Cyclist critical after hit, run over ...

Cyclist critical after hit, run over twice near Sand Lake -- Sp...

There are 47 comments on the Orlando Sentinel story from Apr 1, 2008, titled Cyclist critical after hit, run over twice near Sand Lake -- Sp.... In it, Orlando Sentinel reports that:

An Orlando man is in critical condition this morning after being run over twice early today near Sand Lake Road and John Young Parkway, according to the Florida Highway Patrol.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Orlando Sentinel.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
BSER

Orlando, FL

#2 Apr 1, 2008
I hope they throw the book at him
Mitch

Leesburg, FL

#9 Apr 1, 2008
This guy looks like an arrogant piece of crap! He obviously thought that he was above the law by fleeing the scene but thank God his conscience got the best of him...or maybe he left his wife-beater shirt at the scene and needed to retrieve it.
Boo Hoo

United States

#12 Apr 1, 2008
Where is the love??? Somebody needs a hug.
Boz

United States

#14 Apr 1, 2008
The guy's no dummy. After one DUI, this time he knew to run home, down a couple of shots "to calm my nerves" and THEN call the cops. Yep, he's drunk *now*, but just try to prove he was drunk when he hit the guy on the bike.
Macks

AOL

#20 Apr 1, 2008
The way gas prices are, we'll all be riding bicycles pretty soon.(All that are able to anyway) Better prepare some more bicycle lanes.
five star pedicab

Orlando, FL

#21 Apr 1, 2008
The biker that was hit was riding at 2 am because he is a pedicab driver on I drive and was heading home for the night. I know this man personally and you people who don't know the whole story should keep their trap shut. Many pedicab drivers are deeply saddened by this.
five star pedicab

Orlando, FL

#22 Apr 1, 2008
anyone interested in helping him we are accepting donations
Angel Face

Saint Petersburg, FL

#24 Apr 1, 2008
Macks wrote:
The way gas prices are, we'll all be riding bicycles pretty soon.(All that are able to anyway) Better prepare some more bicycle lanes.
My thoughts exactly.
South Orlando Resident

Winter Park, FL

#29 Apr 1, 2008
I know that intersection too well.
I hate driving my CAR through there, let alone image being on a bike. I think we here in Florida need to look at the roads and drivers more than WHY a man was out ther at 2AM. I have bee pushed off on the shoulder of Sand Lake Rd more than once IN MY CAR by insane drivers!!
Orlando Racist

United States

#31 Apr 1, 2008
Perfect timing for this guy. His probation in the DUI case ended back on March 25th.
scared in FL

United States

#35 Apr 1, 2008
five star pedicab wrote:
anyone interested in helping him we are accepting donations
If the public is interested in making a donation - how would we go about it?
TLT

Cincinnati, OH

#36 Apr 1, 2008
Gloom and Doom wrote:
I feel sorry for the guy who was hit but you have to be a complete idiot to ride a bicycle on any of the roads around here. I've nearly killed several myself. Get those bicycles off the streets. If you want bike paths, trails or sidewalks go talk to the politico's.
I'm an avid cyclist and comments like, "you should't be on the road." really tick me off. READ YOUR DRIVER'S HANDBOOK REGARDING BICYCLISTS ON THE ROAD. Cycles ARE allowed on the road and infact it is safer for us than on the sidewalk or trail, believe it or not. A statistical breakdown of cylce vs car accidents (available on the Florida Bicycle Association's website) shows that once you factor out NIGHT TIME and sidewalk cases, your chances of getting hit on the road on a bike are less than being struck by lightning.

Riding at night does increase your chances of being hit exponentially as was the case here.

But back to the topic of the arrogance of car drivers - when bikes are on the road, they are treated the same as cars - the same RIGHTS and rules apply. Cars don't get priority treatment over bikes and conversely, we must obey the same rules, signals and devices. Essentially, if you come up on a bike and don't have three feet of clearance to pass between you and the bike (The LAW as of Oct. 1, 2007) DON'T PASS. If it means you have to slow you butt down, then do it and wait until you can overtake, just like if you were passing a car!
zzz

Orlando, FL

#37 Apr 1, 2008
Actually he was a young restaurant worker who was sober, driving a very intoxicated girl home, who he did not want her to get a dui as he had already had one, and knew what it was like. I hate how this stories make The person always seem like a bad guy. He was in shock, he went through a traumatic experience, and the drunk woman next to him was screaming you killed somebody, and it scared the daylights out of him. When he came to sound mind after a short freak out (which was only 20 min after the hit, not an hour like the news made it out to be.) It was an hour and a half before a cop had shown up. That is why the time difference. He knew the right thing to do, but it is hard when you have an immature drunk girl screaming in your ear.
concerned

Howey In The Hills, FL

#38 Apr 1, 2008
BSER wrote:
I hope they throw the book at him
I know this Adrian Mancinelli personally for years... I feel sorry about the whole thing.... Praying for the man who was hit...and saddened by the way this whole thing happened...
TLT

Cincinnati, OH

#39 Apr 1, 2008
zzz wrote:
Actually he was a young restaurant worker who was sober, driving a very intoxicated girl home, who he did not want her to get a dui as he had already had one, and knew what it was like. I hate how this stories make The person always seem like a bad guy. He was in shock, he went through a traumatic experience, and the drunk woman next to him was screaming you killed somebody, and it scared the daylights out of him. When he came to sound mind after a short freak out (which was only 20 min after the hit, not an hour like the news made it out to be.) It was an hour and a half before a cop had shown up. That is why the time difference. He knew the right thing to do, but it is hard when you have an immature drunk girl screaming in your ear.
That's all well and good but how do you NOT see a pedicab? What was he doing instead of paying attention to the road?
Timothy - Orlando

United States

#40 Apr 1, 2008
zzz wrote:
Bottom line this PUNK left the scene of an accident and left an injured man lying in the streets. A real MAN would have stopped and called the cops. Again....this is a little scared PUNK...I hope they throw the book at him!!!!!!!!!
BSER

Orlando, FL

#41 Apr 1, 2008
Gloom and Doom wrote:
I feel sorry for the guy who was hit but you have to be a complete idiot to ride a bicycle on any of the roads around here. I've nearly killed several myself. Get those bicycles off the streets. If you want bike paths, trails or sidewalks go talk to the politico's.
Hey idiot, you pay attention, and avoid "killing" anyone.

It is your responsibility to drive carefully and stay away from any bicyclist on the road. Bicyclist have as much rights to be on the road as you do.
BSER

Orlando, FL

#42 Apr 1, 2008
zzz wrote:
If he knew what the right thing to do then, WHY THE HECK DID HE LEAVE THE MAN TO DIE!!!!!????
Mother Against Motorcles

Palm Coast, FL

#43 Apr 1, 2008
See I told you, these 'motorcylcists' are a plage on our society. This rider should be executed!
zzz

Orlando, FL

#44 Apr 1, 2008
The pedicab driver was wearing all dark clothing... that is how you can miss somebody. My prayers are with him, and his loved ones know. My cousin was killed by a drunk driver, so I understand both sides of the coin.

It is Adrian's responsibility, and that is why he called, but in the event of traumatic events, sometimes you don't think with a sound mind at first. The best thing to do is not focus on the fact of just "throwing the book at someone". The worst person so far in this is not adrian, but the motorcylist who DOES think he is above the law, and has not turned himself in. Adrian at least called within the half hour. Yes it was not the best decision to leave and then call, but after coming out of "shock", he did do the right thing. To put all the blame on him, would be equal to saying that doing the right thing (calling and admitting) is wrong. When in actuality he needs to be supported and shown that the strongest point which can be learned from all of this, is that "It is ALWAYS better to do the right thing". No matter how bad it seems at first, it is always better in the end. At least Adrian did come to a sound mind and did the right thing. The fugitive motorcylist is still out there.

Franzoni, all of our prayers are with you.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Orlando Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min old_moose 1,600,134
News Missing 5-year-old Florida girl likely was abdu... (Feb '09) 8 hr zazz 98,515
CASEY: Does the State Have the Goods to Convict? (Mar '10) 9 hr fortmyersf 513,612
News Mansion's reverend has skeletons in his closet (Jul '08) Mon DiLeos D 220
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) Mon Into The Night 63,970
Inspiration Lane - Don't Quit (May '09) Sep 17 Murph 73,838
Billiards/ Pool Tables Sep 15 AceSnooker 1

Orlando Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Orlando Mortgages