Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt...

Full story: Newsday 49,310
When Bill Clinton took office in 1993, global warming was a slow-moving environmental problem that was easy to ignore. Full Story
Level 1

Since: May 10

Mckeesport, PA

#35565 May 5, 2013
In 1972 the climate freaks were screaming of the coming ice age caused by man, now they are screaming of the coming melt down of the earth from warming.
Yet they refuse to be honest they cook the books on studies and demean those with opposing views, and I have yet to hear one of address the fact that the earth has been in a cooling cycle for 20 yrs. and the present spring is the 2nd coldest in the history of records being kept in the U.S.
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#35566 May 5, 2013
mememine69 wrote:
<quoted text>Condemning my kids to a CO2 CLIMATE CRISIS from Human CO2 IS a CO2 death threat but you wouldn't understand because this fear mongering you remaining doomers do comes just so easily to you. You act like ignorant neocons.
So, sue, if your case is so great.
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#35567 May 5, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>Can you cite any fossil fuel subsidy or tax break other U-E manufactures don't get? Do you believe all the revenues from fossil fuel belong to the government?
Green energy doesn't work. Have you read about the newest solar plane that goes 40mph, takes 10 days downtime for each flight and can't fly through a cloud?
It works. You lie.

Orville and Wilbur didn't do so good the first few times, but look at their progeny now.
Retired Farmer

Kuttawa, KY

#35568 May 5, 2013
The Pentagon is certainly taking climate change and a post-petroleum future seriously.

http://www.cnas.org/node/5023

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Level 10

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#35569 May 5, 2013
OzRitz wrote:
The bliss of ignorance, one of the few things mankind has yet to overcome. As it takes thousands of years for crude oil to form under natural conditions I guess a 10 day flight dodging a few clouds chasing sunshine seems like instant travel. But as fossil fuel use is climbing all the time with developing countries coming on line and emissions increasing by over 3% a year it doesn't take Einstein to work out that this finite resource will run out of steam as well. Infact it will all be above us, polluting the atmosphere. No different than someone farting in a crowded lift it effects everyone until the door opens! What will you do when there is no door ?
We've never run out of ANY mineral resource; as demand increases so does the ability to find and produce more.

CO2 isn't pollution, it's vital for life.
SpaceBlues

Pasadena, TX

#35570 May 5, 2013
Unfortunately, Callendar didn't foresee just how much fossil fuels we would be burning over the next 75 years and what kind of negative effects we could produce with this gigantic chemical experiment with our planet's atmosphere by pumping billions of tons of CO2 into it.

Money wasted? Carbon bubble?

"Two-thirds of a trillion" dollars were spent last year alone in fossil-fuels exploration when only a quarter of the known reserves can be burned in any conceivable future.

Plus nature's destruction and exploration accidents.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Level 10

Location hidden

#35571 May 5, 2013
See Oz? Even SpaceBlues agrees, we'll never run out of fossil fuel.

Of course his 'Carbon bubble' idea flies in the face of continued investment in fossil fuel exploration and increased production. Looks like investors, people with skin in the game, don't buy into his bubbles.
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#35572 May 5, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>Can you cite any fossil fuel subsidy or tax break other U-E manufactures don't get? Do you believe all the revenues from fossil fuel belong to the government?
Green energy doesn't work. Have you read about the newest solar plane that goes 40mph, takes 10 days downtime for each flight and can't fly through a cloud?
Hey, brainless, meme69ing himself, and drinking the koolaid, swallow this:

General Motors called on Barack Obama and Congress to work together on climate change, saying the effort would be good for business.

GM, which makes the plug-in Chevy Volt, was the first of the big three car makers to sign on to a new push from the business world for greater action on global warming from Washington, the Climate Declaration.

Aside from GM, the effort was endorsed by household names such as Starbucks, Intel, and eBay, as well as a number of outdoor clothing manufacturers.

Before signing on to the Climate Declaration, GM had been pressing the Obama administration to adopt a national energy policy, promoting natural gas and renewables.

GM has also been working for energy-savings on its manufacturing line,. The company said it now operated two of the world's biggest solar power arrays.

-The Guardian
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#35573 May 5, 2013
mememine69 wrote:
<quoted text>Condemning my kids to a CO2 CLIMATE CRISIS from Human CO2 IS a CO2 death threat but you wouldn't understand because this fear mongering you remaining doomers do comes just so easily to you. You act like ignorant neocons.
"remaining doomers" LOL

"Six months after Superstorm Sandy killed dozens of people and caused an estimated $50 billion in damage on the East Coast, a majority — 58 percent — of Americans see a connection between recent changes in the weather and global climate change, according to a new report.

"People are beginning to recognize a pattern of extreme weather across the country and are themselves saying 'Aha, I wonder if climate change has something to do with that,'" Anthony Leiserowitz, director of the Yale Project on Climate Change Communication, which released the report today, told NBC News."
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#35574 May 5, 2013
mememine69 wrote:
Here's some more "doomers" for ya!

China is fast becoming a global leader on climate change, according to a report by Australia's Climate Commission.

The independent body's report, "The Critical Decade: International Action on Climate Change", presents an overview of action taken by governments in the last nine months.

It's found that every major economy has policies in place to tackle the issue, but China is at the forefront in strengthening its response with the government "taking ambitious strides to add renewable energy to its mix".
kristy

Oviedo, FL

#35575 May 5, 2013
gcaveman1 wrote:
<quoted text>
"remaining doomers" LOL
"Six months after Superstorm Sandy killed dozens of people and caused an estimated $50 billion in damage on the East Coast, a majority — 58 percent — of Americans see a connection between recent changes in the weather and global climate change, according to a new report.
"People are beginning to recognize a pattern of extreme weather across the country and are themselves saying 'Aha, I wonder if climate change has something to do with that,'" Anthony Leiserowitz, director of the Yale Project on Climate Change Communication, which released the report today, told NBC News."
If the weather is hot, that proves global warming (last March, "This is what GW looks like"). If the weather is cold, that also proves global warming,(this April/May is what global warming looks like), because global warming creates more extremes. An ice age would therefore be the ultimate proof of global warming.
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#35576 May 5, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>We've never run out of ANY mineral resource; as demand increases so does the ability to find and produce more.
CO2 isn't pollution, it's vital for life.
Here's one for ya, loser.

Nearly a dozen U.S. cities have announced their interest in withdrawing municipal investments from fossil fuel companies, joining a fast-growing movement among colleges and universities that supporters say is allowing citizens concerned with environmental degradation and global climate change to act in lieu of federal action from the U.S. Congress.
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#35577 May 5, 2013
mememine69 wrote:
Here's some more doomers for you; these are of a different stripe.

The United States has failed to take action to mitigate climate change thanks in part to the large number of religious Americans who believe the world has a set expiration date.

Research by David C. Barker of the University of Pittsburgh and David H. Bearce of the University of Colorado uncovered that belief in the biblical end-times was a motivating factor behind resistance to curbing climate change.

“[T]he fact that such an overwhelming percentage of Republican citizens profess a belief in the Second Coming (76 percent in 2006, according to our sample) suggests that governmental attempts to curb greenhouse emissions would encounter stiff resistance even if every Democrat in the country wanted to curb them,” Barker and Bearce wrote in their study, which will be published in the June issue of Political Science Quarterly.

The study, based on data from the 2007 Cooperative Congressional Election Study, uncovered that belief in the “Second Coming” of Jesus reduced the probability of strongly supporting government action on climate change by 12 percent when controlling for a number of demographic and cultural factors. When the effects of party affiliation, political ideology, and media distrust were removed from the analysis, the belief in the “Second Coming” increased this effect by almost 20 percent.

“[I]t stands to reason that most nonbelievers would support preserving the Earth for future generations, but that end-times believers would rationally perceive such efforts to be ultimately futile, and hence ill-advised,” Barker and Bearce explained.
SpaceBlues

Pasadena, TX

#35578 May 5, 2013
mememine69 wrote:
<quoted text>..you remaining doomers do comes just so easily to you. You act like ignorant neocons.
Do you feel fear and loneliness because almost all of your ilk have dropped off without good-byes?

You have been stuck in your ignorance for years and years. Other deniers could not go on against the science evidence day in day out. BUT you?
SpaceBlues

Pasadena, TX

#35579 May 5, 2013
Deniers even deny common sense.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Level 10

Location hidden

#35580 May 5, 2013
There is no action we can take on climate change; there's never been an experimental test of climate change mitigation.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Level 10

Location hidden

#35581 May 5, 2013
gcaveman1 wrote:
Here's one for ya, loser. Nearly a dozen U.S. cities have announced their interest in withdrawing municipal investments from fossil fuel companies, joining a fast-growing movement among colleges and universities that supporters say is allowing citizens concerned with environmental degradation and global climate change to act in lieu of federal action from the U.S. Congress.
When they sell there holdings, the price will drop; a good chance to buy. I've bought Israeli securities when universities divest, I like the dividends.

You should make investment decisions based in anticipated returns, not politics or the needs of the moment.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Level 10

Location hidden

#35582 May 5, 2013
gcaveman1 wrote:
Hey, brainless, meme69ing himself, and drinking the koolaid, swallow this:
General Motors called on Barack Obama and Congress to work together on climate change, saying the effort would be good for business.
GM, which makes the plug-in Chevy Volt, was the first of the big three car makers to sign on to a new push from the business world for greater action on global warming from Washington, the Climate Declaration.
Aside from GM, the effort was endorsed by household names such as Starbucks, Intel, and eBay, as well as a number of outdoor clothing manufacturers.
Before signing on to the Climate Declaration, GM had been pressing the Obama administration to adopt a national energy policy, promoting natural gas and renewables.
GM has also been working for energy-savings on its manufacturing line,. The company said it now operated two of the world's biggest solar power arrays.
-The Guardian
Government Motors isn't the best example of private equity.
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#35583 May 5, 2013
Senior US government officials are to be briefed at the White House this week on the danger of an ice-free Arctic in the summer within two years.

The meeting is bringing together Nasa's acting chief scientist, Gale Allen, the director of the US National Science Foundation, Cora Marett, as well as representatives from the US Department of Homeland Security and the Pentagon.

This is the latest indication that US officials are increasingly concerned about the international and domestic security implications of climate change.

-The Guardian
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#35584 May 5, 2013
kristy wrote:
<quoted text>
If the weather is hot, that proves global warming (last March, "This is what GW looks like"). If the weather is cold, that also proves global warming,(this April/May is what global warming looks like), because global warming creates more extremes. An ice age would therefore be the ultimate proof of global warming.
I think you've gotten lost. That happens a lot to stupid people, from what I understand.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Orlando Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min Portlandia 1,155,652
Florida clerks won't give gays marriage licenses 2 hr Rainbow Kid 19
Christmas lights? 2 hr Jaimee 1
Inspiration Lane - Don't Quit (May '09) 10 hr Murph 70,621
Missing 5-year-old Florida girl likely was abdu... (Feb '09) 15 hr zazz 96,692
CASEY: Does the State Have the Goods to Convict? (Mar '10) 15 hr Top of the day 2 ya 490,362
Review: ABC Used Auto Parts $$ cash for junk ca... Wed Obviously Obvious 2
Orlando Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Orlando People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Orlando News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Orlando

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 11:09 am PST