2 men charged with beating teen who egged Orland Park home

There are 20 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Nov 13, 2008, titled 2 men charged with beating teen who egged Orland Park home. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

Two men were charged with beating a 14-year-old boy who allegedly threw eggs at one man's Orland Park home, police said.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 8
Next Last
Nancy Mortonthal

Machesney Park, IL

#2 Nov 14, 2008
These two hooligans should be prosecuted to the full extent allowed by laws. Beating this teen is inexcusable. There are laws and police to take care of the prank actions of the teens. People who believe they are above the laws and can take vigilante action need prison time
MAD SHELLBACK

Kuwait, Kuwait

#3 Nov 14, 2008
How sick! You do not beat children for pranks. Many a kid has done these stupid acts. Make citizen arrest but do not beat. Even in Kuwait you do not beat the child. How terrible. Please put these men in jail for a monthor two and get taste of medicines. Bad men, bery vaery bad men. How pathetic and SICK.
MAD SHELLBACK

Kuwait, Kuwait

#4 Nov 14, 2008
If Iwere the Father of the tiny boy I would challenge to a duel these sick basturds.
Iwould bring the wepon of choice my fisticuffs and box the eardrums in or call poloceman to take away child beaters and put in th elockup to e seen naked by othermens.
Capn Subinnac

Chicago, IL

#6 Nov 14, 2008
Good. Maybe that little $hit learned his lesson. It's amazing that he defaced this man's home and he's the one getting charged. Ridiculous.
Capn Subinnac

Chicago, IL

#7 Nov 14, 2008
Obviously "Mad Shellback" has never had to clean egg off a house. You have no idea how much of a pain it is. And as for the kids, they should be beat by their parents yet. I don't know how things are in Kuwait, but here in the states that type of behavior from children is NOT tolerated.
MAD SHELLBACK

Kuwait, Kuwait

#9 Nov 14, 2008
Capn Subinnac wrote:
Obviously "Mad Shellback" has never had to clean egg off a house. You have no idea how much of a pain it is. And as for the kids, they should be beat by their parents yet. I don't know how things are in Kuwait, but here in the states that type of behavior from children is NOT tolerated.
You are not too bright are you? You are a child beater then? What is your major malfunction?
Sankar

Schaumburg, IL

#10 Nov 14, 2008
the poor kid will not eat eggs again
The Average You

Carol Stream, IL

#11 Nov 14, 2008
A large part of today's ills can be linked to our abject refusal of personal responsibility.
Are you folks saying that these guys should have called the police, or gone to the parents.
The police (should) have bigger fish to fry, so to speak. And could these guys give a complete enough ID to apprehend the kids? Probably not, since they egged and ran.
The parents would have said something like "I'll speak to little Satan about his behaviour." and that would be it.
Now the kid has a better reason than "mommy said don't", to remember not to throw eggs. And these guys should counter-sue for property damage.
disgusted

United States

#12 Nov 14, 2008
mad shellback seems to be two people, one a non-english speaker. Your version of a beating lands a kid in the hospital with life threatening injuries, he would NOT have been able to clean up the mess he made. This was more in the form of education. As someone who was terrorized by these types annually at both Halloween AND the Fourth of July because the vandals KNEW that Police response would be slow to non-existent, I hope they go for a jury trial - and I would NOT convict them.

IF you are REALLY a Shellback, their vandalism would NOT have been tolerated shipboard by superiors, and the "ceremony" that turned you from a pollywog to a shellback was worse than what that brat suffered. He was educated, not brutalized.

And a 14 year old is either a cocky 8 th grader or a High School freshman, usually capable of looking you straight in the eye. Either grade should know better
disgusted

United States

#13 Nov 14, 2008
I solved MY problem with a full-auto paintball gun, and some camo. It's quiet around here now.
Sublime1

Denver, CO

#14 Nov 14, 2008
The Average You wrote:
A large part of today's ills can be linked to our abject refusal of personal responsibility.
Are you folks saying that these guys should have called the police, or gone to the parents.
The police (should) have bigger fish to fry, so to speak. And could these guys give a complete enough ID to apprehend the kids? Probably not, since they egged and ran.
The parents would have said something like "I'll speak to little Satan about his behaviour." and that would be it.
Now the kid has a better reason than "mommy said don't", to remember not to throw eggs. And these guys should counter-sue for property damage.
Yeah, that sounds good and well, until dad shows up with a ball bat, 38 special, or his crew and kicks the living crap out of these two guys for beating up a little kid who made a mistake (as many kids do).

That is the problem with vigilante justice. And, really, if someone did that to my kid, I'd have a hard time resisting the urge and I'm not even one of the really crazy ones.

You just don't mess with peoples kids like that.

Since: Sep 08

Tinley Park, IL

#15 Nov 14, 2008
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, that sounds good and well, until dad shows up with a ball bat, 38 special, or his crew and kicks the living crap out of these two guys for beating up a little kid who made a mistake (as many kids do).
That is the problem with vigilante justice. And, really, if someone did that to my kid, I'd have a hard time resisting the urge and I'm not even one of the really crazy ones.
You just don't mess with peoples kids like that.
I agree with you 100%. If I was the parent of the boy, these two men in their 40s would come to regret their decision to put a hand on my child to the end of their days. So the lesson is, be careful what you dish out, it may come back one thousand fold.
Lesson Learned

Oak Forest, IL

#16 Nov 15, 2008
I bet that kid doesn't throw anymore eggs!!!

Tinley Park, IL

#17 Nov 15, 2008
Lesson Learned wrote:
I bet that kid doesn't throw anymore eggs!!!
Last night somebody threw the huge pumpkin we still had sitting in front of the house in my driveway and made a huge mess. It broke up into a huge mess and stained the driveway orange. I understand that this is not as bad as getting eggs on your house due to the damage eggs cause to a finish. I was mad, especially since I have an idea whose kids did that. The whole egg throwing incident came to my mind as I surveyed the damage. As mad as I was, I could not for the life of me, even for an instant think that I might hurt these kids in any way. Oh yes, I was contemplating talking to their parents but I would never hurt a kid no matter what.
Tough Guy

Monee, IL

#18 Nov 16, 2008
BEKL wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree with you 100%. If I was the parent of the boy, these two men in their 40s would come to regret their decision to put a hand on my child to the end of their days. So the lesson is, be careful what you dish out, it may come back one thousand fold.
Yea, I can see the guy shaking in his boots. What exactly would he regret to the end of their days?
What exactly would you do? Oh I know you would sue because your darling little angels feeling were hurt. I would love to be on that jury. You wouldn't get a dime. I would lock that jury up nice and tight so it would cost you legal fees and then maybe you and your little darling child would realize what he did was wrong. people work hard for their home. We don't need kids throwing anything at our homes. I hope the kid learned a lesson. The kid and his family should move on and get over it.

Or would you beat the guy with your broom after you landed? You don't scare anyone. The kid did not suffer any permanent or disfiguring damage.

Murphy

Machesney Park, IL

#19 Nov 16, 2008
Tough Guy wrote:
<quoted text>Yea, I can see the guy shaking in his boots. What exactly would he regret to the end of their days?
What exactly would you do? Oh I know you would sue because your darling little angels feeling were hurt. I would love to be on that jury. You wouldn't get a dime. I would lock that jury up nice and tight so it would cost you legal fees and then maybe you and your little darling child would realize what he did was wrong. people work hard for their home. We don't need kids throwing anything at our homes. I hope the kid learned a lesson. The kid and his family should move on and get over it.
Or would you beat the guy with your broom after you landed? You don't scare anyone. The kid did not suffer any permanent or disfiguring damage.
The two forty some year olds were arrested for breaking laws. Are you suggesting law breaking is okay if it fits your needs and wants? You must be some right wing anarchist. You and your ilk are a danger to AMERICA and to responsible AMERICANS.

Tinley Park, IL

#20 Nov 16, 2008
Tough Guy wrote:
<quoted text>Yea, I can see the guy shaking in his boots. What exactly would he regret to the end of their days?
I agree with you that "we don't need kids throwing anything at our homes". I myself have been the victim of egg throwing (not just once) and am familiar with the damage that the chemicals inside of eggs can do. It is not just a matter of cleaning up or hosing down the mess. Actually, since it is and has been such a common thing for kids to do, all schools should make it a part of their curriculum to educate children and their parents about this on an annual basis.
I STRONGLY oppose that the homeowner should be able to 'beat up' the 'egg thrower', though. That is a criminal act and needs to be addressed as such.
It has not been my intention to scare you or make "anybody shake in their boots". I simply stated what my course of action would be if anybody would feel at liberty to physically assault any of my children for whatever reason.
As to your comments about "locking up that jury" and how much it would cost me to entertain a lawsuit: evidently you are not familiar with these procedures.
The horror of being sued does not necessarily lie in whether or not we are guilty or what a jury might say. Most lawsuits never progress to a jury trial; they get settled because they have progressed to a point where it has become so prohibitively expensive for the defendant to proceed that his insurance company (if he has one) will attempt to settle. Believe me, being at the wrong end of a law suit can be a very nasty situation which nobody would like to find themselves in.
You Dont Know Me

Oak Forest, IL

#21 Nov 16, 2008
I think that the child should have been beaten by his parent too, that is just wrong to throw eggs at someone elses house. How would all of you guys feel if someone threw eggs at your house and made you clean it up, not knowing who did it.

Chicago, IL

#22 Nov 16, 2008
ďIt takes a village to raise a child.Ē
Weíve all heard this saying at some point in our lives.
When I was a child growing up, in my neighborhood where I reside even today in OF, it was a given that if one of us kids did something to deserve a smack upside the head, any parent took the liberty. All the parents on our block were pretty tight and knew each other well enough that they allowed this type of intervention when a specific childís parent was not around to discipline them. The parent of the child who got the smack was given the whole story as to why. There was never an incident that I knew of where a parent had a problem with that.
The function of physically disciplining a child carried over to extended family members, very close friends and teachers as well; at least in my world it did. I will never forget the teacher who spanked the bottom of one of my classmates in the first grade right in front of the whole class to see. The rest of us sure did think twice before planning on doing something stupid. Even at that time, it certainly would not have been acceptable if it was done by a stranger.
What these two men did was wrong. After apprehending the boy, they should have immediately called the police and had him arrested for vandalism of property and followed through by pressing charges. The childís parents would be responsible for any/all costs in repairing any damages caused by their child along with the parents properly disciplining him.
The days of sharing the responsibility of disciplining ones child with anyone outside of the immediate family have long been gone. This is just how the times are now. We have to respect each familyís choice of discipline as long as it doesnít cross the border into being abusive. A child can be abused in many ways, not just physically. The mental and emotional abuse of negative disciplining is just as bad. For example, when a child is told you are stupid; you wonít amount to anything; your brother/sister could do better than you; why arenít you as smart as your brother/sister; youíre the clumsiest person I know, etc. Do you get the idea? Even as adults, it hurts to hear these negative statements. Iím sure there are many of us who had heard similar remarks when we were children. Think back as to how it affected your self-esteem. Children are very sensitive, especially, when they are going through puberty. Well, thatís another subject.
I agree, violence begets violence if indeed it is a violent act. A mere spanking on the tush of a young toddler is seen by some as a violent act. On the other hand, there are others that believe if you spare the rod, you spoil the child. Basically, it all comes down to each parentís personal preference of how they want to discipline their child. The only stipulation is that it should not be in any way, shape or form mentally, emotionally or physically abusive. Physical abuse you can see with the naked eye, but unfortunately the mental/emotional abuse is much harder to pick up on.
Anyway, if we are to be an example to our children, we must act like the adults that we think we are at all times not just when it suits us. Our children see and hear everything; they begin to mimic us to the point it becomes a part of their character. If we expect our children to act responsibly, then we must show them through our actions how it is done.
al capone

Orland Park, IL

#23 Nov 16, 2008
ok heres what i think

and to the people who wanna accuse these men i would as well, but.........if they beat him dont you think he would have landed in the hospital?

Nothing states that he went to the emergency room or anything in the papers

As far as anyone knows the kid could have gotten his ass whooped by his dad or people he had problems with

Look at it this way.....the kid is 14 and two grown men who are proably 10 times the size beating him.....that sounds like complete bullshit....if i were in the kids shoes and i didnt wanna get into more trouble or get myself out of it i think i would say "yea they hit me" or some stupid bs lie.

C'mon people think logically here why isnt the kid in the hospital the day he was supposably beat? That would mean broken bones if anything.

All im saying is that ive been in situations like these and i would have done the same thing this little clown did.

I say to be sure get a lie detector on both the men and the kid.

And if you're going to court for this.....dont you bring witnesses????

unless this kid's mom was there in the mud and witnessed the beating....they dont have anything to show for.

People on the southside dont take any crap from anyone.....but these grown men beating a young 14 year old boy is hysterical to me...i think the kids bullshitting about this and he should literally get his ass kicked by his parents for egging that house on halloween

Oh btw.....dosnt trick or treating end at like 6 or 7pm??

where were the kids parents at the time??

im guessing drinking and partying...i say its the parents fault for not knowing where your kid is at nite especially when he's 14 and its halloween.

This is a waste of time and these people should settle this mutually.....the kid will spill his beans and then what do you do??

WASTE OF TIME......CONTROL UR DAMN KIDS AND NONE OF THIS WOULD HAVE HAPPENED.

i rest my case

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Orland Park Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Moody's Big Red Fire Truck (Aug '13) 1 hr No free lunch 28
Illinois sparks (Jul '12) 3 hr jason 30
Former Mokena Park Commissioner McJimpsey 3 hr Soccer Dad 30
Mokena Park Commissioner McJimpsy 3 hr Soon to be ex 9
Removed Why? For being TRUE? 4 hr MikeOnLawndale 1
Bruce Jenner seen on Rt. 30 8 hr Neighbor 11
Clinton Cash 8 hr Survey Says 22
More from around the web

Orland Park People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE