Florida left out of tourney for second straight season

The Florida Gators will not be back in the NCAA Tournament again this season. The 2006 and 2007 national champions became the first team in NCAA basketball history to not make the tournament two straight ... Full Story
Max

West Jefferson, NC

#1 Mar 15, 2009
The Gators didn't deserve to get in. The only reason to play in the NIT is exactly that - play, because this is not a very good basketball team. Lack of talent means lack of chemistry, and that describes this team. Billy's recruiting has been poor the past two years, as this team so amply now demonstrates. The key question is whether any of these freshman, other than Walker, can actually play. If not, the team is in more trouble for next year because Werner, Calathes, and Parsons are simply not the kind of first tier players that can carry a team.

Soft and non-athletic are not the type of players who will restore UF to basketball prominence, and those adjectives describe the nucleus of what Billy currently has, other than Tyus.
ABC

Pompano Beach, FL

#2 Mar 15, 2009
Max wrote:
The Gators didn't deserve to get in. The only reason to play in the NIT is exactly that - play, because this is not a very good basketball team. Lack of talent means lack of chemistry, and that describes this team. Billy's recruiting has been poor the past two years, as this team so amply now demonstrates. The key question is whether any of these freshman, other than Walker, can actually play. If not, the team is in more trouble for next year because Werner, Calathes, and Parsons are simply not the kind of first tier players that can carry a team.
Soft and non-athletic are not the type of players who will restore UF to basketball prominence, and those adjectives describe the nucleus of what Billy currently has, other than Tyus.
I agree the Gators should not get in, but your analysis is off. The recruiting has not been poor the last two years, it is more of a case of the players underachieving. It is a guessing game as to what players pan out.

In addition, Vargas did not play this year, Lucas (who was supposed to be a good recruit) left the team, and Speights went to the NBA. Some younger guys and less talented guys got a lot more minutes.

None of those things were expected, Speights alone would have been worth 3 or 4 wins in a down SEC.

Also, lack of talent, which this team did have, does not mean lack of chemistry. Better teams appear to have great chemistry because they are winning. Chemistry is an overused cliche like clutch. The team with better players gives you the best chance to win.
Delusionole

Winter Park, FL

#3 Mar 16, 2009
yep.

Since: Sep 07

Greensboro, NC

#4 Mar 16, 2009
I believe that this team had talent, they are just too young. They need to get some more playing time under their collective belts & start believing in themselves. Let's win the NIT & maybe that will act as a springboard to greater things next year.
bullgator

West Palm Beach, FL

#5 Mar 16, 2009
Kenny Boynton will help ALOT next season...
Rich

Las Vegas, NV

#6 Mar 16, 2009
what is the story on that Vargas kid? was he just injured or not that good? seems odd he didn't ever play.
RickyBlaque

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#7 Mar 16, 2009
bullgator wrote:
Kenny Boynton will help ALOT next season...
Sorry Bullgator, I'm from South Florida and I can tell you, Kenny Boynton is Anthony Roberson all over again. He can't play the point and is a selfish me first player. He does not fit the team oriented type Billy D needs. It's bad enough that the so called big name recruits Billy has brought in lately like chemistry killer Nick Calathes, soft Chandler Parsons and Kenny Kadji haven't worked out. Billy needs to go back to the formula of recruiting team oriented and coachable guys, not these 4 and 5 star glamour guys that don't bring it every night. Billy needs get to know these recruits better before signing them. The most galling move he's made lately was signing Chandler Parsons and criminole coach, Leonard Hamilton rejected his F$U commitment.
RickyBlaque

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#8 Mar 16, 2009
G8RDAVE wrote:
I believe that this team had talent, they are just too young. They need to get some more playing time under their collective belts & start believing in themselves. Let's win the NIT & maybe that will act as a springboard to greater things next year.
That criminole coach, Leonard Hamilton rebuilt a mediocre NIT F$U team with six freshmen and they went to the Dance. Our # 1 rated 2007 Nick Calathes led class is going to the NIT. Youth wasn't the problem, it was chemistry and underachieving big name recruits. Jai Lucas left because of Calathes. It is apparent that Calathes should be a small forward because he cannot handle quick SEC point guards. Erving Walker should have started at the point. A lineup of Walker, Hodges, Calathes, Werner and Tyus would have worked the best but Billy promised Calathes the point and therein lies the problem.
All of America

Orlando, FL

#9 Mar 16, 2009
Yea!
Gets it

United States

#10 Mar 16, 2009
Back to back NITs show that UF had two great basketball teams, but they don't have a great basketball program.
DPack

Sarasota, FL

#11 Mar 16, 2009
While I am not a gator I do follow college bb. You have no clue. Donovan 3 years running now has landed three years running top 5 recruiting classes along the way. The Soph group of Calathes, Parsons, Allen and Tyus. The current Frosh group of Kadji, Vargas, Walker and Chaney and next years group of Boynton, Painter and Murphy. The type of leadership that a team needs to develop needs time to take hold and it was taking shape this year with further development of Calathes and Walker in the backcourt. With the overall development of Kadji (6/10), Vargas (6/10) and newcomers Painter and Murphy both around 6/10 moving Warner and Parsons to their natural wing positions and the addition of Boynton a true off guard the Gators may be more than capable to make a serious run not only in the SEC but nationally next year. Losing the nucleus that was the two championship years teams and BD's decision to potentially be courted to the NBA put recruiting back one year. I would say that the staff has done a tremendous job restocking the cupboard. The difference is these Gators were thrust into leadership roles before they were without question ready, something that Brewer/Horford/Noah and those of the championship teams were not. That in itself in major college basketball is a learning curve that every coach wants natural not literally baptism by fire. And by the way during this baptism the Gators have won 20 plus each year and while not making the NCAA tourney without question is disheartening these gators will certainly before its over have their day on the national scene. BOOK IT!
Dolphinatik

Boston, MA

#12 Mar 16, 2009
UF backsetball thrives on workers. Not jsut superstarts that can shoot but the hard working scrappers that do all the dirty work. We have none of that now. No Brent Wright, no Corey Brewer. Noah and Horford were workers not superstars when they were here. Calethas is a tier 1 talent and I love Tyus but we need petter complimentry players. Parsons and Warner have been huge disappointments. They were supposed to be deadly sharpshooters from three.

Speights also screwed us. But he likely did the right thing since he went in the first round but he still likely would have. This team was supposed to have Speights manning the middle with Khadji at PF, Tyus SF, Caltheas and Walker is definetly a team that would have gone far. They had a good year and not making the tourney is not a heartbreaker. Finishing strongin the NIT would be huge. Go Gators.
rickyblaque

Miami, FL

#13 Mar 16, 2009
DPack wrote:
While I am not a gator I do follow college bb. You have no clue. Donovan 3 years running now has landed three years running top 5 recruiting classes along the way. The Soph group of Calathes, Parsons, Allen and Tyus. The current Frosh group of Kadji, Vargas, Walker and Chaney and next years group of Boynton, Painter and Murphy. The type of leadership that a team needs to develop needs time to take hold and it was taking shape this year with further development of Calathes and Walker in the backcourt. With the overall development of Kadji (6/10), Vargas (6/10) and newcomers Painter and Murphy both around 6/10 moving Warner and Parsons to their natural wing positions and the addition of Boynton a true off guard the Gators may be more than capable to make a serious run not only in the SEC but nationally next year. Losing the nucleus that was the two championship years teams and BD's decision to potentially be courted to the NBA put recruiting back one year. I would say that the staff has done a tremendous job restocking the cupboard. The difference is these Gators were thrust into leadership roles before they were without question ready, something that Brewer/Horford/Noah and those of the championship teams were not. That in itself in major college basketball is a learning curve that every coach wants natural not literally baptism by fire. And by the way during this baptism the Gators have won 20 plus each year and while not making the NCAA tourney without question is disheartening these gators will certainly before its over have their day on the national scene. BOOK IT!
You make no sense, our classes have flopped, Calathes' teammates do not like him, Parsons is soft, Kadji and Vargas have flopped. The Criminoles on the other hand have moved to the next level while incorporating six new players and embarassingly enough, they've beaten us the last 3 years. This galls me most of all. Lastly, in next year's class Kenny Boynton is very talented but he is a me first type of player. Billy D is repeating past mistakes, i.e. Roberson, Walsh, Dreier.
DPack

Sarasota, FL

#14 Mar 17, 2009
rickyblaque wrote:
<quoted text>
You make no sense, our classes have flopped, Calathes' teammates do not like him, Parsons is soft, Kadji and Vargas have flopped. The Criminoles on the other hand have moved to the next level while incorporating six new players and embarassingly enough, they've beaten us the last 3 years. This galls me most of all. Lastly, in next year's class Kenny Boynton is very talented but he is a me first type of player. Billy D is repeating past mistakes, i.e. Roberson, Walsh, Dreier.
Please explain the word "flopped". The current Gator squads over the past two years have won 20 plus games in a more than traditionally tough league which is the SEC. They have done so without the benefit of upperclass leadership. You compare that to FSU and while avid Gator fans may be upset with the current losing to the arch rival, FSU as had the benefit of that upper class leadership with Al Thorton and Tony Douglas, Jason Rich and others that is very necessary especially in stretch drives which have hampered Fl the past two years.
As for team chemistry this team at FL. may be having those problems but one thing is for sure, without Calathes Fl for the most part would be in much deeper trouble. Parsons is noteably playing out of position and seems confused but experience and strength between this year and next must be accomplished for the young gators to succeed. As for FSU yes they have incorporated six players into the rotation however Reid, Echefu and Douglas have provided a strong upperclass nucleus while Alabi has been there a full two years to assimulate into the role. The other newcomers realized this and have done a nice job in role acceptance and each has had their moments during the year which is exactly what you would expect from underclassmen. This has not been the case for FL. over the past two years where the underclassman have had to be go-to guys from the start.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Orlando Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 12 min Portlandia 1,153,047
CASEY: Does the State Have the Goods to Convict? (Mar '10) 47 min Mary NY 490,126
Missing 5-year-old Florida girl likely was abdu... (Feb '09) 1 hr zazz 96,608
Review: Global Motorwerks LLC (Aug '13) 5 hr Melanie 7
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 8 hr kal 49,174
Inspiration Lane - Don't Quit (May '09) 10 hr Miles 70,587
Let's Chat (Jan '12) 12 hr Miles 17,702
Orlando Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Orlando People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Orlando News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Orlando