Clear Channel eliminates Orlando-area traffic reporters

Full story: Orlando Sentinel

Clear Channel Communications has eliminated the bulk of its Central Florida traffic team, continuing a string of layoffs at the company's local radio stations.
Comments
1 - 20 of 23 Comments Last updated Mar 3, 2013
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“Gay Man here ”

Since: Mar 07

Daytona Beach

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2007

They're in money trouble due to all the radio personalities talking about all the eye surgeries, beds, flooring they get for free, espically Brenda matthews about all her spa treatments, if she didn't spend all her time doing that and talking about it maybe her full time job wouldn't be terminated.

People listen to the radio for music and entertainment, not to hear all about the free stuff radio personalities get. Yes tell them so and so sent you, yeah we don't get it for free, so why would we mention your name.
Stumped

Lakeland, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2007

Judged:

Daytona can't be serious. When radio people talk about eye surgeries and such, it's called a commercial. That is how commercial radio stations keep the lights on, genius. The LAST reason any radio station would fire anyone would be for reading a commercial. The more likely reason would be that there aren't enough businesses willing to buy commercials to pay for the cost of keeping her on the payroll.
Concerned

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2007

Why would Brenda loose her job if she is ranked #1
That don't sound right. Who can stand that station anyway?

I believe local radio will be slowly phased out in next 10 years. Satellite radio XM, Sirus will take the market.
I have had XM for 2 years now and I would never listen to FM radio. The selection is great can listen to business I like CNBC.
Fat Albert

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2007

Clear channel made a mistake by firing Doc from XL
This company has made many bad decisions this year.
All the local stations play so many commercials people are tired of it.
Radio needs to figure out that the commercial spots will pay much better with a highly rated show. Double the price cut half the commercials off and people might listen.
I doubt it though local radio is doomed.
Satellite is the future.
Oh, here is a really dumb idea. Play wall to wall christmas music for 6 weeks 24 hours a day 7 days a week. Then wonder, where are the ratings. Again doomed
Common Sense

Orlando, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2007

Fat Albert- You are absolutely right about the Christmas music. We can listen to a couple of Christmas Carols an hour like "Silent Night" or "We Three Kings of Orient Are" but Clear Channel plays junk "Seasonal Songs" like "Frosty The Snowman" and "Parson Brown."
This is what happens when the FCC lets two corporations own multiple stations in the major markets across the country, Click:
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/7034...

“Gay Man here ”

Daytona Beach

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 29, 2007

Radio stations shouldn't allow personailities allowed to talk about all the free stuff that get or the free work that they have done.

“Gay Man here ”

Daytona Beach

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 29, 2007

I agree the 24/7 of Christams musicis stupid, that is why I have my CD's.
orlando native

Orlando, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 29, 2007

DaytonaDude wrote:
Allot of people like listening to Christmas music.
irony

Lake Mary, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 29, 2007

the "real radio" talent is eating all the revenue... they aren't pulling their weight anymore. the ratings started to fall big time ever since howard stern was kicked off all the clear channel stations. the overhead to pay talk talent is extreme, which is why most talk stations run snydicated programming.
irony

Lake Mary, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 29, 2007

DaytonaDude wrote:
i hear ya... my ipod rules!!!!!!!!
Fat Albert

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 29, 2007

orlando native wrote:
<quoted text>Allot of people like listening to Christmas music.
Yea, just before Christmas not 6 weeks before. They started playing before Thanksgiving was even here.
Ken Matthews

Glenwood, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2007

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JESUS ! In Allentown Pa the Christmas trees go up in Macys in September! Hurry up and give thanks(that would be Thanksgiving) and BUY BUY BUY
feel the joy & the incredible savings!
WWJD- What would Jesus discount?

www.KenMatthewsBlog.blogspot.com
MARIA

Lake Mary, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 24, 2007

I HOPE CLEAR CHANNEL WILL GO OUT OF BUSSINESS, RIGHT WINGED CHRISTIAN NUTS. I WILL BE VERY HAPPY AND THANKING MY OWN GOD ISIS WHEN THEY ARE OUT.
irony

Lake Mary, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 26, 2007

MARIA wrote:
I HOPE CLEAR CHANNEL WILL GO OUT OF BUSSINESS, RIGHT WINGED CHRISTIAN NUTS. I WILL BE VERY HAPPY AND THANKING MY OWN GOD ISIS WHEN THEY ARE OUT.
yeah, right. WTKS, REAL Radio 104.1 is a real right wing christian nut job station. especially those monsters in the morning!
AAAARRRRGGHH

Winter Haven, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 26, 2007

irony wrote:
<quoted text>
yeah, right. WTKS, REAL Radio 104.1 is a real right wing christian nut job station. especially those monsters in the morning!
The Monsters aren't - but Clear Channel's upper management is definitely right-wing, Bush-supporting Christian nut jobs. But like many of these types, they are hypocrites... they allow stuff like the Monsters on their station for only one rea$on...$$$$$$
They are happy because Bush wants to FURTHER consolidate media ownership into the hands of even fewer companies. Congress has the power to reverse this rule change, and a bipartisan group of 26 Senators already announced they'll try. We need the rest of the Senate to know we're paying attention and we want action.
Can you sign this petition asking Congress to reverse the FCC's media consolidation decision—and forward this email to a couple friends who would care about this issue?
http://civic.moveon.org/mediaconsolidation/o....
irony

Lake Mary, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 26, 2007

AAAARRRRGGHH wrote:
<quoted text>
The Monsters aren't - but Clear Channel's upper management is definitely right-wing, Bush-supporting Christian nut jobs. But like many of these types, they are hypocrites... they allow stuff like the Monsters on their station for only one rea$on...$$$$$$
They are happy because Bush wants to FURTHER consolidate media ownership into the hands of even fewer companies. Congress has the power to reverse this rule change, and a bipartisan group of 26 Senators already announced they'll try. We need the rest of the Senate to know we're paying attention and we want action.
Can you sign this petition asking Congress to reverse the FCC's media consolidation decision—and forward this email to a couple friends who would care about this issue?
yep, businesses usually are in the business of making money - terrestrial radio will soon be a dead horse... congress has more important things to work on... like our foreign policy. however, most people would rather scream about someone speaking a language in their presence they don't understand instead of what is happening outside their own little coccoon.

i find it interesting that the folks cryin' the loudest for the elimination of spanish programming from the airwaves (an attitude typically associated with conservatives)are also crying for more gov't regulation (an attitude typically associated with liberals)
irony

Lake Mary, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 26, 2007

AAAARRRRGGHH wrote:
<quoted text>
philips is a big liberal. moveon.org wants regulation in order to silence free speech. they already know that liberal talk radio does not get ratings... but conervative talk does. philips phile is the exception to the rule... and that is why clear channel allows them to continue -they make them money - its not about politics, its about what works... liberal talk, conservative talk, spanish, whatever works.

you realize that air america (liberal talk) went bankrupt... they couldn't get ratings. so then they actually paid to be on their affiliates. its supposed to be the other way around - but air america was a death sentence for ratings so it was the only way a station could make any revenue by running aa programs it. air america couldn't sell ads to pay for it and their talent...because their ratings were lousy. they've gone bankrupt
Ken Matthews

Glenwood, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 27, 2007

It's the CONTENT. It's always about content. whether it's your i-pod , your computer, TV or your radio.
If the audience LIKES the content, they stick around.If they don't, they'll listen, download, buy or steal it from someplace else. Regarding on-air talent:Sooner or later management gets what it pays for.

KenMatthews.com
simple

Winter Park, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2007

Ipod connected to the car radio = Great listening. No more lopsided talk, commercials, 10 song play lists all day.

Since: Jan 08

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2008

Ok...time to set the record straight - again. DaytonaDude - you obviously are ignorant about the situation, and your comments are mean spirited, and I'm thinking that there's some jealously involved by your tone. Either that or there are other, larger issues at work.

My company, Clear Channel, the largest radio broadcasting company in the world, is undergoing a sale, and is cutting staff deeply across the country. The slashing continues every single day. I was one of 14 people that have had to pay the price here in Orlando. Clear Channel is eliminating live shifts here in Orlando and elsewhere. After being the #1 personality in middays in Orlando for years, I now find my self part time..and I'm voice tracking my shift on Magic. In plain English, that means, I'm not live on the radio - I've recorded the shift the day before, etc. Fortunately, I also record shifts for 3 stations in 3 other markets aside from Orlando, and including Lite Rock 99.3 in Melbourne. Jobs are being eliminated by Clear Channel, and those left are also dealing with double duty and no extra pay. It's a tough time in the local radio business right now with Ipod and satellite radio listening. It's my chosen field. I'm trying to make it work for me in 2008. It isn't easy.

Now, to answer to your rude comments about 'Brenda matthews about all her spa treatments, if she didn't spend all her time doing that and talking about it maybe her full time job wouldn't be terminated", obviously you don't have a handle on this business - again the BUSINESS - of radio. My 'spa' services, that you refer to, are a bonifide part of my job. I'm sent to a spa by our sales department to tour, and to have a service done that I can talk about on the air, and eventually give away a gift certificate to a listener. As for Lasik, I endorse the Filutowski Cataract and Lasik Institute, and yes, they pay me, and yes, I believe in the client. I have turned down clients that I don't feel comfortable endorsing. This is all part of your job when you're in the business.

Maybe, DaytonaDude, you should check out the facts before you spout off. That's what ignorance is..not knowing the facts. As for you,'Concerned'..Magic is the #1 station not only in Metro Orlando, but in Volusia county as well. If you don't listen, odds are, you aren't a Person 25-54, or a female 18+. If you aren't..we don't program to you..so turn the dial..that's what it's there for!

Stop and think about what you write here. Stop and think that there are real people involved, and that they have reputations and careers to protect, and we work hard at what we do, too. Radio is a fun job - that's one of the perks, but it's a tough road right now, as in a lot of other businesses.

Brenda Matthews, Magic 107.7, Magic 107.1, Lite Rock 99.3, and Sunny 99.9.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

9 Users are viewing the Orlando Forum right now

Search the Orlando Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 6 min THE DEVIL 1,081,634
CASEY: Does the State Have the Goods to Convict? (Mar '10) 1 hr The Real Missyfit 484,215
Let's Chat (Jan '12) 4 hr The Real Missyfit 17,567
5000 post wins (Feb '13) 5 hr Princess Hey 4,120
The alphabet (Jun '06) 5 hr Princess Hey 1,027
Deputy Keith Rogers And Walt Disney Framed Me F... 6 hr DeathToTraitors 1
We Should Hang All Crooked Cops And Crooked Pol... 6 hr DeathToTraitors 3
•••
•••
•••
Orlando Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••