Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt...

Full story: Newsday

When Bill Clinton took office in 1993, global warming was a slow-moving environmental problem that was easy to ignore.
Comments
34,721 - 34,740 of 45,799 Comments Last updated 2 hrs ago
Coal is King

Eddyville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 5, 2013

litesong wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, re-pubic-lick-uns refresh themselves with tea party members directly from a KKK cross burning. Previously, national re-pubic-lick-uns got direction from KKK southern governors.
It is apparent that you failed middle school history. Back in the days of the KKK in the 1920s the South was ruled by Democrats.
CTM

New Fairfield, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 5, 2013

The past several administrations have let energy, oil,coal, natural gas, sun and wind, run them. Whatever could make a ton of money gets preference despite what damage it will do. It's all money. Oil still making 10 billion $$ a quarter, coal still has a lobby so they have to share, natural gas came around after Boone Pickens pushed and bought its' way in. While cheap it is polluting our water table to no end. Sun and wind get virtually free money from the current administration,aka, Solyndra. I believe if there was any honesty and/or transparency to the energy lobby in its entirety we would have OShinskys batteries running truly efficient electric cars, sun and wind would be government owned and regulated to the point of costing about 10% of current costs, and a car that runs on water would be created or just taken out from under wraps. H2O, Helium and Oxygen, two of the most explosive gasses on earth, do you really think the oil biz wants that? This would require politicians and big business to be honest, so this will probably stay a dream for a long time..

Since: Mar 09

Wichita, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 5, 2013

CTM wrote:
The past several administrations have let energy, oil,coal, natural gas, sun and wind, run them. Whatever could make a ton of money gets preference despite what damage it will do. It's all money. Oil still making 10 billion $$ a quarter, coal still has a lobby so they have to share, natural gas came around after Boone Pickens pushed and bought its' way in. While cheap it is polluting our water table to no end. Sun and wind get virtually free money from the current administration,aka, Solyndra. I believe if there was any honesty and/or transparency to the energy lobby in its entirety we would have OShinskys batteries running truly efficient electric cars, sun and wind would be government owned and regulated to the point of costing about 10% of current costs, and a car that runs on water would be created or just taken out from under wraps. H2O, Helium and Oxygen, two of the most explosive gasses on earth, do you really think the oil biz wants that? This would require politicians and big business to be honest, so this will probably stay a dream for a long time..
Much of that may be true, but a car running on water? The physics is just not there. It takes as much (really a little more because of efficiencies) energy to dissociate water into hydrogen and oxygen gas as it will yield on recombining. It is just a pipe dream.

Wichita, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 5, 2013

Judged:

Coal is King wrote:
<quoted text>
It is apparent that you failed middle school history. Back in the days of the KKK in the 1920s the South was ruled by Democrats.
If you recall, the South is Republican today. The same folks who were Democrats back then.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 5, 2013

Judged:

Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
If you recall, the South is Republican today. The same folks who were Democrats back then.
Much has been written about this matter.

Gosh remember Wallace et al. From Wikipedia:

After the signing of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, the old argument that all whites had to stick together to prevent civil rights legislation lost its force. More and more whites began to vote Republican, especially in the suburbs and growing cities. Newcomers from the North were mostly Republican; they were now joined by conservatives and wealthy Southern whites, while liberal whites and poor whites, especially in rural areas, remained with the Democratic Party.[1]

A huge portion of Representatives, Senators, and voters who were referred to as Reagan Democrats in the 1980s were conservative Southern Democrats. An Interesting exception has been Arkansas, whose state legislature has been continued to be majority Democrat (having, however, given its electoral votes to the GOP in the past three Presidential elections, except in 1992 and 1996 when "favorite son" Bill Clinton was the candidate and won each time) until 2012, when Arkansas voters selected a 21-14 Republican majority in the Senate.

“So long to you, Righties”

Since: Jan 12

keep suckin' and whiffin'!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 5, 2013

Judged:

Coal is King wrote:
All of you are still evading the question: What will happen to our economy if we deny ourselves coal, a proven energy source that we have plenty of, and rival countries go on using it to full capacity?
Are you claiming that what the geology textbook, A Student Guide to Energy, and the Encyclopedia of Energy, Natural Resources, and Environmental Economics say about the depletion of natural gas is false?
On the off-chance that's a serious question (one which I haven't seen anyone "evading," incidentally), we obviously can't go from current coal usage to zero in a couple of years. We'll have to phase it out very gradually, in fact, given the amount we use for generating electricity. In fact as we phase out its use, we'll probably continue exporting it for some time afterward.

Natural gas will fill in a lot of the void over the next few decades, but we desperately need renewable resources if we're going to continue. They're going to continue to work on hydrogen fuel cells, for example, which offer a lot of hope for the future.
CTM

New Fairfield, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 5, 2013

Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
Much of that may be true, but a car running on water? The physics is just not there. It takes as much (really a little more because of efficiencies) energy to dissociate water into hydrogen and oxygen gas as it will yield on recombining. It is just a pipe dream.
......Hmm, my thought was to just ignite the gas. But which dream has more of a chance, the car running on water or honest politicians serving the people like in the beginning?
LessHypeMoreFact

Toronto, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 5, 2013

Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
So the solution is to burn more coal in the USA. How will that solve anything? That is like a middle school boy saying, "Everyone else is doing it, why can't I?"
But they are actually shutting down coal power in many areas due to the extreme costs of the pollution generated. tinyurl.com/lbyzxys

Some try to make it an 'us vs them' issue but it is hardly that. Even the southern US where coal used to be king is starting to real from the long term health and economic impacts.

And alternatives such as solar and wind are around 'grid parity' even now so in 2012 more WIND capacity was added than coal.

Wichita, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 5, 2013

CTM wrote:
<quoted text>......Hmm, my thought was to just ignite the gas. But which dream has more of a chance, the car running on water or honest politicians serving the people like in the beginning?
I assume by "burning the gas" you are referring to the hydrogen gas made from the water. That is dumb because it takes as much energy to change water into the gases as it will yield when burning the gas....Definitely the politicians serving the people because a car running on water is just not feasible.
Coal is King

Eddyville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 5, 2013

CTM never said anything about hydrogen. He said, "H2O, Helium and Oxygen, two of the most explosive gasses on earth."

I never took chemistry in high school, but even I know two things:(1) the "H" in H2O does not stand for helium and (2) helium will not burn.

CTM is just the sort of opinionated half-baked enviro-flake that makes people in these parts hate all environmentalists.
gcaveman1

Louin, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 5, 2013

(Reuters)- The world's largest offshore wind farm, which can generate enough electricity for half a million homes, was officially opened off Britain's south-east coast on Thursday.

Prime Minister David Cameron opened the 630-megawatt London Array project, which was developed by E.ON, DONG Energy and Abu Dhabi's Masdar and produced its first electricity from all its turbines in April.

The 1.5 billion pound ($2.3 billion) wind farm, built 20 kilometers offshore, contains 175 turbines and solidifies Britain's position at the top of the world's offshore wind league table.
CTM

New Fairfield, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 5, 2013

Coal is King wrote:
CTM never said anything about hydrogen. He said, "H2O, Helium and Oxygen, two of the most explosive gasses on earth."
I never took chemistry in high school, but even I know two things:(1) the "H" in H2O does not stand for helium and (2) helium will not burn.
CTM is just the sort of opinionated half-baked enviro-flake that makes people in these parts hate all environmentalists.
......No, I'm not, overworked and tired, yes. Thanks for correcting me on the gasses. Hydrogen. There still is possibility there. What are your thoughts on the rest of my post? Seems only money is running the energy show here and there have been successful electric cars scrapped.

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 5, 2013

CTM wrote:
<quoted text>......No, I'm not, overworked and tired, yes. Thanks for correcting me on the gasses. Hydrogen. There still is possibility there. What are your thoughts on the rest of my post? Seems only money is running the energy show here and there have been successful electric cars scrapped.
There is a key point here that I have been trying to get across for years. Things such as gold and oil have value only because we say it has. It's the same with alternative energy if it is to be of high value then it is added into the economic system. But it needs a place alongside other high valued commodities. In our economic system the only way that can accrue value against heavily subsidised fossil energies is to make that competition worthless. It can be done in two ways, with taxes or legislate its use. Anything else in-between is only band-aid approach. Trying to appease too many splinter groups of the fossil fuel industry ends up going backwards. We have seen in Europe where carbon pricing kept creating credits (same as the money printing scheme) which dropped to price far below where it would have impact. This has to change and these systems are only half a$$'d so just look good on paper. It's a global problem so therefore should have a global response.
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 6, 2013

OzRitz wrote:
<quoted text>
There is a key point here that I have been trying to get across for years. Things such as gold and oil have value only because we say it has. It's the same with alternative energy if it is to be of high value then it is added into the economic system. But it needs a place alongside other high valued commodities. In our economic system the only way that can accrue value against heavily subsidised fossil energies is to make that competition worthless. It can be done in two ways, with taxes or legislate its use. Anything else in-between is only band-aid approach. Trying to appease too many splinter groups of the fossil fuel industry ends up going backwards. We have seen in Europe where carbon pricing kept creating credits (same as the money printing scheme) which dropped to price far below where it would have impact. This has to change and these systems are only half a$$'d so just look good on paper. It's a global problem so therefore should have a global response.
Wal-Mart is putting solar collectors on many of its stores.

BMW is using several types of renewables to power its assembly plants.

The US military is exploring solar and wind to cut the costs and change the logistics of troop deployment.

Homeowners are switching to green energy, not because of any philosophical revolution, but simply to save money.

These are the kinds of things that will allow renewable energy to overtake the fossils.

Fossil fuel is on the way out even now.
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 6, 2013

In response to the Fukushima meltdown - which did $50 billion in damage to Japan’s economy - Germany aims to close all its reactors by 2022.

Germany, the world’s most aggressive adopter of renewable energy, is taking a bold leap toward a future free from nuclear energy. In March, the German government announced a program to invest 200 billion euros, or approximately $270 billion, in renewables. That’s 8 percent of the country’s GDP, according to the DIW Economic Institute in Berlin.

Last year, in response to the disaster at the Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Plant, Chancellor Angela Merkel announced a plan to close down all 17 of Germany’s nuclear reactors and replace them with renewable energy, mostly solar and wind power.

-Truthout
JBH

Delta, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 6, 2013

--------
China World Superpower Guaranteed,
Posted in the US Politics Forum
----------
+++++++++=

No country from 2013 onward to any FUTURE TIME, could BE CALLED a Superpower.
THE NEW-AGE PLANET has all diversities, in beliefs VALUES, SYSTEMS, ideologies, philosophies.
The whole world has world regulations, rules, laws, jurisdictions, sovereign boundaries, borders for all countries, whereby all countries must conform and comply.
NO country can be allowed if it is a bigger country to commit racketeering, aggression, hagemony under world ruling.
Thus, the world is getting equal.
As the new world is the direction of equality for all countries based on sovereign boundaries and individual country's laws and Universal law on the planet, THEREFORE, THERE IS no Superpower for any country, including CHINA.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 6, 2013

JBH wrote:
--------
China World Superpower Guaranteed,
Posted in the US Politics Forum
----------
+++++++++=
No country from 2013 onward to any FUTURE TIME, could BE CALLED a Superpower.
THE NEW-AGE PLANET has all diversities, in beliefs VALUES, SYSTEMS, ideologies, philosophies.
The whole world has world regulations, rules, laws, jurisdictions, sovereign boundaries, borders for all countries, whereby all countries must conform and comply.
NO country can be allowed if it is a bigger country to commit racketeering, aggression, hagemony under world ruling.
Thus, the world is getting equal.
As the new world is the direction of equality for all countries based on sovereign boundaries and individual country's laws and Universal law on the planet, THEREFORE, THERE IS no Superpower for any country, including CHINA.
Did you forget UK+?

“EnvironMENTAList ”

Since: Feb 07

Near Detroit

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 6, 2013

Judged:

Prove me wrong:
The scientific consensus always has been that it ONLY “could be” and never has been a consensus that it “will be” an actual crisis.
Never has science said “inevitable” or “eventual” like their comet hits they love to say WILL happen.
"Climate change is real and is happening and COULD lead to unstoppable warming of the planet."
Find us just one single IPCC warning that says it WILL be a crisis and one that isn't swimming in maybe and could be and likely and.....
Science could end this costly debate just by stating their crisis is as real as they love to say comet hits are. This is no crisis and real planet lovers are happy it was a tragic exaggeration.
CTM

New Fairfield, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 6, 2013

Judged:

The biggest source of oil power comes from lobbyists. Lobbyist is just a nice title for bribe-carrier. At 10 billion $$ per quarter profit the oil companies have enough money to bribe and "guide" politics their way. It's also several generations old so corruption runs deep. To give naturals and batterries a fair shot at a "Pepsi Challenge" both Congress and the Senate would have to look at it through clear eyes. Right now there's a lot of money blurring their vision.

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 6, 2013

gcaveman1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Wal-Mart is putting solar collectors on many of its stores.
BMW is using several types of renewables to power its assembly plants.
The US military is exploring solar and wind to cut the costs and change the logistics of troop deployment.
Homeowners are switching to green energy, not because of any philosophical revolution, but simply to save money.
These are the kinds of things that will allow renewable energy to overtake the fossils.
Fossil fuel is on the way out even now.
I agree with you, a third of my street has panels as well including myself. However the car or transport mode is something else. I personally do not know anyone who has an elec vehicle and i am living in a city where it is viable. The car still has a long way to go in terms of alternate fuel source. But i do know lots of ppl who have gone from gas to diesel which has been powering more than half the cars in Europe for years now. Just on economics nothing else. The real die hard deniers will not do anything until it starts to hurt their pocket.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Orlando Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Orlando People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••