Missing 5-year-old Florida girl likel...

Missing 5-year-old Florida girl likely was abducted, police say

There are 98614 comments on the Orlando Sentinel story from Feb 12, 2009, titled Missing 5-year-old Florida girl likely was abducted, police say. In it, Orlando Sentinel reports that:

"They're doing as well as can be expected," Duckett told the Orlando Sentinel this morning.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Orlando Sentinel.

“JUSTICE DENIED, AGAIN!!!”

Level 8

Since: Mar 10

Location hidden

#96779 Oct 9, 2013
Maddie McCann spotted alive on island?
By HLNtv.com Staff
updated 8:22 PM EDT, Mon October 07, 2013

Madeleine McCann, then 3, vanished from Portugal in 2007
Witness claims he was told Maddie was spotted alive on a Mediterranean island a few weeks ago, according to reports
Scotland Yard Detectives believe she could still be alive

http://www.hlntv.com/video/2013/10/07/maddie-...
Canton, OH

#96781 Oct 9, 2013
King George wrote:
<quoted text>
That's the thing, Karma. Elisa wasn't lying.
The terms of her plea agreement were:
""First, in exchange for ending the search for Zahra Baker and ending the mystery that surrounded her death, the prosecution of Elisa Baker would be limited to second-degree murder so long as her statement to law enforcement was truthful," District Attorney James C. Gaither said in a press release today.
"Second, in the event that it was determined that Elisa Baker was not truthful, she could be prosecuted for first-degree murder, but her statements and evidence would be excluded," the district attorney continued. "In other words, Elisa Baker's statements would be admissible only in a prosecution of second-degree murder or less.""
http://murderpedia.org/female.B/b/baker-elisa...
Throughout the investigation, Elisa maintained that Adam had dismembered Zahra's body, and that she and Adam, BOTH, had disposed of the body parts. When cadaver dogs were brought in, they hit on BOTH the Camry (Baker family car), and the Tahoe (work truck). reinforcing Elisa's claim that she did not act alone in the disposal.
Elisa was only able to lead investigators to SOME of Zahra's body parts. Zahra's skull was not found until hunters stumbled upon it in April of 2012.
IF she had acted alone, like authorities told us she did, as per the terms of the plea agreement, she would have been required to lead investigators to ALL of the body parts, or faced a first degree murder charge.
In Feb. 2011, Elisa Baker was indicted on a charge of SECOND DEGREE MURDER. She had told the truth.
While authorities did hold up their end of the bargain by allowing the second degree murder charge for her truthful statements, the did NOT allow her statements concerning Adam's participation to be admissible in court.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not standing up for this POS. I don't think that she should EVER see another day of freedom.
I think that EVERYONE involved in this crime should be rotting in a cell.
Wow KG you are very knowledgeable about this sad case! Thanks for sharing! I could not agree more, EVERYONE involved in this heart wrenching case should be rotting in a cell! Including her sperm donor (not calling this murderer a father). That is interesting they didn't allow her stmts concerning Adam's participation to be admissible in court. It just sends fire thru my veins knowing this creature killed, dismembered,(and God knows what else), his own flesh and blood and does not have to face "any" type of punishment for his involvement!!! Just deported, and free to roam in Australia! Hope he is not creating ANY more children!
Canton, OH

#96782 Oct 9, 2013
realTopaz wrote:
<quoted text>
Looks like they took a cue from the Ramseys. They never asked a single question of the cops after leaving Boulder, or before they left, come to think of it. They too hired a PR man within hours of finding their child dead in the basement. You're right, for innocent people they sure look guilty!
Agreed Topaz, this case does have a lot of similarities as the Ramsey's. I realize I could be wrong here, but not being in constant contact with LE while the search is on for your child, just makes them look suspicious imo. Not to mention, what is Deborah so afraid of, refusing to meet with LE alone? If there is nothing to hide and your only concern is finding your child, you would think she would be doing "whatever it takes". Again, jmo, but after taking the LDT, if you know you are innocent, why ask if you passed? Shouldn't that be a given? I dunno, she just does not come off as completely innocent. Even if she did not cause harm to Lisa, I just can't help but think she knows more than she is claiming.
Canton, OH

#96783 Oct 9, 2013
zazz wrote:
Steven King's trial pushed back to November
Posted: Oct 07, 2013 8:02 AM CST
Updated: Oct 07, 2013 4:10 PM CST
Steven King's attorney asked for a continuance, for further investigation. The trial is set for November 4th. The final pretrial is set for Oct. 29th.
He appeared in court Monday morning, as his trial was supposed to begin.
However, the judge pushed back the trial date. King is charged with obstruction in the case of Baby Elaina Steinfurth.
Elaina Steinfurth went missing on June 2nd. Her remains were found in a box inside a garage that belonged to the King family in September.
No one has been charged with her death. Autopsy results are pending.
http://www.13abc.com/story/23625074/steven-ki...
Thanks for the update zazz. I was wondering if there was any new information regarding Elaina. Will be interesting to hear the outcome of this case. Sad these children depend on their parents to protect them, and they are doing anything but. Hope Stephen and Angela pay in the end for what happened to this lil angel.="(

Level 8

Location hidden

#96784 Oct 9, 2013
Baby Kate murder-warrant statement: Case against Sean Phillips circumstantial

By John S. Hausman
on October 08, 2013 at 4:54 PM
updated October 08, 2013 at 5:08 PM

LUDINGTON, MI – The arrest warrant charging Sean Michael Phillips with the murder of his long-missing, 4 ½-month-old daughter, Katherine “Baby Kate” Phillips, is based on a summary of circumstantial evidence mostly made public already.

Phillips, 23, was arraigned last Friday, Oct. 4, on one count of open murder, alleging he killed his daughter June 29, 2011, in Mason County. A charge of open murder can lead to a conviction of either first- or second-degree murder.

The baby has been missing since that day, last seen with Sean Phillips, according to her mother. Katherine Phillips’ body has never been found despite extensive searches in Mason County.

Mason County’s 79th District Court on Tuesday, Oct. 8, released transcripts of last week’s six-minute probable-cause hearing that led to the arrest warrant. That hearing consisted of a sworn statement Oct. 4 by Detective Mike Kenney of the Mason County Sheriff’s Department to District Court Magistrate Patricia Baker, leading to Baker’s issuance of the warrant.

A few hours after that warrant was issued, Michigan Attorney General Bill Schuette announced the murder charge at a news conference with Mason County Prosecutor Paul Spaniola at Ludington City Hall.“New evidence has been discovered which supports a murder charge in this case,” Schuette said, without stating what the new evidence was.

The only possibly new element in the detective's statement to the magistrate was this:“Extensive analysis by scientists of the University of Michigan, Michigan State University, and the Chicago Field Museum of the biological material and soil on the shoes of Sean Phillips has narrowed the probable location of the crime to a specific wetland area in Mason County, Michigan.”

That "probable location" was not disclosed, nor was the size of the wetland area it was "narrowed to."

One June 28 and 29 of this year, scores of volunteers scoured wooded, overgrown areas of northern Mason County, collecting samples of plants and mosses in search of a combination that matched samples found on Sean Phillips’ tennis shoes after his arrest. The hope was to find the area where Phillips allegedly left Baby Kate’s body.

The results of that search have not been announced, and Schuette did not say Oct. 4 whether the “new evidence” is related to the search.
Besides the “specific wetland area” reference, this is the summary the detective outlined of what he described as circumstantial evidence, all of it previously made public:

Level 8

Location hidden

#96785 Oct 9, 2013
• Sean Phillips was the last person seen with Katherine Phillips.
• He was in possession of her diaper bag, car seat and the clothes she was last seen wearing when police apprehended him more than three hours after her disappearance.
• His whereabouts cannot be accounted for during about 2 ½ hours of that time, while the baby was in his custody.
• The baby was four months old at the time and wasn’t capable of caring for herself.
• In a prison letter last year to Baby Kate’s mother, Ariel Courtland, Phillips stated that he was with the baby when she died and that she was thrown from an infant car seat after he angrily ripped the seat out of his car, supposedly not knowing the baby was in it.
• He had motive to kill his daughter because court-ordered paternity tests, which he had resisted because he didn’t want to acknowledge paternity, were scheduled for the time he disappeared with her.

Authorities believe Sean Phillips dumped Baby Kate’s body in what Phillips himself -- in his Aug. 2012 letter from prison to Courtland -- called a “peaceful place.” In that letter, he claimed he didn’t realize the baby was in an infant car seat that he violently yanked out of the back seat of his car while he was angry at Ariel, thus throwing Katherine from the car seat.

The detective also noted that Phillips has given three conflicting stories about the baby’s whereabouts.
Besides the prison-letter version, on the day of Baby Kate’s disappearance he told police that Courtland had her; and on July 11, 2011, in a letter found by a Mason County Jail deputy in Phillips’ jail clothing, he claimed he “gave her to a guy” for adoption.

Phillips is already serving a prison term of 10 to 15 years for unlawful imprisonment of his daughter. A Mason County jury convicted him of that in April 2012. Phillips has appealed the conviction and the sentence, and that appeal is still pending before the Michigan Court of Appeals.

http://www.mlive.com/news/muskegon/index.ssf/...
Canton, OH

#96786 Oct 9, 2013
I dunno King George, you could be right, maybe Jersey is the pedophile that snatched Lisa from the home. I understand what you are saying about the only call made from that phone being to Jersey's gf, but even that is strange b/c supposedly Deborah nor Jeremy could make outbound calls b/c as they stated "the phones were turned off by their cell co. for non payment". I have read again tonight that Jersey was interviewed by LE and cleared. For w/e reason LE did not think he was the one. However, I definitely agree, a lot of the information regarding him sure makes him look guilty. I am not clear on who you are referring to when you say Deborah did it b/c she was at the store purchasing wine, paper plates and baby food but my opinion and the ones of those I have read seem to come from Deborah's own actions and statements early on in the case. As far as her drinking "some of that wine" she purchased, she claimed to have been drunk and passed out. All while she had her three children there. I personally feel she at least knows something about the disappearance of her baby she claimed at first to have seen at 6:30 when she put her to bed, then it was 10:30 she was last seen. Reminds me of Misty putting Haleigh to bed at two different times of the night.
Sami

Jacksonville, AR

#96787 Oct 10, 2013
GM ALL!

Karma, that's right, something about being able to call out, but the phones were turned off. I forgot many details of this case. I forgot there were three children in the house too. Were the other children taken away? Wasn't Jersey's GF friends with Deborah or an I mistaken? I wish LE could find out what really happened to this beautiful baby.
EyeOfTheNewt

Cape Coral, FL

#96788 Oct 10, 2013
zazz wrote:
EyeOfTheNewt I am praying for you. I see yesterday was your last treatment. This is wonderful. I hope it wasn't too hard on you. Since you haven't posted I'm surmising you aren't feeling your best.
God bless you dear lady, please feel better soon.
Zazz, I have been very very sick. It was this last treatment that threw me completely out of whack. I won't go into the gruesome details, I'll just say that it has been awful and I am very weak and nauseas. Now it feels like my throat has been burned to a crisp inside, even sipping liquids doesn't soothe it. It's just a good thing the last treatment was Tuesday as I would not be able to take any more. I was scheduled to go to the ENT today about my excruciating earache but had to cancel and reschedule for tomorrow. I'm just too weak now. I'll have no choice but to go tomorrow no matter how I feel as I will not be able to continue with this earache over the week-end.

Thank you, and Sami, and ALL for your kindness, prayers and good wishes. Maybe I'll be a little better later and can come back for a while this afternoon. Will try my best. I have read most of the posts maybe can catch up soon. PLEASE just continue to pray for me. Love to all, xx00xx.. A.
Sami

Jacksonville, AR

#96789 Oct 10, 2013
Zazz, Another case where a parent killed their own child. Sean, took that poor baby and killed her just so he wouldn't have to pay child support. IIRC he didn't claim her to his family either. Rotten POS.
Curious

Spotsylvania, VA

#96791 Oct 10, 2013
EyeOfTheNewt wrote:
<quoted text>
Zazz, I have been very very sick. It was this last treatment that threw me completely out of whack. I won't go into the gruesome details, I'll just say that it has been awful and I am very weak and nauseas. Now it feels like my throat has been burned to a crisp inside, even sipping liquids doesn't soothe it. It's just a good thing the last treatment was Tuesday as I would not be able to take any more. I was scheduled to go to the ENT today about my excruciating earache but had to cancel and reschedule for tomorrow. I'm just too weak now. I'll have no choice but to go tomorrow no matter how I feel as I will not be able to continue with this earache over the week-end.
Thank you, and Sami, and ALL for your kindness, prayers and good wishes. Maybe I'll be a little better later and can come back for a while this afternoon. Will try my best. I have read most of the posts maybe can catch up soon. PLEASE just continue to pray for me. Love to all, xx00xx.. A.
Aww Anne, I am so sorry to hear you are so sick, weak nad nauseas. Thats a shame you are still dealing with that earrache too! Maybe with Tuesday being the last appt, you can start to heal. Def keeping you in my prayers.
Curious

Spotsylvania, VA

#96792 Oct 10, 2013
Sami wrote:
GM ALL!
Karma, that's right, something about being able to call out, but the phones were turned off. I forgot many details of this case. I forgot there were three children in the house too. Were the other children taken away? Wasn't Jersey's GF friends with Deborah or an I mistaken? I wish LE could find out what really happened to this beautiful baby.
GM Sami, I did not hear the other children were taken away. I do remember DB and JI refusing to allow the other two to be interviewed. While yes, they are children, but being they were there that night, maybe they heard or seen something. I think it depends on where you read or what newschannel you watched, but from the way I understood it, Megan Wright did not know Deborah Bradley. MW also claimed it wasn't her that recv'd that call the night Lisa disappeared. She claimed there were seven others living in her home and a roommate answered that call. The roommate that was questioned however, denied that, claiming nobody in the house shared phones. So, who knows what is really true in this case.
Curious

Spotsylvania, VA

#96793 Oct 10, 2013
Sami, hope your hubby is home and feeling better!:)
Sami

Jacksonville, AR

#96794 Oct 10, 2013
Hi! Curious, tks., Ok, that's right, she did say nobody shared phones. I'm just remembering bits & pieces of that case. iirc, she didn't check on Lisa for over 12 hrs., but I think her times changed. That poor baby.

Thank you, he came home one Tues. & is doing well & on his way to a full recovery!:)
Curious

Spotsylvania, VA

#96795 Oct 10, 2013
Sami wrote:
Hi! Curious, tks., Ok, that's right, she did say nobody shared phones. I'm just remembering bits & pieces of that case. iirc, she didn't check on Lisa for over 12 hrs., but I think her times changed. That poor baby.
Thank you, he came home one Tues. & is doing well & on his way to a full recovery!:)
O thats fabulous he is doing well and recovering!! Glad to hear it!=) Yea, I had forgotten bits a pieces too. Had to read up on some things. Yep, it was many hours before she checked on her. Well, supposedly 6:30, then that changed to 10:30. You know how stories change. Kind of like Misty Croslin's. I do remember however, how bizarre DB acted in the very beginning. That is one reason why I think she knows more than she lets on. JMO.
King George

West Lafayette, IN

#96797 Oct 10, 2013
Curious wrote:
GM All,
King George, thanks for the details in this case! So, I am just wondering here your take on whom is responsible for missing baby Lisa. Are you thinking it was Jersey? By your last stmt it sounds like you are not thinking Deborah had anything to do with it b/c she was doing what normal ppl do that night.(And she very well may not have had anything to do with it) I may be confused on your take but imo, if she isn't guilty at all, of at least knowing what happened to her, then I just don't understand why she hasn't been in contact with LE since the beginning, why she, and Jeremy refuse to be interviewed separately, why she failed her LDT, there are more whys but for now, I am just confused as to why this possibly innocent mother of a missing child has not hounded LE for any information regarding any new leads.
Hey, Curious. IMO, Jersey (John Tanko) entered the Irwin home, and took Lisa.
Tanko was a career criminal. He'd been arrested numerous times, many of those were for stealing or tampering with vehicles.
Jim Spellman handled some of the reporting on this case. One night, he visited the Websleuths site, and posters there were allowed to ask him questions. One poster asked him if he was going to interview Jersey. Spellman said that police would not allow anyone to visit Jersey. He said that was very odd, usually it was no problem getting in to talk to a prisoner.
There were quite a few posts in the Kansas City Topix thread about this case. One of the posters posted paperwork concerning charges against Jersey that had been dropped because he'd supplied information to authorities. IMO, Jersey was an informant.

Sound familiar? Just like Haleigh's disappearance? LE and the media all screaming Look At Misty - she holds the key. Don't pay any attention to these other players, and what was that Geraldo said about Ron being an informant? Gee, is that why he was allowed to commit crimes regularly with no repercussions?

LE and the media said Look At Deb Bradley, and pay no attention to any evidence presented that points to anyone else.
A couple of months ago, I watched Deb and Jeremy on an online show, but, I can't find it for the life of me. Zazz posted an article in which she speaks to the media, and she led the vigil on Oct. 5. She's still searching for her little girl.
I don't think that Deb and Jeremy were uncooperative with LE. When your baby's missing, how much time can you waste on people who are clearly more concerned with implicating you than searching for your child?
I don't remember a credible source stating that she'd failed a LDT.
If I remember right, there was a little something that the media left out of that situation in which they would not allow LE to interview them separately. They wanted to interview them separately - without their attorney.
Of course, this is JMO.
King George

West Lafayette, IN

#96798 Oct 10, 2013
zazz wrote:
Steven King's trial pushed back to November
Posted: Oct 07, 2013 8:02 AM CST
Updated: Oct 07, 2013 4:10 PM CST
Steven King's attorney asked for a continuance, for further investigation. The trial is set for November 4th. The final pretrial is set for Oct. 29th.
He appeared in court Monday morning, as his trial was supposed to begin.
However, the judge pushed back the trial date. King is charged with obstruction in the case of Baby Elaina Steinfurth.
Elaina Steinfurth went missing on June 2nd. Her remains were found in a box inside a garage that belonged to the King family in September.
No one has been charged with her death. Autopsy results are pending.
http://www.13abc.com/story/23625074/steven-ki...
Thanks for the update, zazz.
King George

West Lafayette, IN

#96799 Oct 10, 2013
Karma wrote:
I dunno King George, you could be right, maybe Jersey is the pedophile that snatched Lisa from the home. I understand what you are saying about the only call made from that phone being to Jersey's gf, but even that is strange b/c supposedly Deborah nor Jeremy could make outbound calls b/c as they stated "the phones were turned off by their cell co. for non payment". I have read again tonight that Jersey was interviewed by LE and cleared. For w/e reason LE did not think he was the one. However, I definitely agree, a lot of the information regarding him sure makes him look guilty. I am not clear on who you are referring to when you say Deborah did it b/c she was at the store purchasing wine, paper plates and baby food but my opinion and the ones of those I have read seem to come from Deborah's own actions and statements early on in the case. As far as her drinking "some of that wine" she purchased, she claimed to have been drunk and passed out. All while she had her three children there. I personally feel she at least knows something about the disappearance of her baby she claimed at first to have seen at 6:30 when she put her to bed, then it was 10:30 she was last seen. Reminds me of Misty putting Haleigh to bed at two different times of the night.
IMO, Jersey wasn’t a pedophile. He was a career criminal. He took Lisa to sell.

Now, remember, neighbors said that Jersey often asked to use their phones, as he had no phone of his own.

Irwin and Bradley knew that the phones weren’t working. But, the person who took the phones along with the baby, probably wasn’t aware of that.

The ONLY call(s) made from any of those stolen phones, was a call to Jersey's girlfriend's (Megan Wright) phone.
Megan Wright said that she did not have her cell phone on the night that Lisa disappeared. She said that a man named Dane Greathouse was using it. IMO, Dane Greathouse was the guy waiting for that call from Jersey.

Megan and Dane were both staying at a house with something like 7 other people. In interviews with the media, a couple of the other roommates said that Dane was a violent man, a little scary. His MySpace page shows him bragging about being a meth cook. They said that Dane clung to Wright's cell phone that night, and refused to let anyone else use it. They said that Dane was a nervous wreck. I bet he was. I believe that Dane Greathouse was the one waiting for that call from Jersey to say – mission accomplished. I'd bet that neither he nor Jersey had anticipated that NONE of the Irwin phones were working that night.
King George

West Lafayette, IN

#96800 Oct 10, 2013
EyeOfTheNewt wrote:
<quoted text>
Praying for you, Anne. Hoping you feel so much better, soon.
Canton, OH

#96801 Oct 10, 2013
King George wrote:
<quoted text>
IMO, Jersey wasn’t a pedophile. He was a career criminal. He took Lisa to sell.
Now, remember, neighbors said that Jersey often asked to use their phones, as he had no phone of his own.
Irwin and Bradley knew that the phones weren’t working. But, the person who took the phones along with the baby, probably wasn’t aware of that.
The ONLY call(s) made from any of those stolen phones, was a call to Jersey's girlfriend's (Megan Wright) phone.
Megan Wright said that she did not have her cell phone on the night that Lisa disappeared. She said that a man named Dane Greathouse was using it. IMO, Dane Greathouse was the guy waiting for that call from Jersey.
Megan and Dane were both staying at a house with something like 7 other people. In interviews with the media, a couple of the other roommates said that Dane was a violent man, a little scary. His MySpace page shows him bragging about being a meth cook. They said that Dane clung to Wright's cell phone that night, and refused to let anyone else use it. They said that Dane was a nervous wreck. I bet he was. I believe that Dane Greathouse was the one waiting for that call from Jersey to say – mission accomplished. I'd bet that neither he nor Jersey had anticipated that NONE of the Irwin phones were working that night
GE All,

Wow KG, you really make so many good points here. I didn't know you were thinking Jersey took poor lil Lisa to sell. That's really disturbing. I had read that LE interviewed Jersey and cleared him. But the points you make, everything that night points straight to Jersey. I mean, a man was reported walking down the road at midnight carrying a baby (iirc wearing only a diaper). Of course thats very strange, but it was said on TV just a cpl nights ago that, the man seen walking down the road carrying the baby at midnight was questioned and cleared. Here is the video from fox news where Deborah herself says she was told she failed the LDT.

http://video.foxnews.com/v/1208665557001/excl...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Orlando Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min Unmeltable Snowflake 1,657,031
Basic Construction Rudy Frazier 1 hr Bill 1
CASEY: Does the State Have the Goods to Convict? (Mar '10) 8 hr fortmyersf 514,732
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 12 hr Dudley 64,306
News Palins look to land and sea to build wealth; es... (Oct '08) 15 hr Italo 6
Happy Cats Purr! 16 hr Kitty 3
News Tampa Teacher @LoraJane Hates Christians, Promo... (May '17) 16 hr Frindly 1,191

Orlando Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Orlando Mortgages