Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt...

Full story: Newsday

When Bill Clinton took office in 1993, global warming was a slow-moving environmental problem that was easy to ignore.
Comments
31,281 - 31,300 of 45,875 Comments Last updated 2 hrs ago
Teddy R

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2012

Judged:

SpaceBlues wrote:
Hey, Teddy, the Chinese characters.
Now there's a wonderfully instructuve example of Chinese NON-innovation that proves my point. Thanks for citing it.

The first human written languages pretty much all were based upon various forms of pictograms - cuneiform, Sumerian, Egyptian hieroglyphics, Chinese pictograms and their various Asian derivatives (Japanese, Korean)- the list goes on and on. Wonderfully inventive creatures, in their time.

But thousands of years ago, most every culture on the planet abandoned cumbersome, impreceise, and clumsy pictograms in favor of the much more versatile and efficient phonetic alphabets that now dominate Human written communication.

That is, except for the Chinese.

Unable as a culture to stomach free innovation and all those things that come in the bargain, because they generally repudiate the Confucian values that have kept China stuck in a feudal stage, they are still using methods of written communication (i.e., pictograms) that were rendered obsolete a thousand years ago.

To be fair, one of the major obstacles that prevented China from dropping pictograms and moving to a modern phonetic alphabet was the fact that until the last century, while China shared a single written language (reserved to those literate few who were educated and could write), there were something like 200 different spoken languages in various areas of China. This made it impractical for them to effect a single written language based upon a phonetic alphabet. Since the PRC founding in 1949, the Chinese made great strides in promoting literacy and instruction of young people in a single uniform spoken form of Chinese (pudonghua, a simplified Mandarin), and today most educated Chinese do now share a single spoken Chinese language.
PHD

Bertram, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2012

Judged:

Teddy R wrote:
<quoted text>
No worries.
Outside of serial/recidivist Trolls (who are properly ignored altogether), I'm an equal-opportunity poster.
Sure you do. It incites you to read a response well than donít read it. Trolls oh yes we are as well as you.
Teddy R

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2012

Judged:

PHD wrote:
<quoted text>Sure you do. It incites you to read a response well than donít read it. Trolls oh yes we are as well as you.
Your point here, if indeed you had one, is lost somewhere amongst the fractured syntax and spelling/punctuation errors.

Would you like to try that one again in English this time? Or would you prefer I just ignore you?
PHD

Bertram, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2012

Judged:

Teddy R wrote:
<quoted text>
Your point here, if indeed you had one, is lost somewhere amongst the fractured syntax and spelling/punctuation errors.
Would you like to try that one again in English this time? Or would you prefer I just ignore you?
Ah the privilege of living in a free America. You can make that choice unless you would like me to make it for you. Sorry the simple English language confuses you. And your point if indeed you had one would be? Well not only fractured but fragmented as well. If this were an spelling grammer thread than maybe an extra effort would be appropriate.
cricket

Orlando, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2012

Judged:

roflmao

Global Warming Afforded Same Legal Status as Religion in UK

http://www.dailytech.com/Global+Warming+Affor...

A religious, fervent, fanatical & devoted belief.

roflmao.
PHD

Bertram, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2012

Judged:

How So?

Since: Mar 09

Wichita, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2012

Judged:

Teddy R wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course it's "all about money.' Where did you come by the bizarre idea that things were, or should be, otherwise?
Putting aside non-profits and those with some explicitly-stated humanitarian or charitable corporate mission, the sole purpose of a business is to maximize its shareholders' wealth, and its sole duty is to obey all applicable laws and regs. Period.
The notion that businesses have any other responsibility to pursue "American" interests or environmental or humanitarian missions is frankly naive nonsense. If these things help them maximize shareholder wealth, they can and generally will (if well-managed) do them. If not, not they shouldn't - and generally don't. One may as well expect a pig to sing.
That is exactly why the market cannot solve all our problems.
PHD

Bertram, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2012

Judged:

It's only a problem if you allow to be.
cricket

Orlando, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2012

Judged:

Fervent belief (faith) in what has already been scientifically proven to be wrong.

Do you also have the fervent belief that the hollow earth theory is real?

Why? Proof?

10 Most Famous Scientific Theories (That Turned out to be Wrong)

http://www.toptenz.net/top-10-most-famous-sci...

here's some more:
http://blog.chron.com/sciguy/2010/11/the-top-...

People used to believe that disease was transmitted by smell.

mmcc/cc will eventually join the list as one of the stupidest theories ever, that didn't pass even the most basic scientific smell test.
PHD

Bertram, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2012

Judged:

Science finds errors and make corrections to their errors to find that their corrections were in error.

Wichita, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2012

Judged:

cricket wrote:
Fervent belief (faith) in what has already been scientifically proven to be wrong.
Do you also have the fervent belief that the hollow earth theory is real?
Why? Proof?
10 Most Famous Scientific Theories (That Turned out to be Wrong)
http://www.toptenz.net/top-10-most-famous-sci...
here's some more:
http://blog.chron.com/sciguy/2010/11/the-top-...
People used to believe that disease was transmitted by smell.
mmcc/cc will eventually join the list as one of the stupidest theories ever, that didn't pass even the most basic scientific smell test.
Are you trying to say that science is more often wrong than right? Are you anti science?
PHD

Bertram, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2012

Judged:

Science finds errors and make corrections to their errors to find that their corrections were in error.
Teddy R

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2012

Judged:

PHD wrote:
<quoted text>Ah the privilege of living in a free America. You can make that choice unless you would like me to make it for you. Sorry the simple English language confuses you. And your point if indeed you had one would be? Well not only fractured but fragmented as well. If this were an spelling grammer thread than maybe an extra effort would be appropriate.
Okaayyy. I take it, then, that you had no point to make in your original post to me.

Thanks for making that clear.

Selah.
Teddy R

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2012

Judged:

Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
That is exactly why the market cannot solve all our problems.
Obviously.

Free markets aren't magic or all-powerful; they do one thing and really one thing only, but they do it better than any other means yet found - allocate economic goods and services optimally, maximizing aggregate economic output and the collective wealth of all participants in the economy.

If the solution to a problem involves fixing suboptimal or inefficient allocation of scarce economic goods and services, the the free market is the the first and best place to look to deliver a solution. If the markets are not working properly because of an identifiable market failure, like Government or somebody else (e.g. a monopoly or cartel) is meddling and tinkering and f**king up prices, you fix the failure if you can so the markets can get back to operating freely and efficiently.

But of course - if a societal problem does not have its root cause in some identifiable and fix-able market failure, one must look elsewhere for a solution.

“dening those who deny nature. ”

Level 1

Since: Jun 07

Norfolk va

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2012

Judged:

Northie wrote:
<quoted text>
I thought so. Tina so loves her SUV subsidy that she's contradicting her own hyperventilating over the national debt and subsidies to build renewable energy infrastructure. It's not welfare if it lines her own pockets, right?
As for all Tina's howls for the absolutely essential Christian rightness of SUVs for construction and farming, I wonder if she's aware that pickups are better for those tasks? So why do pickups get fewer subsidies? Maybe because suburban Republicans prefer SUVs, and they hold more political sway?
More like I would love to dump every subsidy and let the chips fall where they may. Of course the SUV would leave the EV behind at that point.

As for howling, I see you doing more howling because those little EV and renewable energy are failing even with plenty of subsidies trying to prop them up.

And, by the way, I am a Libertarian not a Republican. Which means I would love to see the government trimmed down to a more manageable size, see an end to all subsidies and if I had my way there would be entire government agencies trimmed out of existance.

“dening those who deny nature. ”

Level 1

Since: Jun 07

Norfolk va

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2012

Judged:

Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
I understand that money is all that you do understand. I suppose that you do not wish for America to innovate and develop, that this is best left to other countries such as China. That is a recipe for becoming a second rate country.
Who says he isn't interested in innovate and develop new things. The fact is that wind isn't new and neither is solar. The fact is that both have been tried in the past and suffered one major drawback, both are dependant on the weather.

The funny thing is that you and people like you are so intent on an agenda that you are even less interested in development. The EV could be a practical source if some innovations were developed but rather than do that you are more interested in shoving them onto the streets. Until they can come up with a practical energy storage solution. One that can be recharged from near zero to one hindred in minutes, provide similar ranges to a gasoline powered engine on one charge and can handle the real world which means someone who is driving with the windshield wipers, headlights, heater, and radio all going at the same time and provide more than a hour of drive time. That isn't drive time in sunny and seventy at the test track but stop and go driving then you have developed a practical EV.

Wichita, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2012

Judged:

Teddy R wrote:
<quoted text>
Obviously.
Free markets aren't magic or all-powerful; they do one thing and really one thing only, but they do it better than any other means yet found - allocate economic goods and services optimally, maximizing aggregate economic output and the collective wealth of all participants in the economy.
So back to the original idea. It is not all about money, is it?
PHD

Bertram, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 15, 2012

Judged:

Teddy R wrote:
<quoted text>
Okaayyy. I take it, then, that you had no point to make in your original post to me.
Thanks for making that clear.
Selah.
Goes hand in hand with your point. None, and thanks for making that clear to all.
Teddy R

Mclean, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 15, 2012

Judged:

PHD wrote:
<quoted text>Goes hand in hand with your point. None, and thanks for making that clear to all.
Troll. Ignored.
PHD

Bertram, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 15, 2012

Judged:

Teddy R wrote:
<quoted text>
Troll. Ignored.
But you replied. Now who is the TROLL why it's the "Teddy R".

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

40 Users are viewing the Orlando Forum right now

Search the Orlando Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min flack 1,083,342
Another Decent White America Murdered By BLACKS ! 34 min HangKillers 1
Orange Co Fl Sheriffs Department Is Very Danger... 38 min TheHeadMouse 1
What life is like for Casey Anthony 43 min marce-encore 59
Walt Disney Co Blackmails Boy Scouts Over Gay S... 54 min TheHeadMouse 1
Casey Anthony maintains baby sitter was not fab... 2 hr Winnipeg 169
Cave Exploration (Jan '14) 3 hr omegaltd 6
CASEY: Does the State Have the Goods to Convict? (Mar '10) 12 hr EXECUTE KID KILLERS 484,329
•••
•••
•••
•••

Orlando Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Orlando People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••