Latest scam: Canadian lottery tax

Latest scam: Canadian lottery tax

There are 47 comments on the Orlando Sentinel story from Oct 21, 2008, titled Latest scam: Canadian lottery tax. In it, Orlando Sentinel reports that:

Virginia Reynolds dreads her next phone bill. The Sanford woman expects to be charged for multiple calls to Canada and Arizona.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Orlando Sentinel.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
redgator

Palm Coast, FL

#1 Oct 21, 2008
seems pretty obvious this was a scam. just don't see how people can fall for these.
Pachacutec

Fort Collins, CO

#2 Oct 21, 2008
Hard to believe people fall for these things, but apparently lots of 'em do. If you didn't enter a lottery, whether here in the US or anywhere else, it's highly, highly unlikely that you're going to be a winner. But a lot of people still want something for nothing...
Gloom and Doom

Silver Spring, MD

#3 Oct 21, 2008
It started with a letter from Alliance Financial Services Inc. in Toronto telling her she had won $125,000 in the De-Lotto American Shoppers Lottery.

Hey fool, if you did not buy a lotto ticket you did not win any lotto. Is that clear enough? Sort of like the idiot who prayed to God every day to let him win the lotto. Finally, after several months, in a burst of thunder, God said meet me half way fellow, buy a ticket.
Gloom and Doom

Silver Spring, MD

#4 Oct 21, 2008
Pachacutec wrote:
Hard to believe people fall for these things, but apparently lots of 'em do. If you didn't enter a lottery, whether here in the US or anywhere else, it's highly, highly unlikely that you're going to be a winner. But a lot of people still want something for nothing...
That's exactly why they are voting for Obungholeus.
UnluckyatLotto

United States

#5 Oct 21, 2008
Brain consumed by greed, and just maybe this could be for real! Dopes.
Howard S

Omaha, NE

#6 Oct 21, 2008
Gloom and Doom,

I have a neighbor who received a check similar to the one on this story. Thank God for this McSaimer there was an Obungholeus to help her our...Otherwise the McSaimer would've been part of this McSame story....

08' ObAmA/BIdeN!!!
smart one

Longwood, FL

#7 Oct 21, 2008
I thought the latest scam was the global warming scam.....oh, I forgot the wall street bailout scam is actually the latest one.

The best scam of all is being played by the illegal musim immigrat from kenya, but that one will soon be over.
helped mom

Winter Haven, FL

#8 Oct 21, 2008
My Mom can't here on the phone so she just agrees with people sometimes and sometimes tells them I will be home later. I answered the phone and David Fisher (or that is what he said his name was), said my Mom won 2.5 million dollars. He was from Las Vegas, Global & International Sweepstakes Company. He said Mom had to go to Western Union and send $200. I knew it was not for real. I didn't read the newspaper before this happened. I just wanted to let other people know about this one to. Plus I'm glad my Mom didn't answer the phone. Thank heavens she tells them that I take care of her calls.
Shopper bites the dust

Austin, TX

#9 Jan 30, 2009
I received a letter form ARCELORMITTAL CORPORATIONS (Promotions Division, Prize and award Presentation North American International Claims Department) SHOPPERS LOTTERY. London, Ontario Canada
I won $120,000.00, of which they sent me a check on Chase bank for $4700.00--instructions deposit this into my account and then call them for further instruction.
I took the check and letter to my bank, they could not offer me any guarantee.
It amazes me how with electronic banking, debit, deposit check on line, pay bills etc. your bank can not tell you if this was a hoax.
Anyway I deposited this check and the bank will hold funds for 11 days, whereas at what time they verify authenticity. In any results my account will not be in danger.
This was a dream come true, with two people in my family out of a job at this time--we do like to dream.
ccc987

Houston, TX

#10 Jan 31, 2009
Did it turn out to be real on this ARCELORMITTAL CORPORATIONS (Promotions Division, Prize and award Presentation North American International Claims Department) SHOPPERS LOTTERY. London, Ontario Canada
rose mary

Clinton, WA

#11 Jan 31, 2009
I also received this same letter Arcelormittal Corp. postmarked 1-23-09 from Canada to my home address in Wa. I still have the check. Let me know how you made out with depositing it in your bank. They say in the letter this check for $4,700 will enable you to pay the applicable Government/bond fees of $2,980. and to call Steve Nobel. Is this for real?
2good2b

Los Banos, CA

#12 Feb 18, 2009
I just received a letter similar to the ones you have, except the business is now called "royal Communications,Inc" out of Ottawa. Same guy, Steve Nobel. I went on-line and can't find anything on this company. Hopefully more people come to this site and figure that this is a huge hoax before they put themselves in a worse spot than they are probably already in. Desperate times spark gullability.
Godrick

Barnegat, NJ

#13 Mar 12, 2009
I also received similar to the one you have but this one is from Fortune securities inc.Ottawa Canada. I right away knew it was a scam. I am going to call Johnson Bank in Fort Atkinson WI to alert them of the fradulent check.
Carol Reynolds

Estacada, OR

#14 Apr 10, 2009
I just received a check today from a company called "Glo-Sec Incorporated saying I won some money from Shoppers Lottery.Luck would have it that I don't believe much.So the Postmaster in my town will look into this scam.This outfit is from Canada.
Amy

Kalamazoo, MI

#15 Apr 11, 2009
I just received a check from GLO-SEC Incorporated too. Could not find such a company either. Wanted me to also call Steve Nobel and do the things listed by the other respondants. Thanks for this site to help clear this up. I hope Canada will do something about these scam artists.
Mike

United States

#16 Apr 13, 2009
I just got the same letter from GLO-SEC. What I would like to do is find out how they got my address and go after that company for violating privacy laws.
Taken

Sedgwick, CO

#17 Apr 16, 2009
I got the same letter from Glo Sec. And guess what!! We went for it. we are from a small rural area and have to work 2 jobs to make our income comfortable. We jumped thru hoops to get this going. When it came the day to recieve our winnings we got a call from United Kingdom London England Head office saying they recieved our winings and we had to send them more money to get it here. The red flag went up and we stopped the trsnisition. A lesson learned . The 2 people we talked to was Steve Nobel and Vennasa Lodge ,Emily Fortex. Harold ? from Londan England and a lady from BBC insurance. Wish we would of seen this Link as we looked for it earlier. Taken!Julesburg CO.
Fake_Check

Enterprise, AL

#18 May 15, 2009
I received this scam in the mail on 05/14/09 with some minor changes and I can't believe how good the check looks! But, fake it is.
I just got off the phone with the FBI and they are aware of this scam and of the quality of the fake checks.
FYI a business transaction should never, ever occur through Western Union. There is no way to stop the person who receives the money from just keeping it.
Key words for search engines:
canada post western union check chase brian mcdonald prize won affiliated insurance inc international claims department bay st toronto ontario claim number winning final 905 notification 598 no 2760
Be Aware

Bergenfield, NJ

#19 Jun 30, 2009
I just got a check for the same amount of $4,700 and the letter from a Steve nobel. I was thinking my prayers were answered!! But being the skeptic I am, I began to investigate and found this site. Even the ABC Investment Union address was not legitimate. Thank God my prayers were answered to be smarter and skeptical. Don't fall for this. But man, this check looks so darn real!!
lee potter

Nashville, TN

#20 Jul 12, 2009
I also was sent a check on july 6th. It was for $3500.00 and it is drawn from Suntrust bank, in Orlando Fla. The name the scammers used this time was Estcube Global. This is very sad, especially since the economy is so bad for everyone. I really hope these people are caught!! Once again the name that is being used is Steve Noble (claims Manager)(office hours-mon-fri-10am to 7pm eastern) Please don't fall for this, just report it!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Orlando Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Missing 5-year-old Florida girl likely was abdu... (Feb '09) 7 min zazz 97,466
CASEY: Does the State Have the Goods to Convict? (Mar '10) 7 min LizW 501,585
Inspiration Lane - Don't Quit (May '09) 17 min LizW 72,464
Let's Chat (Jan '12) 34 min LizW 18,344
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 34 min Bluestater 1,265,118
keep a word----drop a word (Feb '11) 48 min Thyme_ouT 18,079
two words (Jul '10) 6 hr Gypsey hobo 27,350
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Orlando Mortgages