How to make a Hess's Strawberry Pie

Sharing the tale of how I found the recipe for Hess's sky-high strawberry pie makes me feel akin to Miss Jane Marple, Agatha Christie 's highly skilled sleuth. Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
no thank you

Zionhill, PA

#1 Jun 3, 2009
I have never had the chance to have a slice of Strawberry Pie from Hess, I'm sure it tastes great, but the picture doesn't look that good. It kind of looks like Roadkill with some Whipped Topping. No thank you, I will pass.
Matt

Philadelphia, PA

#2 Jun 3, 2009
It was quite delicious. I can still taste it as if I had it yesterday.

Since: Mar 07

Allentown

#3 Jun 3, 2009
no thank you wrote:
I have never had the chance to have a slice of Strawberry Pie from Hess, I'm sure it tastes great, but the picture doesn't look that good. It kind of looks like Roadkill with some Whipped Topping. No thank you, I will pass.
Good. More for the rest of us.

“aka MOB”

Since: Mar 07

Bethlehem

#4 Jun 3, 2009
ahh...brings back memories. I miss going to Hess's patio with my Grammy...I miss her too...
Early Bird

Fleetwood, PA

#6 Jun 3, 2009
Thanks for the recipes. I will make it for our CA Cousins who are visiting us this Sat. I appreciate all the trials Diane Stoneback went through to make her pie. I also will use the shortcut of Pillsbury pie crust that Don Maurer recommended. What stores sell Dr. Oetker Whip It whipped cream stabilizer?
CAHair

AOL

#7 Jun 3, 2009
When I was in highschool, Thursday nights my friend and I would go to Hess's Patio and we would share something to eat ( because the portions were so big ) and then each would indulge in a piece of "Strawberry Pie".....I think the price was like $3.75 a slice.... that was a long time ago. My husband used to go into A-town and get me a whole pie ( in the 70's ) instead of a cake for my birthday and we would all enjoy it. I distinctly remember the price for that was $17.50 and if you returned the pie pan they gave you a few dollars back for it......never returned the pans ( have 3 or more ) Some fond memories of Hess's :-) I would love to have that recipe !

Since: Nov 08

King Of Prussia, PA

#8 Jun 3, 2009
In 1962 whil I was working in a fast food restaurant on Union Boulevard (Buddy's Beefburgers) I read a food trade magazine that the manager had gotten and there was an article on Hess's Strawberry Pie. It stated how the strawberries were flown in each day to the ABE Airport so they were as fresh as could be etc. In that article they published the recipe. I had kept it but I have not seen it in my shoebox of recipes lately so I believe it was mistakenly discarded.
If I knew then what a treasure it would be I would have laminated it.
Andalusia

Allentown, PA

#9 Jun 3, 2009
Great! A recipe for strawberry pie.

Now can you never ever write anything about Hess's or strawberry pie ever again?

Enough catering to the nostalgia crowd.
bonzo

Bethlehem, PA

#10 Jun 3, 2009
I don't know which is worse, the endless stories about Hess's strawberry pie, or the deep fried pizza guy. you'd think with a smaller staff at the MCall that they'd be focusing on the important stories not all this fluff.
Knowledge

Baltimore, MD

#11 Jun 3, 2009
Redneck wrote:
lol guess the person who wrote this never looked on the internet for this recipe. and uhmm this is front page news? wow what a rag mcall is. i miss your grammy to..was'nt she a dancer at that club they shut down?
LOL @ the last line of your post. You were dead wrong for saying that someone's grammy was a dancer. However, it did bring me my first laugh of the day. Thanks..
Knowledge

Baltimore, MD

#12 Jun 3, 2009
bonzo wrote:
I don't know which is worse, the endless stories about Hess's strawberry pie, or the deep fried pizza guy. you'd think with a smaller staff at the MCall that they'd be focusing on the important stories not all this fluff.
----------
Exactly!

Yet, we wonder why our society is suffering with the comorbidities associated with obesity!
Lenny Brisco

Slatington, PA

#13 Jun 3, 2009
I remember those pies, the models, the food of the "Patio". I am glad my parents took me there, now I shall try to "build" me one of those pies!!
Jackie Martling

Catasauqua, PA

#14 Jun 3, 2009
This chick should get a grip.

For years, the recipe has been easy to find on the Internet (you know, that crazy thing that's aided the demise of rags like The Call).

Perhaps she should get excited about reporting actual news?
Great job Diane

Fairport, NY

#15 Jun 3, 2009
Great job, Diane!!!

You obviously cared enough about this recipe to go above and beyond.

Unfortunately, those recipes don't appear to be within the online version at the present time.

Anyone in this forum with anything negative to say, simply never had a slice. It's a shame they have to show their jealousy through such negativity.

No worries, those of us who've had that pleasure are grateful for Diane's effort.

Looking forward to trying those recipes in the future myself!
Lenny Brisco

Slatington, PA

#16 Jun 3, 2009
Knowledge wrote:
<quoted text>
----------
Exactly!
Yet, we wonder why our society is suffering with the comorbidities associated with obesity!
OH screw you with this country suffering from OBESITY, I suppose you have a body like a pro fullback, yea right!!! So is Russia, so is Italy, even Japan and China are getting OBESE, The whole world is. These were good times in our lives so a strawberry pie will not make a sh*T bit of difference!! Have a good day
whatever

Philadelphia, PA

#18 Jun 3, 2009
Redneck wrote:
lol guess the person who wrote this never looked on the internet for this recipe. and uhmm this is front page news? wow what a rag mcall is. i miss your grammy to..was'nt she a dancer at that club they shut down?
ie

believe me know one could ever duplicate the pie from Hess's and I can tell you have never had a piece of the original pie or you would not have said look on the internet because know one could come close, I know I've worked at Hess's for a very long time
whatever

Philadelphia, PA

#19 Jun 3, 2009
Mike from Pennsburg wrote:
In 1962 whil I was working in a fast food restaurant on Union Boulevard (Buddy's Beefburgers) I read a food trade magazine that the manager had gotten and there was an article on Hess's Strawberry Pie. It stated how the strawberries were flown in each day to the ABE Airport so they were as fresh as could be etc. In that article they published the recipe. I had kept it but I have not seen it in my shoebox of recipes lately so I believe it was mistakenly discarded.
If I knew then what a treasure it would be I would have laminated it.
that is true, everyday from california
Ugh

United States

#20 Jun 3, 2009
bonzo wrote:
I don't know which is worse, the endless stories about Hess's strawberry pie, or the deep fried pizza guy. you'd think with a smaller staff at the MCall that they'd be focusing on the important stories not all this fluff.
---
Yeah, two stories about this within a week, probably a total of 4 in the last few months. I know there have to be more things going on in the valley than this, but what do I know about news, i don't run a successful award winning newspaper. Here's a suggestion, I think the Morning call and it's loyal followers should lobby the Lehigh and Northampton County Council to create a Strawberry Pie recipe card and restaurant guide that features Pizza Snobz and e-mail it to all residents of the Valley, all tax payer funded of course.
MightyRFallen

United States

#21 Jun 3, 2009
bonzo wrote:
I don't know which is worse, the endless stories about Hess's strawberry pie, or the deep fried pizza guy. you'd think with a smaller staff at the MCall that they'd be focusing on the important stories not all this fluff.
Next issue:
Deep fried Hess's Strawberry Pie.
Yum.
Knowledge

Baltimore, MD

#22 Jun 3, 2009
Lenny Brisco wrote:
<quoted text>OH screw you with this country suffering from OBESITY, I suppose you have a body like a pro fullback, yea right!!! So is Russia, so is Italy, even Japan and China are getting OBESE, The whole world is. These were good times in our lives so a strawberry pie will not make a sh*T bit of difference!! Have a good day
Spoken by a person who probably can't see his d*$k when he looks downward. Fat AAAAZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Orlando Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min Yeah 1,152,955
CASEY: Does the State Have the Goods to Convict? (Mar '10) 27 min Murphey_Law 490,092
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 2 hr kal 49,174
Inspiration Lane - Don't Quit (May '09) 3 hr Miles 70,587
Let's Chat (Jan '12) 6 hr Miles 17,702
Scott Mansfield granted new trial (Feb '09) 9 hr Whoah 32
Jodi Arias: Does the state have the goods to co... (Mar '13) 10 hr Mary NY 26,138
Orlando Dating
Find my Match

Orlando People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Orlando News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Orlando

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 7:18 am PST

Bleacher Report 7:18AM
Tennessee Titans vs. Jacksonville Jaguars: Complete Week 16 Preview for Tennesse
CBS Sports 7:18 AM
Race to the bottom: Buccaneers have leg up in quest for No. 1 pick
NBC Sports 9:57 AM
Jaguars leaning toward starting Blake Bortles
NBC Sports10:07 AM
Jaguars 'leaning more toward playing' Bortles vs Titans - NBC Sports
Bleacher Report 1:16 PM
Martin's Revival Crucial to the Bucs' Future