Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt...

Full story: Newsday

When Bill Clinton took office in 1993, global warming was a slow-moving environmental problem that was easy to ignore.
Comments
34,541 - 34,560 of 46,359 Comments Last updated 3 hrs ago

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#36627 Jun 22, 2013
Will Climate Change Destroy New York City?

The city of New York — America's largest metropolis and home to over 8 million people — will be ravaged by the effects of climate change within a few years.

That's the bleak scenario presented by a recent 430-page report developed by a blue-ribbon panel of academics, environmental planners and government officials.

http://news.yahoo.com/climate-change-destroy-...

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#36629 Jun 22, 2013
EU must switch flood tactics to cope in climate change era

While climate change negotiators at the Maritim Hotel in Bonn have been locked in a stalemate over the past week, the Rhine has raced by, inches from breaking its banks.

Swollen rivers are causing havoc from Austria to Hungary with Germany and the Czech Republic hit particularly hard. Hungarian Prime Minister Viktor Orban said the country was facing “the worst floods of all time”.

http://www.preventionweb.net/english/professi...
Dont drink the koolaid

Minneapolis, MN

#36630 Jun 22, 2013
OzRitz wrote:
Will Climate Change Destroy New York City?
The city of New York — America's largest metropolis and home to over 8 million people — will be ravaged by the effects of climate change within a few years.
That's the bleak scenario presented by a recent 430-page report developed by a blue-ribbon panel of academics, environmental planners and government officials.
A criminal waste to kill a tree so this "blueribbon" report could live.

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#36631 Jun 22, 2013
Dont drink the koolaid wrote:
<quoted text>
A criminal waste to kill a tree so this "blueribbon" report could live.
Yes, move along folks nothing to see here. It's just one big illusion that is creeping up year by year and it's not happening as long as we keep denying.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/23/world/asia/...

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#36632 Jun 22, 2013
From National Geographic:
Weather disasters are like heart attacks, says Jay Gulledge.“When your doctor advises you about how to avoid a heart attack, he doesn’t say, Well, you need to exercise, but it’s OK to keep smoking,” he says. The smart approach to extreme weather is to attack all the risk factors, by designing crops that can survive drought, buildings that can resist floods and high winds, policies that discourage people from building in dangerous places—and of course, by cutting greenhouse gas emissions.

“We know that warming of the Earth’s surface is putting more moisture in the atmosphere. We’ve measured it. The satellites see it,” Gulledge says. So the chances for extreme weather are going nowhere but up.

Article a year old but still relevant

http://news.nationalgeographic.com.au/news/20...
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#36633 Jun 22, 2013
Dont drink the koolaid wrote:
<quoted text>
A criminal waste to kill a tree so this "blueribbon" report could live.
You're not crazy; everyone else is, right?
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#36634 Jun 22, 2013
Let me get hypothetical; let me venture briefly (very briefly), into the mind of a true believer denier.

Are these ice statistics doctored? That would require a batch of co-conspirators at least a hundred strong.

The satellite images, have they been altered? Add a few hundred more conspirators.

Obviously the people on the ground are in on it. That's just a few hundred more. They're taking pictures of stuff that's been happening for millennia, and calling it global warming.

So then, there's this global conspiracy, involving only the amount and
depth of the North Polar ice (not CO2 levels or sea level rise or animal migration or etc.), involving conservatively, 1000 people.
And these are cold, hard, inhuman scientists, with no whistleblowers or turncoats among them, none of them with an ounce of integrity or conscience, risking their hard-earned credentials and continuing reputation for....what? World domination? More grant money?

Spell out your denial and let us judge if there is anything to it. All we can see are the fuzzy details above. Give us the who, what, when, why, where, and how of this threat to freedom and low taxes.

Your conspiracy explanation should be at least as complicated as the actual climate change science, and will be tested for logic as well.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Level 10

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#36636 Jun 22, 2013
tha Professor wrote:
A strawman, since no one's saying that human exhalation is a major cause of warming or that it should be 'regulated' in some way, as the previous poster suggested. Nice to see you trying to make a distinction between strawmen and biology though, Brainless, FWIW...:)
Of course nobody suggests regulating human metabolism; it's just that the same gas you want to regulate happens to be the gas we exhale. We'll just have to trust you that carbon dioxide regulation won't got too far. Like we trust the NSA and IRS...

Level 1

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#36637 Jun 22, 2013
Don't worry folks. This is the terminal generation. God will soon introduce Himself to all unbelievers.
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#36638 Jun 23, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>Of course nobody suggests regulating human metabolism; it's just that the same gas you want to regulate happens to be the gas we exhale. We'll just have to trust you that carbon dioxide regulation won't got too far. Like we trust the NSA and IRS...
All you have to worry about is a tax on lies.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Level 10

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#36639 Jun 23, 2013
I oppose taxes and restrictions on CO2 emissions or bags given to customers so they might take their purchases home. This is where we differ.
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#36640 Jun 23, 2013
UXBRIDGE, Canada, Jun 13 2013 (IPS)- Emerging economies such as Mexico and India are shifting energy investments into renewable resources while industrialised countries hesitate, noted two new United Nations reports released Wednesday in Nairobi, Kenya.

“There is a structural change in the global energy sector underway,” said Ulf Moslener, head of research of the Frankfurt School in Germany.

“Costs are dropping radically. Renewables represented 6.5 percent of all electricity generated and reduced carbon emissions by 1 billion tonnes in 2012,” said Moslener, co-author of Global Trends in Renewable Energy Investment 2013, a report sponsored by the U.N. Environment Programme (UNEP).

Developing countries are finding installing green energy to be far less expensive than relying on fossil fuels, Moslener told IPS. Poorer countries want to reap the benefits of stable energy costs, new jobs, improved air quality and reduced health and climate damage.

<><><>< ><><><> <><><>

America gives up a leadership role in this area. We'll be playing catch-up when fossil fuel use is passe'.

This makes denier=traitor.
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#36641 Jun 23, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
I oppose taxes and restrictions on CO2 emissions or bags given to customers so they might take their purchases home. This is where we differ.
The only thing you oppose is the truth. This is where we differ.
litesong

Lynnwood, WA

#36642 Jun 23, 2013
gcaveman1 wrote:
The only thing you('lyin' brian) oppose is the truth. This is where we differ.
"gcaveman1" is almost true.'lyin' brian' did oppose the worst slimy steenking filthy vile reprobate rooting(& rotting) racist pukey proud pig & proud threatener bob burns in one post & one post only. However,'lyin' brian' has used slimy steenking filthy vile reprobate rooting(& rotting) racist pukey proud pigisms or alleged or proud threats, himself.

I will testify such in a court of law.
Retired Farmer

Marion, KY

#36643 Jun 23, 2013
An interesting article from Britain about the American Christian fundamentalist "End Timers" take on Global Warming.

http://www.ukprogressive.co.uk/end-times-scri...
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#36644 Jun 23, 2013
Retired Farmer wrote:
An interesting article from Britain about the American Christian fundamentalist "End Timers" take on Global Warming.
http://www.ukprogressive.co.uk/end-times-scri...
The Civil War was so terrible that people then were sure that they were living in the end times. There've been a few false alarms before. I don't think this is one.

My uncertainty is definitely present as well. Depending on sensitivity and the speed at which species can adapt, I'm torn between not worrying a whole lot and going into a full-blown alarmist Paul Revere mode. The debate is over as to whether it is happening or if man is causing it, but the possible dire effects still remain pretty nebulous. It's possible that what is called alarmist by some on this board will turn out to be as near complacent as any denier here.

IOW, I see it getting bad, but I don't know how bad. And my perspective is admittedly Mississippian and American.
Retired Farmer

Marion, KY

#36645 Jun 23, 2013
gcaveman1 wrote:
<quoted text>
The Civil War was so terrible that people then were sure that they were living in the end times. There've been a few false alarms before. I don't think this is one.
My uncertainty is definitely present as well. Depending on sensitivity and the speed at which species can adapt, I'm torn between not worrying a whole lot and going into a full-blown alarmist Paul Revere mode. The debate is over as to whether it is happening or if man is causing it, but the possible dire effects still remain pretty nebulous. It's possible that what is called alarmist by some on this board will turn out to be as near complacent as any denier here.
IOW, I see it getting bad, but I don't know how bad. And my perspective is admittedly Mississippian and American.
Point is not that some fundamentalists think that Global Warming is one of the plagues of the Apocalypse while others think that it is impossible because of a verse in the Old Testament that promises that there will always be a season to plant and a season to harvest. Problem is that Global Warming, like economics, has gotten intertwined with people's religious beliefs.

As a result, preachers, and as a Southerner you know how much influence preachers have in the Bible Belt, are telling their congregations, "If you believe in Global Warming, then you are not a Christian" or, alternatively, if they are in the minority who believe that Global Warming is one of the plagues, "If you think humans can or should do anything about Global Warming, then you are working against the will of God." Either way, it serves to mobilize political Christianity behind efforts to prevent the U.S. taking the lead to deal with the problem, be it by mitigation or long term plan and preparations to adapt to climate change.

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#36646 Jun 23, 2013
What I can't understand how did the global warming argument get tied into left and right politics. I have seen some posters from the right in politics who agree with the man made warming concept but get attacked from the right for even mentioning it.
It became tied to economics rather than a real crisis and was left ignored following the GFC in 2008. Once China steps it's toe in the water the rest of the world will be playing catch up and it should never had happened that way. Better to lead from the front than play catch up later. That will have the best economic benefit.
The whole point that is lost on the denier crowd is alternative energy could be the break through new gold mine in the backyard. Those who lead will reap the most benefit.

Since: Mar 09

Wichita, KS

#36647 Jun 23, 2013
OzRitz wrote:
What I can't understand how did the global warming argument get tied into left and right politics. I have seen some posters from the right in politics who agree with the man made warming concept but get attacked from the right for even mentioning it.
It became tied to economics rather than a real crisis and was left ignored following the GFC in 2008. Once China steps it's toe in the water the rest of the world will be playing catch up and it should never had happened that way. Better to lead from the front than play catch up later. That will have the best economic benefit.
The whole point that is lost on the denier crowd is alternative energy could be the break through new gold mine in the backyard. Those who lead will reap the most benefit.
I have often wondered how this happened. The whole environmental movement has polarized along political lines. I suppose that since the politics were essentially the same for both parties, it was necessary to invent some divisive movement. Since the Republican party has nothing progressive to offer, it must find fault with the opposition. If you have noticed the campaigning in the past couple of decades by the Republicans has been almost all hot button and negative. They have successfully melded this into a platform of division and even hate that has worked for them for a time. To accomplish this, they found they had to demonize, or at least discredit, scientific findings and in turn promote prejudices and radical religious dogma.

The House of Representatives is largely dysfunctional because of the position of the extremist conservative members. The populous is very dissatisfied with what is happening as seen is the approval ratings and we will see a movement away from the extremist.(My opinion) As this disintegrates, we will see a move away from denying science and an embracing of alternate energy forms. The only reason they have been able to take things this far is the fact that the public is largely ignorant of how science works, but as the public becomes more informed and educated in the scientific methodology, it will become more supportive of the findings.

Retired Farmer

Marion, KY

#36648 Jun 23, 2013
OzRitz wrote:
What I can't understand how did the global warming argument get tied into left and right politics. I have seen some posters from the right in politics who agree with the man made warming concept but get attacked from the right for even mentioning it.
It is a monstrosity born of the inter-species marriage between the Libertarians and the Christian Right. The Libertarians compromiesd (at least temporarily) their ideas about individual liberty and adopted the Christian Right's "moral" issues in return for the Christian Right adopting Libertarians' Social Darwinist economic philospohy. Issues dear to each side were bundled into a package. Wealthy Libertarians whose fortunes are based in the coal and oil industries stuffed their opposition to any effort to move away from coal and oil into the bargain. It then became part of the Christian Right's religious obligation to uphold those ideas. Because the package is endowed with a religious quality, rejecting any part of the package is equated with rejecting all of it.

The Democrats did the same thing, but with their package containing the antithesis of what is in the Libertarian - Christian Right Republican package. Their package also does not have the religious element that the Republican package does, so individuals have a lot more freedom to pick and choose on issues; for this, against that.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Orlando Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min sonicfilter 1,101,053
Let's Chat (Jan '12) 48 min Jane 17,646
Inspiration Lane - Don't Quit (May '09) 52 min Murph 70,459
5000 post wins (Feb '13) 1 hr Princess Hey 4,166
Privilege Waived - Part II . . . Remember Me? 2 hr Lon Spector 33
Casey Anthony maintains baby sitter was not fab... (Feb '14) 2 hr bunner 257
What life is like for Casey Anthony 3 hr Lon Spector 196
CASEY: Does the State Have the Goods to Convict? (Mar '10) 3 hr LizW 486,663
•••
•••
•••

Orlando Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Orlando People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Orlando News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Orlando
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••