Judge's brother, a convicted murderer, is back in jail -- Theft...

The brothers sat across from each other in the jail's visitation room, a judge and a convicted killer separated by a glass partition and the law. Full Story
First Prev
of 5
Next Last
are you kidding me

AOL

#1 Mar 25, 2008
It never ceases to amaze me how drugs can own someone body and soul.
Volusia County resident

Durham, NC

#2 Mar 25, 2008
Drugs are one of the worst addictions we face in our communities across the country and has been a problem not only through out the years but through decades and more. Having spent approximately 15 years working in law enforcement and in the court system I have seen one person after another come through the system due to their own weakness and addictions. The things that they have done to themselves, their family and friends is absolutely amazing. They forsake anything and everything, often do unspeakable acts just to get a fix and are so focused on that many times they do not see or care who they hurt to get it. There are those that want to legalize pot, which in itself is a huge mistake. When those individuals, who chose to use drugs, can no longer get their high off of pot then it often leads to experimenting with different and much more addicting and dangerous drugs. Because of this addiction to various drugs this country is in sad shape. The laws need to be changed to make the penalties a real deterrent to users but more so to those low lifes who would sell and are too lazy to go out and get a real job. I know, there are those that would say we need better treatment facilities to help those who are addicted.
Don

Mcallen, TX

#3 Mar 25, 2008
A very sad story.My hats off to the Judge for his efforts.
Orlando Homegrown

Orlando, FL

#5 Mar 25, 2008
My first question is why this man was paroled in the first place! A convicted murderer yet gets to come out and have another shot at taking another life! Between our limp-wristed bleedin' heart judges and the lawyers that make their livelihood on perpetuating these legal turnstyles on our prison doors,is it any wonder that we keep having this same scenario played out over and over again!Sorry to say, that is why many of us cheer when one of the dirt-bags gets fatally wounded by the police while engaged in an illegal activity. Otherwise this is usually the end result, only this time the perp at least only threatened the life of his victim but would have eventually killed another person had he not been caught.
BLANTONA1

Winter Garden, FL

#6 Mar 25, 2008
Orlando Homegrown wrote:
My first question is why this man was paroled in the first place! A convicted murderer yet gets to come out and have another shot at taking another life! Between our limp-wristed bleedin' heart judges and the lawyers that make their livelihood on perpetuating these legal turnstyles on our prison doors,is it any wonder that we keep having this same scenario played out over and over again!Sorry to say, that is why many of us cheer when one of the dirt-bags gets fatally wounded by the police while engaged in an illegal activity. Otherwise this is usually the end result, only this time the perp at least only threatened the life of his victim but would have eventually killed another person had he not been caught.
Agreed! Addicted or not, this man took someone else's life. The punishment should likewise. A life for a life. This wasn't an accident, he purposely took the life of someone for money. Why on earth was he allowed to "try" again?

I feel bad for the judge and his family as I know what it is like to see someone you care about self destruct. However, at some point you have to realize you can't love them out of it and you can't force them out of it, all you can do is be there should they decide to step off the ride.
politians OUr heros

Daytona Beach, FL

#7 Mar 25, 2008
Volusia County resident wrote:
Drugs are one of the worst addictions we face in our communities across the country and has been a problem not only through out the years but through decades and more. Having spent approximately 15 years working in law enforcement and in the court system I have seen one person after another come through the system due to their own weakness and addictions. The things that they have done to themselves, their family and friends is absolutely amazing. They forsake anything and everything, often do unspeakable acts just to get a fix and are so focused on that many times they do not see or care who they hurt to get it. There are those that want to legalize pot, which in itself is a huge mistake. When those individuals, who chose to use drugs, can no longer get their high off of pot then it often leads to experimenting with different and much more addicting and dangerous drugs. Because of this addiction to various drugs this country is in sad shape. The laws need to be changed to make the penalties a real deterrent to users but more so to those low lifes who would sell and are too lazy to go out and get a real job. I know, there are those that would say we need better treatment facilities to help those who are addicted.
Do you know the number of people who use drugs? i would dare to say quite high. do you know how many of that fraction actually go out there killing and robbing? very few.
do you know that "pot" is not a drug, but a plant called Cannabis that throughout history was used to make clothes, rope, shoes, boats, fuel, food, medicine...being Number 1 crop in the world for centuries. Actually until Americans came along with their refeer madness and spread a bunch of lies and propaganda on Cannabis, naming it a narcotic, which happens to be one of the biggest lies ever told to humnanity.
So dear, before you go running your mouth about how bad drugs are and how they push people to do things that they would not otherwise do, inform yourself.
Sure drugs mess people up, but so do all the psychotropic drugs are our children and youth are ingesting from the hands of a doctor, and no one is complining about that. Don't you know that all the drugs on the legal market come from either cocaine or opium?
those who go around attacking the weak are simply sick human beings,with or without drugs, the drugs just seems to be the justification.
the devil made me do it!!!!
JGJ

Melbourne, FL

#8 Mar 25, 2008
I hope this man finds God and is able to rid himself of the devil's grip on his life. He has/had a second chance at life, and if he is able to "beat" this new charge, then he really should know that there is a plan for his life, something greater then the call of drugs and the lure of the streets.
Also, some of the individuals on here judging this man, aren't you the same people who quote Bible verses when it is convienent to prove your point? Now you are speaking/typing reckless banter about what is and is not fair, and giving your opinions about "liberal" judges, etc; please, just leave the situation alone.
You people really have nothing better to do then to attempt to shower us with your high and mighty attitudes/morals, do you?
It is a sad group here on this site. I wish you all are able to find happiness in your own lives; God does love you!
Orlando Homegrown

Orlando, FL

#10 Mar 25, 2008
politians OUr heros wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you know the number of people who use drugs? i would dare to say quite high. do you know how many of that fraction actually go out there killing and robbing? very few.
do you know that "pot" is not a drug, but a plant called Cannabis that throughout history was used to make clothes, rope, shoes, boats, fuel, food, medicine...being Number 1 crop in the world for centuries. Actually until Americans came along with their refeer madness and spread a bunch of lies and propaganda on Cannabis, naming it a narcotic, which happens to be one of the biggest lies ever told to humnanity.
So dear, before you go running your mouth about how bad drugs are and how they push people to do things that they would not otherwise do, inform yourself.
Sure drugs mess people up, but so do all the psychotropic drugs are our children and youth are ingesting from the hands of a doctor, and no one is complining about that. Don't you know that all the drugs on the legal market come from either cocaine or opium?
those who go around attacking the weak are simply sick human beings,with or without drugs, the drugs just seems to be the justification.
Just going on the comments on your response, there is no doubt that you have been smoking that "Hemp rope" for way too long! To state that marijuana, maryjane,grass,or Cannabis Sativa as you want to call it, because it makes it sound more sophisticated, is not a drug makes you about the dumbest "intellectual" we have heard from in a long time! You have to be dumber than dirt to not acknowledge that cannabis sativa is a mind altering substance which classifies it as a drug. There have been many studies on the adverse effects of marijuana on the brain yet simpletons still maintain that its totally harmless! Check out any hardcore drug addict and ask him what started them on the downward slide into their addiction. It always started with "smoking grass dude"so don't come spoutin' your claptrap around here and expect many of us to go along with you!
Actuality

Winter Springs, FL

#11 Mar 25, 2008
I'm very sorry, but people like this "brother" cannot be rehabilitated and to keep them incarcerated at taxpayers' expense perpetually is a lost cause. These people need to be taken out and made to dig a grave and then shot and dropped into it. Send the bill for the bullet to the family. You don't rehabilitiate a poisonous snake, a man killing salt water crocodile, or a man killing tiger. Making them fatter, stronger, and healthier at governmente expense is ludicrous.
Ted

Wichita, KS

#13 Mar 25, 2008
ROCKWELL wrote:
if he's a convicted murderer, what the hell is he doing out on the streets again??????????
I guess the judges all stick together, no matter what state's involved.
What stupidity is this? The judge is being a brother, nothing more here.
Orlando Homegrown

Orlando, FL

#14 Mar 25, 2008
JGJ wrote:
I hope this man finds God and is able to rid himself of the devil's grip on his life. He has/had a second chance at life, and if he is able to "beat" this new charge, then he really should know that there is a plan for his life, something greater then the call of drugs and the lure of the streets.
Also, some of the individuals on here judging this man, aren't you the same people who quote Bible verses when it is convienent to prove your point? Now you are speaking/typing reckless banter about what is and is not fair, and giving your opinions about "liberal" judges, etc; please, just leave the situation alone.
You people really have nothing better to do then to attempt to shower us with your high and mighty attitudes/morals, do you?
It is a sad group here on this site. I wish you all are able to find happiness in your own lives; God does love you!
Personally, I dno't call it "banter" I call it "Calling a spade a spade!" Just because we tell it like it is, I can't help it that the truth gets under your skin. If you had any kind of insight at all you would understand that our judicial system is permeated with judges that keep turning hardened criminals back out on our streets to rape, pillage, steal, and murder over and over again.Only one that is blind,deaf, and dumber than a bucket full of rocks can not see that! the cops are doing their jobs most of the time yet the crime epidemic continues to increase and when you check out who is perpetrating these crimes it is repeat offenders that have been arrested and put away multiple times. As for the Word of God being quoted, you betcha. God Almighty is the one that instituted the principles of government and moral standards and it's only when we abandon His guidelines that the anarchy we are experiencing takes control!
Ted

Wichita, KS

#15 Mar 25, 2008
"The brothers almost met every Friday for breakfast".....they either met almost every Friday or they didn't. Spell check is not a proof reader.
Ted

Wichita, KS

#19 Mar 25, 2008
JGJ wrote:
If you are so close with God, you wouldn't be talking about his 'beating' this charge. Guilty or not guilty is the issue, not whether he can 'beat' the charge. If he is guilty he should pay the consequences for not taking advantage of his second chance. These addicts should have mandatory treatment on release, so that they chose new people, places and things. Sound like his support system should have talked some serious rehab with him. The end.
Ridiculous

Ocklawaha, FL

#20 Mar 25, 2008
You are actually right about one thing -- all those ADD drugs and anti-depressants are just as bad. I didn't believe someone else who said they come from cocaine, but if you look it up on Wikipedia and stuff, they really do come from illegal substances. How is it that we allow our kids to take that stuff?
<quoted text>
UNbelievable

Kissimmee, FL

#21 Mar 25, 2008
Nice to see family sticking together, even when the going gets tough. It's difficult dealing with a family member who is self-destructive, but even worse when their actions hurt others.
UNbelievable

Kissimmee, FL

#22 Mar 25, 2008
Ridiculous wrote:
You are actually right about one thing -- all those ADD drugs and anti-depressants are just as bad. I didn't believe someone else who said they come from cocaine, but if you look it up on Wikipedia and stuff, they really do come from illegal substances. How is it that we allow our kids to take that stuff?
<quoted text>
Because it's easier to drug a kid to make him submissive rather than taking the time to train him correctly.

Then we get pissed when, 20 years later, he needs drugs to cope with life.
Volusia County resident

Durham, NC

#23 Mar 25, 2008
<quoted text>
I am quite well informed, "dearie". Where do you get your "very high" and "very few" statistics from? I am also quite aware of some of the history behind the various narcotics and that there are a large number of people from all walks of life who use them some of whom can afford them much more so than others. The ones that cannot afford them many times resort to various types of theft to support their habit.

I have already stated my background as to some of the things that I have experienced, seen and dealt with. What is yours? You wouldn't happen to be one of those that I had to haul back and forth to court from jail would you? Unless you have better information to pass along, please keep your rude opinion to yourself, "dearie".
Volusia County resident

Durham, NC

#24 Mar 25, 2008
Orlando Homegrown wrote:
<quoted text>Just going on the comments on your response, there is no doubt that you have been smoking that "Hemp rope" for way too long! To state that marijuana, maryjane,grass,or Cannabis Sativa as you want to call it, because it makes it sound more sophisticated, is not a drug makes you about the dumbest "intellectual" we have heard from in a long time! You have to be dumber than dirt to not acknowledge that cannabis sativa is a mind altering substance which classifies it as a drug. There have been many studies on the adverse effects of marijuana on the brain yet simpletons still maintain that its totally harmless! Check out any hardcore drug addict and ask him what started them on the downward slide into their addiction. It always started with "smoking grass dude"so don't come spoutin' your claptrap around here and expect many of us to go along with you!
Thank you for your post!
onepopo

Palm Bay, FL

#26 Mar 25, 2008
Volusia County resident wrote:
<quoted text>
I am quite well informed, "dearie". Where do you get your "very high" and "very few" statistics from? I am also quite aware of some of the history behind the various narcotics and that there are a large number of people from all walks of life who use them some of whom can afford them much more so than others. The ones that cannot afford them many times resort to various types of theft to support their habit.
I have already stated my background as to some of the things that I have experienced, seen and dealt with. What is yours? You wouldn't happen to be one of those that I had to haul back and forth to court from jail would you? Unless you have better information to pass along, please keep your rude opinion to yourself, "dearie".
You are dead on about drugs. Every single prostitute (male or female) I have ever come across (i"m a cop) on the streets is addicted to either crack or heroin. Some of the male prostitutes swear they are not gay but yet they are out servicing men because it's the fastest way for them to earn 20$ to go buy the next rock.

I talk to a many of them and ask how they started using; a lot say they were drunk and/or high at a party where they were introduced to it and become addicted almost instantly. A lot of the women tell me they were sexually abused as kids which sent them on the road to substance abuse then addiction. Some are mentally ill and started abusing drugs in a sad attempt to combat their mental illness. Now they are mentally ill AND addicted to crack. Nice.

I met one lady a few years back who had an obvious air of sophistication about her. She told me she used to live Miami and was married. She had three kids and was quite wealthy. I don't know how she ended up addicted to crack but here she was on the streets in Orlando a total "crackhead" and homeless. She had also managed to contract HIV because when they are high or need to get high they don't focus much on safe sex. She has since died.

I understand people make choices and I wish people had the strength to not abuse drugs (illegal, prescription, or otherwise) because I've met thousands of folks that have been destroyed by their addictions.

These are just my personal experiences at work but I can tell you that once the addiction of whatever the poison is takes hold a person, it's over. And nothing can save that person until THEY make the decision to seek help and get sober. This judge's brother is the perfect example, he had a wonderful second chance to try again but obviously he wasn't ready to stop using cocaine. Thankfully, he didn't kill the two people he robbed while out of prison.
YOU CAN FOOL THE PEOPLE

Clermont, FL

#27 Mar 25, 2008
The real question here is can he continue to be a judge, This episode has affected him in some way. He may not admit it but deep in his soul he has a predilection to rule one way or the other based on his experience. Nothing against him personally but he should resign.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Orlando Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min ObamaLogic 1,154,088
Missing 5-year-old Florida girl likely was abdu... (Feb '09) 11 min King George 96,655
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 3 hr Brian_G 49,220
CASEY: Does the State Have the Goods to Convict? (Mar '10) 6 hr Ellen 490,196
Jodi Arias: Does the state have the goods to co... (Mar '13) 10 hr AN is me 26,190
Has anyone ever had a new appliance fail multip... (Mar '12) 14 hr Cheyenne Autumn 9
Inspiration Lane - Don't Quit (May '09) 16 hr Murph 70,608
Orlando Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Orlando People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Orlando News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Orlando

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 6:40 am PST

NBC Sports 6:40AM
Bortles: We showed the country who we are
NBC Sports11:45 AM
Just like old (sad) times: Buccaneers double-digit home underdogs vs. Packers
NBC Sports 1:39 PM
Young Jaguars piecing together key building blocks - NBC Sports
Bleacher Report 8:19 PM
Ranking Packers' Best Wins over Buccaneers
Bleacher Report 9:00 AM
Start 'Em, Sit 'Em Week 16: Debating Difficult Fantasy Football Lineup Decisions