Once slow-moving threat, global warmi...

Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt...

There are 53576 comments on the Newsday story from Dec 14, 2008, titled Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt.... In it, Newsday reports that:

When Bill Clinton took office in 1993, global warming was a slow-moving environmental problem that was easy to ignore.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

B as in B S as in S

Minneapolis, MN

#41903 Dec 10, 2013
gcaveman1 wrote:
While the continental U.S. has been shivering from coast-to-coast with temperatures dropping as low as minus-40F amid one of the most severe early December cold snaps in several years, one state bucked the trend in an historic way. The same contorted jet stream pattern that brought the brutal cold to the lower 48 states pushed a pulse of milder-than-average air into Alaska, where some spots recorded temperatures unheard of for December.
At the airport in Deadhorse, which serves the oil production hub of Prudhoe Bay, the temperature hit 39F on December 7, the highest December temperature on record there since at least 1968, said Rick Thoman of the National Weather Service (NWS) in Fairbanks in an interview. Even more notable, perhaps, was the fact that it was raining, rather than snowing. Rain there is unusual so late in the year.
Previously, the highest December temperature recorded at any of the two climate observation sites that have served Prudhoe Bay over the years was 35F, set on Dec. 31, 1973, according to Chris Burt, a blogger at WeatherUnderground.
December high temperature records were also set or tied at Barter Island AFB, which is a tiny airport located on a sliver of land along Alaskas wind-whipped North Slope region, and in the small village of Wainwright, another Arctic shore location. Barter Island reached 37F, which tied its record last set in 1973, and Wainright hit 32F, beating the old record of 30F last set in 2006.
Other noteworthy Alaska records included a December record high of 54F in King Salmon, which is situated along Bristol Bay in southwest Alaska. That broke the previous record of 51F, and records there date back to World War II. Daily high temperature records were also set at Kotzebue, Bettles, and Cold Bay, Alaska, among other locations, Thoman said.
The first nine days of December ran 22.2F above average in Barrow, and 18.5F above average in Kotzebue, according to NWS data.
"...a pulse of milder-than-average air into Alaska, where some spots recorded temperatures unheard of for December."

Are recording this?

"UNHEARD OF" ? Oh really? "...the temperature hit 39F on December 7, the highest December temperature on record there since at least 1968 said Rick Thoman," Ya, unheard of unless your name is Rick.
A classic example of propaganda.
Now, can anyone point out 3 more techniques used in this piece to manipulate public opinion?
"Hyperbole" just seems so inadequate in describing this piece.

Stay warm :-)
B as in B S as in S

Minneapolis, MN

#41904 Dec 10, 2013
gcaveman1 wrote:
While the continental U.S. has been shivering from coast-to-coast with temperatures dropping as low as minus-40F amid one of the most severe early December cold snaps in several years, one state bucked the trend in an historic way. The same contorted jet stream pattern that brought the brutal cold to the lower 48 states pushed a pulse of milder-than-average air into Alaska, where some spots recorded temperatures unheard of for December.
At the airport in Deadhorse, which serves the oil production hub of Prudhoe Bay, the temperature hit 39F on December 7, the highest December temperature on record there since at least 1968, said Rick Thoman of the National Weather Service (NWS) in Fairbanks in an interview. Even more notable, perhaps, was the fact that it was raining, rather than snowing. Rain there is unusual so late in the year.
Previously, the highest December temperature recorded at any of the two climate observation sites that have served Prudhoe Bay over the years was 35F, set on Dec. 31, 1973, according to Chris Burt, a blogger at WeatherUnderground.
December high temperature records were also set or tied at Barter Island AFB, which is a tiny airport located on a sliver of land along Alaskas wind-whipped North Slope region, and in the small village of Wainwright, another Arctic shore location. Barter Island reached 37F, which tied its record last set in 1973, and Wainright hit 32F, beating the old record of 30F last set in 2006.
Other noteworthy Alaska records included a December record high of 54F in King Salmon, which is situated along Bristol Bay in southwest Alaska. That broke the previous record of 51F, and records there date back to World War II. Daily high temperature records were also set at Kotzebue, Bettles, and Cold Bay, Alaska, among other locations, Thoman said.
The first nine days of December ran 22.2F above average in Barrow, and 18.5F above average in Kotzebue, according to NWS data.
So what's your point in pasting this piece onto a Climate Change Topix board?
Is it to demonstrate how this warm weather in Alaska is evidence that the planet is warming?
Or perhaps it is toindicate Man's use of fossil fuels is connected to Alaska's unseasonable temps.
Or are you claiming that this is proof that CAGW... no that can't be your point cuz that would be really stupid.

On second thought...

Since: Mar 09

Wichita, KS

#41905 Dec 11, 2013
heavytune wrote:
<quoted text>oh but 'bozo', you do believe in it. the theory has no, none, never been proven. it is nothing but heresay, made up. you lunatics in lala land have the delusional belief that normal, natural weather is full blown proof of your made up fairytale world of man made global warming. historical records mean nothing to you when it comes to the hysteria of the fairytale of man causing the weather. get down from the soapbox and take a break before you freeze to death. enough of the bullshtt. it is nothing but a religion, and a stupid one at that. you don't seem to have the common sense to not know a scam when it is brought out in front of you. climate cycles to you are man made? the climate history means nothing to you? I suppose you think the sun is just a big bright shiny thing in the sky so we all know when to get up in the mornings. you lunatic delusional zealots with your newfound religion are beyond belief. do they issue you the tinfoil hats, or do you have to make your own? I'll bet yours has tassels.
What a bunch of baloney you depraved souls exude. Of course I believe what the scientists have measured. Believers like you folks more "believe" in what Limbaugh or Watts have to say than what real scientists find. We know where the religion is. When you folks throw out the science of course all that is left for you to understand is the religion.
Cut n Paste

Minneapolis, MN

#41907 Dec 11, 2013
Next 6 Hours:
Mostly sunny with temperatures warming rapidly to 0 to -4F. Winds WNW at 10 to 15 mph.
Al Private Jet Gore

Fullerton, CA

#41908 Dec 11, 2013
Cut n Paste wrote:
Next 6 Hours:
Mostly sunny with temperatures warming rapidly to 0 to -4F. Winds WNW at 10 to 15 mph.
That's weather not climate. Big difference. Under my plan, we save the world from calamity.
Fun Facts

Las Cruces, NM

#41911 Dec 11, 2013
gcaveman1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I said Nome. Apparently you can't read. The temperature was from the local weather service in.....NOME. ALASKA. It was for SUNDAY.
If you had a brain, you'd take it out and play with it.
Post #41850
"Maybe you should become an Alaskan hillbilly. It was 19* there today. At the 64th parallel."

http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/nome-ak/9976...

http://www.localconditions.com/weather-nome-a...
Fun Facts

Las Cruces, NM

#41912 Dec 11, 2013
Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
One does not believe "in" global warming. We know that global warming is happening because our instruments and senses tell us so. You can believe in Santa Clause if you want, but he is not going to make global warming go away!
"I believe what the scientists have measured." Patriot aka Bozo

“I Feel”

Level 4

Since: Feb 09

Blest4it!

#41913 Dec 11, 2013
gcaveman1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, never mind. But learn to spell so you won't sound so stupid.
typical response from someone who has no response! Thanks, mullet!!
Btw...I thought you said you weren't going to respond to me anymore? What happened? Did you lie, son? Again?
heavytune

Seattle, WA

#41914 Dec 11, 2013
Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
What a bunch of baloney you depraved souls exude. Of course I believe what the scientists have measured. Believers like you folks more "believe" in what Limbaugh or Watts have to say than what real scientists find. We know where the religion is. When you folks throw out the science of course all that is left for you to understand is the religion.
oh my 'bozo', you are the one who tends to exude baloney. your theory is wrong and corrupt and has no, nada, none, never ever been proven. who was around a hundred, a thousand, or ten thousand years ago measuring these facts that you base your religion on? who believes 'bozo'? at least limbaugh is a good entertainer who brings up some good points, watts is an excellent researcher who has the one thing warmers like you lack. yes 'bozo', I am talking about common sense. pick some up if you ever get a chance. I know that must be a scary thing for you to think about but it is way better than thinking about the mile or so of ice that used to cover north america. who is throwing science out 'bozo'? I know that history does not compare to the highly intelligent things that 'litesong' says, but really 'bozo', you are the depraved soul. nature causes the weather, man causes nuclear accidents, if I were you I would devote my time on what is going on in japan in regards to the pacific ocean. all that aside, stay warm my friend. only use warmer approved heat, and pray the first day of winter brings a warming spell.
litesong

Monroe, WA

#41915 Dec 11, 2013
[QUOTE who="ratdownthemiddle ", "middleofthedownwronggull y"].....response from someone who has no response![/QUOTE]

"ratdownthemiddle", "middleofthedownwronggull y", who has no science, chemistry, astronomy, physics, algebra, pre-calc for its poorly (or non-) earned hi skule DEE-plooomaa, & no science & mathematics degrees, has no response to AGW scientists with 10-16 years more training in science & mathematics.

“I Feel”

Level 4

Since: Feb 09

Blest4it!

#41916 Dec 11, 2013
Warmists are idiots. Their brains are fried. Just read the posts and responses from this clownish cabal!
Lol
heavytune

Seattle, WA

#41917 Dec 11, 2013
ritedownthemiddle wrote:
Warmists are idiots. Their brains are fried. Just read the posts and responses from this clownish cabal!
Lol
oh 'rite', don't be so hard on 'litesong' he fell and really hit his head today. no one was there to help him right away so he was just rolling in it. common in his case, by the time his keeper got him back up on the pot, he was no longer hungry and just wanted to play on the computer. you should be happy for the poor thing. stay warm and remember to run a virus check on your computer.
Truth Facts

Chillicothe, OH

#41918 Dec 11, 2013
ritedownthemiddle wrote:
Lol
Aren't warmest the same nutjobs that that wanted to ride the hale bop comet?Well they sure have fattened Al Gore's pockets.All he's doing is laughing at the loons as he's counting his loot.SUCKERS!
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#41919 Dec 11, 2013
No Warming wrote:
<quoted text>
Comparing temps. from Alaska against the lower 48, as if things even out, is absurd to begin with. The real problem, which you've managed to ignore, is that it isn't just the lower 48 states that are below average.
The whole continent of North America is well below average. Here's a few examples from different regions of Canada that show, if you bother to look, temps. steadily 20F or more below average. Worst part is there's no indication of it letting up !
http://www.accuweather.com/en/ca/saskatoon/s7...
http://www.accuweather.com/en/ca/edmonton/t5k...
http://www.accuweather.com/en/ca/yellowknife/...
You're ignoring that out discussion was on higher-than-average temps in Alaska.

What all that is anyway is natural variability, which may be amplified by global warming.

I was answering an idiot denier who thinks that stepping out his door at any latitude proves or disproves AGW. If it's 70* in Nome and -45* in St. Paul, it isn't proof of anything, but it might make us ask questions.
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#41920 Dec 11, 2013
Fun Facts wrote:
<quoted text>
Post #41850
"Maybe you should become an Alaskan hillbilly. It was 19* there today. At the 64th parallel."
http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/nome-ak/9976...
http://www.localconditions.com/weather-nome-a...
And your point is?

Nome is at or about the 64th parallel. Do you or the other fools have a problem with that.

I have seen temperature differences of 50* over 50 miles. You can find freezing and swimming weather in Florida if you look in the right place at the right time.

Weather, fools, is not climate. Climate is, however, weather.
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#41921 Dec 11, 2013
ritedownthemiddle wrote:
<quoted text>typical response from someone who has no response! Thanks, mullet!!
Btw...I thought you said you weren't going to respond to me anymore? What happened? Did you lie, son? Again?
I forgot.

Maybe I won't respond anymore. Maybe I will. I like to keep the fools guessing.
Fun Facts

Las Cruces, NM

#41922 Dec 11, 2013
gcaveman1 wrote:
<quoted text>
And your point is?
Nome is at or about the 64th parallel. Do you or the other fools have a problem with that.
I have seen temperature differences of 50* over 50 miles. You can find freezing and swimming weather in Florida if you look in the right place at the right time.
Weather, fools, is not climate. Climate is, however, weather.
Think you got the point. At least I hope you did, you did, didn't you?

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#41923 Dec 11, 2013
The same repeated crap day in day out from the deniers. The main points of attack are always the same, no Greenie is entitled to be rich. They have to stereotype them as modern day jungle boys. If any of them amount to more than a tree house then they are just not credible. Well "HELLO" in the new world order (using a Bushism here) Greenies will be the rich elite not the fossil fuel barons.

Second favourite point of contention is try and debunk any science on the basis it's just a scam for funding research. Forgetting all other discoveries made by man that improved our quality of life. This one, has thousands of scientists around the world conspiring to defraud us and we should listen to the flat earth people instead.

Since: Mar 09

Wichita, KS

#41924 Dec 12, 2013
heavytune wrote:
<quoted text>oh my 'bozo', you are the one who tends to exude baloney. your theory is wrong and corrupt and has no, nada, none, never ever been proven. who was around a hundred, a thousand, or ten thousand years ago measuring these facts that you base your religion on? who believes 'bozo'? at least limbaugh is a good entertainer who brings up some good points, watts is an excellent researcher who has the one thing warmers like you lack. yes 'bozo', I am talking about common sense. pick some up if you ever get a chance. I know that must be a scary thing for you to think about but it is way better than thinking about the mile or so of ice that used to cover north america. who is throwing science out 'bozo'? I know that history does not compare to the highly intelligent things that 'litesong' says, but really 'bozo', you are the depraved soul. nature causes the weather, man causes nuclear accidents, if I were you I would devote my time on what is going on in japan in regards to the pacific ocean. all that aside, stay warm my friend. only use warmer approved heat, and pray the first day of winter brings a warming spell.
Limpballs is a liar. Watts is a number cruncher, nothing more. Common sense in not too common in the ranks of the deniers. BTW, it is not "my" theory, it is the theory of dedicated climate scientists who do more than mouth platitudes. Is your shift key broken?
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#41925 Dec 12, 2013
Fun Facts wrote:
<quoted text>
Think you got the point. At least I hope you did, you did, didn't you?
And maybe you can find Nome on a map now.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Orlando Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 10 min sonicfilter 1,235,920
CASEY: Does the State Have the Goods to Convict? (Mar '10) 16 min Riverside 498,724
Has anyone ever had a new appliance fail multip... (Mar '12) 2 hr Cheyenne Autumn 11
The alphabet (Jun '06) 3 hr Doug77 1,361
Double Fun Word Game (Mar '11) 5 hr Doug77 12,609
keep a word----drop a word (Feb '11) 6 hr Red_Forman 17,880
Inspiration Lane - Don't Quit (May '09) 7 hr Wiley_Kyote 71,920
More from around the web

Orlando People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]