Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt...

Full story: Newsday 48,584
When Bill Clinton took office in 1993, global warming was a slow-moving environmental problem that was easy to ignore. Full Story

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#36829 Jul 7, 2013
mememine69 wrote:
Climate Change Believers; How dare you fear monger our children at the grunt of a headline!
If you insist on condemning my kids to what you believe is a coming climate crisis you had better provide for me just one single IPCC warning that says their crisis WILL happen, not just 28 years of science only saying “could” happen and “might” and “likely” happen and…….. They only agreed it was “real and happening” but only agreed it COULD be a crisis and science has NEVER said their crisis was going to be “eventual” or “inevitable” or “unavoidable”.
Who’s the ignorant fear mongering neocon now?
Pull back the curtains, open the window, look outside, it's here! You don't have to wait any longer. What you bagged big Al about for years is everywhere you look these days, north, south, east or west. It just depends how bad you want it before admitting you have screwed up.

“Let's X Change!!”

Level 4

Since: Feb 09

B4 HOPE Is Gone...

#36830 Jul 7, 2013
OzRitz wrote:
<quoted text>
Pull back the curtains, open the window, look outside, it's here! You don't have to wait any longer. What you bagged big Al about for years is everywhere you look these days, north, south, east or west. It just depends how bad you want it before admitting you have screwed up.
Relax, dude, it's called summer.
CTM

Southbury, CT

#36831 Jul 7, 2013
mememine69 wrote:
<quoted text>I smell envy and bitterness.
.......No, that would be disgust and shock. Shock that the politicians here really are selling us down the river for a profit. Starting to think the interest in Africa is so they can buy a small country or two to retire in while the U.S. goes down in flames. A few more wildfires out west and it will be literal.

Since: Mar 09

Wichita, KS

#36832 Jul 7, 2013
ritedownthemiddle wrote:
<quoted text>UPS and Fed Ex have always and will continue to service those with whom they can derive a profit. The USPS continues to provide service at a loss. What is so good an necessary about that?
Try to understand what would have been the result if there never was a postal service, no public highway system, no public infrastructure, no interstate commerce laws, no telephone or power service for rural areas. You have no clue what made this country great.

There are a lot of problems in the postal service. One of which is the internet that has reduced the volume of mail. They must compete with UPS and Fed Ex that are able to deliver the packages only to the customers and not service the daily lives of all businesses and individuals, the cream. Of course they can be more profitable. Their overhead is much less. What would services be like if the UPS and Fed Ex had to deliver mail to everyone six days a week? The USPS has been a reliable and responsible communications service for many decades. Due to modern changes, it must change to meet the conditions but nothing has come along to replace it yet.

Of course, we could live like some third world country where electric power is intermittent and poor, where transportation is by cart, communication is slow and unreliable. You conservative radicals have no clue how things work. Government is our friend.
gcaveman1

Louin, MS

#36833 Jul 7, 2013
mememine69 wrote:
Climate Change Believers; How dare you fear monger our children at the grunt of a headline!
If you insist on condemning my kids to what you believe is a coming climate crisis you had better provide for me just one single IPCC warning that says their crisis WILL happen, not just 28 years of science only saying “could” happen and “might” and “likely” happen and…….. They only agreed it was “real and happening” but only agreed it COULD be a crisis and science has NEVER said their crisis was going to be “eventual” or “inevitable” or “unavoidable”.
Who’s the ignorant fear mongering neocon now?
Let's put this in a different perspective.

It's not inevitable or unavoidable that I am going to kill your kids. But how would you react if I said I could kill your kids; or that I might kill your kids; or that it was likely that I was going to kill you kids? What action would you take? Would you send them off camping with me?

Science is never final. Science always accepts change. Just because IPCC or any other scientist can't give you an hour, a date, or a year when the crisis will start doesn't mean that the threat doesn't exist.

So, shut the fuggup. Your idiot meme is tiresome and pointless.
Coal is King

La Fayette, KY

#36834 Jul 7, 2013
Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
If it wasn't for USPS, UPS and Fed Ex would only service those with whom they could make a profit. Same with power utilities, Cox etc. What enabled our country to expand and grow was REA, USPS and the highway system. Government is good and necessary.
I have to agree with you on this, and add TVA to the list. The USPS, TVA/REA, and the federal and (later) interstate highways, plus aid to the states for building roads, are what made this country great. Government is good when it does good for the people.

I'm don't have faith in this goverment that we have now doing that. After all, Obama just proposed selling the TVA. His reason is to get the TVA's 25 billion debt off the government's books. But the government does not pay the TVA's debt. TVA is self supporting, paid for by the people who buy its electricity.
gcaveman1

Louin, MS

#36835 Jul 7, 2013
ritedownthemiddle wrote:
<quoted text>LOL and it's better to give government the ability to tax everyone based on a theory rather than pay a few extra pennies to FedEx in the summer? LOL
No, idiot, this has nothing to do with the big, bad government.

FedEx gives a rate to ship your stuff. If ONE plane is affected by high heat, they lose money if they have to make a longer takeoff. More fuel, dontcha see? They can't just come back and say they need a few more pennies from you because of that one incident. It's the same on a passenger plane. Then multiply that by a thousand planes and the pennies start to add up.

The next likely even is that you or your package get bumped. That can be merely inconvenient, or, it could cost you money. So multiply that, fool.

The next possibility is that the flight engineer or pilot doesn't calculate the weight exactly right, or one engines fails on takeoff, and guess what? YOU'RE DEAD! That costs lives, sorrow, grief; disrupts hopes and plans. It at least costs the airline one valuable plane.

So, you see, your little "LOL" punctuation shows just what an unthinking idiot you are, and that you can't grasp that the costs are far more than a few pennies.

And, by the way, if you don't think theories are worth a shit, why don't you defy the theory of gravity the next time you go up in an airplane? You know, without a parachute, because it's "just a theory".

“Let's X Change!!”

Level 4

B4 HOPE Is Gone...

#36836 Jul 7, 2013
Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
Try to understand what would have been the result if there never was a postal service, no public highway system, no public infrastructure, no interstate commerce laws, no telephone or power service for rural areas. You have no clue what made this country great.
There are a lot of problems in the postal service. One of which is the internet that has reduced the volume of mail. They must compete with UPS and Fed Ex that are able to deliver the packages only to the customers and not service the daily lives of all businesses and individuals, the cream. Of course they can be more profitable. Their overhead is much less. What would services be like if the UPS and Fed Ex had to deliver mail to everyone six days a week? The USPS has been a reliable and responsible communications service for many decades. Due to modern changes, it must change to meet the conditions but nothing has come along to replace it yet.
Of course, we could live like some third world country where electric power is intermittent and poor, where transportation is by cart, communication is slow and unreliable. You conservative radicals have no clue how things work. Government is our friend.
I believe that I understand and see the goodness in government when and where it applies to "we the people" better than you. Now what empirical evidence do you have that proves governmental co2 sequestration and taxation will provide for the nation.
P.S. no "maybe...could...might... or possible's" please. Global warming is a political boondoggle.

Location hidden

#36837 Jul 7, 2013
ritedownthemiddle wrote:
<quoted text>I believe that I understand and see the goodness in government when and where it applies to "we the people" better than you. Now what empirical evidence do you have that proves governmental co2 sequestration and taxation will provide for the nation.
P.S. no "maybe...could...might... or possible's" please. Global warming is a political boondoggle.
If you were a farmer growing a crop that no one wants any more, would it not be sensible to grow something else. It's exactly the same with fossil fuels once the rest say we don't want it any more there is not much you can do about it. Like health care, rest of the world changed to national health in 70's & 80's even third world countries. Or something as simplistic as the metric system, rest of the world changed in 60's and 70's including Canada. But these changes in the US always happen last, why because of extreme conservatism. The US leads the world in numerous innovations but when fundamental change is required impacting on the individual be it gun control, climate or anything else means being dragged to the table kicking and screaming because of this lack of insight into what benefits the common good. Why did other laws get passed like compulsory selt belts or no smoking, or being frisked at the airports. It's no damn different, it was made for the benefit of all.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#36838 Jul 7, 2013
ritedownthemiddle wrote:
<quoted text>I believe that I understand and see the goodness in government when and where it applies to "we the .. Global warming is a political boondoggle.
WOW.

There's no basis for this!
Coal is King

La Fayette, KY

#36839 Jul 7, 2013
OzRitz wrote:
<quoted text>
If you were a farmer growing a crop that no one wants any more, would it not be sensible to grow something else. It's exactly the same with fossil fuels once the rest say we don't want it any more there is not much you can do about it. Like health care, rest of the world changed to national health in 70's & 80's even third world countries. Or something as simplistic as the metric system, rest of the world changed in 60's and 70's including Canada. But these changes in the US always happen last, why because of extreme conservatism. The US leads the world in numerous innovations but when fundamental change is required impacting on the individual be it gun control, climate or anything else means being dragged to the table kicking and screaming because of this lack of insight into what benefits the common good. Why did other laws get passed like compulsory selt belts or no smoking, or being frisked at the airports. It's no damn different, it was made for the benefit of all.
This is why folks here hate damn liberals. You always want to do things the way foreigners do it. Damn it! This is America! We do things the American way. The rest can go to hell if they don't like it.

As for the world trying to ban fossil fuels, I'd like to see them try to enforce it. How could they? Block our trade? We, the U.S.A. have a Navy that is more powerful than all the other navies in the world combined. Andybody tried to cut off our trade, we could cut off all the world's maritime commerce. And if they don't like that, well we've got a few thousand nuclear weapons too.

Location hidden

#36840 Jul 7, 2013
Coal is King wrote:
<quoted text>
This is why folks here hate damn liberals. You always want to do things the way foreigners do it. Damn it! This is America! We do things the American way. The rest can go to hell if they don't like it.
As for the world trying to ban fossil fuels, I'd like to see them try to enforce it. How could they? Block our trade? We, the U.S.A. have a Navy that is more powerful than all the other navies in the world combined. Andybody tried to cut off our trade, we could cut off all the world's maritime commerce. And if they don't like that, well we've got a few thousand nuclear weapons too.
It's NOTHING to do with how foreigners do it, its about doing what is right! Having the most powerful military in the world means nothing when it comes to modern warfare. Terrorism for instance can send a country broke real fast. Look at Iraq & Afghanistan, Vietnam. It cost trillion$$ and what was achieved ??? Money better spent on security at home. At least Obama has the drone program now to go after bad guys along with elite forces which should have been the approach from the start. So talk blockades and the rest all you like it won't make a scrap of difference. The world needs US consumerism to feed the economic machine, so that won't stop. But don't think for one minute you can dance out of step with the rest. The doomsdays'rs will tell you global warming at its worst will end up with mass population shifts by overwhelming numbers. That's what the US military are training for right now, and whether that ends in blockades or not who knows and it's not about banning fossil fuels, its about phasing them out or coming up with a technology so they can be used but not the status quo.
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#36841 Jul 7, 2013
Coal is King wrote:
<quoted text>
Hate to shock you (not really), but foreigners have done a lot of things before or better than us. We're good, but will we call ourselves supermen?

Might doesn't make right.

What your type doesn't understand is the connectiveness of the world today, and how American Cowboyism doesn't always work. The American way was being so arrogant we sent our boys Hummers with canvas doors.

It's a different world; you need to adapt or die.

“Let's X Change!!”

Level 4

B4 HOPE Is Gone...

#36842 Jul 7, 2013
gcaveman1 wrote:
<quoted text>
No, idiot, this has nothing to do with the big, bad government.
FedEx gives a rate to ship your stuff. If ONE plane is affected by high heat, they lose money if they have to make a longer takeoff. More fuel, dontcha see? They can't just come back and say they need a few more pennies from you because of that one incident. It's the same on a passenger plane. Then multiply that by a thousand planes and the pennies start to add up.
The next likely even is that you or your package get bumped. That can be merely inconvenient, or, it could cost you money. So multiply that, fool.
The next possibility is that the flight engineer or pilot doesn't calculate the weight exactly right, or one engines fails on takeoff, and guess what? YOU'RE DEAD! That costs lives, sorrow, grief; disrupts hopes and plans. It at least costs the airline one valuable plane.
So, you see, your little "LOL" punctuation shows just what an unthinking idiot you are, and that you can't grasp that the costs are far more than a few pennies.
And, by the way, if you don't think theories are worth a shit, why don't you defy the theory of gravity the next time you go up in an airplane? You know, without a parachute, because it's "just a theory".
LOL....watch your temper, Gump. BTW, I believe many theories are worth a shyt. Especially ones that have studies to back them up. Haven't seen one where man made co2 sequestration will do anything to alter climate. Have you?? Didn't think so. You can shut up now.

“Let's X Change!!”

Level 4

B4 HOPE Is Gone...

#36843 Jul 7, 2013
OzRitz wrote:
<quoted text>
has anyone ever told you that you make no sense at all?

“Let's X Change!!”

Level 4

B4 HOPE Is Gone...

#36844 Jul 7, 2013
gcaveman1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Hate to shock you (not really), but foreigners have done a lot of things before or better than us. We're good, but will we call ourselves supermen?
What your type doesn't understand is the connectiveness of the world today, and how American Cowboyism doesn't always work. The American way was being so arrogant we sent our boys Hummers with canvas doors.
Hey, skippy, go ahead and adapt!! LOL....that's your right, son. Some of us will use fossil fuels until there's an actual REAL REASON not to do so.
Come on, son!!! Put your money where your mouth is and get off your laptop!!

Location hidden

#36845 Jul 8, 2013
ritedownthemiddle wrote:
<quoted text>has anyone ever told you that you make no sense at all?
Of course I don't because you are programmed to filter out "sense". It was a comparison analogy showing pig headed ideology vs what benefits the common good.
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#36846 Jul 8, 2013
ritedownthemiddle wrote:
<quoted text>LOL....watch your temper, Gump. BTW, I believe many theories are worth a shyt. Especially ones that have studies to back them up. Haven't seen one where man made co2 sequestration will do anything to alter climate. Have you?? Didn't think so. You can shut up now.
You appear to be taking Braindead's tack, and have his same lack of reasoning ability.

GHG's is causing temperature rise; limit/reduce GHG's and temps will drop.

If you find yourself in a hole, stop digging.
Coal is King

Kuttawa, KY

#36847 Jul 8, 2013
gcaveman1 wrote:
<quoted text>
No. It is not a different world. It is that Americans have lost the guts to be a Great Power.

Cloth doors on Hummers would be just fine if our boys weren't sent into places like Afghanistan and Iraq in them. Obama's piddling around with drone strikes on individual terrorists won't get the job done either. All that does is make the natives mad and creates a dozen new terrorists for every existing one an American missile kills.

President Bush should never have sent troops into Afghanistan and Iraq after the 9-11 attack. He should have told the Taliban regime in Afghanistan, "The people who did this are in your country. Here is the list. Hand them over to us within 24 hours..., or your country will be subjected to a rain of destruction from the sky such as has not been seen on this earth since God rained down fire and brimstone on Sodom and Gomorrah." And when they refused, he should have dropped that rain of fire on them.

Since: Mar 09

Wichita, KS

#36848 Jul 8, 2013
Coal is King wrote:
<quoted text>
No. It is not a different world. It is that Americans have lost the guts to be a Great Power.
Cloth doors on Hummers would be just fine if our boys weren't sent into places like Afghanistan and Iraq in them. Obama's piddling around with drone strikes on individual terrorists won't get the job done either. All that does is make the natives mad and creates a dozen new terrorists for every existing one an American missile kills.
President Bush should never have sent troops into Afghanistan and Iraq after the 9-11 attack. He should have told the Taliban regime in Afghanistan, "The people who did this are in your country. Here is the list. Hand them over to us within 24 hours..., or your country will be subjected to a rain of destruction from the sky such as has not been seen on this earth since God rained down fire and brimstone on Sodom and Gomorrah." And when they refused, he should have dropped that rain of fire on them.
Some folks are proud to be redneck. "Kill 'em all and let God sort 'em out." I am glad that there are enough liberals to squash the likes of you.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Orlando Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 hr John Galt 1,144,008
Expanded health coverage merits push from leaders 4 hr MARGE 1
Busted 6 hr Why me 1
5000 post wins (Feb '13) 6 hr CJ Rocker 4,298
Double Fun Word Game (Mar '11) 6 hr CJ Rocker 12,030
New Game ***Last Word + 2 (Oct '11) 7 hr Princess Hey 11,995
One Word (Jul '10) 7 hr Princess Hey 1,913
CASEY: Does the State Have the Goods to Convict? (Mar '10) 9 hr Riverside 489,657
Orlando Dating
Find my Match

Orlando People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Orlando News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Orlando

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 7:01 am PST

NBC Sports 7:01AM
Doug Martin says he's the same player he was in 2012