Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt...

Full story: Newsday 49,376
When Bill Clinton took office in 1993, global warming was a slow-moving environmental problem that was easy to ignore. Full Story

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#35895 May 16, 2013
LessHypeMoreFact wrote:
<quoted text>
It would require licensing lobbyists and keeping their numbers to a rational level. The 'open season' on politicians to bribes from industry funded lobby groups is the MAIN problem in US politics. Most others stem from that 'corporate influence'.
"Fascism should more properly be called corporatism because it is the merger of state and corporate power." - Benito Mussolini
I agree, but unfortunately in the USA the wheels of change turn slowly. I don't know if that is a left over from the civil war or what but there is still some deep divisions politically and the country only unifies quickly when under attack. But to give an example, I assume your Canadian right and when the rest of the world went metric it was fairly easy to implement in Canada and everywhere else. Same as universal health care when the world adopted that. It is much much harder to do those things in the US, every change like that is seen in some twisted way an attack on personal freedoms and that is very much entrenched in culture. Its the same with Climate control measures & gun control these are huge mountains to climb for the US where as a country like Japan or Germany or any Scandinavian country or China could implement any of it in a heartbeat. That is the huge difference. Countries like Italy, Greece etc now have also evolved into one that is a less disciplined culture and are paying the price for that as well. If any country develops a culture of tax avoidance then they will ultimately fail no matter what they produce.
LessHypeMoreFact

Toronto, Canada

#35896 May 16, 2013
OzRitz wrote:
<quoted text>
What I was pointing out that under a communist regime innovation does not come easy.
What I pointed out is that this is crap.
OzRitz wrote:
<quoted text>
Because they are taught from birth not to think outside the box.
And I also pointed out that the same can be said for the US.
OzRitz wrote:
<quoted text>
That is where the West or US has the edge because free thinking inspires innovation. So as a result they built a business on copying other peoples ideas for most of the later part of this century.
You hold on to your faulty characterizations. They give you comfort no matter how untrue they are.
LessHypeMoreFact

Toronto, Canada

#35897 May 16, 2013
OzRitz wrote:
<quoted text>
It is much much harder to do those things in the US, every change like that is seen in some twisted way an attack on personal freedoms and that is very much entrenched in culture.
yes. A very good example of people who fight change and think within a VERY small box. But you don't want to ADMIT this, even as you demonstrate it and even comment on it.

If anything, you should take off the blinder (i.e the beam in your eye..)

Location hidden

#35898 May 16, 2013
LessHypeMoreFact wrote:
<quoted text>
yes. A very good example of people who fight change and think within a VERY small box. But you don't want to ADMIT this, even as you demonstrate it and even comment on it.
If anything, you should take off the blinder (i.e the beam in your eye..)
Hang where does the innovation come from, it sure doesn't come from the bible belt, it comes from the East and West coast of the US. Obviously that comes from a culture of free thinking, Jobs & Gates did not come from the Bible belt. Einstein, Edison drifted to the east or west coast. Industrialists like Ford etc take a different path where the idea is to make money. It is the mix of the two that made America great. However politically the two are like oil and water.
Teddy R

Mclean, VA

#35899 May 16, 2013
LessHypeMoreFact wrote:
<quoted text>
What I pointed out is that this is crap.
<quoted text>
And your evidence for this curious assertion?
LessHypeMoreFact wrote:
And I also pointed out that the same can be said for the US.
<quoted text>
And your evidence for this curious assertion?
LessHypeMoreFact wrote:
You hold on to your faulty characterizations. They give you comfort no matter how untrue they are.
Only faulty when proven to be - by authoritative evidence.

You have offered none - just the usual romantic leftist claptrap from someone who obviously has zero personal first-hand experience with life inside a closed authoritarian communist state.

Just sayin', is all.
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#35900 May 16, 2013
Lotta good shit here lately. I gotta take some time to catch up with yall but I been real busy lately. Gotta pay the piper, ya know... .
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#35901 May 16, 2013
LessHypeMoreFact wrote:
<quoted text>
It would require licensing lobbyists and keeping their numbers to a rational level. The 'open season' on politicians to bribes from industry funded lobby groups is the MAIN problem in US politics. Most others stem from that 'corporate influence'.
"Fascism should more properly be called corporatism because it is the merger of state and corporate power." - Benito Mussolini
See.
http://www.rense.com/general37/fascism.htm
1:Powerful and Continuing Nationalism
--- check
2:Disdain for the Recognition of Human Rights
--- see Guantanamo and Habeus Corpus being struck down.
3:Id of Enemies/Scapegoats as a Unifying Cause
--- Currently Arabs/Islam, Was communism and some still
... stick to their old favorites.
4:Supremacy of the Military:
--- check, More military spending and focus than the rest
... of the world
5:Rampant Sexism
--- pass on this. Some truth but ambiguous.
6:Controlled Mass Media
--- check. The media reports the government 'pravda'. It
... essentially never reports the facts as seen from the
... perspective of dissidents. The same right wing elite
... that own the government also own the media.
7:Obsession with National Security
--- and thus it creates enemies where none existed
8: Religion and Government are Intertwined
--- The separation of church and state has never been
... weaker. In fact, the right wing specifically try
... to claim Gods mandate.
9: Corporate Power is Protected
--- in fact, corporate power has been extended to
... all the rights of a citizen including unlimited
... political funding/lobbying/manipulation
10:Labor Power is Suppressed
--- thus the unending insults to those without money
... or power (i.e welfare ) even if they are hard
... working salaried employees struggling to make
... ends meet. If they get ahead by owning a house,
... encouraged by the government, the resulting
...'housing bubble' is blamed on their ambition!
... ONLY those with endless resources are blameless..
... even if their greed and recklessness CAUSED the
... problem.
11:Disdain for Intellectuals and the Arts
--- Thus the decline in STATE level university and
... schools as noted. Why worry about educating the
... masses when the elite can go to well funded
... private schools?
12:Obsession with Crime and Punishment
--- is it a coincidence that something like 3.2% of
... the US adult populaiton is in jail or on probation?
13: Rampant Cronyism and Corruption
--- Back rooms deals are the life blood of the US
... political system and the 'old boys net' ensures
... that cronyism is hidden behind the public facade
14: Fraudulent Elections
--- By international standards, the U.S. election are
... something of a joke, not binding, and rife with
... gerrymandering, counting fraud, and graveyard votes.
... With 'video voting' and no oversight, it is now
... possible to completely create a false vote.
... http://portland.indymedia.org/en/2003/07/2688...
... and yet nothing is done to ensure fair elections still.
This is the truth.

This is the rpoblem.
LessHypeMoreFact

Toronto, Canada

#35902 May 16, 2013
Teddy R wrote:
<quoted text>
Just sayin', is all.
Feel free to babble(just sayin') all you want.

http://www.usinnovation.org/files/ComparisonC...

Since 2007 or so, almost all research in the PRC was met or exceeded the levels in the US. There are few areas where the US still holds a slim lead.

Your post is purely nationalistic blindness and of no significance. There are going to be a few useless idiots on any subject.

“Let's X Change!!”

Level 4

Since: Feb 09

B4 HOPE Is Gone...

#35903 May 16, 2013
OzRitz wrote:
<quoted text>
Man, did you go way off left field in reading my posts. It was nothing to do with culture domination or anything else. You have totally misread my point. I never stated China as being inferior in terms of smarts at all. Facts suggest totally the opposite they are a very disciplined culture like the Japanese. For every top grade student in the US they will have a 100 much better.
What I was pointing out that under a communist regime innovation does not come easy. Because they are taught from birth not to think outside the box. That is where the West or US has the edge because free thinking inspires innovation. So as a result they built a business on copying other peoples ideas for most of the later part of this century.
then why do you seem to promote that type of governance on the u.s.?

“Let's X Change!!”

Level 4

B4 HOPE Is Gone...

#35904 May 16, 2013
OzRitz wrote:
<quoted text>
Hang where does the innovation come from, it sure doesn't come from the bible belt, it comes from the East and West coast of the US. Obviously that comes from a culture of free thinking, Jobs & Gates did not come from the Bible belt. Einstein, Edison drifted to the east or west coast. Industrialists like Ford etc take a different path where the idea is to make money. It is the mix of the two that made America great. However politically the two are like oil and water.
so....is the rest of the u.s. useless to you? it sure sounds like it. but, i'll give you a chance to clarify. this should be really interesting. boy....some people are really stupid!

“Let's X Change!!”

Level 4

B4 HOPE Is Gone...

#35905 May 16, 2013
OzRitz wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree, but unfortunately in the USA the wheels of change turn slowly. I don't know if that is a left over from the civil war or what but there is still some deep divisions politically and the country only unifies quickly when under attack. But to give an example, I assume your Canadian right and when the rest of the world went metric it was fairly easy to implement in Canada and everywhere else. Same as universal health care when the world adopted that. It is much much harder to do those things in the US, every change like that is seen in some twisted way an attack on personal freedoms and that is very much entrenched in culture. Its the same with Climate control measures & gun control these are huge mountains to climb for the US where as a country like Japan or Germany or any Scandinavian country or China could implement any of it in a heartbeat. That is the huge difference. Countries like Italy, Greece etc now have also evolved into one that is a less disciplined culture and are paying the price for that as well. If any country develops a culture of tax avoidance then they will ultimately fail no matter what they produce.
the u.s. doesn't avoid taxes, dummy. we have the highest corporate taxes in the world.

why do you think we should model ourselves, btw, after other countries when we are, at least for now, the envy of the world??

dumb schmuk, ya!!

get some pride with yourself...then find some pride for your country!!

“Let's X Change!!”

Level 4

B4 HOPE Is Gone...

#35906 May 16, 2013
gcaveman1 wrote:
<quoted text>
This is the truth.
This is the rpoblem.
LMAO@U

this is YOUR truth?

that, son, is YOUR "rpoblem".

“Let's X Change!!”

Level 4

B4 HOPE Is Gone...

#35907 May 16, 2013
LessHypeMoreFact wrote:
<quoted text>
Since 2007 or so, almost all research in the PRC was met or exceeded the levels in the US. There are few areas where the US still holds a slim lead.
Your post is purely nationalistic blindness and of no significance. There are going to be a few useless idiots on any subject.
now that's more like it!!!!

you crazies have been worried about things in the sky that may be real or imagined (but nothing anyone has shown we can do anything about), but now you bring up something we can ALL get behind!!

let's focus on things we can change anfd overcome so puzzies like most of the people on this thead can keep bithin' about what they don't like about america.

yeah!!!!!

Location hidden

#35908 May 16, 2013
ritedownthemiddle wrote:
<quoted text>so....is the rest of the u.s. useless to you? it sure sounds like it. but, i'll give you a chance to clarify. this should be really interesting. boy....some people are really stupid!
I never said that or implied. The US has been successful because it has a mix of industrialists and innovators. Both help build a country and make it a success. But the price to pay for that is a deep divide in political thinking. Each one believes their way to success is the only way and there is a lack of harmony between the two for big picture decisions. So both the "Bill Gates" and the "Donald Trumps" are seen as successful yet their political thinking are poles apart. Why can't there be middle ground any more in the USA. Were as a culture like Japan cram in line to board a fast train every day to travel to work, packing in like sardines in perfect harmony. So when the government decides they pay extra taxes or stop eating pizzas then it is accepted as being for the good of all. It's not communism or government taking away freedoms it's decisions based on the common good. Now 97% of Scientists now accept that man is the main contributor to climate change. Yet conservative politics won't accept that assumption so in the US decisions that need to be made do not get made. That is the difference. Why because the Industrialist sees this as taking away his or her piece of the pie to give to the innovator. So then it becomes political & not viewed as a big picture quality of life improvement for the whole country.

Location hidden

#35909 May 16, 2013
ritedownthemiddle wrote:
<quoted text>then why do you seem to promote that type of governance on the u.s.?
Nope not at all, I'm saying in here constantly that the very thing that made the US a economic success can be used to clean up the environment. All you have to do is make that environment a high value currency and its done & dusted. Of course there will be pain but that has been the history of the industrial age all along.
Teddy R

Mclean, VA

#35910 May 17, 2013
LessHypeMoreFact wrote:
<quoted text>
Interesting paper - thanks for posting - but superficial statistics that don't come close to demonstrating your sweeping hyperbolic assertion ("Since 2007 or so, almost all research in the PRC was met or exceeded the levels in the US.")

The paper confirms continued overwhelming US dominance in basic & biomedical research publication (quantity and quality), and really presents hard date showing Chinese gains in nanotechnology research only - with more anecdotal data suggesting gains in applied physical/materials science and engineering fields; not unsurprising for an autocratic regime driving its State-sponsored research entities to focus on military and commercial catch-up/power-building through whatever they can develop or (much more commonly) steal from others thru massive organized state-sponsored espionage and cyber-espionage.

Against this present CCP/State-sponsored system of global intellectual property theft, PRC science research performance remains at most a side-show.

Nationalistic blindness? I at least have lived in the PRC for years. Don't presume to lecture me on my 1st-hand knowledge of the PRC, my Chinese friends who actually work there, and what's one actually sees going on when you look 'under the hood.'

Revolutionary science, breakthroughs, game-changing discoveries and great leaps - i.e., the only science that really matters - are not coming from PRC science papers - and I wouldn't be holding my breath so long as otherwise potentially brilliant researchers remain shackled under an authoritarian CCP regime that values conformity and order above all else, that all Chinese people and entities exist to serve the State in the first instance, and truly believes it can control and must control what people think in order to stay in power.
Teddy R

Mclean, VA

#35911 May 17, 2013
*hard data ...
LessHypeMoreFact

Toronto, Canada

#35912 May 17, 2013
OzRitz wrote:
<quoted text>
I never said that or implied. The US has been successful because it has a mix of industrialists and innovators.
HAD, man HAD. The current dominance of large corporations (to compete globally is the excuse) had eliminated the 'competition' between those trying to take second spot. There IS only one spot now. And the government is not spending enough to encourage innovation. In fact, when they do, they get a backlash from the 'free marketers'.

Four things have made the US an economic engine. One is position (on trade routes between EU and the Far East). Second is easy access to the interior from the Great Lakes and Mississippi water ways. Third was access to untouched high grade resources. Fourth is competitive spirit with many small businesses.

Position is not longer an issue since the Northwest Passage is about to open up. And ships don't have to stop in the US.

The easy access on water routes is still there (mostly) but with the dominance of road travel, it isn't so much a factor any more.

The high grade resources were mostly wasted in the 'rush to industrialize' and grow the economy. And oil resources were never great which has cost a lot. The Middle East has most of the debt money that China doesn't.

The CRITICAL factor today is that innovation is at a standstill. There are still inventions (i.e the Inductrac maglev system) but not DEVELOPMENT of anything. They leave that up to the real countries. The major corporations don't NEED innovation to expand. They already dominate the markets. And any innovator gets 'run over' by the drag of development costs at the same time they are 'frozen out' of markets by dirty tricks.

Germany, Japan, China, look at the major strong economies and look at how many new products are developed there. That is what keeps them strong. And while control of the US markets keeps some US companies in position to garner a share of the wealth, this is losing steam as the consumer loses jobs and 'disposable income'.

The rise of nationalism (one of the characteristics of fascism) generally means that most Americans don't accept these realities but it is happening nonetheless. Unless the US can start moving forward again instead of backward into monopoly, conservativism, etc. they are going to be 'left behind'.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#35913 May 17, 2013
ritedownthemiddle wrote:
<quoted text>To posters:

now that's more like it!!!!
you crazies have been worried about things in the sky that may be real or imagined (but nothing anyone has shown we can do anything about), but now you bring up something we can ALL get behind!!
let's focus on things we can change anfd[sic] overcome so puzzies[sic] like most of the people on this thead can keep bithin'[sic] about what they don't like about america.
yeah!!!!!
Whine a lot?

http://www.altenergystocks.com/archives/2013/...

If we fear for the future, it is paradoxical to attempt to mitigate risks by remaining invested in fossil fuels. What we do now will bring about the future for better or worse. If we’re to emerge from our 19th century energy system, it must be us, now, today, who set that emergence in motion. Leave fossil fuels for those who prefer to look backwards.

Location hidden

#35914 May 17, 2013
LessHypeMoreFact wrote:
<quoted text>
HAD, man HAD. The current dominance of large corporations (to compete globally is the excuse) had eliminated the 'competition' between those trying to take second spot. There IS only one spot now. And the government is not spending enough to encourage innovation. In fact, when they do, they get a backlash from the 'free marketers'.
Four things have made the US an economic engine. One is position (on trade routes between EU and the Far East). Second is easy access to the interior from the Great Lakes and Mississippi water ways. Third was access to untouched high grade resources. Fourth is competitive spirit with many small businesses.
I can't argue with a lot of what you say, in the current climate it would be next to impossible for someone to invent a ground breaking product in their garage and have it brought to market.
There are other factors thou and that is a global recession kicked in. So there is a tendency for everyone to play it safe.
However Capitalism in its purest form means the end goal that one corporation owns and controls everything. At this point there is no competition and government is totally in-effective. What Americans have to decide is at what point does the reset button need to be pushed so they can start over with healthy competition again. Do you leave it until there is only ONE Bank, One Grocery chain, One Media outlet etc. In my view one of the quickest ways to hit the reset button is to slowly make fossil fuels worthless.
Easy to do and that is tax them out of existence in a slow and deliberate way or another fuel product is invented that is clean.
Then Innovation kicks back in and its a whole new ball game. A government worth its salt would have to do this on a world scale, for those countries not willing to comply then their products get hit with a import duty. It's pure fantasy and never likely to happen but in your scenario for the US then its fall of the Roman Empire all over again if no course change takes place.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Orlando Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min RoxLo 1,156,631
CASEY: Does the State Have the Goods to Convict? (Mar '10) 1 hr Murphey_Law 490,363
Missing 5-year-old Florida girl likely was abdu... (Feb '09) 3 hr zazz 96,723
The alphabet (Jun '06) 3 hr Princess Hey 1,163
Let's Chat (Jan '12) 16 hr The Real Missy 17,711
Inspiration Lane - Don't Quit (May '09) 16 hr Murph 70,624
11 arrested in Daytona Beach drug bust (Mar '07) Sat eddie 45
Orlando Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Orlando People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Orlando News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Orlando