Once slow-moving threat, global warmi...

Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt...

There are 58826 comments on the Newsday story from Dec 14, 2008, titled Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt.... In it, Newsday reports that:

When Bill Clinton took office in 1993, global warming was a slow-moving environmental problem that was easy to ignore.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Level 10

Since: Dec 08

Home, sweet home.

#35549 May 4, 2013
SpaceBlues wrote:
b_gone is all nothing but corrupt.
I make my arguments without insulting other posters; ad hominem arguments are fallacies. Learn to deal with reason; you'll learn more.

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#35550 May 4, 2013
Retired Farmer wrote:
<quoted text>
I was referring to your statement, "Green energy doesn't work, that's why the government has to pay people to use it."
Today's green energy technology has been tested and proven not only experimentally but in actual use at least as much and probably more than railroads were in 1850 when Congress chartered the Illinois Central, the prototype land grant subsidized railroad in the U.S.A.
One of the reasons that the government subsidized building of the transcontinental railroad in the 1860s because private investors could not be convinced that it would ever make a profit in part because the IC did not make one in its early years.
Correct, some projects go beyond the scope of any private company. When a whole economy is built around fossil fuels then you will not change that overnight if at all. Like all the shootings did not change the mind of government reps for better gun control. So nor will a massive drought, flood, storms coming year after year doing untold damage convince them to change course either. You will see planet treasures like the Amazon get destroyed, the Barrier reef will disappear and we will be still arguing about it.
But like I said in changing course you build an economy around green it is not a threat to capitalism at all, because a greenie could end up the next Bill Gates.
Retired Farmer

Kuttawa, KY

#35551 May 4, 2013
OzRitz wrote:
<quoted text>
Correct, some projects go beyond the scope of any private company. When a whole economy is built around fossil fuels then you will not change that overnight if at all. Like all the shootings did not change the mind of government reps for better gun control. So nor will a massive drought, flood, storms coming year after year doing untold damage convince them to change course either. You will see planet treasures like the Amazon get destroyed, the Barrier reef will disappear and we will be still arguing about it.
But like I said in changing course you build an economy around green it is not a threat to capitalism at all, because a greenie could end up the next Bill Gates.
I am a gun owner and a member of the NRA. I vehemently oppose what most people call "better gun control." I am of the opinion that the best way to prevent shootings is for more people to have a gun and shoot the shooter.

That said, I fully agree with you about green energy.
SpaceBlues

Pasadena, TX

#35552 May 4, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>I make my arguments without insulting other posters; ad hominem arguments are fallacies. Learn to deal with reason; you'll learn more.
LOL.

You have no arguments but lies as insults just as stated by many about you before. You are paid to post for fossil-fuel interests; thus, you are nothing but all corrupt.

Oh you never admonish your ilk for their posting. Duh!
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#35553 May 4, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>Fossil fuel users pay far more in taxes than any supposed subsidy. Why don't you cite one of your imagined fossil fuel tax subsidies? Do you think all the money earned by producing fossil fuels belongs to the government?
.
<quoted text>Green energy doesn't work, that's why the government has to pay people to use it.
FF subsidies and tax breaks are everywhere! I'm surprised that you're as ignorant of them as you are of everything else, since you're in the business.

Saying green energy doesn't work lowers you down to another level of STUPIDITY!
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#35555 May 4, 2013
I'm just one little guy in this great country.

If everybody in the nation cut their HVAC bill in half like I have, what a wonderful place this would be.

Plus, my hard earned dollars go farther, and that's basic economics that's beyond the pay grade of most deniers.

Have a nice night, losers.

http://science.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/04/29/1...
Dont drink the koolaid

Minneapolis, MN

#35556 May 4, 2013
SpaceBlues wrote:
b_gone is all nothing but corrupt.
Alcohol is not for everyone.
Dont drink the koolaid

Minneapolis, MN

#35557 May 4, 2013
SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>LOL.
You have no arguments but lies as insults just as stated by many about you before. You are paid to post for fossil-fuel interests; thus, you are nothing but all corrupt.
Oh you never admonish your ilk for their posting. Duh!
Yes, he earns millions posting to a skilled 'cut n paste' follower of The Catastrophic Climate Change Cult And you sit there surrounded by his fellow Lone Star Millionaires. One must love the irony.
Dont drink the koolaid

Minneapolis, MN

#35558 May 4, 2013
I await further proof of CAGW. If you have no proof of CAGW please substitute an insult.

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#35559 May 4, 2013
Dont drink the koolaid wrote:
I await further proof of CAGW. If you have no proof of CAGW please substitute an insult.
Proof to you guys is no proof at all. You might view the video link about a book published on Denial-ism: How Irrational Thinking Harms the Planet and Threatens Our Lives. It covers everything from vaccines to other scientific achievements. With the point being if Electricity had just been invented and the first two products that came off the line were the elec chair and a cattle prod. Would you be one of the crowd to have it banned ?

“EnvironMENTAList ”

Since: Feb 07

Near Detroit

#35560 May 4, 2013
SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>What! I've never done those things but you have in these threads. I'm NOT you!
I was correct you are a certifiable nut.
Condemning my kids to a CO2 CLIMATE CRISIS from Human CO2 IS a CO2 death threat but you wouldn't understand because this fear mongering you remaining doomers do comes just so easily to you. You act like ignorant neocons.
SpaceBlues

Pasadena, TX

#35561 May 4, 2013
mememine69 wrote:
<quoted text>Condemning my kids to a CO2 CLIMATE CRISIS from Human CO2 IS a CO2 death threat but you wouldn't understand because this fear mongering you remaining doomers do comes just so easily to you. You act like ignorant neocons.
You are the one condemning all the kids and their future to a global climate change and its consequences because you deny all the harm that comes from fossil fuel burning.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Level 10

Since: Dec 08

Home, sweet home.

#35562 May 4, 2013
gcaveman1 wrote:
FF subsidies and tax breaks are everywhere! I'm surprised that you're as ignorant of them as you are of everything else, since you're in the business. Saying green energy doesn't work lowers you down to another level of STUPIDITY!
Can you cite any fossil fuel subsidy or tax break other U-E manufactures don't get? Do you believe all the revenues from fossil fuel belong to the government?

Green energy doesn't work. Have you read about the newest solar plane that goes 40mph, takes 10 days downtime for each flight and can't fly through a cloud?

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#35563 May 5, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>Can you cite any fossil fuel subsidy or tax break other U-E manufactures don't get? Do you believe all the revenues from fossil fuel belong to the government?
Green energy doesn't work. Have you read about the newest solar plane that goes 40mph, takes 10 days downtime for each flight and can't fly through a cloud?
The bliss of ignorance, one of the few things mankind has yet to overcome. As it takes thousands of years for crude oil to form under natural conditions I guess a 10 day flight dodging a few clouds chasing sunshine seems like instant travel. But as fossil fuel use is climbing all the time with developing countries coming on line and emissions increasing by over 3% a year it doesn't take Einstein to work out that this finite resource will run out of steam as well. Infact it will all be above us, polluting the atmosphere. No different than someone farting in a crowded lift it effects everyone until the door opens! What will you do when there is no door ?
Retired Farmer

Kuttawa, KY

#35564 May 5, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>Green energy doesn't work. Have you read about the newest solar plane that goes 40mph, takes 10 days downtime for each flight and can't fly through a cloud?
Have you read about solar home heating units? They do work. My daughter has them on her house and they cut her winter heating bill by about half.

http://www.ussolarheating.com/
Level 1

Since: May 10

Mckeesport, PA

#35565 May 5, 2013
In 1972 the climate freaks were screaming of the coming ice age caused by man, now they are screaming of the coming melt down of the earth from warming.
Yet they refuse to be honest they cook the books on studies and demean those with opposing views, and I have yet to hear one of address the fact that the earth has been in a cooling cycle for 20 yrs. and the present spring is the 2nd coldest in the history of records being kept in the U.S.
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#35566 May 5, 2013
mememine69 wrote:
<quoted text>Condemning my kids to a CO2 CLIMATE CRISIS from Human CO2 IS a CO2 death threat but you wouldn't understand because this fear mongering you remaining doomers do comes just so easily to you. You act like ignorant neocons.
So, sue, if your case is so great.
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#35567 May 5, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>Can you cite any fossil fuel subsidy or tax break other U-E manufactures don't get? Do you believe all the revenues from fossil fuel belong to the government?
Green energy doesn't work. Have you read about the newest solar plane that goes 40mph, takes 10 days downtime for each flight and can't fly through a cloud?
It works. You lie.

Orville and Wilbur didn't do so good the first few times, but look at their progeny now.
Retired Farmer

Kuttawa, KY

#35568 May 5, 2013
The Pentagon is certainly taking climate change and a post-petroleum future seriously.

http://www.cnas.org/node/5023

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Level 10

Since: Dec 08

Home, sweet home.

#35569 May 5, 2013
OzRitz wrote:
The bliss of ignorance, one of the few things mankind has yet to overcome. As it takes thousands of years for crude oil to form under natural conditions I guess a 10 day flight dodging a few clouds chasing sunshine seems like instant travel. But as fossil fuel use is climbing all the time with developing countries coming on line and emissions increasing by over 3% a year it doesn't take Einstein to work out that this finite resource will run out of steam as well. Infact it will all be above us, polluting the atmosphere. No different than someone farting in a crowded lift it effects everyone until the door opens! What will you do when there is no door ?
We've never run out of ANY mineral resource; as demand increases so does the ability to find and produce more.

CO2 isn't pollution, it's vital for life.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Orlando Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Missing 5-year-old Florida girl likely was abdu... (Feb '09) 23 min zazz 98,019
Change one letter game (Sep '11) 23 min Princess Hey 3,031
3 word game (Jan '11) 33 min Princess Hey 13,973
keep a word----drop a word (Feb '11) 45 min Princess Hey 18,914
Alphabet Game (Apr '12) 48 min Princess Hey 9,755
two words (Jul '10) 50 min Princess Hey 27,806
Word Association 2 (Jul '10) 51 min Princess Hey 22,928
CASEY: Does the State Have the Goods to Convict? (Mar '10) 1 hr LizW 513,031
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Orlando Mortgages