Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt...

Full story: Newsday 47,501
When Bill Clinton took office in 1993, global warming was a slow-moving environmental problem that was easy to ignore. Full Story
litesong

Monroe, WA

#40743 Oct 22, 2013
motheaten wrote:
It was BLOOMBERG.......
NOT FOX.
Both are highly regarded edge-of-technology science avenues......specially when Bloomberg shows the Dow Jones & Fox shows bikini clad cheerleaders, simultaneously. "motheaten" is excited by both.... like a moth to flames.
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#40744 Oct 22, 2013
I read the comments.

It was the same old denier bullshit I read here all the time.

Stuff written by traitors, who are corporate zombies, who are against the American spirit and against us maintaining our leadership position in the world, who are afraid to venture into the future, and who drag us under with them while they drown in ignorance.
litesong

Monroe, WA

#40745 Oct 22, 2013
motheaten wrote:
.....you're even less coherent.
I'm glad to teach. I'm also glad that you don't understand what could save the re-pubic-lick-un party, as tea party termites hollow out the insides, & toxic topix AGW deniers, who are thrilled by their lack of education.
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#40746 Oct 22, 2013
Speaking of Mr. Gore, "24 Hours Of Reality" starts today at 1PM CDT. The theme this year is "The Cost of Carbon".

For those of us in the know, it may be a rehash of what we already know, but still, you may learn something if you tune in. I could say the same for the deniers here, but I would probably be overly optimistic in doing so.

For any fence-sitters, like the old-school Republican who just joined us, watch it from your fence and then make up your mind.

http://forms.climaterealityproject.org/page/m...
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#40747 Oct 22, 2013
If you are not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
litesong

Monroe, WA

#40748 Oct 22, 2013
gcaveman1 wrote:
"24 Hours Of Reality" starts today at 1PM CDT. The theme this year is "The Cost of Carbon".
gcaveman1........ Thank you! Got the site already to view.
litesong

Monroe, WA

#40750 Oct 22, 2013
motheaten wrote:
Doubling down......
"motheaten" dumbly doubles down its deadly indoctrinated denial of AGW.
litesong

Monroe, WA

#40752 Oct 22, 2013
motheaten wrote:
gibberish
I love the pure & true tones of the LOON!

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#40753 Oct 22, 2013
For the benefit of mothballs who bagged my previous post here is the UN climate chief saying exactly the same thing.

Wildfires are "absolutely" linked to global warming and increasingly intense heatwaves, the UN climate chief has said, as bushfires burned out of control in Australia.

Figueres called for action to address rising greenhouse gas emissions.
"What we have seen are just introductions to the doom and gloom that we could be facing. But that's not the only scenario," she said.
"We could -- as humankind -- we could take vigorous action and we could have a very, very different scenario. That's a scenario that is worth examining.

"We have very little time," she added. "The important thing is that we still have time, although inasmuch as we delay, we are closing the window upon ourselves."

http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/news/afp/1...
Obamacare is great

Los Angeles, CA

#40754 Oct 22, 2013
Global warming is REAL, you fool. Deal with it.
----------
Global warming, in general, will mean higher temperatures. This causes more heat waves - more extreme weather. But it also causes fewer cold waves - less extreme weather. Many more people die from excessive cold than excessive heat, so fewer people will die from cold and heat in the future. By mid-century, researchers estimated in 2006, that means about 1.4 million fewer deaths per year. In the continental United States, heat waves in the past decade exceeded the norm by 10 percent, but the number of cold waves fell 75 percent.
Moreover, global warming will mostly increase temperatures during winter, at night and in cold places, making temperature differences less extreme.
Global warming will also cause more heavy rain; this is clearly more extreme. But warming will also help alleviate water scarcity - less extreme. About 1.2 billion fewer people are expected to live with water scarcity by the end of the century because of increased precipitation.
Drought is expected to increase in some regions while decreasing in others. Overall, the impact will probably be slightly more extreme. Likewise, sea levels will rise, which will mean more flooding of coastal structures - more extreme weather. The total impact is likely to be less than 0.1 percent of global economic output.
Hurricane wind speeds are likely to increase (more extreme), but the number of hurricanes is likely to decrease or hold steady (less extreme). The number of extra-tropical cyclones is likely to decline (less extreme).

“Purple haze all in my brain”

Level 3

Since: May 12

Cherry Hill, NJ

#40755 Oct 22, 2013
Obamacare is great wrote:
----------
Global warming, in general, will mean higher temperatures. This causes more heat waves - more extreme weather. But it also causes fewer cold waves - less extreme weather. Many more people die from excessive cold than excessive heat, so fewer people will die from cold and heat in the future. By mid-century, researchers estimated in 2006, that means about 1.4 million fewer deaths per year. In the continental United States, heat waves in the past decade exceeded the norm by 10 percent, but the number of cold waves fell 75 percent.
Moreover, global warming will mostly increase temperatures during winter, at night and in cold places, making temperature differences less extreme.
Global warming will also cause more heavy rain; this is clearly more extreme. But warming will also help alleviate water scarcity - less extreme. About 1.2 billion fewer people are expected to live with water scarcity by the end of the century because of increased precipitation.
Drought is expected to increase in some regions while decreasing in others. Overall, the impact will probably be slightly more extreme. Likewise, sea levels will rise, which will mean more flooding of coastal structures - more extreme weather. The total impact is likely to be less than 0.1 percent of global economic output.
Hurricane wind speeds are likely to increase (more extreme), but the number of hurricanes is likely to decrease or hold steady (less extreme). The number of extra-tropical cyclones is likely to decline (less extreme).
Do you have Obamacare insurance Mr. weather man?

Since: Mar 09

Wichita, KS

#40758 Oct 22, 2013
litesong wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm glad to teach. I'm also glad that you don't understand what could save the re-pubic-lick-un party, as tea party termites hollow out the insides, & toxic topix AGW deniers, who are thrilled by their lack of education.
Not termites but maggots!
litesong

Monroe, WA

#40759 Oct 22, 2013
motheaten wrote:
Smokey Bear says 9 of 10 wildfires caused by humans. Your report going back 150 years of western forest fires corresponds to US population growth, BUT you say it's global warming.
I say rubbish.
Hey, where's the gibberish?

Another take from the Arbor Day Foundation:
More than 83% of forest fires in 2006 were started by human activities, accounting for the burning of nearly 4.4 million acres. However, lightning-caused fires burned more total area – nearly 5.5 million acres.
//////////
Human caused lightning fires are often due to uncaring & fairly lazy humans who aren't deep in the forest & mountain wilds. Their particular fires are detected sooner, being closer to other humans. Lightning caused forest fires have high percentages, ignited in deep mountain & forest regions, go undetected for a greater time period than human caused fires & thus, much larger when finally engaged by fire fighters.

"motheaten" has known this........ but didn't say anything, except mis-directed gibberish.

......the pure true tones of the LOON.......
litesong

Monroe, WA

#40760 Oct 22, 2013
Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
Not termites but maggots!
I thank you for your correction.
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#40761 Oct 22, 2013
The Quest for Clean Coal continues...

KEMPER COUNTY — Regulators say Mississippi Power Co. needs to submit more evidence that it has spent money prudently on the power plant it’s building in Kemper County.

The state Public Service Commission voted 3-0 yesterday to require more information from Mississippi Power on the $4.75 billion it is spending to build the coal-fueled power plant in eastern Mississippi. The Sierra Club, which opposes the plant, had asked commissioners to reject the spending by the subsidiary of Atlanta-based Southern Co.

Commissioners had planned to put off reviewing spending until the Kemper plant was finished, but agreed in a settlement with Mississippi Power to examine some costs earlier. Yesterday’s action sets the hearing for May 2014. That was supposed to be the month when the plant goes into commercial operation, but the company recently announced it wouldn’t meet that deadline. If the PSC rejects some of the spending as imprudent, it could add to the $1 billion in costs that shareholders have already agreed to absorb.

Tuesday’s order says the commission will assume spending was wise, but said the company must say more about how it managed spending. Regulators also want information on the differences between original cost estimates and current forecasts. The project, including a mine and pipelines, is more than $1.5 billion over budget from original estimates.

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#40763 Oct 23, 2013
Mothra wrote:
<quoted text>
Hmmm... lets see... Smokey Bear says 9 of 10 wildfires caused by humans. Your report going back 150 years of western forest fires corresponds to US population growth, BUT you say it's global warming.
I say rubbish.
Regardless of how the fires start it's the weather that prevents a garden hose putting it out and turning into a catastrophic event.
When the weather turns out conditions that make a simple act of some moron throwing a cigarette butt out the window on the highway into a disaster, global warming contributes to that event. It's all about the frequency, not a growing population. When the frequency increases because conditions are turned out annually even outside the normal summer instead of a once in 10 yr event exactly the same as the hurricanes & floods. The graphs show that clearly
Susan

Fullerton, CA

#40765 Oct 23, 2013
Obamacare is great wrote:
----------
So true. So true.
Jimmyjack100

Leichhardt, Australia

#40766 Oct 23, 2013
Sitting on the other side of the world to most of you guys,thinking the same thoughts and asking myself the same questions. But the only thing that keeps coming to mind is that things are definitely changing here. Forget what politicans or the scientific community want to tell us, I can work it out myself ,things are not right. We need to remove ourselfs from the conventional way of thinking and we need to take control of our own destinies . If we leave it in the hands of the power players they will lead us down a path that only benefits themselves." It's time to make a stand" humanity has to stand up for itself. The masses must make discussions for the masses ,not the self driven minority making the discions for everyone. Make your stand the time has come.

Since: Mar 09

Wichita, KS

#40767 Oct 23, 2013
Susan wrote:
<quoted text>
So true. So true.
Not true. More deaths result from heat waves than any other natural cause.

Los Angeles, CA

#40771 Oct 23, 2013
Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
Not true. More deaths result from heat waves than any other natural cause.
The numbers aren't even close.

Four times more people die from excessive cold weather than die from excessive hot weather according to National Center for Health Statistics Compressed Mortality Database 2005.

People move to hot climates for their health. lol

They retire in Palm Springs, not Alaska.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Orlando Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 50 min Bluestater 1,127,006
Jodi Arias: Does the state have the goods to co... (Mar '13) 3 hr HELL ON EARTH 25,897
CASEY: Does the State Have the Goods to Convict? (Mar '10) 4 hr Sniff my Gloomy D... 488,760
last post wins! (Jul '11) 5 hr Maverick 808 5,284
Missing 5-year-old Florida girl likely was abdu... (Feb '09) 7 hr zazz 96,522
Let's Chat (Jan '12) 8 hr Liz Spector 17,711
5000 post wins (Feb '13) 11 hr Concerned_American 4,181
Orlando Dating
Find my Match

Orlando Jobs

Orlando People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Orlando News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Orlando

Personal Finance