Alligator Found in Tennessee Lake

Alligator Found in Tennessee Lake

There are 91 comments on the Orlando Sentinel story from Mar 13, 2007, titled Alligator Found in Tennessee Lake. In it, Orlando Sentinel reports that:

The alligator clearly wasn't from around here. Tennessee wildlife officers discovered a 5-foot alligator Sunday in Watts Bar Lake near Spring City, about 60 miles south of Knoxville.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Orlando Sentinel.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Kevin L

Denmark

#1 Mar 14, 2007
Kinda funny how Gators are't liked too much in Tenn. (LOL)
Mr Yu

Plymouth, FL

#2 Mar 14, 2007
Smart gator. Must have heard one of his buddies was shot after chewing the a** of a crackhead.
Suzi

AOL

#3 Mar 14, 2007
I think they should have tried to capture the animal alive, and moved it to a zoo or some sort of wildlife park instead of shooting it.
Tenn hillbilly

Round O, SC

#4 Mar 15, 2007
when i was a kid you could order small allgators out of a mag...i got three of them..turned them loose in a farm pound after they got about 12 inch long...guess what they lived and got much bigger,one of them was over 3 ft long...they started biting the cows and dad shot them...so that stupid wild life officer who dont think they will live here is crazy..they lay under mud when it gets cold..for days at a time..one is found in the tn. river..every so often..this is nothing new..it makes the news..then people dont rember the last time...matter of fact a few years ago while commercial fishing on watts bar lake we caught a small one in a net it drowned before we pulled net up..how can so called wildlife officers have so little knowledge of tn.wildlife...may be they never got out of there school room..or pickup truck long enough to get in the woods were the wildlife lives
Mr Yu

Plymouth, FL

#5 Mar 15, 2007
Tenn hillbilly wrote:
when i was a kid you could order small allgators out of a mag...i got three of them..turned them loose in a farm pound after they got about 12 inch long...guess what they lived and got much bigger,one of them was over 3 ft long...they started biting the cows and dad shot them...so that stupid wild life officer who dont think they will live here is crazy..they lay under mud when it gets cold..for days at a time..one is found in the tn. river..every so often..this is nothing new..it makes the news..then people dont rember the last time...matter of fact a few years ago while commercial fishing on watts bar lake we caught a small one in a net it drowned before we pulled net up..how can so called wildlife officers have so little knowledge of tn.wildlife...may be they never got out of there school room..or pickup truck long enough to get in the woods were the wildlife lives
Maybe he just wanted to shoot something. You know , for the kids to have. In school and ..stuff.
Chase Baxter

Tellico Plains, TN

#6 Apr 24, 2007
I live in Tennessee I'm lucky I didn't get my parts bit off when I went swiming last summer
Lisa S

Elizabethton, TN

#7 May 13, 2007
WTH?!? I am furious, as my husband was told today there was a gator shot at Indian Boundary Lake near Tellico Plains. I thought someone was pulling my husband's leg, bc we are to camp there soon, with my 2 teens and a 3 yr old. In trying to prove to my husband that it HAS to be a joke, I came across a web page stating that TWRA has an agreement with Florida officials, i.e. too many gators down there, and gators used to be native to this area. If I find out this is true, and they have been BROUGHT here by TN government w/o citizens knowing or even being noti-FIED, or warned... I am going to be PISSED! If any one knows ANYTHING about this please post here!!!
Native Floridan

San Antonio, TX

#8 May 14, 2007
Lisa S. I do not believe aligators were ever native in TN.
Tenn hillbilly

Round O, SC

#9 May 18, 2007
Lisa S wrote:
WTH?!? I am furious, as my husband was told today there was a gator shot at Indian Boundary Lake near Tellico Plains. I thought someone was pulling my husband's leg, bc we are to camp there soon, with my 2 teens and a 3 yr old. In trying to prove to my husband that it HAS to be a joke, I came across a web page stating that TWRA has an agreement with Florida officials, i.e. too many gators down there, and gators used to be native to this area. If I find out this is true, and they have been BROUGHT here by TN government w/o citizens knowing or even being noti-FIED, or warned... I am going to be PISSED! If any one knows ANYTHING about this please post here!!!
if tn citzens had any idea how many animals are brought to tn by t.w.a. they would be alarmed..the yellow hornet that fly by the millions at night and eat holes in your house and electric poles.and sting you are just one of thousands non native species brought to tn..t.w.a. has released thousands of rattle snakes.and other poison snakes in the last few years around tn..we even got black adder snakes here now.a species native to europe..they are poison.and fast killing out the native snakes..beware of the dull color black snakes.they are not your harmless black snake.they are the poison black adder..t.w.a. does more to destory are native species of plants and animals than any one could belive..most of the time to help paper companys..or sell permits to hunt released animals such as elk.which destory deer habit,and kill deer..most small game habit is destoryed to raise deer.which bring in big money from hunters
Tenn hillbilly

Round O, SC

#10 May 18, 2007
Native Floridan wrote:
Lisa S. I do not believe aligators were ever native in TN.
i dont think they are native..but when i was a kid you could order them from magazines as babys..a lot got turned loose.and belive me they will live here.untill they are shot,in farm ponds or the river..they are spoted in the river every few years,,from chatt to knoxville..its not unusual ..on the news every few years
trisha

AOL

#11 Jun 9, 2007
I seen a black snake that was black that when bothered flattened his head like a ccobra it is not a bull or rat snake can any one tell me what kind of snake this was?
Tenn hillbilly

Walterboro, SC

#12 Jun 16, 2007
trisha wrote:
I seen a black snake that was black that when bothered flattened his head like a ccobra it is not a bull or rat snake can any one tell me what kind of snake this was?
yes i can...it is a black adder snake...found in north england and irland...they are now all over this mountain..they are deadly poison..just had a german shepperd dog bite by one...these snakes are black adders...they got long fangs.can move about in cold weather..are killing out all the native snakes..if you see one kill it...but beware they will attack you..they dont run like the native snakes do..i have killed several..when you kill one notice its fangs...i first found them about 5 year ago...if you get bit good luck..the doctors dont know this snake is here..and sad to say..the game dept..is to stuiped to know what they are..some game wardens think they are cross between a copper head and black snake...that shows there total lack of knowledge..a copper head has live young.a black snake lays eggs..
Pamala

AOL

#13 Jun 22, 2007
I have lived and swam with gators all my life, they are just like every other being..let them be and they won't bother you it is when humans start feeding them they become a problem.
snowymtn3

AOL

#15 Aug 4, 2007
trisha wrote:
I seen a black snake that was black that when bothered flattened his head like a ccobra it is not a bull or rat snake can any one tell me what kind of snake this was?
Sounds like a hog nose snake, he does like a cobra. He also can play dead.

“It's just a box of rain...”

Level 2

Since: May 07

Dickson, TN

#16 Aug 4, 2007
Tenn hillbilly wrote:
<quoted text>yes i can...it is a black adder snake...found in north england and irland...they are now all over this mountain..they are deadly poison..just had a german shepperd dog bite by one...these snakes are black adders...they got long fangs.can move about in cold weather..are killing out all the native snakes..if you see one kill it...but beware they will attack you..they dont run like the native snakes do..i have killed several..when you kill one notice its fangs...i first found them about 5 year ago...if you get bit good luck..the doctors dont know this snake is here..and sad to say..the game dept..is to stuiped to know what they are..some game wardens think they are cross between a copper head and black snake...that shows there total lack of knowledge..a copper head has live young.a black snake lays eggs..
Looking through online sources, I find no reference to a black adder. It is also well known that Ireland has been free of snakes since the last ice age. There is only one species of snake still referred to as an adder (it is found in England and is venomous, but not regarded as very dangerous) and two others sometimes called adders; none of them are black. I'm tempted to think you are pulling our legs. Can you provide more exact information as to the name of the species to which you are referring?
hillbilly

Round O, SC

#17 Aug 26, 2007
NightSerf wrote:
<quoted text>
Looking through online sources, I find no reference to a black adder. It is also well known that Ireland has been free of snakes since the last ice age. There is only one species of snake still referred to as an adder (it is found in England and is venomous, but not regarded as very dangerous) and two others sometimes called adders; none of them are black. I'm tempted to think you are pulling our legs. Can you provide more exact information as to the name of the species to which you are referring?
look in any book that shows diffrent species of snakes....most adders are black..and these snakes are here..i would not pull your leg..
hillbilly

Round O, SC

#18 Aug 26, 2007
snowymtn3 wrote:
<quoted text>
Sounds like a hog nose snake, he does like a cobra. He also can play dead.
you might of noticed this snake can also flaten his body...he also has fangs..and will chase you its agressive snake..i killed one..another one bit my german shepard.it died a few days latter...also the adder is the only snake that can flaten its body..

“It's just a box of rain...”

Level 2

Since: May 07

Dickson, TN

#19 Aug 26, 2007
hillbilly wrote:
<quoted text>look in any book that shows diffrent species of snakes....most adders are black..and these snakes are here..i would not pull your leg..
Hey, hillbilly, you've been away for awhile. Hope you had a good time, where ever you were. I'm not questioning your word, only your knowledge. Could you give me the name of the book where you fond your black adder and maybe even the author, publisher, and page number? Thanks.
sisco6069

United States

#20 Sep 2, 2007
Me and a buddy were at his shop and run across a snake we thought is was a chicken snake.. but it had markings on it like a coperhead but it was solid black? what in the world was it, and it rattled its tail and had fangs??
sisco6069

United States

#21 Sep 2, 2007
and im from athens TN..

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Orlando Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min Cheech the Conser... 1,620,341
CASEY: Does the State Have the Goods to Convict? (Mar '10) 2 hr Murphey_Law 514,176
Puerto Rico Sucks (Jun '08) 6 hr That guy 1,339
News Phelps in hot water again: Swimmer apologizes a... (Feb '09) 11 hr Fart Pool 210
News Missing 5-year-old Florida girl likely was abdu... (Feb '09) 14 hr zazz 98,551
___Justice For Caylee___Cont. (Feb '10) Fri lisa 25,612
New Game ***Last Word + 2 (Oct '11) Fri Princess Hey 13,071

Orlando Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Orlando Mortgages