Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt...

Full story: Newsday 48,583
When Bill Clinton took office in 1993, global warming was a slow-moving environmental problem that was easy to ignore. Full Story
No Warming

Waverly, OH

#36485 Jun 14, 2013
Retired Farmer wrote:
Antarctic ice melting at highest rate in past 1,000 years:
http://www.voanews.com/content/warm-ocean-acc...
Here is the NASA version of the story, you'll notice the reference to 1000 years is left out. If you look at your link you will also notice the study has not been through the all important peer review.

http://www.nasa.gov/topics/earth/features/ear...
No Warming

Waverly, OH

#36486 Jun 14, 2013
Retired Farmer wrote:
Antarctic ice melting at highest rate in past 1,000 years:
http://www.voanews.com/content/warm-ocean-acc...
Here is a study that has been peer reviewed and says the Antarctic is expanding.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/gr...

http://arctic.atmos.uiuc.edu/cryosphere/IMAGE...
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#36487 Jun 15, 2013
No Warming wrote:
<quoted text>
Here is a study that has been peer reviewed and says the Antarctic is expanding.
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/gr...
http://arctic.atmos.uiuc.edu/cryosphere/IMAGE...
Please show us where it says "the Antarctic is expanding."
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#36488 Jun 15, 2013
No Warming wrote:
<quoted text>
Here is the NASA version of the story, you'll notice the reference to 1000 years is left out. If you look at your link you will also notice the study has not been through the all important peer review.
http://www.nasa.gov/topics/earth/features/ear...
Why do you do this instead of telling the truth?

http://www.sciencemag.org/content/early/2013/...

gives you the peer reviewed paper.

Not only you don't understand the scientific publications but also you choose to deceive the readers by lies and misrepresentations.

Shame on you, no warning.

“EnvironMENTAList ”

Since: Feb 07

Near Detroit

#36489 Jun 15, 2013
SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>See my comment above.
How close to the point of no return from unstoppable warming will your scientists take us before they say their crisis is unavoidable, inevitable, imminent and WILL happen. They have NEVERS said it. Answer the question Doomer!
sinic

Kerrville, TX

#36490 Jun 15, 2013
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#36491 Jun 15, 2013
mememine69 wrote:
<quoted text>
How close to the point of no return from unstoppable warming will your scientists take us before they say their crisis is unavoidable, inevitable, imminent and WILL happen. They have NEVERS said it. Answer the question Doomer!
Hey, see the post above for a link to answer you.

When are you going to change your song?
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#36492 Jun 15, 2013
The oceans of the past were quite different than the ones we see today. Ocean temperatures are increasing due to global warming, and these increases are harming marine food webs. Coastal dead zones are also being created by the run-off from fertilizers.

An international team of researchers, led by McGill University, has completed the first global study of changes that occurred during the nitrogen cycle at the end of the last ice age. The nitrogen cycle was a crucial component of ocean chemistry. The findings of this study, published in Nature Geoscience, confirm oceans are good at balancing the nitrogen cycle on a global scale. However, the results also show this balancing act is a slow process that may take centuries, or even millennia. This raises worries about the effects of the scale and speed of changes in the ocean.

“For the first time we can quantify how oceans responded to slow, natural climate warming as the world emerged from the last ice age,” says Prof. Eric Galbraith from McGill University’s Department of Earth and Oceanic Sciences.”And what is clear is that there is a strong climate sensitivity in the ocean nitrogen cycle.”

The researchers say the nitrogen cycle is an essential component of the global metabolism, comparable to the proteins that are essential to human health. The nitrogen in the ocean is kept in balance by marine bacteria through a complicated cycle that keeps the ocean healthy, much like proteins are carried by the blood and circulate through the body. Microscopic organisms at the base of the marine food chain, called phytoplankton, fix nitrogen in the shallow, sunlit waters of the ocean. As the phytoplankton die and sink, nitrogen is eliminated in dark, oxygen-poor pockets of the deep oceans, in a process called dentrification.

The research team gathered sediment from the ocean floor in different areas of the world. The samples were used to confirm that as the ice sheets started melting and the climate warmed up at the end of the last ice age – 18,000 years ago – the marine nitrogen cycle started to accelerate. By about 8,000 years ago, the ocean had stabilized itself in a new, warmer state, in which the overall nitrogen cycle was running faster. The team isn’t sure how long it will take for marine ecosystems to adapt given the dramatic rate of change in the current ocean nitrogen cycle.

“We are changing the planet in ways we are not even aware of,” says Galbraith.“You wouldn’t think that putting carbon dioxide into the atmosphere would change the amount of nitrogen available to fish in the ocean, but it clearly does. It is important to realize just how interconnected everything is.”

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#36493 Jun 15, 2013
The world is still on course for an international agreement to tackle global warming in 2015 despite days of bickering in Bonn over how decisions are made under the UN Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC).

A fever-stricken Ms Figueres told the final UNFCCC press conference she was particularly encouraged that governments represented in Bonn were increasingly focusing on the need to become more ambitious for the 2015 global climate change agreement.
"The record greenhouse gas concentrations we now see in the atmosphere are due to past investment patterns and the policies and profit motives behind them. To prevent our atmosphere turning permanently against us requires a continued, faster shift.”

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/global-w...
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#36494 Jun 15, 2013
See photograph, taken from the International Space Station, shows a recent bloom in the Black Sea’s eastern half.

http://www.redorbit.com/images/pic/77621/eart...
LessHypeMoreFact

Toronto, Canada

#36495 Jun 15, 2013
Sandy wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, CO2 is pollution and unnecessary for life on Earth...
Strawman and non-sequitur. I.e. That was never stated. The issue is the difference between the amount that is necessary for plants (not that much) and the increasing amounts that are changing the thermal balance and warming the surface.
Sandy wrote:
<quoted text>
Can anyone define the following example of irrational reasoning used to debate a point of argument?
If you are going to use 'responsibility' and 'man made' you first have to understand the definition of the terms. I don't speak gibberish even as a second language.
Sandy wrote:
<quoted text>
"You might try some of that science, but first.."
Yes. first you have to educate yourself and start using language as a communication medium, not demagoguery.

“Let's X Change!!”

Level 4

Since: Feb 09

B4 HOPE Is Gone...

#36496 Jun 15, 2013
Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
You really are a waste of time....
yeah....being fed boring facts can seem that way.

thanks for playing.

i'll take this post as your concession.
Dont drink the koolaid

Minneapolis, MN

#36498 Jun 15, 2013
litesong wrote:
<quoted text>
Well.......... that explains..........
The recently collapsed Wilkens Ice Shelf was estimated 10,000 years old.
The recently collapsed Larsen B Ice Shelf was estimated 12.000 years old.
Might as well throw this into the mix also:
In the Arctic the recently collapsed Ellesmere Island Ward Hunt Ice Shelf was estimated 4500 years old.
... And that explains the alarming sea level rise... Oh wait er, never mind.

“Let's X Change!!”

Level 4

B4 HOPE Is Gone...

#36499 Jun 15, 2013
warmies are stooopitzzzz.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Level 10

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#36500 Jun 15, 2013
Climate change mitigation by controlling man made CO2 emissions is superstition, pseudoscience. Advocating man made catastrophic climate change because of our carbon dioxide production is pseudoscience. Look at the experimental science.

Since: Mar 09

Wichita, KS

#36501 Jun 16, 2013
ritedownthemiddle wrote:
<quoted text>yeah....being fed boring facts can seem that way.
thanks for playing.
i'll take this post as your concession.
I concede to your total lack of reality. A total waste of time.

“Let's X Change!!”

Level 4

B4 HOPE Is Gone...

#36502 Jun 16, 2013
Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
I concede to your total lack of reality. A total waste of time.
lol....apparently you're the one out of touch with reality, son, but i won't waste your time explaining why and how.
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#36504 Jun 16, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
Climate change mitigation by controlling man made CO2 emissions is superstition, pseudoscience. Advocating man made catastrophic climate change because of our carbon dioxide production is pseudoscience. Look at the experimental science.
Bullshit, you liar. You've already said mitigation works.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Level 10

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#36505 Jun 16, 2013
gcaveman1 wrote:
Bullshit, you liar. You've already said mitigation works.
No, I've said without experimental tests we'd never know if mitigation can work, how much it would cost or if it would cause more harm than good.

Please try to keep up. Gcaveman1 might be reacting to a post I've made many times, that if AGW theory is correct then we are already mitigating climate change against catastrophic global cooling, the ice age climate change scenario. Even Gcaveman[the original] understood that was based on an assumption, not reality.
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#36506 Jun 16, 2013
BONN, Germany (AP)— From Bangkok to Miami, cities and coastal areas across the globe are already building or planning defenses to protect millions of people and key infrastructure from more powerful storm surges and other effects of global warming.

Some are planning cities that will simply adapt to more water.

But climate-proofing a city or coastline is expensive, as shown by New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg's $20 billion plan to build floodwalls, levees and other defenses against rising seas.

The most vulnerable places are those with the fewest resources to build such defenses, secure their water supplies or move people to higher ground. How to pay for such measures is a burning issue in U.N. climate talks, which just wrapped up a session in the German city of Bonn.

A sampling of cities (and countries)around the world (that are preparing) for the climatic forces that scientists say are being unleashed by global warming:

Rotterdam
Venice
London
New York City
Bangkok
Maldives
Cuba
Bangladesh
Kenya

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Orlando Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 hr John Galt 1,144,008
Expanded health coverage merits push from leaders 2 hr MARGE 1
Busted 5 hr Why me 1
5000 post wins (Feb '13) 5 hr CJ Rocker 4,298
Double Fun Word Game (Mar '11) 5 hr CJ Rocker 12,030
New Game ***Last Word + 2 (Oct '11) 6 hr Princess Hey 11,995
One Word (Jul '10) 6 hr Princess Hey 1,913
CASEY: Does the State Have the Goods to Convict? (Mar '10) 8 hr Riverside 489,657
Orlando Dating
Find my Match

Orlando People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Orlando News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Orlando

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 7:01 am PST

NBC Sports 7:01AM
Doug Martin says he's the same player he was in 2012