Arroyo to play in Israel?

Arroyo to play in Israel?

There are 241 comments on the Orlando Sentinel story from Aug 3, 2008, titled Arroyo to play in Israel?. In it, Orlando Sentinel reports that:

Former Orlando Magic point guard Carlos Arroyo has signed to play in Israel next season, according to a newspaper in Israel.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Orlando Sentinel.

First Prev
of 13
Next Last
hope so

United States

#1 Aug 3, 2008
bye bye
Jimmy

Orlando, FL

#2 Aug 3, 2008
thankyou Isreal
JOSE PEREZ

San Juan, Puerto Rico

#3 Aug 3, 2008
OS, Carlos is a better PG than JN and AJ. Sorry for the Magic. Check the assitance to the games before and after Carlos came to Orlando. There are more than 300,000 Boricuas in Central Florida. Carlos has a following that came to the games and bough the mechandise of the Team. As to JN and AJ only their relatives will come to the games to see them playing and with free tickets.
reaper

El Paso, TX

#4 Aug 3, 2008
now i'd be cheering if they took j nelson. but hey now ima gonna find a way to get some of those international games on my tv.
JOSE PEREZ

San Juan, Puerto Rico

#7 Aug 3, 2008




JPost.com » Sports » Article


Aug 3, 2008 23:56 | Updated Aug 4, 2008 1:18
Local Basketball: Mac TA signs guard Carlos Arroyo from Orlando
By ALLON SINAI

Maccabi Tel Aviv's search for a playmaker ended on Sunday night with the impressive signing of Puerto Rican Carlos Arroyo.

"I'm very happy we've completed this signing," Maccabi coach Effi Birenboim told the club's official Web site. "Arroyo is a player of the highest standard and has been our top priority for a while.

"Luckily for me, Maccabi's management agreed to sign him despite the huge costs. This is exactly the player we need. He's a great basketball player as well as being a great leader."

Besides being a legitimate NBA player, Arroyo is also the star of the Puerto Rican national team, which registered a stunning 92-73 victory over the US at the Athens Olympics four years ago.

Arroyo scored 25 points and passed seven assists in the biggest victory in Porto Rican basketball history and was also on top form for the side at the 2006 World Championships, averaging 21.2 points, 5.2 assists and 4.6 rebounds per game.

Arroyo played three seasons for the Jazz and was the team's starting point guard in the 2003/04 campaign, averaging 12.6 points and 5.0 assists.

Midway through the 2004/05 season, Arroyo left Utah for the Detroit Pistons, where he struggled to find his place as a back-up to All-Star Chauncey Billups.

Arroyo's career began to flourish once more after he joined the Orlando Magic in the 2005/06 season. In two-and-a-half seasons in Florida, Arroyo averaged 8.0 points and 3.1 assists and last season played 62 games for the club, averaging 6.9 points and 3.5 assists in 20.5 minutes on court."
Colombiano

United States

#8 Aug 3, 2008
JOSE PEREZ wrote:
OS, Carlos is a better PG than JN and AJ. Sorry for the Magic. Check the assitance to the games before and after Carlos came to Orlando. There are more than 300,000 Boricuas in Central Florida. Carlos has a following that came to the games and bough the mechandise of the Team. As to JN and AJ only their relatives will come to the games to see them playing and with free tickets.
I don't think it made a big impact since management let him go. I did see a lot of Hispanics there and I'm sure Arroyo sold a lot of jerseys, but again it was better for the magic to let him go. I'm sad to see him go b/c I think we could have signed him for the vets min.

What worries me is to see so many NBA player going to Europe even if they are just bench players.
hope so

United States

#9 Aug 3, 2008
Hugo Chavez Frias wrote:
Orlando, they are bunch of racist loosers, they will never get in finals, never,ever, in a lifetime, so no big deal for carlos, he still b making money in other place, the only years that satdium was full was when he was around, you see...long live the klan...:}
1. Learn to spell.
2. No other team wanted CA.
3. Magic have already been to the finals.
4. Looks like you are the racist.
Hispanic

United States

#10 Aug 3, 2008
YOu ignorant!
Bobby wrote:
I can care less where he plays, as long as its not with the Magic. He clearly didn't have the talent, but because of his race and the large number of hiSPanIC's in our area, he put butt's in the seats. I always thought it was funny because I saw these idiots wearing his jersey, but we all know in reality he really sucked. I hope he has an easy time finding taco's or beans and rice or whatever the hell hispanic's eat in Israel.
Agustin Galarza

São Paulo, Brazil

#11 Aug 3, 2008
I guess there were no other offers from other NBA teams, You have to wonder if Carlos "european" style of play is really not suited for the nba
end of the bench

United States

#12 Aug 3, 2008
Why does it have to be about race? It would be racist if the MAgic keep him on the team just to put butts in the seats. Hey would be a token Hispanic. He just wasn't working out for the Magic, Pistons and Jazz. Maybe this might be good for him ? Good luck Carlos
JOSE PEREZ

San Juan, Puerto Rico

#13 Aug 3, 2008
Suffer Bobby: Arroyo scored 25 points and passed seven assists in the biggest victory in Porto Rican basketball history and was also on top form for the side at the 2006 World Championships, averaging 21.2 points, 5.2 assists and 4.6 rebounds per game.
Bobby wrote:
I can care less where he plays, as long as its not with the Magic. He clearly didn't have the talent, but because of his race and the large number of hiSPanIC's in our area, he put butt's in the seats. I always thought it was funny because I saw these idiots wearing his jersey, but we all know in reality he really sucked. I hope he has an easy time finding taco's or beans and rice or whatever the hell hispanic's eat in Israel.
LunchBox

Kissimmee, FL

#14 Aug 3, 2008
JOSE PEREZ wrote:
OS, Carlos is a better PG than JN and AJ. Sorry for the Magic. Check the assitance to the games before and after Carlos came to Orlando. There are more than 300,000 Boricuas in Central Florida. Carlos has a following that came to the games and bough the mechandise of the Team. As to JN and AJ only their relatives will come to the games to see them playing and with free tickets.
"check the assitance"??? lol what the f___? Don't you mean attendance?

Clearly he wasn't the best PG on the magic, neither was he the best PG in Utah and Detroit either. So sorry for Arros-Con-Pojo, if he were as good as the Puerto Rican community think he is, he would of signed with another team in the league. But guess what? It didn't happen. so instead he is going to b.f.e Israel

He was cool, sorry to see him go. But if these 300,000 boricuas stop showing up beacuse he's gone then you weren't true Magic fans but just another groud of bandwagon jumpers. Besides I'm sure the magic can figure out a way to sell those $10 dollar upper deck seats you guys will leave behind
Graeme

Debary, FL

#15 Aug 3, 2008
This entire article and post can be summed up in one sentence: Arroyo wasn't good, so the Magic let him go and no other NBA team wanted him. End of story.
Eddie

Gaithersburg, MD

#16 Aug 3, 2008
Well, for all you Arroyo haters, let me put it in simple terms for you. The NBA is a great league with many great players. However, too many players are there for the endorsement dollars and do not really play the game with passion (a handful can be excluded from that statement). The sad part is that I read some of the comments here and even though we're talking sports, it never fails those who openly express their true feelings about hispanics and other minorities. I gave 23 years my life defending the freedom of many like those here who are too busy thinking only in the color of their skin. Shame on you and your ignorant one track (tunnel vision) mind!

Carlos is going to finally get his chance and for the first time he will NOT be dealing with individuals (namely coaches, staff, and ignorant fans) who are naive, self-centered, and in some cases borderline-racist. I'm happy that he's gone and does not have to deal with that kind of human garbage anymore. I'm sure that if Orlando falls short of their goals next season, they will blame everyone and their mother and I'll be glad that Carlitos will not be there for you losers to put that one on him. In closing, European league is a stronger game than in the NBA, and Carlos is a proven International who won more games for Orlando last season when Jameer got hurt. Don't take my word for it, look at the team's record. Bottom line,$5million for the first year in Israel, take your veteran exception and shove it up your stinky hole.
Baller

United States

#17 Aug 3, 2008
Woohoo Arroyo Jersey's for $10
haha
Baller

United States

#18 Aug 3, 2008
Arroyo wasn't that bad as everyone says. Oh well another player gone international.

Bye!
Eddie

Gaithersburg, MD

#19 Aug 3, 2008
Let's see...8 NBA players have decided to move to Europe since the free agency started this year. The NBA is in trouble and the European league is becoming more and more attractive to NBA players, plus they pay much better than the NBA. If the European league was not as good as many of you claim, then why is the NBA working so hard to recruit players from Europe and Asia to play in the NBA? Sounds like double standars to me, or perhaps is due to lack of talent in the NBA. The facts are out there, look at the increasing number of foreign players in the NBA. Doesn't that giving you an indication that the league is looking for help to increase $$$$ and endorsements?

Since: Jan 08

Lakeland, FL

#20 Aug 3, 2008
Arroyo was not that bad, but he was not the part to compliment what the Magic are doing. he will make much more money than he could here. It's sad that race has to be an issue.

Good luck Arroyo. Good job to Otis in not resigning him.
Eddie

Gaithersburg, MD

#21 Aug 3, 2008
Anyway, yesterday they hated Carlos, tomorrow will be Jameer, J.J., maybe Howard who knows. The good thing is that with Carlos and Dooling gone, now the turn-over prone overpaid Jameer is going to have to prove his worth. Whenever he fails to deliver, I'm going to be here waiting to read all your complaints.

Anyway, let me put this out there and I'll call it a night. Is Tracy a bad player because he's been with 3 differnte teams for the past 8 years? Absolutely not! You guys in Orlando are bitter because Tracy left and took your hard earned money, Grant Hill suck the life out of the organization and only played a handful of games in 7 years. I'm not even going to talk about Shack and Penny because that's really old news. In the end, what happened to Arroyo was the same thing that happened to Armstrong, they played hard for the team but were not appreciated by overzealous coaches and GM's. You and I know those are the facts, nothing else matters.
TruthSpeaks

Los Angeles, CA

#22 Aug 3, 2008
JOSE PEREZ wrote:
OS, Carlos is a better PG than JN and AJ. Sorry for the Magic. Check the assitance to the games before and after Carlos came to Orlando. There are more than 300,000 Boricuas in Central Florida. Carlos has a following that came to the games and bough the mechandise of the Team. As to JN and AJ only their relatives will come to the games to see them playing and with free tickets.
yeah it's a shame that attendance doesn't translate to WINNING BASKETBALL GAMES.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 13
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Orlando Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min Nostrilis Waxmoron 1,262,900
CASEY: Does the State Have the Goods to Convict? (Mar '10) 5 min dmtnt 501,429
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 8 min litesong 54,344
Inspiration Lane - Don't Quit (May '09) 48 min Marley 72,440
Let's Chat (Jan '12) 2 hr LizW 18,331
The alphabet (Jun '06) 12 hr Just Roxie 1,392
News Missing 5-year-old Florida girl likely was abdu... (Feb '09) 14 hr zazz 97,449
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Orlando Mortgages