Latest scam: Canadian lottery tax

Latest scam: Canadian lottery tax

There are 47 comments on the Orlando Sentinel story from Oct 21, 2008, titled Latest scam: Canadian lottery tax. In it, Orlando Sentinel reports that:

Virginia Reynolds dreads her next phone bill. The Sanford woman expects to be charged for multiple calls to Canada and Arizona.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Orlando Sentinel.

gracie

United States

#21 Jul 13, 2009
i just recieved the exact letter that lee potter recieved. That goodness i looked up this company. I knew it was too good to be true. the name that is being used is Steve Noble (claims manager).

thanks
GOT ONE TOO

Palm Desert, CA

#22 Jul 15, 2009
GOT THE LETTER FROM NATIONAL FINANCIAL AND TRUST WITH THE CHECK DRAWN ON COMERICA BANK ANN ARBOR MI. HAVE TO SAY THE CHECK LOOKS PRETTY GOOD REAL BANK AND REAL TRUST COMPANY. THEY ARE STEPPING UP THE PROPS TO A HIGHER LEVEL OF REALNESS
Scam Again

North Las Vegas, NV

#25 Jul 22, 2009
We received a check in the mail around July 9th. It was for 3500.00 and was also drawn from Suntrust Bank in Orlando, Florida. The name on the letter is ESTCUBE GLOBAL, Inc. I called the number to see what they would have to say, since I know things that are too good to be true, are usually not true. But, just to humor myself and my family, I called. A man with a strong accent answered the phone and instructed me to deposit the check into my bank account. When I told him I did not have a bank account, he asked if I knew someone with a bank account that I could use to deposit the check. I stated to him no, so what do I do. He quickly got frustrated with me. I then asked him how I was to know that this was not a fraud and I think I would contact my lawyer and maybe the local police. He then yelled at me and stated to do what I needed to do. I had won money and he has instructed me on what to do and that was all he could say.
Now, I would like to know where do I report this fraud to?
bkbucks

Reynoldsburg, OH

#26 Jul 26, 2009
I recieved a leter from national financial and trust. Tor CA. Saying I had won 125,000 in American shoppers lottery. I was immediately skeptical but the check looked so real. I followed up with my bank where I was told that it was probably a fraud and they would look into it. I decided to call them back and ask for there name again. Then told them how wonderful this was becausae i had a dying son on life support and my insurance just ran out.Thanks to them I would be able to save my boy. Screw em if they want to scam ill at least make em feel bad.
Sues

Lincoln, NE

#28 Aug 13, 2009
Why is this not mail fraud?
Chris

Williamsburg, VA

#29 Aug 14, 2009
Mine says I won some lottery held July 15th 2009 and I get to share it with the "other 72 declared winners". Lucky me. I haven't played the lottery in any state for the last 5 or so years. And here I was the winner of $120,000. There went the 1st red flag. Gave me a realistic check for $4875, which was deducted from my winnings where $2875 of it will be paid either WESTERN UNION or MONEYGRAM directly to the tax agent. 2nd and 3rd red flags for me. Thats when I fired up the computer and googled the info. I am so tempted to go to the bank or even a check cashing joint to see if I can somehow make this fake check become real money.
Sawgrass Willy

Charlottesville, VA

#30 Aug 17, 2009
Gloom and Doom wrote:
<quoted text>
That's exactly why they are voting for Obungholeus.
I think you mean that's why all the stupid Americans voted for Bush the Boob TWICE!
Sarah Hall

East Lyme, CT

#31 Aug 29, 2009
My husband (an elderly gentleman of 80) also received the same letter, this one from ORACLE TRUST, INC. PROMOTIONS DIVISION, PRIZE AND AWARD PRESENTATION NORTH AMERICAN INTERNATIONAL CLAIMS DEPARTMENT, 20 KING ST, OTTAWA, ON. CANADA. Ashley White is the Claim Agent and Steve nobel is the Promotional Manager.
Supposedly he has won $120,000 USD. A check for $4,700 accompanied this letter with the instructions that $2,980 are to pay applicable Government/bond fees.
I am so glad that I researched this and found others who have been victims of this scam. At least he can read these reports and know that I am not trying to rain on his parade, just trying to protect him from these scammers.
Uncle Herb

Bucyrus, OH

#33 Sep 3, 2009
In your first evaluation of the envelope that you receive: Why is the WINNER's name on a self-stick address label ?[Probably 1500 names that this letter is being sent to.] A WINNER should be sent a SPECIAL, HAPPY, CONGRATULATIONS ! 2. There is no return address on the envelope. Then, inside, the letter AT LEAST could contain YOUR PERSONAL NAME
[would that be so hard ?] 3. "Shoppers' names from WAL-MART [ does Walmart collect names ?]
In conclusion, the entire letter design is NON-PROFESSIONAL; AND Why the "Confidential" stamp ? This is supposed to be a CONGRATULATIONS !
chris from NY

Guilderland, NY

#34 Oct 5, 2009
Greed Greed Greed! That's what these people feed on. If it sounds to good to be true it is people.
Canadian lottery send letters to US citezens advising them that they have one. Did you play the Canadian Lottery? They got your name from Walmart, Penneys, Sears, etc? Yeah you'd shop there again if they're throwing out your name like a pez dispenser right?
We have hundreds of thousands of dollars just waiting for you, just send me the tax money and it's all yours. Um why wouldn't they take it out of all those thousands?
Common sense people..if it walks like a duck, talks like a duck, sounds like a duck, guess what it's a duck! Not a hen laying golden eggs.
You work hard for your money don't you? Then don't give it to people like good old steve who don't!
sara

Plymouth, MA

#35 Oct 29, 2009
steve nobel and ashley white...get around their new company name is water gate worldwide...and now sending citi bank check w/ NJ address...and their company is out of Canada....
oh well ....maybe next time
Bob

Atwater, OH

#36 Nov 16, 2009
Steve and Ashley are still at it!! This time the check is from "Kroger Incorporated" drawn on JPMorgan Chase Bank. Check looks good enough to cash....NOT!.If I were to attempt this scam at least I would...oops..better not give away that thought in case they are "watching"
Barbara McLain

AOL

#37 Nov 18, 2009
My husband received a check today from Kroger Incorporated, in the amount of $4,700.00 from JPMorgan Chase Bank, NA, it looks real but to good to be true, if you have to pay anything you haven't really won anything, lotterys don't charge tax, The letter said we would get another check as soon as we paid $2,980.00, for the amount of $120,000.00, It's a good thing were old and half a brain to know this is a sham, but some people arn't as aware of things going around like this.
SAM from DallasTX

Rockdale, TX

#38 Nov 30, 2009
So has anyone attempt to cash the check? My mom received the check and she new it was fishy. I even pointed out to her about the addresses, one from Canada and one from USA. I told her it was a scam but she was like "what if its not" . So now that I looked it up for her to check if theres been any reports of this scam, there are! So I called and told her and she said she was going to try to cash it anyways but not at the bank. Oh, my poor mother.
Msg

Pharr, TX

#39 Dec 26, 2009
I just got one in the mail today.. same people.. same scam. Boy I wish this were real =( Oh well.
Suzette Jones

East Peoria, IL

#40 Jan 12, 2010
I just received a check for 3995.00 I won the america shoppers lottery for 125,000.00. What should I do next? Call police or FBI or simply throw it away. I just want to catch these people before they get ahold of an idiot or an elderly person or anyone else.
Halton Holmes

Toronto, Canada

#41 Jan 19, 2010
call FBI &/or read the link below etc & lets see what they say as

So Many scams like this Canadian lottery tax -

Topix Amy Bruce Chain Letter a forgery fyi: to supposedly Help To Save A Life

http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/blamybr...

Hi, my name is Amy Bruce. I am 7 years old, and I have lung cancer .. I also have a large tumor in my brain, from repeated beatings. D octors say I will die soon if this isn't fixed, and my family can't pay the bills ...

http://www.topix.com/world/north-america/2010...
Hilton Head

Apopka, FL

#42 Jan 19, 2010
Send the checks to Acorn, they'll find a way to cash them.
NAME

Baton Rouge, LA

#44 Apr 14, 2010
I just received a check from Intel Communications Inc in the amount of $4000. $2980 of it is to pay for government/bond fees. Then they want me to contact a claim agent immediately. The bond fees are to be paid to any Western Union. Then they will send me the necessary information needed to get my second check in the amount of $116,000. Oh how I wish this were true. Sure could use the money. haha
Sharon in CT

United States

#45 Apr 23, 2010
Just recieved a check from "POLAROID INTERNATIONAL INC"
P.O.BOX 9875
YAKIMA, WA 98909
for $4700 AmericanWest Bank
639 Morgan S, Box 520
Davenport, WA 99122
The letter came congratulating me as one of the lucky winners of "Shoppers Lottery" held March 20th, 2010 entitled to the sum of $120.000. It states that in order to release my funds I have to call in for furthor instructions and pay a fee of $2980, then they would release the remaining balance of $115,300.
I am writing this so that no-one falls for this scam or anyother scam out there. Don't be fooled because the CHECK LOOKS REAL!!!!!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Orlando Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Obama: Notion that being armed would have saved... 15 min OK Barry 941
News News 28 Mins Ago 'Not the America we want': Oba... 33 min Patriot 279
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 44 min USAsince1680 1,395,134
Pulse Massacre: Radicalized Islam and/or Autoho... 46 min atheist 1
News The Wall Street Journal: Poll suggests Orlando ... 58 min atheist 1
News Pastor who prayed for Orlando shooting victims ... 1 hr atheist 1
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 1 hr Mothra 60,090
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Orlando Mortgages