Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt...

Full story: Newsday

When Bill Clinton took office in 1993, global warming was a slow-moving environmental problem that was easy to ignore.

Comments (Page 1,638)

Showing posts 32,741 - 32,760 of45,444
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Level 10

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2013

Judged:

HomoSapiensLaptopicus wrote:
...In case you don't realize it, you're IN the experiment. We all are. We're adding CO2 to the atmosphere in unprecedented amounts, at completely unprecedented rates, & will eventually find out what it does....
That's called 'exhaling', it's not an experiment either. You really should learn what experiments are and how they are used to test theories so you can understand science.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Level 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2013

Judged:

Fair Game wrote:
...So deliberately releasing CO2 would be an experiment, whereas simply releasing CO2 is not an experiment?...
Fair Game might be catching on, experiments are deliberate procedures to test theories.

Not only are experiments deliberate, they attempt to control one variable while measuring another variable.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Level 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2013

Judged:

Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
Shut up. You have no argument. Are you a RW shill or are you just a radical denier? Perhaps you are just lonesome and this is the only way you can get folks to converse with you. Whatever you are very tiring.
^^^This argument doesn't discuss the issues, it has nothing to say about either man made catastrophic global warming or climate change mitigation. This argument is just cyberbullying and insults.

Ad hominem arguments are fallacies; many alarmists don't understand logic or science.
Level 1

Since: Apr 08

"the green troll"

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2013

Judged:

Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>Fair Game might be catching on, experiments are deliberate procedures to test theories.
Not only are experiments deliberate, they attempt to control one variable while measuring another variable.
So deliberately releasing CO2 would be an experiment?

Only problem is, your experimental method wouldn't work.
Brian_G wrote:
And we've never tested the greenhouse effect of CO2, if we nuke an underground coal mine that's been enriched with oxygen, can we produce enough CO2 to make a measurable change in temperature? Might be worth a try.
How can we produce enough CO2 to make a measurable change?

By burning coal or oil, of course.

So burning coal or oil deliberately would be an experiment.

Burning it in power stations would not?

A schoolboy would see that that is idiotic.

The fact that you repeat the idiocy makes it obvious that you are simply a troll.
Level 1

Since: Apr 08

"the green troll"

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2013

Judged:

Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>^^^This argument doesn't discuss the issues, it has nothing to say about either man made catastrophic global warming or climate change mitigation. This argument is just cyberbullying and insults.
Ad hominem arguments are fallacies; many alarmists don't understand logic or science.
Oh you poor little thing?

Are you being bullied?

It's pretty obvious you are pitching your arguments to the less well educated, who won't know one end of a scientific argument from another, but hate being condescended to, and hate seeing another less well educated person being condescended to.

So you make stupid arguments knowing the less well educated won't spot how stupid they are, or won't care, and clutch your pearls and appeal for sympathy.

Just an appeal for the less smart to shoot themselves in the foot rather than listen to smart people you and they resent so much.

“EnvironMENTAList ”

Since: Feb 07

Near Detroit

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2013

Judged:

dekajed wrote:
Arguing with these people is pointless. The earth is flat and u r a heretic if u say otherwise. "They" can't or won't believe empirical data. How can anyone form an opinion if they refuse facts. Capitalism and the free market will save us. Apparently according to one moron all we need to do is adapt by moving. I for one can't wait for the big die off.
Do you threaten your kids with this bullshit? You need to be a real planet lover and be happy not disappointed a climate crisis was a tragic exaggeration. Maybe you just hate humanity and want to drag us all down with you in your miserable life. I'm a capitalist and I've worked for what I have. I didn't do it at your expense. Get ahead of the curve and stop acting like a fear mongering neocon. We don't have to love the planet with your fear.
*Occupywallstreet does not even mention CO2 in its list of demands because of the bank-funded carbon trading stock markets ruled by corporations and trustworthy politicians.*

“EnvironMENTAList ”

Near Detroit

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2013

Judged:

Fair Game wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
So deliberately releasing CO2 would be an experiment, whereas simply releasing CO2 is not an experiment?
I think even a schoolchild would be able to spot that you are simply a troll.
27 years of wrong predictions of a coming climate crisis proves it was an exaggeration and you and the neocons sit and wish this misery was real. Nice!

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2013

Judged:

Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>That's called 'exhaling', it's not an experiment either. You really should learn what experiments are and how they are used to test theories so you can understand science.
Sure, Brian, I guess what all those coal-fired power plants are doing is "exhaling." Same thing with cars. They're just breathing. I get it now. You're SO clever.

If you live long enough, you'll come to see that we're right & you're terribly, terribly wrong. If you don't, your progeny will.

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2013

Judged:

mememine69 wrote:
<quoted text>27 years of wrong predictions of a coming climate crisis proves it was an exaggeration and you and the neocons sit and wish this misery was real. Nice!
Of course, you're dead WRONG again. More than 30 years ago, Hansen et al made a remarkbly accurate set of predictions about what would happen to temperatures & other aspects of climate. If you dare, read it:

http://pubs.giss.nasa.gov/docs/1981/1981_Hans...

Actual temperatures turned out to be a BIT higher than they predicted, but it was close enough. They also predicted other things that have subsequently happened: shifting climatic zones, drought in central North America & Asia, unstable ice sheets & the opening of the Northwest Passage.

Why don't you find ONE denier who was so accurate in predicting things so far into the future? One, just one.
litesong

Lynnwood, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2013

Judged:

brian_g stumble butt dumpster diver wrote:
This argument is just cyberbullying and insults.
More accurately:
"brian_g stumble butt dumpster diver" gives out slimy steenking filthy vile reprobate rooting(& rotting) racist pukey proud pigisms AND 4 alleged & 3 proud threats.

“EnvironMENTAList ”

Near Detroit

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2013

Judged:

HomoSapiensLaptopicus wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course, you're dead WRONG again. More than 30 years ago, Hansen et al made a remarkbly accurate set of predictions about what would happen to temperatures & other aspects of climate. If you dare, read it:
http://pubs.giss.nasa.gov/docs/1981/1981_Hans...
Actual temperatures turned out to be a BIT higher than they predicted, but it was close enough. They also predicted other things that have subsequently happened: shifting climatic zones, drought in central North America & Asia, unstable ice sheets & the opening of the Northwest Passage.
Why don't you find ONE denier who was so accurate in predicting things so far into the future? One, just one.
Show me one single IPCC warning report not full of "maybes". Science has never said any crisis was certain, imminent, eventual,inevitable or "WILL" happen. Science says comet hits are a real eventual crisis and has NEVER said the same for climate change crisis. Prove me wrong!27 years of maybe means won't be. Deny that Doomer.
commoncents

Enfield, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2013

Judged:

One very hot or cold year regionally or globally= no big deal. The main concern is trends over decades. In 1934 the ice caps were ok. the glacier melt provinding water to billions of people annually= ok. now the arctic is disappearing....the glacers are retreating at an alarmingly rapid geological rate a threat to the store of clean water for billions of people. 1934 is not even the tip of any well thought argument against the rapidly worsening warming trend.
commoncents

Enfield, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2013

Judged:

Yes i saw and read the report thank you. It was very detailed. First page= admits C02 is responsible for global warming trends. first page= admits human activity is causing c02 release into the atmospere, read read read read read etc. then read the last page.........closer.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Level 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2013

Judged:

Fair Game wrote:
So deliberately releasing CO2 would be an experiment? Only problem is, your experimental method wouldn't work. How can we produce enough CO2 to make a measurable change? By burning coal or oil, of course. So burning coal or oil deliberately would be an experiment. Burning it in power stations would not? A schoolboy would see that that is idiotic. The fact that you repeat the idiocy makes it obvious that you are simply a troll.
"An experiment is a orderly procedure carried out with the goal of verifying, falsifying, or establishing the validity of a hypothesis. Experiments provide insight into cause-and-effect by demonstrating what outcome occurs when a particular factor is manipulated. Experiments vary greatly in their goal and scale, but always rely on repeatable procedure and logical analysis of the results."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Experiment

If Fair Game finds that explanation 'idiotic', it reflects on his understanding of science.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2013

Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>Evolution isn't an experiment. They believe in catastrophic man made global warming because they don't understand science.
You are clueless.

Because you don't understand science, you post such nonsense.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2013

Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>"An experiment is a orderly procedure carried out with the goal of verifying, falsifying, or establishing the validity of a hypothesis. Experiments provide insight into cause-and-effect by demonstrating what outcome occurs when a particular factor is manipulated. Experiments vary greatly in their goal and scale, but always rely on repeatable procedure and logical analysis of the results."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Experiment
If Fair Game finds that explanation 'idiotic', it reflects on his understanding of science.
You actually believe you are a scientist when you are not one iota.

<Too late for you to face reality like the other deniers who dropped out before a concession>
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2013

Fair Game wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh you poor little thing?
Are you being bullied?
It's pretty obvious you are pitching your arguments to the less well educated, who won't know one end of a scientific argument from another, but hate being condescended to, and hate seeing another less well educated person being condescended to.
So you make stupid arguments knowing the less well educated won't spot how stupid they are, or won't care, and clutch your pearls and appeal for sympathy.
Just an appeal for the less smart to shoot themselves in the foot rather than listen to smart people you and they resent so much.
My sentiments as well. Great post!
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2013

mememine69 wrote:
<quoted text>to another poster:
Show me one single IPCC warning report not full of "maybes". Science has never said any crisis was certain, imminent, eventual,inevitable or "WILL" happen. Science says comet hits are a real eventual crisis and has NEVER said the same for climate change crisis. Prove me wrong!27 years of maybe means won't be. Deny that Doomer.
Look. You are boring and bored.

How about reading this for new vistas?

http://www.aip.org/history/climate/index.htm
Ready

Hertford, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2013

How about a world war that kills off 2 thirds of the world population. Maybe we need to go a little more letís take it down to 1 eighth of where it is now.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Level 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2013

SpaceBlues wrote:
You are clueless. Because you don't understand science, you post such nonsense.
I don't post 'evolution is an experiment', gcaveman1 does. Experiments are done by intent, with as much control as possible, they aren't done by nature.

If you disagree, then why don't you post a definition of experiment?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 32,741 - 32,760 of45,444
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

21 Users are viewing the Orlando Forum right now

Search the Orlando Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 18 min Incognito4Ever 1,071,797
CASEY: Does the State Have the Goods to Convict? (Mar '10) 1 hr Murphey_Law 482,895
___Justice For Caylee___Cont. (Feb '10) 4 hr Helena-Handbasket 25,465
Missing 5-year-old Florida girl likely was abdu... (Feb '09) 5 hr zazz 96,280
Inspiration Lane - Don't Quit (May '09) 9 hr Riverside 70,385
Disabled veteran and his service dog beaten by ... 11 hr matin wilkins 1
Let's Chat (Jan '12) 11 hr Maverick 808 17,549
•••
•••
•••
•••

Orlando Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000