Gratitude for sacrifice

Gratitude for sacrifice

There are 45 comments on the The Morning Call story from Nov 12, 2007, titled Gratitude for sacrifice. In it, The Morning Call reports that:

Allentown's Grand Patriotic Parade on Sunday paid tribute to veterans who served the armed forces in war and peace with the usual flags, floats and too few spectators.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Morning Call.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
george patton

AOL

#3 Nov 12, 2007
time for your slap smed
Joe

Macungie, PA

#4 Nov 12, 2007
To be honest, I would have went but I didn't even know about it and I live a few blocks away.

This parade should have been promoted better.
Wilson

Monroe Township, NJ

#5 Nov 12, 2007
When I lived in Allentown, I thought I lived in a patriotic city but after moving to the Harrisburg area over 4 years ago, I was very surprised and happy to see the patriotism in this area. With Ft. Indiantown Gap 30 miles away, the Carlisle War College 10 miles away and the largest Naval Supply Depot in the eastern U.S. in Mechanicsburg, patriotism is very prevalent and alive here in south central Pa.

“Joey Chestnut is my hero”

Since: Feb 07

Whitehall, PA

#6 Nov 12, 2007
Smedley wrote:
bush, jr's war in iraq is illegal. If you fight in it, you are a war criminal. If you get hurt there, you get what you deserve.
I do not support the troops in iraq. Why enable war criminals?
Wow, I hope most of this post was intended as a joke, but... Smedley, one comment - Thanks to soldiers like those brave ones overseas, you can type a post like that and not have your fingers cut off.
Lincolnwaswrong

Zionhill, PA

#7 Nov 12, 2007
I hope a Marine comes to your house and kicks your A$$ from here to Iraq!!!! You freaking liberal loser! Feel free to get on a plane and leave this fine country! You are PATHETIC!!!!!
Smedley wrote:
bush, jr's war in iraq is illegal. If you fight in it, you are a war criminal. If you get hurt there, you get what you deserve.
I do not support the troops in iraq. Why enable war criminals?
Ya Ya

Bethlehem, PA

#8 Nov 12, 2007
What a bunch of aholes the protesters are... What an inappropriate forum for their grotesques display.

Obviously they do not support the troops.
Karl

Philadelphia, PA

#9 Nov 12, 2007
The Patriot wrote:
They won't come out to support the veterans but they sure came out in mass for the Puerto Rican Parade or the Hispanic Parade or whatever the correct name is now. But then again, that was for "their" country and this is not it. maybe they should all go back to where they came from and go to "their own" parades.
I guess the trick to get them out would have been to tell them there would be free food and government services. But then again, they already have all that.
Ahhhh Allentown. The haven.
So, what did you think was the best part of the parade?
student

Annapolis, MD

#11 Nov 12, 2007
I wanted to read about the parade that I didn't hear anything about and not about the bias reporting done to this event.
A VERY Proud Marine Wife

Macungie, PA

#12 Nov 12, 2007
Smedley wrote:
bush, jr's war in iraq is illegal. If you fight in it, you are a war criminal. If you get hurt there, you get what you deserve.
I do not support the troops in iraq. Why enable war criminals?
Dear Sir,
I do hope you read yesterdays business column in this paper because right there no page two you would see a picture of my husband SGT PATRICK T HERMAN USMC, One of these so called criminals and yes someone who was injured over there Im sure you are doing some sort of happy dance reading this but you truly make me sick. I really would like to meet you in a dark alley, not to beat the living snot out out of you, which because since you must hide behind your computer Im sure that even my three month old son could take you out, but to stare into your eyes and see what a true coward you are. Have you served in the Military do you have any family over there?? Id love for you to say yes,,, then I want you to answer a question for me, Tell me how to explain to my three year old daughter why Santa is not mad at her because Daddy cant come home this year. Im sure your answer would be completely unbiased and not one to make a child cry, or is that your MO, is that "how you roll" because Im sure you are some big tough guy. I am almost certain that there will be people who read your comment and want to rip you limb from limb but I shall not sink to your level. Instead I just feel sorry for you. One day all of your hatred will catch up on you.

Good Day,
Kimberly Herman
speedtats

Philadelphia, PA

#14 Nov 12, 2007
Veteren's day has nothing to do with whether or not this war or that war were illegal or not, which often comes down to the semantic definitions of defense and/or legality anyway. That's for the lying politicians and bean-counters to sort out.

The fact of the matter is that plenty of brave young men and women throughout the history of this country have gone and done what their county asked of them. That's what the day is about - celebrating their sacrifices and the sacrifices of their families, some of whom never got to say goodbye to those who gave all.

The heroes are always on the ground; the war criminals are in charge - always have been, always will be. Any good soldier in any army in the world knows this, including and especially ours.

Thank you to all the vets who serve with honor and valor doing what the jerks in charge are too scared and soft to do.
Military brat

AOL

#15 Nov 12, 2007
Kimberly
Please, please ignore Smed. He is a bitter lost man. He claims to have served and from some of his posts it sounds as if he resents our government for sending him to Nam and he might have a raging case of post traumatic. Anyway, please ignore it. Thank Your Husband for us for his service and may God bless that child of yours.

Sincerely,
MB
anthony m

United States

#16 Nov 12, 2007
In the words of Marvin Gaye" War is hell , when will it end. When will the people start getting together again or try this ; Brother ,. Brother there's too many of us dieing, war is not the answer. These are song lyrics from his famous music album " What's Going On ".
Now you understand the lack of interest when it comes to parade participation. I can stand and salute the men who served in the declared wars but how can anyone with any moral character stand up and salute the last 3 undeclared wars.
anthony m

United States

#17 Nov 12, 2007
To the very Proud Marine Wife,

Question.

If you sign up for military service and there is a war or so-called war and you have to go. Who fault is it that you are away for a certain length of time. Did not that person sign up to serve in the military which means if there is a possiblity of a war you may have to go.Now you want a clause that now says To apease you, they should just stop fighting during holidays so the soldiers can come home to visit with their families. Get Real!

“I've now been in 57 states”

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#18 Nov 12, 2007
Smedley wrote:
I'm a combat veteran of Vietnam, Beirut and Desert Storm.
I spent Veterans Day pissing on the graves of iraqi war criminals killed in bush, jr's illegal war. They should be dug up and reburied in iraq.
I also got my 10 percent discount at Home Depot with my military ID.
Regardless of whether or not you like the comments, you should like the fact that we can express our opinions.

For those of you that don't like free speech, then move to another country where your opinion is given to you.
A VERY Proud Marine Wife

Macungie, PA

#19 Nov 12, 2007
anthony m wrote:
To the very Proud Marine Wife,
Question.
If you sign up for military service and there is a war or so-called war and you have to go. Who fault is it that you are away for a certain length of time. Did not that person sign up to serve in the military which means if there is a possiblity of a war you may have to go.Now you want a clause that now says To apease you, they should just stop fighting during holidays so the soldiers can come home to visit with their families. Get Real!
Actually I am completely ok with the fact that my husband is over there for the holidays, does it suck well yes but are we getting over it yes. We have bought a tree to send we are making cards etc. Do I need to explain myself or my life to you? NO. My 3 year old does not understand why but Im sure if you had a three year old they would get what a war is right??? Never once would I say STOP THE WAR BRING HIM HOME FOR CHRISTMAS.. I simply said EXPLAIN TO MY DAUGHTER WHY, all I can tell her is Daddy is away helping Santa take care of other kids in Iraq. Is that dumb yes Im sure it is but to a kid who all they understand is Santa and that part of Christmas that was all the answer she needed. Perhaps next time you would kindly not read into posts before jumping down peoples throats.
Flash

King Of Prussia, PA

#20 Nov 12, 2007
To a very Proud Marine Wife...

Please ignore all of these arrogant unpatriotic fools who post on here. My gut reaction was to immediately post a reply to Smed for his hateful comments. However, he is not worth my time to do so.

You, however, I feel, deserve a very encouraging, respectful responce. You should always be very proud of what your husband does for our country (and I am sure you are). Here is a proud answer you can give your young daughter on why daddy cannot come home for Christmas. Tell her it is not because Santa doesn't like her, or that he thinks she did anything wrong. On the contrary, Santa is very proud of her for being a brave little girl & sharing her daddy with other people in the world. Her daddy is working to make it a safe place for other children so that Santa can visit them too.

God Bless & I will keep your husband in my thoughts for a safe return (my brother has already served one term over in Afghanistan & is preparing to head on over to Iraq soon - Army National Guard).

“Eventually all things must end”

Since: Aug 07

Lehigh Valley

#21 Nov 12, 2007
anthony m wrote:
In the words of Marvin Gaye" War is hell , when will it end. When will the people start getting together again or try this ; Brother ,. Brother there's too many of us dieing, war is not the answer. These are song lyrics from his famous music album " What's Going On ".
Now you understand the lack of interest when it comes to parade participation. I can stand and salute the men who served in the declared wars but how can anyone with any moral character stand up and salute the last 3 undeclared wars.
A couple of questions:
1. Can you count? There have been at least 4 major undeclared conflicts, as well as several minor ones since the United States last declared war.
2. Is a war still undeclared if the enemy has declared it? If so then the War on Terror is very precisely a declared one.
3. Do you belive that when you are confronted by an armed thug that you should respond by talking to him and not involve anyone who would physically protect you? Should we disarm the police? Send members of the military overseas to talk throough our diffences?
4. What in your opinion justifies a declaration of intent to go to war? You say you support those who have fought in the "Declared Wars", so I ask what is the difference in justification?
5. Do you understand the difference between saluting a war and saluting those who have fought to prosecute it?

“Eventually all things must end”

Since: Aug 07

Lehigh Valley

#22 Nov 12, 2007
anthony m wrote:
To the very Proud Marine Wife,
Question.
If you sign up for military service and there is a war or so-called war and you have to go. Who fault is it that you are away for a certain length of time. Did not that person sign up to serve in the military which means if there is a possiblity of a war you may have to go.Now you want a clause that now says To apease you, they should just stop fighting during holidays so the soldiers can come home to visit with their families. Get Real!
Question for you. Dou you think a member of the military can sign up and designate where or when he may be sent to combat? I don't think Kimberly expects that, she does however have the right to expect that once our leadership has decided to commit her husband to action, we the people should stand beside her and behind his efforts on our behalf. Remember he's fighting so that you don't have to.

“Eventually all things must end”

Since: Aug 07

Lehigh Valley

#23 Nov 12, 2007
anthony m wrote:
To the very Proud Marine Wife,
Question.
If you sign up for military service and there is a war or so-called war and you have to go. Who fault is it that you are away for a certain length of time. Did not that person sign up to serve in the military which means if there is a possiblity of a war you may have to go.Now you want a clause that now says To apease you, they should just stop fighting during holidays so the soldiers can come home to visit with their families. Get Real!
As to whose fault it is that he has to stay overseas during this time, I would answer that it is the fault of those who make it necessary for him to be deployed.

“Eventually all things must end”

Since: Aug 07

Lehigh Valley

#24 Nov 12, 2007
A VERY Proud Marine Wife wrote:
<quoted text>
Dear Sir,
I do hope you read yesterdays business column in this paper because right there no page two you would see a picture of my husband SGT PATRICK T HERMAN USMC, One of these so called criminals and yes someone who was injured over there Im sure you are doing some sort of happy dance reading this but you truly make me sick. I really would like to meet you in a dark alley, not to beat the living snot out out of you, which because since you must hide behind your computer Im sure that even my three month old son could take you out, but to stare into your eyes and see what a true coward you are. Have you served in the Military do you have any family over there?? Id love for you to say yes,,, then I want you to answer a question for me, Tell me how to explain to my three year old daughter why Santa is not mad at her because Daddy cant come home this year. Im sure your answer would be completely unbiased and not one to make a child cry, or is that your MO, is that "how you roll" because Im sure you are some big tough guy. I am almost certain that there will be people who read your comment and want to rip you limb from limb but I shall not sink to your level. Instead I just feel sorry for you. One day all of your hatred will catch up on you.
Good Day,
Kimberly Herman
I honor your husband and and everyone in your family for the sacrfices both big and small that you have made on our behalf, and would like to acknowledge that without the same men like Smedley would be killed by their masters for expressing their opinions. I wish all of you the best and hope for a speedy reunion of your family.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Orefield Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Texting may cause neck and spine injury (Nov '14) 10 hr Chiropractor From... 119
News Report: KidsPeace teens had sex (Feb '09) 14 hr Goodmom01 60
News Is it Leather Corners, or Leather Corner Post? (Jan '06) Apr 2 Denno329 12
News Did You Work for Free on Leap Day? Mar '16 fire Snedecker 1
News Police ID possible driver in Upper Macungie hit... Feb '16 Emma a P O S 1
News Allentown man spits on boss after being fired, ... Jan '16 pgh 2
News Geesey Reckless Burning at Northampton Pharmacy... (Feb '09) Dec '15 Candle man 33
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Orefield Mortgages