How to make a Hess's Strawberry Pie

Sharing the tale of how I found the recipe for Hess's sky-high strawberry pie makes me feel akin to Miss Jane Marple, Agatha Christie 's highly skilled sleuth. Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Pachacutec

Fort Collins, CO

#46 Jun 4, 2009
Lenny Brisco wrote:
<quoted text>OH screw you with this country suffering from OBESITY, I suppose you have a body like a pro fullback, yea right!!! So is Russia, so is Italy, even Japan and China are getting OBESE, The whole world is. These were good times in our lives so a strawberry pie will not make a sh*T bit of difference!! Have a good day
John Steinbeck wrote about eating and drinking some things which might not have considered "safe" or healthy. He said that a sad soul will kill you quicker than a germ will. I would amend this to say that if you normally eat a balanced diet that worrying and obsessing about a once-in-a-blue-moon strawberry pie will more than likely cause more health problems than the pie itself. Geez, we're all gonna die one day anyhow, and since it's gonna happen, I'd much rather my last meal be a piece of strawberry pie than wheat germ!
Anne Coleman

Bethlehem, PA

#47 Jun 4, 2009
Diane, this is awesome. I envy your travails; seriously. I would loved to have made that many pies just to find the right one. You've done a wonderful service for those of us who remember, and miss, the Hess's strawberry pie.
Anne Coleman

Bethlehem, PA

#48 Jun 4, 2009
I bet that, at one time, the crust was made with lard as the shortening rather than vegetable shortening. It was very common at one time and there are many recipes that don't have the same taste without it. Artery clogging and bad, but that's the reson behind many variations in flavor in baked goods.
Hindsight wrote:
Thanks Diane. I'll try to find some of the ingredients and make the recipes.
The only quarrel I have with your conclusions is that a Pillsbury crust was the best match for the original crust. The Hess's crust was just different. It was stiff and held up to the Hess's pie fillings very well. I always compared the crust to my mother's who made the best pies, buttery and flaky. But I grew to like the Hess's crust because it never got soggy.
Ok girl, next quest, the Hess's crust recipe!
And fig all the naysayers. Don't read this fluff stuff if you don't like it! And you are NOT invited to share my strawberry pie.
Early Bird

Fleetwood, PA

#49 Jun 4, 2009
Glad to hear some of Steinbeck's wisdom. Centuries before him, the wise man said "All things in moderation".
Hope

Newton, NJ

#50 Jun 4, 2009
maybe wrote:
Now if someone could get the recipe for the sauce they put on their hotdogs at the snack bar. Have never found anything even close.
You mean those great hot dogs, in the back on the first floor, The Oasis?
They were the biggest and the best!
Hope

Newton, NJ

#51 Jun 4, 2009
Anne Coleman wrote:
I bet that, at one time, the crust was made with lard as the shortening rather than vegetable shortening. It was very common at one time and there are many recipes that don't have the same taste without it. Artery clogging and bad, but that's the reson behind many variations in flavor in baked goods.
<quoted text>
I think you are right about the lard. My grandmother was Pa. Dutch. Lard was used for everything. There was a huge can in the pantry. My grandmother lived 94 years. That's pretty good, considering that lard is suppose to be so bad for you.
Pachacutec

Fort Collins, CO

#52 Jun 4, 2009
Early Bird wrote:
Glad to hear some of Steinbeck's wisdom. Centuries before him, the wise man said "All things in moderation".
And how about a quote from Ecclesiastes - "A man hath no better thing under the sun than to eat, and to drink, and to be merry." Sounds good to me!(smile)
To "Hope"; I know what you mean; my Moms' people were PA Dutch, they ate lots of pies (WITH lard in the crusts), noodles, etc., etc., and most of them lived into their late 80's or 90's. I eat "smarter" than I used to but I still think that occasional piece of strawberry pie isn't going to hurt. Anyhow, we're supposed to eat 5 fruits and veggies every day, strawberries are fruit, aren't they?(hee hee)
maybe

Germansville, PA

#53 Jun 4, 2009
Hope wrote:
<quoted text>
You mean those great hot dogs, in the back on the first floor, The Oasis?
They were the biggest and the best!
Yes! For a while they were the only hot dogs I would eat. Diane needs to do a segment on that sauce.
Matt

Philadelphia, PA

#54 Jun 5, 2009
Anne Coleman wrote:
<quoted text>
More like artery clogging goodness, haha
Just me

Sparta, NJ

#55 Jun 5, 2009
The pie just won't be the same without Pat Moravec, the Hess's bathing suit model, parading around the table. Ah, memories!
Animal Lover for life

Whitehall, PA

#56 Jun 6, 2009
bonzo wrote:
I don't know which is worse, the endless stories about Hess's strawberry pie, or the deep fried pizza guy. you'd think with a smaller staff at the MCall that they'd be focusing on the important stories not all this fluff.
I agree. This is why the Lehigh Valley will never be "up and coming" Too many close minded people focusing on lame culinary items such as "Hess's Strawberry Pie". There is so many more interesting places doing great things with food such as Bolete and The Farmhouse. This Strawberry Pie and its followers belongs at the The backwoods "Great Allentown Fair" along with funnel cake and deep fried oreos. Diane Stoneback should retire as food editor for the Morning Call and stick to what she knows best....NOTHING!

“aka MOB”

Since: Mar 07

Bethlehem

#57 Jun 6, 2009
Animal Lover for life wrote:
<quoted text> I agree. This is why the Lehigh Valley will never be "up and coming" Too many close minded people focusing on lame culinary items such as "Hess's Strawberry Pie". There is so many more interesting places doing great things with food such as Bolete and The Farmhouse. This Strawberry Pie and its followers belongs at the The backwoods "Great Allentown Fair" along with funnel cake and deep fried oreos. Diane Stoneback should retire as food editor for the Morning Call and stick to what she knows best....NOTHING!
You have it all wrong. Hess's was considered a jewel not only in Allentown or the Lehigh Valley but everywhere. People would come from all over to experience Hess's. Back in the day, especially even before my time it was considered on par with department stores in New York, London and Paris-world class.

We can move forward in the Lehigh Valley without having to forget about our past.
SFGlenn

Martinez, CA

#58 Jun 6, 2009
What a bunch of twats. There's nothing wrong with remembering the past, especially when it was icreasingly better than the present. As for the Morning Call, yeah it is rag, but thank God for a few redeeming items like this that appear. Even the most highbrow of publications include some of your so-called "Fluff".
Joan

Las Vegas, NV

#59 Jun 7, 2009
Hello Diane from Las Vegas. You're a food writer, correct? So you write about food. Why are so many people so mean and so negative? Wish I had just one piece of that strawberry pie. Nostalgia is gonna kill ya? Lighten up, please. Or retreat into your unhappiness.
Pachacutec

Fort Collins, CO

#60 Jun 8, 2009
I think a big part of the Hess pies, etc., is that it represents happy memories to many of us; "back in the day," it was a big occasion to go shopping with Mom. You dressed up, the whole deal. To those are are posting "who cares" and "stop living in the past," etc.; well, you certainly have a right to post your opinion. But may I assume that many of you are fairly young? I'd like to hear you in about, say, 20-30 years, if someone mentions a particular mall, restaurant, and so forth; bet you'll be doing some serious reminiscing, yourself!
Guero

Easton, PA

#61 Jun 8, 2009
Pachacutec wrote:
I think a big part of the Hess pies, etc., is that it represents happy memories to many of us; "back in the day," it was a big occasion to go shopping with Mom. You dressed up, the whole deal. To those are are posting "who cares" and "stop living in the past," etc.; well, you certainly have a right to post your opinion. But may I assume that many of you are fairly young? I'd like to hear you in about, say, 20-30 years, if someone mentions a particular mall, restaurant, and so forth; bet you'll be doing some serious reminiscing, yourself!
It will never happen in this strip mall fast food chain franchise world. What will there be to be nestolgic about? Gap? Chili's? Applebees. yuck.
Pachacutec

Fort Collins, CO

#62 Jun 8, 2009
Guero wrote:
<quoted text>
It will never happen in this strip mall fast food chain franchise world. What will there be to be nestolgic about? Gap? Chili's? Applebees. yuck.
I know what you're talking about. But who's to say what people will think fondly about 20 years or more in the future? I'd hate to think there would be anything worse than current chain franchises, but who knows, maybe Chili's and Applebees WILL look good in the future!(God, I hope I'm wrong on that one!).
dean ritter

AOL

#63 Jun 17, 2009
as a store employee, i used the patio restaurant many times with family and friends...my pa dutch grandmother would always remark about the size and we would share. as we were eating it she would talk about her baking with a wood stove...milk pie or flappy was my favorite and her strawberry crumb pie was the best i ever ate....fond memories...the most important thing about taste was the season it was made in...big difference in strawberries (hardness, flavor, texture)...but i always enjoyed no matter what time of year....dean

Level 9

Since: Sep 11

Weeki Wachee, Florida

#66 Jun 7, 2013
Bonus thread
Psychology Today

Spring, TX

#68 Jul 2, 2013
Hess has a cafeteria for the workers and serves healthy food as much as possible. That's why workers eat elsewhere. LOL

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Orlando Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 15 min Osmius 49,349
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 17 min Grey Ghost 1,156,136
Notebooks 2 hr Tan 1
Missing 5-year-old Florida girl likely was abdu... (Feb '09) 3 hr Anne 96,717
CASEY: Does the State Have the Goods to Convict? (Mar '10) 5 hr T-REX 490,369
Get Paid to Host International Students - Extra... 23 hr orlandohomestay 1
Florida clerks won't give gays marriage licenses Thu NorCal Native 21
Orlando Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Orlando People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Orlando News, Events & Info