Latest scam: Canadian lottery tax

Full story: Orlando Sentinel

Virginia Reynolds dreads her next phone bill. The Sanford woman expects to be charged for multiple calls to Canada and Arizona.
Comments
41 - 47 of 47 Comments Last updated Feb 27, 2013
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Nik will

Escalon, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 28, 2010

If u put the check under a copier and scan it... It will say void....
Earl in SC

Columbia, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2010

I got the same letter as Sharon in CT. They are using a form letter because the greeting is "Dear Sir/Madam, GONGRATULATIONS!" If you had actually won money they would at least know your name. The name on the letter is Jeff Morales - Promotions Manager. Don't get taken.
t in oregon

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 14, 2010

Got same letter from kroger group, inc. It is addressed to sir/madam come on people are we really so stupid.
outside lookin in

Santa Rosa Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 16, 2010

With computers and high quality printers its not difficult to make checks look authentic.
KNOW WHO YOU'RE DOING BUSINESS WITH.
This goes for Craighs List, E-Bay, and the others.
Wishful Thinker

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 23, 2010

My husband received one in the mail yesterday for $3,975.00. Same as everyone else just a little different names. I called our local police and they will look into it. They said the check looked good enough to fool them. I wish people would stop calling people stupid, greedy, or wanting something for nothing. You never know when you enter sweepstakes by mail, internet, or in stores, you don't know where their headquarters are so to some people it does seem wonderful and like a prayer answered. (By the way, we had visited Canada.) I sure could have used the money because of illness and medical bills, but we'll make it without their money. The problem with people who scam is that they don't care who they are hurting. Instead, of calling the people who fall for it or hope it could be real, why not call the people who are behind the scams those names. Our President and elected officials need to pass laws and hold stronger senteces for these scams. They also need to hold them to what they promised. Maybe if they did that, then we wouldn't have to worry about it. It doesn't hurt to wish. Sometimes hope and faith in God is all we have to lean on.
tammy

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 22, 2012

I received the check dated 7/7/2012 for 3,875.00 of course to win 125,000.00. I knew it was a scam right off because I never win anything, but I looked it up anyway. So I say thank you to all who left comments. I'm up dating you. They are at it again....This time the promotional manager is Bryan McMullen and the claim agent is Mark Nelson. It's to bad these aren't real...one day it may be, but I'll throw it in the garbage...lol..
patricia united states

Palmdale, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2013

I received the same check for $3,875 . I'm really stupid I thought it was real. I put it into the bank. They put a hold on it . After the hold was lifted I started buying things, paying my bills etc. I left tax of $1875 in the bank. Now 15 days later my bank account has a withdraw of $-3785. I called the bank and they said the check was altered. I don't understand why my bank would lift the hold and let me withdraw and charge. I always get into lotteries, so stupid me I thought it was real. After the fact looking back at the letter sir/madam etc. how stupid can I be. Now I'm $-2000 in the hole. What do I do now. I thought this was a dream come true. Thanks for the comments above. IN THE FUTURE I'M NOT GOING TO ASSUME.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

15 Users are viewing the Orlando Forum right now

Search the Orlando Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min PDUPONT 1,095,054
Jodi Arias: Does the state have the goods to co... (Mar '13) 4 hr EXECUTE KID KILLE... 25,770
CASEY: Does the State Have the Goods to Convict? (Mar '10) 4 hr EXECUTE KID KILLE... 486,255
Ravelry.com connects arts-and-crafts lovers the... (Mar '09) 4 hr Regina 232
Armed Good Samaritan Comes To The Aid Of Stabbi... 6 hr caikminyc 2
New theme park Cuba 6 hr n-dis-grace 2
FL Who do you support for Attorney General in Flor... (Oct '10) 9 hr lost 2,118
•••
•••
•••
Orlando Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Orlando Jobs