Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt...

Full story: Newsday

When Bill Clinton took office in 1993, global warming was a slow-moving environmental problem that was easy to ignore.
Comments
37,601 - 37,620 of 46,241 Comments Last updated 23 min ago

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 30, 2013

Judged:

ritedownthemiddle wrote:
I think climate change alarmists are here for the political motivation. They don't seem to grasp the scientific theory-observational data connection.
They also seem to promote the anti American UN agenda. In fact, I wonder how many people in that crowd on this forum have honest ISP's?
Here we go, if nothing else to offer the ole "UN commie plot" comes out. Can you enlighten us on who will be the winners and losers in emission regulations. All I can see is Green Tech being the winner and a whole new economy springing from it. The losers well, I guess the fossil fuel industry. But how does that equate to an anti American agenda when all of the most prominent anti American countries are oil producers. Also America's biggest competitors are the highest emitters, so go figure. You think its a UN plot designed to hurt the US. Please give me a break!
gcaveman1

Laurel, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 30, 2013

How could one build a database that had no data in it?

Maybe the plan is to substitute plastic or wood for the data.
LessHypeMoreFact

Toronto, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 30, 2013

OzRitz wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you want the German example instead ? If it wasn't for American Tea Party'rs the US would be far further advanced in recovery from the GFC. They have issues with breathing, let alone running a government. Home grown American Taliban that seems more of an appropriate label than tea party. Which is a lot more destructive than anything the Chinese or anyone else is doing for that matter.
I would agree that the current problem is due to the Republican/Tea Party. The fact is that the House (dominated by the Republicans) as well as the Senate passed the bill. It has already passed the 'test' of getting Congressional approval.

To now hold the country hostage to try to kill it financially is tantamount to a coup. And it certainly indicates that the right wing political scene doesn't understand the concept of Government where votes passed are done and then you move on and do the next thing. And there are a LOT of next things pending.
Mothra

Phoenix, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 30, 2013

Judged:

gcaveman1 wrote:
When the leaders of the scientific movement against climate change travel, it is hoped that their message produces reductions in emissions equal to or greater than the emissions they produce. Therefore, their carbon footprint is the cost of education, and is not considered important.
It is considered important, however, by desperate denialists searching for any excuse to denigrate the efforts of these committed individuals. They see hypocrisy where there is none and accuse supporters of it without proof of what those supporters are doing.
Therefore, this red herring is a big stinking pile of rotted fish that means absolutely nothing.
But a desperate denier will continue to harp on the subject because he has nothing else with which to wage this war to which he is so devoted. He has no argument; he has no science on his side. What else would you expect of desperation?
LOL

Your 'red herring' claim is the red herring. You expect me to 'sniff and follow' your little screed?

Nope.

But do tell us of all those emissions they create and the corresponding offsets.

But I notice, not a peep on the non-science advocates and politicians that say they believe in the crisis, but don't act as if there is one.
LessHypeMoreFact

Toronto, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 30, 2013

gcaveman1 wrote:
When the leaders of the scientific movement against climate change travel, it is hoped that their message produces reductions in emissions equal to or greater than the emissions they produce. Therefore, their carbon footprint is the cost of education, and is not considered important.
In either case, the thing is that reducing the carbon footprint is NOT demanded as a 'return to the cave' and those who demand that the ones fighting for action should live in caves to prove their 'commitment' would not be impressed if they did anyway. More of a 'do as you say, not as I do'... In other words, just an excuse to continue wasting and denying.
Mothra

Phoenix, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 30, 2013

Judged:

OzRitz wrote:
<quoted text>
Here we go, if nothing else to offer the ole "UN commie plot" comes out. Can you enlighten us on who will be the winners and losers in emission regulations. All I can see is Green Tech being the winner and a whole new economy springing from it. The losers well, I guess the fossil fuel industry. But how does that equate to an anti American agenda when all of the most prominent anti American countries are oil producers. Also America's biggest competitors are the highest emitters, so go figure. You think its a UN plot designed to hurt the US. Please give me a break!
The winners today? Al Gore, for one.

The losers? Everyone paying higher prices for energy.
Mothra

Phoenix, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 30, 2013

Judged:

LessHypeMoreFact wrote:
<quoted text>
In either case, the thing is that reducing the carbon footprint is NOT demanded as a 'return to the cave' and those who demand that the ones fighting for action should live in caves to prove their 'commitment' would not be impressed if they did anyway. More of a 'do as you say, not as I do'... In other words, just an excuse to continue wasting and denying.
Actually, it's the most vocal that should be leading by example.

But they're not.

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Mothra

Phoenix, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 30, 2013

Judged:

LessHypeMoreFact wrote:
<quoted text>
I would agree that the current problem is due to the Republican/Tea Party. The fact is that the House (dominated by the Republicans) as well as the Senate passed the bill. It has already passed the 'test' of getting Congressional approval.
To now hold the country hostage to try to kill it financially is tantamount to a coup. And it certainly indicates that the right wing political scene doesn't understand the concept of Government where votes passed are done and then you move on and do the next thing. And there are a LOT of next things pending.
Section 7.

All bills for raising revenue shall originate in the House of Representatives; but the Senate may propose or concur with amendments as on other Bills.

The Senate overstepped their authority by creating a revenue bill.
John Muthukat

Bangalore, India

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 30, 2013

We are now living in an era of dysfunctional leaders and “gesture politics”. Perpetually confronted with catastrophic problems and becoming desperate, for example, by continually finding poison everywhere – in the water we drink, in the air we breathe, in the food we eat, in the environment (for example, increasing global warming, radiation-ridden atmosphere etc.) we live – apart from other pestering problems, we naturally end up with no option other than looking towards our leaders for the immediate relief.
Now let us examine what our leaders, who are supposed to regard politics as a vocation and as a means for building up society for the common good, do today. Today most people wonder as to where have all the leaders gone. There are no leaders with the vision to overcome conflicting self-interests and personal prejudices; leaders who operate from a vision that influences others – either for good or bad. We know that the truly great can shape events that will permanently change the course of history. When we look around where do we see the leaders who can measure up? Where are those leaders whose courage and conviction literally saved a whole people, whose determination changed the course of history?
As things stand today, in a state of fast creeping societal degeneration, most of our politicians don’t see politics as an area of great importance for promoting justice, fairness, humaneness, development and community among all. They see politics as something one can use to gain fame, wealth and power. They see politics as a job for earning a living, allowances of all sorts and other personal material benefits. And for this reason their participation in politics is not propelled by noble values or sentiments.
We have looked into our dysfunctional governing institutions for leadership and directions, without understanding that, in their present form, this is not possible. Their operational premises, and the beliefs of their minions, not recognizing and completely ignorant of the nature of existence, make our institutions the least likely source of direction.
Our institutions have foundation premises born out of ancient ignorance and superstition. Regardless of the progress they make, these systems maintain fundamental ideas that generate misdirection and hold humanity bound and helpless in the throes of institutionalized dementia. Now let us examine the latest development in this respect.
Close on the heels of monumental failure of the much haunted first “Earth Summit” in Rio de Janeiro in 1992 which was attended by over 118 presidents, prime ministers and kings, among other world leaders, celebrated experts and top scientists, the 2010 assemblage of world leaders at Copenhagen for finding immediate solution to the globally frightening global warming miserably failed to deliver a legally binding deal that will begin to reduce the world’s greenhouse gas emissions that are the cause of catastrophic climate change.
“Collapse at Copenhagen”, was how meaningful observers concluded. There’s nothing even close to binding limits on CO2 emissions, the agreement would be toothless and meaningless. The weakest global politics ended amid deep unease about the world’s ability to rise to key 21st century challenges. President Barak Obama’s plan to deal with Brazil, China, India and South Africa failed because none had a plan to deal with humans in their respective nations. Can the world leaders, let alone Obama, get anything done?
Most resort to the risk-free “gesture politics”– an empty pledge given solely for effect, which the politician has no hope of honoring – one could not expect better from these leaders on how they want us to fight climate change. Kyoto was the first step; Copenhagen was supposed to build on it but the reality is that we have yet to start the first.
gcaveman1

Laurel, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 30, 2013

Judged:

Al Gore, the most hated capitalists among capitalists in the nation. Perhaps he would have gotten more respect had he gone into another branch of capitalism, like meth distribution.

We'll all be paying more for fossil fuel energy, as it becomes more scarce.

But alternative energy is getting cheaper all the time, so you don't have to pay more and you don't have to be a loser.

Unless you want to be.
MSgc2

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 30, 2013

Judged:

gcaveman1 wrote:
Only an anti-government tea-party-type denier (who can't tell the difference between two different graphs You're fucked.
Are you recording this? Are you paying attention?
Are you paying attention while I screw your little butthole?
Did you enjoy all this as much as I did?) would blame the government for coastal development.?
You are a sick MF and your poisonous words castrate the messenger of your hateful lies about life giving CO2.

(Translated for the benefit of an MS inbreed: your perverted efforts do more harm than good for your pagan cause)
kristy

Oviedo, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 30, 2013

Judged:

Mothra wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL
Your 'red herring' claim is the red herring. You expect me to 'sniff and follow' your little screed?
Nope.
But do tell us of all those emissions they create and the corresponding offsets.
But I notice, not a peep on the non-science advocates and politicians that say they believe in the crisis, but don't act as if there is one.
If Al Gore truly believed what he is peddling, he would be in the fetal position crying with this meteorologist and staying off all airplanes:

Eric Holthaus, on Friday afternoon tweeted:'No children, happy to go extinct, which in and of itself, carries a certain sadness.#IPCC'

His next tweet said:'Its a very emotional decision. Mixed feelings. adios babies?'

According to another tweet from Holthaus, the Dutch artist known as Tinkebell, who calls attention to animal rights issues through works that use the remains of dead animals, had herself sterilised last week for a similar reason.

Holthaus, who now writes for Quartz, has decided he will also reduce his carbon footprint by giving up on air travel.

‘I just broke down in tears in boarding area at SFO while on phone with my wife. I've never cried because of a science report before.#IPCC,’ was his first tweet on around 2pm on Friday.

‘I realised just now: This has to be the last flight I ever take. I’m committing right now to stop flying. It’s not worth the climate,’ he tweeted a few minutes later.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-24365...
kristy

Oviedo, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 30, 2013

Judged:

MSgc2 wrote:
<quoted text>
You are a sick MF and your poisonous words castrate the messenger of your hateful lies about life giving CO2.
(Translated for the benefit of an MS inbreed: your perverted efforts do more harm than good for your pagan cause)
Thank you for pointing out what a disgusting, sick, perverted pig caveman is.

Since: Mar 09

Wichita, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 30, 2013

Judged:

Mothra wrote:
<quoted text>
Still whinninning!

Since: Mar 09

Wichita, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 30, 2013

Judged:

Mothra wrote:
<quoted text>
Section 7.
All bills for raising revenue shall originate in the House of Representatives; but the Senate may propose or concur with amendments as on other Bills.
The Senate overstepped their authority by creating a revenue bill.
Somebody needs to do it. It is certain that the House doesn't have the intelligence to do it. They are a bunch of whinnnners....
LessHypeMoreFact

Toronto, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 30, 2013

Judged:

Mothra wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, it's the most vocal that should be leading by example.
Not required by any standard. The guy who wanted to go to the moon (you know, Mr. Kennedy) didn't have to built a single ladder. Nor did the guy behind the first farm bill have to run a farm. We are supposed to be intelligent and know how to transfer theory into practice.
Mothra wrote:
<quoted text>
But they're not.
http://www.factcheck.org/2009/06/al-gores-man...
"Kalee Kreider, a spokeswoman for Gore, didn’t dispute the electricity figures published by the AP at the time. But she said that the Gores work from their home and purchase energy from renewable solar, wind and methane gas sources. She argued that by participating in the "green" utility program and investing in renewable energy projects worldwide, the Gores were living a "carbon-neutral lifestyle." "

Buying wind and solar power means that his consumption is not causing AGW. He IS putting his money where his mouth is. The hypocrite here is YOU.
Mothra wrote:
<quoted text>
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Why. Are you afraid they might find you? Or maybe track you down and find out what a nutbar you are?

“Let's X Change!!”

Level 4

Since: Feb 09

B4 HOPE Is Gone...

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 30, 2013

Judged:

OzRitz wrote:
<quoted text>
okay, Ozzie , lets take this one step at a time, alright?????
Just who are the anti American oil nations we buy from that aren't UN members???
I'll wait for your response and then we can move on from there.....okie doke???
Jeff

Beckley, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 30, 2013

Judged:

Mothra wrote:
<quoted text>
The greenies keep saying we are using more green energy that is cleaner and cheaper. Why are we paying more for it?
kristy

Oviedo, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 30, 2013

Judged:

OzRitz wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you want the German example instead ? If it wasn't for American Tea Party'rs the US would be far further advanced in recovery from the GFC. They have issues with breathing, let alone running a government. Home grown American Taliban that seems more of an appropriate label than tea party. Which is a lot more destructive than anything the Chinese or anyone else is doing for that matter.
Awww....Oz still hearts China. Gotta love those Chinese... I mean who doesn't love a government who can shut down parts of the internet, put people in prison for political dissent, and then harass their families and put them under house arrest? But hey as long as they tell us they are cutting CO2 emissions, then China is so awesome!!!! Go China.

In describing China’s recent and increasing harassment of activists’ families, U.S. officials said they raised the examples of imprisoned Nobel Peace Prize winner Liu Xiaobo, whose wife has been under house arrest and whose brother was recently sentenced to prison, and blind lawyer Chen Guangcheng, whose nephew has been imprisoned while other relatives have found their home frequently under attack.

At the meeting in the southern city of Kunming, U.S. officials said, they also brought up several specific cases of well-known dissidents who are believed to be imprisoned by the government, including human rights lawyer Gao Zhisheng and anti-corruption activist Xu Zhiyong. His arrest last month prompted open letters of protest by liberal intellectuals in China.

Other cases specifically discussed were those of Tibetan documentary filmmaker Dhondup Wangchen, government petitioner Ni Yulan, Mongolian dissident Hada and Uighur journalist Gheyret Niyaz.

http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2013-08-02...
Mothra

Phoenix, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 30, 2013

Judged:

Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
Still whinninning!
You really must stop taking posting tips from SpaceBlues.

Oh wait... you're already a clown.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
Orlando Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Orlando Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Orlando People Search