Our View

There are 23 comments on the The Morning Call story from Jan 6, 2009, titled Our View. In it, The Morning Call reports that:

The Lehigh County commissioners will be asked next week to increase the taxpayers' stake in the small zoo that a non-profit organization operates at the Trexler Nature Preserve near Orefield .

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Morning Call.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Nichibei

Yokosuka, Japan

#1 Jan 6, 2009
Who decided to put penguins or to make a zoo out of the Game Preserve? Is it necessary to have animals non-native to the environment of America in the "Trexler Game Preserve?" Would the elimination of exotic animal exhibits help in expenditure management? This sort of exhibit is costly. Exotic birds are not needed. How about some Pennsylvania turkeys, chipmunks, owls, pheasants, etc. This was the intention of General Trexler and somehow his legacy is lost on changing the Preserve to a Zoo.
Return to the original principle of the Trexler Game Preserve. The Preserve is a botanical treasure with tremendous potential in education. If closed I feel certain the state politicians will confiscate the land to turn it into a dam for Philly. They tried to do this once before. The engineering plans are in place. There is no doubt that this valuable treasure of nature will be taken and used for financial and political gain. The choice is yours.
Nichibei

Yokosuka, Japan

#2 Jan 6, 2009
More than ever this year, the courts, prison and badly underfunded human services must get the county's attention and funds.

This reads like Game Preserve or entitlements. Put the prisoners to work at the Preserve, in the parks, or anywhere to cut down on budget spending.

"If you feed them they will come." Absolutely out of control influx of immigrants and now our Game Preserve may be shut down to direct four hundred thousand dollars toward prison upkeep or taking care of the poor in search of a better life which means at my cost as a taxpayer. Please do not sacrifice the Preserve for county prisoners or misdirected welfare entitlements.
Truf dot com

Whitehall, PA

#3 Jan 6, 2009
I remember as a child going to the game preserve, I thought it was the neatest thing in the world, driving on those little back roads by the creek, those steep hillsides with deer, and the best part, when leaving the game preserve you went by the bison. I remember my Dad stopping the car and just sitting there watching those huge animals.

I wonder if any kids today will have those same memories 40 years from now... or if that fact that they just don't care about this type of thing is the root of the problem...
Resident of Pa

Pottstown, PA

#4 Jan 6, 2009
This zoo is a joke. If its a zoo then put in zoo animals, like monkeys, elephants, tigers. Took my grandchildren twice on two different occasions and it was awful. No petting zoo, no horse carriage rides. Please! If its a zoo turn it into a zoo, if not put it back as a game preserve with the original animals.
ingrid

Slatington, PA

#5 Jan 6, 2009
if we put a big cage around the east side of allentown, that could be the zoo. (but the animals will not be native) i think the lv zoo is a good place to take kids - my kids just love it. the size is small enough that you can walk around it in an hour or so, see some nice animals, and tire the kids out before their nap.
No Doubt About It

Allentown, PA

#6 Jan 6, 2009
Please close the zoo. The Philadelphia zoo is readily accessible. County funds could be used to do so much more good for the community as a whole.
Please close the zoo.
Bethlehem

Bethlehem, PA

#7 Jan 6, 2009
There use to be Monkeys but the people who took over got rid of them. When we went there were the birds not native to the area and special care needed. I think we saw a few maybe 2 wolves and the owls were in cages so small. I too took my children and grandchildren there years ago and it was great. Too many socialites running the Zoo now.
Buck 298

Greensboro, NC

#8 Jan 6, 2009
How about leaving it up to the taxpayers who actually PAY taxes.
Senor rodreegez

Palmerton, PA

#9 Jan 6, 2009
Look, I need to feed my familia. Put the animals to death, pluck, gut & boil them. I weel pick them up.
Hmmmmm

Bristol, PA

#10 Jan 6, 2009
Let's vote in a referendum on the zoo. Everyone who votes "yes" will pay.
Hmm

Easton, PA

#11 Jan 6, 2009
You know your family looks pretty tasty;
however, I have formulated from your comment that you have scrapies and should just be destroy from the planet.
Senor rodreegez wrote:
Look, I need to feed my familia. Put the animals to death, pluck, gut & boil them. I weel pick them up.
Franklin

Fairport, NY

#12 Jan 6, 2009
Hmmmmm wrote:
Let's vote in a referendum on the zoo. Everyone who votes "yes" will pay.
haha, this is not a bad idea! If only we could actually do things this way
Dr Feelgood

Coopersburg, PA

#13 Jan 6, 2009
cunningham has not expressed his position yet because he doesn't know what it is. He'll have to get his head out first.
joe poli

AOL

#14 Jan 6, 2009
I have fond memories of the game preserve; I took my daughter there in the mid 80s for pony rides when she was two years old. My wife's 6 year old neice was so plump the pony refused to move when she was on his back. We all had a good laugh that day; both me and the pony.
kids

United States

#15 Jan 6, 2009
i have been to the zoo several times. i think it is a nice zoo. i have never been to this zoo and seen a unhappy chil. the kids love the animals and i think it is a great small town zoo.

“aka MOB”

Since: Mar 07

Bethlehem

#16 Jan 6, 2009
its a nice little zoo and it would be a shame to see it close. If you feel the same become a member. With a membership you can also get discounted admissions to many other zoo's in the country....including Philadelphia Zoo
rif raff

North Wales, PA

#17 Jan 6, 2009
i would hate to see the zoo close after all these years but the society running it has very little knowledge on how to run zoos. the current curator has been doing a very good job but the zoo will never be competetive with other zoos in the area. the zoo will always require county money but the tune of $400,000 per year is just to much. they need to trim their budget, put animal knowledged people on the board, and ask the community for ideas to keep people copming
Affected owner

Allentown, PA

#18 Jan 6, 2009
Nice community zoo. Always have good times there with my kids. Raise annual membership fees and daily fees. Offer expanded corporate sponsorships. They should be able to get more that way. My two cents.

“aka MOB”

Since: Mar 07

Bethlehem

#19 Jan 7, 2009
I don't think we should be comparing the LV Zoo to the Philadelphia Zoo. They are no where near the size of that zoo and they are not pretending to be.

The LV Zoo is a nice way to spend a couple of hours on the weekend with the kids and still have time left over in the day for other plans. The Philly Zoo is an all day affair.

There is room for both they don't need to compete directly. In fact a membership to the LV Zoo gets you 50% off at the Philly Zoo.
scott

Easton, PA

#20 Jan 7, 2009
same could be said about the morning call, time to shut the paper down, not enough people are supporting the business, the owner is bankrupt, obviously the citizens do not want a newspaper in their community

furthermore, due to laws, it will be more expensive to close the zoo due to the relocation of animals (they are not allowed to kill em off) they have to be transported to other zoos (if they can find a zoo to take them) and that process may take a decade or longer and cost millions

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Orefield Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Texting may cause neck and spine injury (Nov '14) 13 hr Chiropractor From... 115
News Is it Leather Corners, or Leather Corner Post? (Jan '06) Apr 2 Denno329 12
News Did You Work for Free on Leap Day? Mar '16 fire Snedecker 1
News Report: KidsPeace teens had sex (Feb '09) Feb '16 CPH 59
News Police ID possible driver in Upper Macungie hit... Feb '16 Emma a P O S 1
News Allentown man spits on boss after being fired, ... Jan '16 pgh 2
News Geesey Reckless Burning at Northampton Pharmacy... (Feb '09) Dec '15 Candle man 33
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Orefield Mortgages