Judge's brother, a convicted murderer...

Judge's brother, a convicted murderer, is back in jail -- Theft...

There are 83 comments on the Orlando Sentinel story from Mar 25, 2008, titled Judge's brother, a convicted murderer, is back in jail -- Theft.... In it, Orlando Sentinel reports that:

The brothers sat across from each other in the jail's visitation room, a judge and a convicted killer separated by a glass partition and the law.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Orlando Sentinel.

Family Supporter

Orlando, FL

#28 Mar 25, 2008
I don't know how or why this guy got out - I think 1st degree murder should be life w/out parole no other options.
But he did and his family did the right thing by trying to help him out. You should not turn your back on your family - although each person must decide on their own how much they can take.
My ex-husband was a crack addict and he was in rehab 3 times before I finally said enough and took our daughters and left - they were better off w/ one sane parent.
He has now been sober for 9 years but I would never let him back into my life in any way - too stressfull wondering when he would fall off the wagon and start the cycle all over again.
But if he was in jail I would still take my daughters to see him - that's their dad and it would be a good lesson as well.
Let's not judge the judge and his brothers too harshly - it is not their fault their brother is a drug addict and cannot funtion in society. This time hopefully they will lock him up and throw away the key.
jsj

Orlando, FL

#29 Mar 25, 2008
Orlando Homegrown wrote:
<quoted text>Personally, I dno't call it "banter" I call it "Calling a spade a spade!" Just because we tell it like it is, I can't help it that the truth gets under your skin. If you had any kind of insight at all you would understand that our judicial system is permeated with judges that keep turning hardened criminals back out on our streets to rape, pillage, steal, and murder over and over again.Only one that is blind,deaf, and dumber than a bucket full of rocks can not see that! the cops are doing their jobs most of the time yet the crime epidemic continues to increase and when you check out who is perpetrating these crimes it is repeat offenders that have been arrested and put away multiple times. As for the Word of God being quoted, you betcha. God Almighty is the one that instituted the principles of government and moral standards and it's only when we abandon His guidelines that the anarchy we are experiencing takes control!
If you had any insight into our laws, you would know that our judges do not have unbridled discretion in sentencing. We have mandatory sentencing laws which are among the harshest in the country. So why then is our crime rate so high?
UF ALUM

Apopka, FL

#31 Mar 25, 2008
I have a sibling like this, too. He is a drug addict who is allegedly recovering, but I know he is not. The rest of my family is still in denial about his present drug use and they support his habits by giving him a place to live, money, transportation, etc... so the cycle continues... They meet him at gas stations in various ghetoos to give him money and he swears everytime, that he is on his way to a job interview... hasn't held a job in almost ten years...
Law Abiding

Oviedo, FL

#32 Mar 25, 2008
My sympathy goes ut to the judge.
guy from sanford

United States

#33 Mar 25, 2008
ROCKWELL wrote:
if he's a convicted murderer, what the hell is he doing out on the streets again??????????
I guess the judges all stick together, no matter what state's involved.
My thoughts exactly! No matter what he says, judge bro had something to do with getting killer bro out of jail and shipped to Florida. As a convicted murderer, killer bro should never have seen the light of day. Something definitely stinks!
-Sick of it All-

Cary, NC

#34 Mar 25, 2008
This is so tragic. I know how badly drugs can twist someone, my own brother is an addict. He is back in jail now, I just hope he will never get to the point where he ends up hurting someone.
Mike

Fairport, NY

#35 Mar 25, 2008
Sad
proof reader

Lakeland, FL

#36 Mar 25, 2008
Ted
Wichita, KS Reply
|Report Abuse |#15 2 hrs ago
"The brothers almost met every Friday for breakfast".....they either met almost every Friday or they didn't. Spell check is not a proof reader.

Open your eyes, Wichita....it stated that the brothers "ALSO" met every friday.....have another cup of joe before you slam the writing expertise of the Orlando Sentinel!
eeyore2003

Washington, DC

#37 Mar 25, 2008
YOU CAN FOOL THE PEOPLE wrote:
The real question here is can he continue to be a judge, This episode has affected him in some way. He may not admit it but deep in his soul he has a predilection to rule one way or the other based on his experience. Nothing against him personally but he should resign.
He's a civil matters judge, according to the article, so I don't see what difference it makes. Besides, judges always bring something from their personal backgrounds. There's no such thing as a completely blank-slate judge/juror/etc. I wouldn't tell a judge who happened to know a murder victim that he had to resign. He might have to avoid certain cases, but there's no reason his brother's actions should ruin his career.
YOU CAN FOOL THE PEOPLE

Clermont, FL

#39 Mar 25, 2008
WHY? Was the bro not responsible for getting him out?
Did he put a razor to someone's neck? has he killed before? could he kill again? did the bro know that something was not going right? He put his reputation on the line and that was an honorable thing to do. Now he needs to resign.

i
eeyore2003 wrote:
<quoted text>
He's a civil matters judge, according to the article, so I don't see what difference it makes. Besides, judges always bring something from their personal backgrounds. There's no such thing as a completely blank-slate judge/juror/etc. I wouldn't tell a judge who happened to know a murder victim that he had to resign. He might have to avoid certain cases, but there's no reason his brother's actions should ruin his career.
YOU CAN FOOL THE PEOPLE

Clermont, FL

#41 Mar 25, 2008
DO THE RIGHT THING..RESIGN
I am SO Shocked

Ocala, FL

#42 Mar 25, 2008
Yes, Drugs are BAD, and all drug dealers should be executed without wasting tax money on a hearing!! All Drug BUYERS should be sent to work camps for 6 months to clean the side of my streets and all gator infested ponds; all while wearing a Pink and Green stripped uniform that says DOPPER on the back.

This guy is not much different than one of my own relatives, but unlike the "Judge" (who has POOR judgment!), I would NEVER help or associate with those pukes.

You cannot soar like an Eagle if you hang out with Vultures!
MAGIC FAN

United States

#43 Mar 25, 2008
I am SO Shocked wrote:
This guy is not much different than one of my own relatives, but unlike the "Judge" (who has POOR judgment!), I would NEVER help or associate with those pukes.
You cannot soar like an Eagle if you hang out with Vultures!
It is so easy to be high and mighty when you have niether been addicted or known someone (which is worse) who has been addicted to drugs/alcohol. It is a lifelong disease with no cure. You have to fight it everyday.

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#46 Mar 25, 2008
Glen Semento, 47, a paroled murderer now also accused of attacking and robbing two older men in Eustis......

""WHAT I WANT TO KNOW IS WHY A CONVICTED MURDERER IS DOING OUT OF PRISON IN THE FIRST PLACE.""
Any time drugs are the cause of a crime,the person that commits said crime should spend the rest of his natural life either in prison or waiting for the lethal injection...
This moron's brother is a Judge,and he probably helped his brother get out of jail...he should have left his brother in jail...I,personally,have NEVER heard of a convicted murderer being released to do this crime or any other crime again...IMHO,this useless excuse for a human being,needs to fry this time...he had his chance,he blew it,now it's time to die...
flcookie

Ocala, FL

#47 Mar 25, 2008
YOU CAN FOOL THE PEOPLE wrote:
The real question here is can he continue to be a judge, This episode has affected him in some way. He may not admit it but deep in his soul he has a predilection to rule one way or the other based on his experience. Nothing against him personally but he should resign.
I take it you are a trained psychologist? Maybe the judge will engage you to look into his head and fix him. Some people can function under any and all circumstances without someone with your outlook on life judging them. You're really something.....
flcookie

Ocala, FL

#48 Mar 25, 2008
proof reader wrote:
Ted
Wichita, KS Reply
|Report Abuse |#15 2 hrs ago
"The brothers almost met every Friday for breakfast".....they either met almost every Friday or they didn't. Spell check is not a proof reader.
Open your eyes, Wichita....it stated that the brothers "ALSO" met every friday.....have another cup of joe before you slam the writing expertise of the Orlando Sentinel!
Isn't it amazing? How all these intellegent people can form their opinions, are experts on everything, and can't comprehend what they read?
In addition, after a story like this, the bleeding heart liberals and druggies still want to legalize "pot". Example, the person who said it's just a "plant, etc, etc.
flcookie

Ocala, FL

#49 Mar 25, 2008
sandegold wrote:
Glen Semento, 47, a paroled murderer now also accused of attacking and robbing two older men in Eustis......
""WHAT I WANT TO KNOW IS WHY A CONVICTED MURDERER IS DOING OUT OF PRISON IN THE FIRST PLACE.""
Any time drugs are the cause of a crime,the person that commits said crime should spend the rest of his natural life either in prison or waiting for the lethal injection...
This moron's brother is a Judge,and he probably helped his brother get out of jail...he should have left his brother in jail...I,personally,have NEVER heard of a convicted murderer being released to do this crime or any other crime again...IMHO,this useless excuse for a human being,needs to fry this time...he had his chance,he blew it,now it's time to die...
Speaking of Moron's, you need to look in the mirror. Rest my case..
eeyore2003

Washington, DC

#51 Mar 25, 2008
sandegold wrote:
You can argue whether murderers should never be released or not, but from a pure statistical point, for 2nd degree murder (I'm assuming that's what he was convicted of), serving a 20 year sentence and then being released is not that uncommon, and his release did not necessarily involve the actions of the judge given that the sentence isn't unusually short. It does appear that someone, not necessarily the judge, was involved in his parole transfer, which is slightly more unusual but certainly not unheard of. Parole transfers happen all over the country, with the exception of a few states that will not take parole transfers. I just don't see anything in this article that demonstrates misconduct on the part of the judge or special favors for this guy based on who his brother is.
Agnes

Mount Dora, FL

#53 Mar 25, 2008
Thanks for the thought-provoking article, and thanks to the Semento family for sharing.
politians OUr heros

Daytona Beach, FL

#54 Mar 25, 2008
Orlando Homegrown wrote:
<quoted text>Just going on the comments on your response, there is no doubt that you have been smoking that "Hemp rope" for way too long! To state that marijuana, maryjane,grass,or Cannabis Sativa as you want to call it, because it makes it sound more sophisticated, is not a drug makes you about the dumbest "intellectual" we have heard from in a long time! You have to be dumber than dirt to not acknowledge that cannabis sativa is a mind altering substance which classifies it as a drug. There have been many studies on the adverse effects of marijuana on the brain yet simpletons still maintain that its totally harmless! Check out any hardcore drug addict and ask him what started them on the downward slide into their addiction. It always started with "smoking grass dude"so don't come spoutin' your claptrap around here and expect many of us to go along with you!
if ignorance is bliss you must be in heaven!!!!!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Orlando Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min RoxLo 1,236,484
CASEY: Does the State Have the Goods to Convict? (Mar '10) 11 min Mary NY 498,906
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 58 min Agents of Corruption 53,599
Inspiration Lane - Don't Quit (May '09) 1 hr Milee 71,932
5000 post wins (Feb '13) 1 hr Milee 4,558
Let's Chat (Jan '12) 1 hr Milee 18,165
Has anyone ever had a new appliance fail multip... (Mar '12) 2 hr Sherrie 12
More from around the web

Orlando People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]