Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt...

Full story: Newsday 48,590
When Bill Clinton took office in 1993, global warming was a slow-moving environmental problem that was easy to ignore. Full Story

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#35115 Apr 14, 2013
Teddy R wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you even think about this patent nonsense statement before posting it?
Yes but you just misread it, if i went on with some long winded explanation then it misses the point. Consumption of the planet's resources is consumed by 1.5 times each yr before it can be replaced again.
In simple terms, fossil fuels consumed before being replenished, trees cut down before new ones reach maturity.

If you want detail then here:
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-205_162-57434525/...
Obama-Hoodwinked -YOU

Minneapolis, MN

#35116 Apr 14, 2013
Global Warming is slowing down.

Minnesota has 3-4 feet of snow and it's the middle of April. There's talk like the snow might not melt this summer and glaciers will be starting formation.

Global Warming is a myth!!!!

A bunch of BS from Al Gore, one of the richest people in the world. Why doesn't Al share his wealth?

Location hidden

#35117 Apr 14, 2013
Obama-Hoodwinked-YOU wrote:
Global Warming is slowing down.
Minnesota has 3-4 feet of snow and it's the middle of April. There's talk like the snow might not melt this summer and glaciers will be starting formation.
Global Warming is a myth!!!!
A bunch of BS from Al Gore, one of the richest people in the world. Why doesn't Al share his wealth?
Typical ignorant post from a denier who thinks global warming is all about having a long hot summer!. If you get your info from shock jocks and fox news then you have a lot to learn.
Global warming is ALL ABOUT 3-4 feet of snow in the middle of April, its ALL ABOUT changing rain fall patterns, it's ALL ABOUT extreme weather! That is the threat of loading the planet with too much C02 as it is ALL ABOUT ocean temps ,not the f...g temps outside your window.
Obama-Hoodwinked -YOU

Minneapolis, MN

#35118 Apr 14, 2013
Why is it called Global Warming if it isn't about WARMING?

A year ago all you pot smoking radicals were claiming the WARM spring was proof positive of Global Warming!!

NOW we have a bonified COLD SPRING and you radicals are claiming it's PROOF of Global Warming.

WHICH IS IT????

It's too obvious it's BS!!

Location hidden

#35119 Apr 14, 2013
It was a mistake to call it global warming because of ppl such as yourself who cannot grasp what it means when you have a sub zero winter. But its never about that one day, or week its about mean temps rising but more important ocean temps rising, ice melting and the result of that is CLIMATE CHANGE.

But the facts are mean temps all over the planet are increasing, and weather comes from the oceans. Ocean levels rising and low lying communities coming under pressure. Like a 1 deg increase in sea temps in the gulf for instance can mean the difference between a cat 1-2 storm changing into a category 5. THAT'S CLIMATE CHANGE!!!!!! Man has the tech to address it but like gun control the ignorant just can't get their heads around it.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#35120 Apr 14, 2013
Poster at #35118:.. global warming?

Me: Here's a search for you.

http://www.google.com/search...

Read any link there, for example:

The greenhouse effect is being increased by certain gases released into the atmosphere. This is called "global warming."

http://www.epa.gov/airtrends/aqtrnd95/globwar...

Location hidden

#35121 Apr 15, 2013
Ice has been melting during summer on the Antarctic Peninsula at its fastest rate in centuries, with scientists warning the process may no longer be as gradual as previously thought.

In a ground breaking new study, Australian researcher Dr Nerilie Abram says even small increases in temperature could now lead to a massive spike in summer ice melt on the peninsula.

The findings, published in the latest edition of the journal Nature Geoscience, show summer ice is melting at 10 times the rate of 600 years ago.

The most rapid melting has occurred in the past 50 years, researchers from The Australian National University and the British Antarctic Survey found

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/2013/04/1...

“fairtax.org”

Level 8

Since: Dec 08

gauley bridge wv

#35123 Apr 15, 2013
Water splitting: Plants provide blueprint for cheap hydrogen production

Phys.org

This is not the same process I reported the other day.
kristy

Oviedo, FL

#35124 Apr 15, 2013
OzRitz wrote:
Ice has been melting during summer on the Antarctic Peninsula at its fastest rate in centuries, with scientists warning the process may no longer be as gradual as previously thought.
In a ground breaking new study, Australian researcher Dr Nerilie Abram says even small increases in temperature could now lead to a massive spike in summer ice melt on the peninsula.
The findings, published in the latest edition of the journal Nature Geoscience, show summer ice is melting at 10 times the rate of 600 years ago.
The most rapid melting has occurred in the past 50 years, researchers from The Australian National University and the British Antarctic Survey found
http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/2013/04/1...
This study by Dr. Abram is a 1000 year reconstruction, but don't worry last year Dr. Abram published a 15,000 reconstruction and found that temperatures were 1.3 C warmer 11,000 years ago than today. The authors state this in their abstract:

"Although warming of the northeastern Antarctic Peninsula began around 600 years ago, the high rate of warming over the past century is unusual (but not unprecedented) in the context of natural climate variability over the past two millennia."

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v489/n74...

But you are totally ignoring the elephant in the room:

http://nsidc.org/data/seaice_index/images/dai...
litesong

Lynnwood, WA

#35125 Apr 15, 2013
Obama-Hoodwinked-YOU wrote:
Why is it called Global Warming if it isn't about WARMING?.......
NOW we have a bonified(sic) COLD SPRING and you radicals are claiming it's PROOF of Global Warming.
Ah don' know whet a "bone-eh-fied'' es. "Bonafide", ah no!

As fer yer colt spell..........

Energy retained, due to man-made GHGs, causes excess energy to build in Earth's biosphere. This excess energy often moves towards the North Pole, causing Arctic temperatures to rise, stunningly. Simultaneously, the cold Arctic fronts are vigorously pushed to the south, causing abrupt cold weather patterns in populated, more southern regions.

Often the cold snaps, people experience, are preceded by warmed Arctic stoppage of sea ice freezing & even winter lose of sea ice. Seems like the Arctic is affecting southern human populations right now! The NP & SP are Earth's air conditioners.

Who woulda thunk et!

Since: Oct 08

Alpharetta, GA

#35126 Apr 15, 2013
libs believer in global warming, because they don't believe in God. they dont realize God has it all covered.
Level 1

Since: Apr 08

"the green troll"

#35127 Apr 15, 2013
inbred Genius wrote:
libs believer in global warming, because they don't believe in God. they dont realize God has it all covered.
Gonna be a bit of a shock for you idiots when you realise God booby trapped the Earth to blow up in your faces.
Level 1

Since: Apr 08

"the green troll"

#35128 Apr 15, 2013
twisty kristy wrote:
<quoted text>
This study by Dr. Abram is a 1000 year reconstruction, but don't worry last year Dr. Abram published a 15,000 reconstruction and found that temperatures were 1.3 C warmer 11,000 years ago than today. The authors state this in their abstract:
"Although warming of the northeastern Antarctic Peninsula began around 600 years ago, the high rate of warming over the past century is unusual (but not unprecedented) in the context of natural climate variability over the past two millennia."
http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v489/n74...
But you are totally ignoring the elephant in the room:
http://nsidc.org/data/seaice_index/images/dai...
Twisty kristy strikes again.

Past temperature variation doesn't mean that recent temperature rise is nothing to worry about- because the present temperature rise is going to continue for a long time. whether or not it's warmer now than it was in the past is irrelevant. In a few decades it will be warmer for sure- and still rising.

From the paper twisty cites:

"Continued warming to temperatures that now exceed the stable conditions of most of the Holocene epoch is likely to cause ice-shelf instability to encroach farther southward along the Antarctic Peninsula."

Antarctic sea ice is another irrelevance: an anomaly caused by warming sea water and changing weather patterns. After a few decades, sea ice will be in decline too.

Another couple of feeble denier excuses from twisty.
litesong

Lynnwood, WA

#35129 Apr 15, 2013
inbred Genius wrote:
Correction:
Conservative disbeliever in science(& no science or mathematics background) said, "I believe in God...... & by god, god better believe like me, & believe in me. Of course, there won't be any libs in heaven, because they just don't believe like I do! Me & god........ we got it covered"

Alpharetta, GA

#35130 Apr 15, 2013
Fair Game wrote:
<quoted text>
Gonna be a bit of a shock for you idiots when you realise God booby trapped the Earth to blow up in your faces.
either that, or he wants to use global warming to cleanse the earth of humans, so he can wait a couple million years and try again....his next experiment probably wont include muslims, and libs, both of them have caused a lot of problems.

Alpharetta, GA

#35131 Apr 15, 2013
litesong wrote:
<quoted text>
Correction:
Conservative disbeliever in science(& no science or mathematics background) said, "I believe in God...... & by god, god better believe like me, & believe in me. Of course, there won't be any libs in heaven, because they just don't believe like I do! Me & god........ we got it covered"
so you're saying you're a little better than the rest of us? Smarter, younger, prettier, better educated, more sophisticated, hipper, able to order properly at Starbucks, enjoy films with subtitles, know which wine to order, can order in French if necessary, more in tune with the environment, against capital punishment for convicted killers, higher taxes on the rich, organic food fan, recycler and hybrid driver?

Alpharetta, GA

#35132 Apr 15, 2013
Fair Game wrote:
<quoted text>
so you're saying no need to continue recycling or shopping at Whole Foods?

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Level 10

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#35133 Apr 15, 2013
Plastic bags cost less to manufacture, than paper.
Teddy R

Houston, TX

#35134 Apr 15, 2013
OzRitz wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes but you just misread it, if i went on with some long winded explanation then it misses the point. Consumption of the planet's resources is consumed by 1.5 times each yr before it can be replaced again.
In simple terms, fossil fuels consumed before being replenished, trees cut down before new ones reach maturity.
If you want detail then here:
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-205_162-57434525/...
As explained, I understand.

(As an aside, I would be very interested in the source of your "1.5" factor - from what authority do you obtain that value? Also, I don't disagree with anything in the article you linked - other than it's the same basic hand-wringing article that's been written for the past century or more - no news).

While perhaps correct in theory, the answer, of course, is that technology advances and simple free-market economic drivers (yes, that eeevul CAPITALISM!") are also acting, and as a general rule prevent the Malthusian "crash" from ever becoming a reality we need to be worried about.

Fossil fuels will be rendered largely obsolete by better & cheaper energy sources long before they actually "run out."

Today's landfills will become tomorrow's highly profitable mines (where there's muck, there's brass!).

While one can point to plenty of cases of poor management of natural resources in every country and throughout history thru over-fishing, timber clear-cutting, whatever, in the long run it is those same eeeevul greedy self-interested capitalist entities that develop and introduce the technological advances in forestry, management of renewable resource stocks, etc.- and yes, THE MONEY - to put these resources on a long-term sustainable basis.

Concern for careful and sustainable management of natural resources is valid. Crepe-hanging jeremiads of a doomed future and blaming "capitalism" is not.

“Science not Conservatism”

Since: Jan 12

Progress, not Denial

#35136 Apr 15, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>He said: "...4. That climate modeling is able to predict what will happen in the future. >>It can with some degree of certainty, which has increased as models and computers have increased in sophistication...." That claim isn't based on science, it's a faith based belief.
And when you can PROVE that, do so. Merely making unsupported claims about my factual statements proves nothing, and MEANS nothing.

Like most of your posts, obviously..

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Orlando Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 6 min USAsince1680 1,144,196
Missing 5-year-old Florida girl likely was abdu... (Feb '09) 1 hr zazz 96,566
Attorney, former GOP candidate Deon Long disbarred 6 hr the circus is in ... 1
Bush Family skims one % from Domestic Violence ... 7 hr shamefully 6
CASEY: Does the State Have the Goods to Convict? (Mar '10) 7 hr bunner 489,660
Inspiration Lane - Don't Quit (May '09) 13 hr LizW 70,529
Let's Chat (Jan '12) 13 hr LizW 17,670
Orlando Dating
Find my Match

Orlando People Search