Police scandal: Tiny Kankakee County town is divided as heated ...

So when the former police chief was accused last year of operating a bogus prostitution sting and pocketing some $400,000, the locals started talking. Full Story
First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Homer Ballard

Westchester, IL

#1 Apr 3, 2009
Who knew there are so many goofy people in Kankakee county?
show me

Lincoln, NE

#3 Apr 3, 2009
Homer Ballard wrote:
Who knew there are so many goofy people in Kankakee county?
homer it s the home town of george ryan there are plenty of crook s i wonder how they can have poker machine s in every bar and quick shop but no one does anything about illegal gambling not one thing
Homer Ballard

Westchester, IL

#4 Apr 3, 2009
show me wrote:
<quoted text>homer it s the home town of george ryan there are plenty of crook s i wonder how they can have poker machine s in every bar and quick shop but no one does anything about illegal gambling not one thing
Wow, Even the Illinois State Police must be on the take from gamblers!
Pete

Chicago, IL

#6 Apr 3, 2009
ALL of Illinois is corrupt. Not just Chicago. This state has the government we deserve.
eddie

Chicago, IL

#8 Apr 3, 2009
Cadillac wrote:
Its too bad many of the whites forced out of the south side via ethnic cleansing sponsored by HUD have to live in K3.
Howcome the government lets blacks live rent free and the white man has to pay!
Sounds like slavery to me!
Nobody was "forced" anywhere. Whites left because they didn't want to live near blacks, who were moving into their neighborhoods.

But what on earth does any of this have to do with this article?

Your white hood is showing.
Wonder

Chicago, IL

#9 Apr 3, 2009
Why is the town divided? So somebody got arrested for abusing their police powers. Are there people who support this?
Steve

Chicago, IL

#11 Apr 3, 2009
Wonder wrote:
Why is the town divided? So somebody got arrested for abusing their police powers. Are there people who support this?
I was wondering the same thing. Apparently the Fitts bros. have close ties to the community for many of the residents to be behind them. With that sort of loyalty, it's no wonder corruption like this thrives.
King Richie

Carol Stream, IL

#12 Apr 3, 2009
Smart Cop, we could have used a guy like that on the CPD.
bob

Algonquin, IL

#13 Apr 3, 2009
Terribly written story---kept making references to the town being divided, but offered nothing, other than the scam the cops were pulling, for why the town was divided over this...were some reaping the benefits of this scam, and now are mad, or what? I dont follow the point of the divided over this town theme.

I follow the blackmail scam that was set up by the cops, but why on earth would any resident be in support of such a scam? If they were, then indict them too.

I will be sure not to stay in the Hotel I used to stay in Manteno anymore after reading of this---they had to be in on it too. Used to meet some relatives from IN there and do some local kinds of things---need a new hotel now. The thought of it all gives me the creeps.

Maybe they should open up the nuthouse again there.
DE WHO LIVES IN MANTENO

United States

#14 Apr 3, 2009
show me wrote:
they need to look deeper into the police chief from the town of manteno he is just a guilty as fitt s in this case bernie need s to be brought to justice to
YOU DON'T EVEN LIVE HERE AND THE CHIEF OF GRANT PARK NOT MANTENO THE POLICE IN MANTENO ARE VERY TRUSTING OF OTHER OFFICERS THAT IS THEIR CRIME THE POLICE FORCE IN MANTENO ARE NOT CORRUPT.
Puh-leese

Petersburg, IL

#16 Apr 3, 2009
Good, maybe now they'll quit blaming everything on Craigslist!
Common

New York, NY

#17 Apr 3, 2009
And you thought Chicago was bad????
Disgusted

Manteno, IL

#18 Apr 3, 2009
show me wrote:
<quoted text>homer it s the home town of george ryan there are plenty of crook s i wonder how they can have poker machine s in every bar and quick shop but no one does anything about illegal gambling not one thing
First you name Bernie Thompson, showing knowledge of Kankakee County. Then you name Kankakee County, not the city of Kankakee, as the home of George Ryan, demonstrating ignorance. Which is it? But since you brought it up, remember when Bernie got busted for DUI on the way back from Champaign and tried to get out of it by flashing his badge?
Disgusted

Manteno, IL

#19 Apr 3, 2009
bob wrote:
Terribly written story---kept making references to the town being divided, but offered nothing, other than the scam the cops were pulling, for why the town was divided over this...were some reaping the benefits of this scam, and now are mad, or what? I dont follow the point of the divided over this town theme.
I follow the blackmail scam that was set up by the cops, but why on earth would any resident be in support of such a scam? If they were, then indict them too.
I will be sure not to stay in the Hotel I used to stay in Manteno anymore after reading of this---they had to be in on it too. Used to meet some relatives from IN there and do some local kinds of things---need a new hotel now. The thought of it all gives me the creeps.
Maybe they should open up the nuthouse again there.
This is a rather ignorant response. The story quoted residents divided against each other. And what does a Manteno hotel have to do with the Manteno police?
show me

Lincoln, NE

#20 Apr 3, 2009
sound s like organized crime to me
True

Chicago, IL

#21 Apr 3, 2009
Wonder wrote:
Why is the town divided? So somebody got arrested for abusing their police powers. Are there people who support this?
Remember the police chief still knows the names of some of the small town folk who went to see a prostitute! You really would not want to be on his bad side if your name was on a list somewhere...the wife might not like that.
LeftiewithaHeart

Indianapolis, IN

#22 Apr 3, 2009
You are right about the entire state being corrupt. Manteno is a town to watch with their crooked Mayor Nugent pulling scam upon scam on the town. I used to live there and keep a close eye on the politics. He claims to have beautified the downtown. Take a look, it is vacant. He appears to have bought land to the west that oddly he and his crony relatives own and plan to develop, leaving the downtown and heart of Manteno out of the picture. What happens when you take away the heart? The body dies! I recently found the forum on the CoC site and watched it. HIs trustees contradicted themselves repeatedly.
golfer from grant park

Ottawa, IL

#23 Apr 3, 2009
Was just surfing and came across a website Illinois Review - topic -Manteno Mayor Nugent wants 1.8 mill in stimulus money for a road he owns 10 acres on?????
manteno4life

Indianapolis, IN

#24 Apr 3, 2009
I went to the www.outragenews.org site and read about the latest Nugent accusations. It has opened my eyes to what may be going on in this town. I hear rumors, but had no idea. Everyone should be aware of this as the election is this coming week.
manteno4life

Indianapolis, IN

#25 Apr 3, 2009
WOW! My eyes have been opened by these sites.
Everyone needs to know the rumors we hear are not just rumors.

www.outragenews.org
http://illinoisreview.typepad.com/illinoisrev...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Orlando Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 18 min fetch almighty 1,124,298
CASEY: Does the State Have the Goods to Convict? (Mar '10) 2 hr LizW 488,790
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 2 hr Earthling-1 47,470
Inspiration Lane - Don't Quit (May '09) 3 hr LizW 70,494
Let's Chat (Jan '12) 3 hr LizW 17,666
any one want to make fun of me?? SPH 11 hr wolfnasty1556 1
keep a word----drop a word (Feb '11) Sat Games Champ Riggies 17,160
Orlando Dating
Find my Match

Orlando Jobs

Orlando People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Orlando News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Orlando

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]