Innocent gestures can translate poorly, traveler warns

Full story: Orlando Sentinel

In Sydney, Australia, I simply hailed a taxi, opened the door and jumped in the back seat.
Comments
1 - 20 of 247 Comments Last updated Aug 14, 2013
First Prev
of 13
Next Last
MVs

Gzira, Malta

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2008

Judged:

I'm from Malta and the OK sign is certainly not considered to be rude.
What the writer is probably alluding to is those countries which interpret the OK sign to imply that the receiver (male) engages in homosexual sex.
In Malta, that sign is actually an INVERTED OK sign, usually done with a slight jerking of the hand.

Since: Mar 08

Teignmouth, Devon,

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2008

Judged:

You are a Jerk!!
Kathy-Arizona

Seattle, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2008

LOL!
Chicago

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 10, 2008

From a classic edition of Straight Dope:

{In] Bulgaria... a nod [of ones head]means no and a shake means yes. One shudders to think of the implications this has for cross-cultural dating in that country.

The Turks are almost as confusing--they say "yes" by shaking their heads from side to side, and "no" by tossing their heads back and clucking. Head-tossing for "no" is also common in Greece and parts of Italy, such as Naples, that were colonized or heavily influenced by Greeks in ancient times.

http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a2_450b....
chee chee baiter

Santa Clara, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 10, 2008

Judged:

Farting (silently) is considered rude & underhanded in Puerto Rico while a loud fart is greeted by shouts of "bravo, bravo" !
pakistani

Santa Clara, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 10, 2008

Judged:

In Pakistan, shitting on the sidewalk gets you a place in paradise with 72 virgins. Taking a leak on the sidewalk gets you a place in paradise & 40 virgins. Vomiting on the sidewalk gets you a place in paradise with no virgins, but a date with a Taliban leaders 3rd wife.

Carrying a sign on the sidewalk that says "PEACE" gets you planted in the ground, shat, pissed & vomited upon & then stoned to death.
Kathy-Seattle

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 10, 2008

HA,HA,HA,HA,HA,HA, thats pretty wild!LOL!LOL!LOL!
Michael Anderson

Brisbane, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 10, 2008

I'm sorry but I had to tell you that you are wrong - Australia was BUILT on class distinction. It was part of our ancestors upbringing - some convicts even looked down on other convicts! That's how bad it was. And I think you probably just found a grumpy taxi driver - I always sit in the back and have never been looked at in a threatening way by the cabbie. Next time you travel to a country like Morocco to interview a bureaucrat, you might study their nuisances before you leave. Cheers.

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 11, 2008

pakistani,
Is that really true lol
dee

Sydney, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 11, 2008

ngali wrote:
In Australia, clenching your fist and showing the back of your extended middle finger, while loudly shouting, "F*ck Off C*ntface" is generally a no-no.
Not if you shout it in a genteel manner - LOL.
Kathy-Seattle

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 11, 2008

Nial
I have a flash back of an incident while sitting at the cafe in Casa VIA-pakistani.We we're just sitting there talking and watching people go by and all of a sudden, this really old man dropped his pants and took aa crap right there on the sidewak, pulled up his pants and walked away!We we're so grossed out that we got up and left to another cafe a few blocks down.It was quit a shock!

Since: Jun 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 11, 2008

Kathy-Seattle wrote:
Nial
I have a flash back of an incident while sitting at the cafe in Casa VIA-pakistani.We we're just sitting there talking and watching people go by and all of a sudden, this really old man dropped his pants and took aa crap right there on the sidewak, pulled up his pants and walked away!We we're so grossed out that we got up and left to another cafe a few blocks down.It was quit a shock!
Did he wipe his arse as well?
Kathy-Seattle

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 11, 2008

neville

No, he pulled up his pants and walked away!Gross!Extra points for that one.lol!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 12, 2008

Kathy-Seattle wrote:
Nial
OMG is that really true then, wonder how their houses would look like..lol

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 12, 2008

Did you know in Morocco we show fingers in different way we keep our palm and fingers flat and turn only the middle finger!

And if the meal you are offering to your guest doesn't contain meat they may be offended because itís a sign that either the host is mean or he doesn't give a damn about his guest!
Kathy-Seattle

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 12, 2008

Nial
I would think it's because they don't have enough money to buy the meat for the meal!
Mr Perfect

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 12, 2008

OMG I would be a wreck anywhere but home. The oposite foe yes and no, The F-off C-Face, And the piesta resistaunce. Making pudding right there on the sidewalk!? I would loose my mind. I would laugh until I passed out and died right there on the spot! Then again,,, Where do I pick up these 70 virgins?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2008

For 70 virgin I will shit me Intestine out lol

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2008

Kathy,
That's the straight forward feedback you would expect from any sane person.. However, lol Mroccan got used to the idea of the hosts have to offer the best they can. I know some people took a small loan just to feed their guests
slow

Kapellen, Belgium

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2008

i'am from marrakech and i can say you that you don't know morocco yet

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 13
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

15 Users are viewing the Orlando Forum right now

Search the Orlando Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min Grey Ghost 1,083,053
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 31 min Jeez 45,867
CASEY: Does the State Have the Goods to Convict? (Mar '10) 5 hr EXECUTE KID KILLERS 484,329
Does Mickey Perform Oral On Goofy Or Donald At... 6 hr TheHeadMouse 2
What life is like for Casey Anthony 11 hr EXECUTE KID KILLERS 54
Casey Anthony maintains baby sitter was not fab... 12 hr EXECUTE KID KILLERS 164
Low pay drives Florida Highway Patrol troopers ... (Aug '07) 13 hr not so 231
•••
•••
•••
•••

Orlando Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Orlando People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE