Missing 5-year-old Florida girl likel...

Missing 5-year-old Florida girl likely was abducted, police say

There are 98021 comments on the Orlando Sentinel story from Feb 12, 2009, titled Missing 5-year-old Florida girl likely was abducted, police say. In it, Orlando Sentinel reports that:

"They're doing as well as can be expected," Duckett told the Orlando Sentinel this morning.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Orlando Sentinel.

Anne

Cape Coral, FL

#100380 Aug 26, 2014
zazz wrote:
Did you know...
The world's oldest emergency phone number is the U.K's 999 number that was introduced on June 30, 1937. It was implemented after a call to the fire brigade was held in a queue with the telephone company. The delay cost five women their lives in the fire. The first-ever 911 call in the United States happened on February 16, 1968, in Haleyville, Alabama. It wasn't until 1999 that Congress directed the FCC to make 911 the universal emergency number for the United States for all telephone services. Known as the "The City Where 911 Began," Haleyville, Alabama, holds a 911 festival every year that honors all police, fire, and emergency personnel.*** In 2006, 5-year-old Robert Turner called 911 when his mother collapsed form heart problems. The call taker thought he was making a prank call and told the little boy that she would send help and hung up. The boy waited three hours and, with his mother still unconscious, called 911 again. This time, a different call taker told the boy that he would get in trouble if he kept playing around. Scared, the boy hung up. His mom died.
Interesting. I would have thought that the first 911 call in the US happened a lot earlier than on 2/16/68. Just goes to show how time slips away quickly then doesn't seem so long ago.

Tragically, I've heard of a lot of 911 calls over the years that have been bumbled by dispatchers that cost people their lives, that could have been prevented. I'm sure they get a lot of hoax calls too, but still, a child reporting his mother down, no excuse to throw it away like it's just a plaything. Twice. So sad he lost his mother due to stupidity, when obviously she probably could have been saved since she was down for a number of hours and still holding on.

I just hope the child had a guardian who was able to reach a nice settlement for him against those who contributed to his mothers' death due to their deliberate failure to respond; and I hope 911 dispatchers have learned some lessons from these kinds of tragedies they contributed too.
Anne

Cape Coral, FL

#100381 Aug 26, 2014
I see we've had some more cases of parents/guardians leaving little kids unattended in hot vehicles since self-righteous lyin', sexting all day, daddy was arrested up near Atlanta for leaving little Cooper abandoned for seven hours, dead, claiming he 'forgot'. Several more around the country since then, also 'forgot', some while drinking in bars, one while having sex with a hooker against a building..... Now one in the Palatka/Satsuma area has left 3 kids in his hot truck, whose story I haven't even read yet.

Personally, I've come to the conclusion that ANYONE who leaves a child alone in a car, even for five minutes, ought to be arrested on the spot, no exceptions and no handy-dandy explanations; not even to make a quick trip to take their frozen foods inside the home. Just sayin', suppose someone snatches your child in that mere five minutes; or you slip and fall and break your leg, there's no one there to help you, nor can you reach a phone, and there you lay while your child is suffocating in your hot car and whose screams are going unheard?

So you take the child inside FIRST! No exceptions. Lock'em all up, then maybe people can learn to remember, you DON'T leave a child alone in an automobile.
Anne

Cape Coral, FL

#100382 Aug 26, 2014
There was another case this summer where two or three children perished while playing unattended in a vacant car in their yard, and somehow got themselves locked inside FOR HOURS with no one seeing about them. Should this child caretaker have been arrested? Absolutely.

Even uneducated country parents back in my day knew never to allow the kids around or in an unattended vehicle. My dad used to buy old cars and restore them mechanically, he just loved dong this and making extra money off them. He frequently had one or more old cars sitting around the yard getting them ready to resale.

I remember once he had door handles roped together and tied with heavy knots. Looking back, it must have been a chore for my mother to keep us all (seven) away from those cars; but I'll guarantee this, we were NEVER allowed anywhere around those cars, not even to touch them. Usually we never knew if they were locked or unlocked, or even if the gas tanks had caps on them; we'd have been whipped with peach tree switches within an inch of our lives had we ever gone near one of those cars. It wasn't that they had much value as they didn't, but our lives sure had value to our parents.

What is WRONG with people now that their childrens' lives and their welfare have such little value to them?
Anne

Cape Coral, FL

#100383 Aug 26, 2014
Good morning Miz Vic! I've been intending to get back to you for weeks now, thinking of you everyday, just too lethargic to sit here and do much posting, have been low on focus and concentration. One thing I wanted to straighten up with you Vic, is to tell you that I was partly wrong in telling you not to take your hubby with you sometimes on these week-end get-aways.

Yes, while it's true that sometimes I took off by myself for a week-end just to find some much needed peace and quiet, and most frequently when I went to visit my family in Alabama since he didn't like going there anyhow, nor did I want to hear his mouth about having to go there; so this worked out just fine. But there were also a couple of trips when he did go with me and we had a great time just being out on the road and eating out at different places, just didn't stay too long in Montgomery. Even Morrisons Cafeterias were better down south. Our favorite was a KFC in Birmingham, who had the best friend chicken in the country; and another place in Tenn with a sign that just said "eats", and one in Ky that was 'down-home' hilarious but with wonderful food.

Then there were those times we would take off and go to Gatlinburg, which was the nearest tourist resort to Cincy. We loved to go there. And Pigeon Forge. Then there was that trip to Graceland, that came about quite accidentally when I had made a business trip to Jackson, Miss and refused to get back on the little plane to fly back and he had to come get me. We had a marvelous time. The fact is, we were always more at peace when we hit the road together and got away from HIS family. True story. Obviously, he needed to get away from their tense inflated egos too sometimes. Moral to the story: Take your hubby with you when you can Vic, maybe he needs to get away too sometimes. It's those pleasant times we spent together AWAY from home that I remember best now.
Anne

Cape Coral, FL

#100384 Aug 26, 2014
Well drats. My last post, to you Vic, did not show up..... AND it was kept under the minimum number of letters. Damnit. I just hate with that happens! Sorry Vic, will have to get back to you later. xx00xx...

“JUSTICE DENIED, AGAIN!!!”

Level 8

Since: Mar 10

Location hidden

#100385 Aug 26, 2014
Did you know...

... that that yesterday was Born to Run Day? In 1975, Bruce Springsteen's album "Born to Run" was released. Bruce Frederick Joseph Springsteen is an American musician and singer-songwriter. He has sold more than 64 million albums in the United States (making him the 15th highest selling artist of all-time) and more than 120 million records worldwide, making him one of the world's best-selling artists of all time. Congrats, Bruce... and thank you for the great music!

Level 8

Location hidden

#100386 Aug 26, 2014

Did you know...

... that today (Tuesday) is Women's Equality Day? In 1971, after much work, and at the urging of U.S. Representative Bella Abzug (D-NY), Congress designated August 26 each year as "Women's Equality Day." This day was selected to commemorate the passage of the 19th Amendment to the Constitution on August 26, 1920, granting women the right to vote.

Level 8

Location hidden

#100387 Aug 27, 2014
Did you know...

... that today is Global Forgiveness Day? Forgiveness Day is a time to forgive and to be forgiven. Do your part: Take a few moments to sincerely forgive someone. And, make it public. That way forgiveness will spread!

Level 8

Location hidden

#100388 Aug 27, 2014
Hi Anne. I posted 3 posts to you a few days ago and they showed up but when I came back the next day they had vanished. I suspect it was because they were revamping the forum.

Level 8

Location hidden

#100389 Aug 27, 2014
"Before you quit, try. Before you talk, listen. Before you react, think. Before you criticize, wait. Before you move on, forgive."

Author Unknown
Anne

Cape Coral, FL

#100390 Aug 28, 2014
GOOOOOD MORNING Zazz, Vic; My dear friend who used to post here and still keeps in touch with me via email, King George and all! Thinking of you all and wishing you a great day! xx00xx... Anne
Anne

Cape Coral, FL

#100391 Aug 28, 2014
zazz wrote:
Hi Anne. I posted 3 posts to you a few days ago and they showed up but when I came back the next day they had vanished. I suspect it was because they were revamping the forum.
Hi Sweet Zazzie!

Awww.... I did not see your posts Zazz, and was looking in fairly often too. So sorry I never got to read them. I also typed a nice long post thanking you, Vic, KG, my anonymous friend, and everyone else who had prayed for me but it never showed up. I wanted you all to know that I am SO MUCH BETTER, my unbearable pain finally subsided and I was able to get off the potent pain pills entirely! God has been SO merciful and kind to me, and HEARD the prayers coming from his people! Bless your souls for pleading for me, many times when I was not able to plead for myself.

I will always love and care for you all. Have missed you all too. Have missed you too Sami, and many times wondered about you and your family, especially about your hubby. Hope you all are well. xx00xx....
Anne

Cape Coral, FL

#100392 Aug 28, 2014
zazz wrote:
Did you know...
... that today (Tuesday) is Women's Equality Day? In 1971, after much work, and at the urging of U.S. Representative Bella Abzug (D-NY), Congress designated August 26 each year as "Women's Equality Day." This day was selected to commemorate the passage of the 19th Amendment to the Constitution on August 26, 1920, granting women the right to vote.
Nope. I did not know this. Have never read the 19th amendment, but do remember Bella Abzug and her notorious popularity in later years. So 8/26/20 was when we gained the right to vote? I thought it was much later than this. Can't imagine how the amendment ever passed as women had no rights; that being because our laws were set up by men, for men, and to protect men. Most laws still are.

Can't imagine how any woman ever gets her foot inside the mans' revolving door, considering that (not all, but) most men hate us for being smarter than they are (not all women in the business world, but most) and aren't ABOUT to let us rule the day unless it is forced down on their little pointed heads. THIS was one of the reasons I became a real estate broker even if it meant I had to fight and claw my way to the top, and did. I knew I could beat them at their own game, and did.

They just don't get it; too stupid I guess, that this is the reason God created woman in the first place. He recognized that the pathetic man needed help! In every way. But what do these dummies do? Fight against Gods' own blessings in their life... The WOMAN. The dumb asses. Meanwhile, the beat goes on.... he he he!
Anne

Cape Coral, FL

#100393 Aug 28, 2014
zazz wrote:
Did you know...
... that today is Global Forgiveness Day? Forgiveness Day is a time to forgive and to be forgiven. Do your part: Take a few moments to sincerely forgive someone. And, make it public. That way forgiveness will spread!
Well. Well. Well.... This one isn't all that easy, is it? I've forgiven so many times towards people who have wronged me and who didn't care one iota if they did. And never did care. AND kept it up. Some peeps just don't have it in their heart to accept the kindness that is shown to them after they have deeply wounded someone else, yet the one they hurt is willing to let it go with a smile or with an apology to them for THEIR actions; when you were not the one who created or caused the unpleasant situation in the first place.

It's not really a matter of forgiveness, always. Years later it still comes back to you; it's not that you don't forgive them, or wouldn't; it's just that they don't ever let it go or accept what they caused themselves, with kindness; nor do they ever extend their hand in true friendship. In time you just have to let it go, eliminate them from your thinking, and move on. PEACE is a great thing; a thing that many people never attain, and you can't have this peace unless you let these people go from your life. GOD will have to deal with them in his own timing, one way or another; I guess if there's any forgiveness left to be made it's going to have to be up to him to do it, or not.

Level 8

Location hidden

#100394 Aug 31, 2014
Did you know...

... that today (Sunday) is National Trail Mix Day? Grab some dried fruit, grains, nuts and chocolate, mix it all together, start snacking and celebrate National Trail Mix Day!
Trail mix is an ideal hike snack food because it is lightweight, easy to store, nutritious and provides a quick energy boost. Have a great National Trail Mix day and HAPPY TRAILS!

Level 8

Location hidden

#100395 Aug 31, 2014
"If you are too busy to laugh, you are too busy."

Proverb
Anne

Cape Coral, FL

#100396 Aug 31, 2014
Wishing everyone a safe, relaxing and fun filled Labor Day with friends and family. And if this isn't possible, well then, enjoy your day anyway~ xx00zzz

Level 8

Location hidden

#100397 Aug 31, 2014
Anne, hi there.

Topix will not let me reply to you.

Some betrayals are unforgivable.
Anne

Cape Coral, FL

#100398 Sep 1, 2014
zazz wrote:
Anne, hi there.
Topix will not let me reply to you.
Some betrayals are unforgivable.
Hi dear one....

Rather strange,'er Jazz, that Topix keeps messing with 'correcting' this forum but it's getting worse, not better, huh? So far I don't get the point, do you?

Level 8

Location hidden

#100401 Sep 1, 2014
"Education is the ability to listen to almost anything without losing your temper or elf-confidence."

Robert Frost

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Orlando Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 min Grey Ghost 1,374,965
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 3 hr Earthling-1 58,863
CASEY: Does the State Have the Goods to Convict? (Mar '10) 9 hr Murphey_Law 513,039
News Two DeLand middle schools on lockdown (Mar '09) 13 hr DWB 7
Change one letter game (Sep '11) 14 hr Princess Hey 3,037
Double Fun Word Game (Mar '11) 14 hr Princess Hey 13,038
last post wins! (Jul '11) 14 hr Princess Hey 5,937
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Orlando Mortgages