FDA calls for urgent warning on tendo...

FDA calls for urgent warning on tendon risks

There are 18 comments on the Orlando Sentinel story from Jul 8, 2008, titled FDA calls for urgent warning on tendon risks. In it, Orlando Sentinel reports that:

Drug safety officials Tuesday imposed the government's most urgent safety warning on Cipro and similar antibiotics, citing evidence that they may lead to tendon ruptures, a serious injury that can leave ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Orlando Sentinel.

Hymie Cohen

Apopka, FL

#1 Jul 8, 2008
Rotator cuff ?

Oy vey?
Sue Miller

Clermont, FL

#2 Jul 8, 2008
I started having severy knee and shoulder pain after being prescribed Levaquin for a "double round" or twenty days to get rid of a lingering nasal infection. Almost immediately after beginning this antibiotic therapy, I began to suffer extreme knee and shoulder pain. The result was a torn rotator cuff, and over $1000 in knee braces to help me walk before anything was done to stop the problem. "Oh, it's just your fybromialgia." was the comment I received when I called to make an initial complaint about the side effects of this Levaquin, which did not, by the way, do anything to cure the sinus infection. It wasn't a sinus infection at all. Finally seeing another doctor, it turns out I have allergic rhinisitis and asthma. One Singulair tablet a day and I am symptom free from the sinus problem. However, I now need surgery to restore my rotator cuff and nothing can be done for my knees.
UN-COMMON SENSE

Baldwin, GA

#3 Jul 8, 2008
Sue Miller wrote:
I started having severy knee and shoulder pain after being prescribed Levaquin for a "double round" or twenty days to get rid of a lingering nasal infection. Almost immediately after beginning this antibiotic therapy, I began to suffer extreme knee and shoulder pain. The result was a torn rotator cuff, and over $1000 in knee braces to help me walk before anything was done to stop the problem. "Oh, it's just your fybromialgia." was the comment I received when I called to make an initial complaint about the side effects of this Levaquin, which did not, by the way, do anything to cure the sinus infection. It wasn't a sinus infection at all. Finally seeing another doctor, it turns out I have allergic rhinisitis and asthma. One Singulair tablet a day and I am symptom free from the sinus problem. However, I now need surgery to restore my rotator cuff and nothing can be done for my knees.
Ms. Miller - my heart goes out to you. I suggest that you engage an excellent attorney.
Hymie Cohen

Apopka, FL

#4 Jul 8, 2008
What about thyroid medicines?
DVC Member

AOL

#5 Jul 8, 2008
Gotta chime in here. One week on Levaquin and every tendon in my body became inflamed. I couldn't climb stairs, open a door, or even stand up without intense pain. My doctor recommended that I immediately stop taking the drug, and cited certain side effects congruent with this article. That was more than six years ago.
OMGWTF

United States

#6 Jul 9, 2008
Tendonitis and rupture are very well known but very rare side effects of quinolones. I really don't see the need for a black box warning in this case just better communication from health care providers and patients who are more willing to listen and read what they are given.
PBC Teacher

United States

#7 Jul 9, 2008
Don't you just love being a Guinea pig? The FDA is just another bureaucratic, governmental agency that doesn't care about people.

All the garbage added to foods and the over-prescription of drugs are the main reasons humans are so sickly. Worst of all it's done with the FDA's stamp of approval.

I got sick and tired of being sick and tired and started eating better (ie no processed junk) stopped taking "maintenance" drugs and started exercising and doing yoga regularly. Guess what? I haven't had a UTI, sinus infection, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, depression or anything other than a couple of mild colds in 3 years.

That old saying "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" is true.

If we can prevent or manage health concerns with lifestyle change why isn't it more widely promoted and supported?

What are we paying the government for if they're not adequately protecting the people from things like this?
Suzy Q

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#8 Jul 9, 2008
We, as Americans, are lazy. We take pills to wake up..take pills to feel good..take pills to go to sleep.. and do nothing in between to help ourselves. We depend on doctors to make us feel better. I like what PBC Teacher did. got off his/her butt.. took control of his/her own life.. and feels better. How many more of us should follow that example. I have a friend who was diagnosed with a disease..put on so many meds.. only to discover.. if she stopped taking them. if she worked out and ate right.. she was fine. go figure. We need to take control of our own lives..and stop Beechin!!!!
Leslie

Murfreesboro, TN

#9 Jul 9, 2008
DVC Member wrote:
Gotta chime in here. One week on Levaquin and every tendon in my body became inflamed. I couldn't climb stairs, open a door, or even stand up without intense pain. My doctor recommended that I immediately stop taking the drug, and cited certain side effects congruent with this article. That was more than six years ago.
I have a question for DVC Member....."How long did it take you to get back to normal...or are you"????
muckraker462

Seymour, IN

#10 Jul 10, 2008
The Centers for Disease Control released a report this week linking nearly 1,000 injuries and more than a dozen deaths to the Gardasil vaccine.
These warnings often go unnoticed and more and more young women are being exposed to the possibility of being injured by this vaccine. State governments have picked up on the trend of mandating its young women to receive Gardasil, an obvious boon to the manufacturer.
Please read more about this and take action before more injuries are suffered: http://www.gardasil-talk.com
mimi

Kissimmee, FL

#11 Jul 21, 2008
So- Does anyone know a lawyer that is doing a class action yet?
I spent $5000 trying to figure out what was wrong with me and how to fix it over a 1 year period. Two and a half years later- I am pretty much normal again.
The first reaction was kinda a swollen tongue. I called the DR and his nurse said take the next dose (apparently it was said somewhere in the reactions that swelling was normal and would go away). I took the next dose and had major chest pain!!!
Went to emergency room. Told it was reflux. Went on lidocaine/maalox. Went on reflux meds. Only got worse.
I went through two upper GI's. One lower GI, a hyda scan, and even naturopathic meds. NOTHING worked.
It finally came to me being on about 5 foods that didn't "hurt" my innards and giving up on ever getting better. I got to about 110 lbs, was suicidal, and went to work, slept through my planning time, and slept when I got home.
I found vitamin c and used high doses of that with garlic and the pain subsided. Not saying it would help for anyone else, but it was a miracle for me.
I would like to get money back for all those stupid tests and all the pain I went through. I was a walking zombie for 2 years.

Level 9

Since: Sep 11

Weeki Wachee, Florida

#15 May 9, 2012
Steriods cause muscles to be weak and that can lead to tendon damage.

Level 9

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#17 May 12, 2012
Levaquin injured me. Rotator cuff is all screwed up and I blame the injury on the drug.

Level 9

Since: Sep 11

Weeki Wachee, Florida

#18 May 12, 2012
Charles R Darwin wrote:
Levaquin injured me. Rotator cuff is all screwed up and I blame the injury on the drug.
My husband said Levaquin and others like Cipro due cause these problems. You are right to blame the injury on the drug.
Scott

UAE

#19 Aug 16, 2013
Naturally, I am skeptical of everything online. http://inhousegeneric.com is legitimate. I placed my first order for the smallest amount possible. It arrived sooner than expected. I didn't pay the extra money for speedy air mail. I placed another order that was much larger and it came right on time. I will definitely use this company again for even larger orders now that I trust them. They also give you discounts every time you place an order which is cool. One thing to keep in mind is if you place a larger order, they will send half in one shipment, and then the other half after that to avoid customs scrutinizing your package. I am very happy, I no longer need to pay tons of money to see a doctor and therapist (and have them tell me a bunch of stuff I already know) in order to get my medication.
Amanda

Milwaukee, WI

#21 Sep 10, 2013
Sue Miller wrote:
. Sue try Magnesium and a women's multivitamin. Along with Magnesium Chloride baths. It works wonders for Cipro poisoning.
Arin

Bucharest, Romania

#22 Sep 13, 2013
have been researching for months and reading reviews for each pharmacy and finally decided to take the plunge and order from one. After coming to the conclusion http://goo.gl/bLFWQG seemed the most safest and had the best feedback I ordered my pills. Was very apprehensive at first due to cc fraud, ell and they are good i would definetely recommend and purchase againspam and being generally ripped off (have not received one spam email and no cc fraud) order process and checkout was simple.
placed my order on my debit card and was charged straight away and received confirmation email immediately. choose the speedy del trackable and was advised del would be 7-9 days and order was placed on the 08/01. was just about to email them today to chase up as now 15 days but behold package had been posted through my door. packaging seems as shown on webiste. apart from small delay on advertised shipping time i have been generally please with the pharmacy.
wont be taking the pills for another few weeks yet but all going well and they are good i would definetely recommend and purchase again from them.
Roosters

Spring, TX

#23 Sep 19, 2013
Does age have anything to do with it?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Orlando Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 45 min bob53 1,567,013
News Missing 5-year-old Florida girl likely was abdu... (Feb '09) 4 hr zazz 98,454
last post wins! (Jul '11) 6 hr Princess Hey 6,063
3 word game (Jan '11) 6 hr Princess Hey 14,307
keep a word----drop a word (Feb '11) 6 hr Princess Hey 19,661
New Game ***Last Word + 2 (Oct '11) 6 hr Princess Hey 13,019
two words (Jul '10) 6 hr Princess Hey 28,167
CASEY: Does the State Have the Goods to Convict? (Mar '10) Tue Murphey_Law 513,339

Orlando Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Orlando Mortgages