Lower Macungie may let Jaindl buy bac...

Lower Macungie may let Jaindl buy back farm

There are 21 comments on the The Morning Call story from Aug 26, 2008, titled Lower Macungie may let Jaindl buy back farm. In it, The Morning Call reports that:

Farmer and developer David Jaindl wants back a piece of the Leister farm in Lower Macungie Township that was taken from him three years ago and he may get it.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Morning Call.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Curious Questioner

Bath, PA

#1 Aug 26, 2008
Wait a minute? This land was taken from the original owner who was framing it, for SPORTS FIELDS? Then, it was never used for SPORTS FIELDS? Then it was leased to someone else to farm.

I think we have enough SPORTS FIELDS. Give it back to the rightful owner for goodness sakes. Can't the land be classified as farm preservation or something so it can't be sold to some developer?
wow

Allentown, PA

#2 Aug 26, 2008
this area lets the government walk all over them. i bet if the owner was PR it would not have happened
wow

Allentown, PA

#3 Aug 26, 2008
pr is bad
wow

Allentown, PA

#4 Aug 26, 2008
wow guess it is, mcall u suckle the tit of dead animals
wow

Allentown, PA

#5 Aug 26, 2008
opps tit is bad, i mean breast
mac8

AOL

#6 Aug 26, 2008
LMT has been destroyed by asphalt and roofing shingles. I been living here for almost 25 years, it's been destroyed. The Little Lehigh Creek is nothing more that a run off for mall parking lots, the land is ugly, even where the new 222 bypass meets there are houses in the clover leaf's. Maybe the TWP could build a golf course, create land for the adults, lets face it over 20 nobody plays soccer.
rover 77

Stroudsburg, PA

#7 Aug 26, 2008
this is just like the lehigh gorge project back in the 80's peoples land taken and nothing ever done with the property.just so someones relative can have a job patroling 26 miles of nothing.for the last 20 or more years give the people their property back or develope the property. who's pocket is all the money going into all these years?
Mom

Easton, PA

#8 Aug 26, 2008
How did the Leister farm that was donated to the Wildlands Conservancy ever get into the hands of Jaindl?
PhiPatch

Hazelwood, MO

#9 Aug 26, 2008
Its good to see that some public outcry can still make a difference. It may be wrong that the township "aquired" the property, but at least the space is being preserved. Let it stay as is, there are plenty of golf courses in the area, and far too many developments.
Amused Crack-er

Bethlehem, PA

#10 Aug 26, 2008
Jaindl would farm the land? Well, now, there's a switch. I thought Jaindl was too used to selling land for developments, so now he wants to look like the good guy.
HotAir

Allentown, PA

#11 Aug 26, 2008
Wind Farm, OK?

Since: Mar 07

Bethlehem, PA

#12 Aug 26, 2008
Amused Crack-er wrote:
Jaindl would farm the land? Well, now, there's a switch. I thought Jaindl was too used to selling land for developments, so now he wants to look like the good guy.

That's exactly why Jaindle wants it back. He probably has a developer interested, or plans to develop it himself.
Jade

Macungie, PA

#13 Aug 26, 2008
Mom wrote:
How did the Leister farm that was donated to the Wildlands Conservancy ever get into the hands of Jaindl?
That was the first question that came to my mind. How is the Jaindl family got into the picture?
Concerned in LMT

Bethlehem, PA

#14 Aug 26, 2008
This whole thing makes no sense- If it was the conservancy's to begin with then why did LMT pay Jaindl $700,000? Why would Jaindle sell it to begin with? Now why do they want it back? If Jaindl gets their hands on this land again there better be NO POSSIBLE way it can be developed.The residents of LMT deserve an in depth explaination on this (write it in the newsletter). LMT Board you are not looking any better then the old board. Someone or something is beginning to smell like a dead rat!

“Wie bist du?”

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#15 Aug 26, 2008
Mom wrote:
The land was not donated or sold to the Wildlands Conservancy, only an easement was donated. The easement gives the Wildland Conservancy control over how the land is used by the owner. Jaindl, who did purchase the land from the Leister estate, owned the land but could only use it for farming because the Wildlands owns the easement that restricts the use of the land. The previous owner, Mary Leister, wanted to assure that the property was only ever used for farming, but she still wanted to see the property sold so here heirs would inherit some money (the cash Jaindle paid for the property. Jaindle knew there was an easement restricting its use when he purchase the property and knew he could only use it for farming.

“Wie bist du?”

Location hidden

#16 Aug 26, 2008
LMT condemned the property and took it through eminent domain from Jaindl with the idea that they could use it for recreational purposes. The Wildlands Conservancy would not allow that to occur because the easement restricts use to agricultural use only. LMT had to abandon the use of the property for anything but passive recreational use. So...now Jaindl wants the land back.

“Wie bist du?”

Location hidden

#17 Aug 26, 2008
Don't dare sell the land back to Jaindl! Lease it too him, but don't sell it. You lose all control if you sell it back to him.

Make sure the lease agreement clearly states spells out...

No livestock (smelly turkeys or pigs, etc.), No structures, No silos, No buildings, No storage of Equipment...

for growing crops only!

“Wie bist du?”

Location hidden

#18 Aug 26, 2008
Concerned in LMT wrote:
This whole thing makes no sense- If it was the conservancy's to begin with then why did LMT pay Jaindl $700,000? Why would Jaindle sell it to begin with? Now why do they want it back? If Jaindl gets their hands on this land again there better be NO POSSIBLE way it can be developed.The residents of LMT deserve an in depth explaination on this (write it in the newsletter). LMT Board you are not looking any better then the old board. Someone or something is beginning to smell like a dead rat!
There is no dead rat, and this has nothing to do with the new Board of Commissioners other than they have to clean up the mess that the previous Board of Supervisors made of the situation.

I'm sure Jaindl is now the problem.

I'm sure Jaindl is threatening lawsuit over the taking of the land from him by force (eminent domain) and then not following through with the intended use for recreation. I say baloney! The land is still going to be used for educational and passive recreational purposes, so don't give it back to him.

The Board of Commissioners has to negotiate some kind of compromise with Jaindl to avoid costly litigation.

“Wie bist du?”

Location hidden

#19 Aug 26, 2008
The problem with giving the property back to Jaindl is that he is NOT a farmer.

He is an Agribusinessman. He farms on a large industrial scale and he does not just grow crops, he raises turkeys on a large (smelly) scale and most of his farm operations are like industrial sights rather than the "mom and pop farms" of yester-year.

Yet this kind of industrial agriculture activity could potentially occur on the Leister property because it might be the loophole the easement rights might not be able to prevent.

Since: Mar 07

Bethlehem, PA

#20 Aug 27, 2008
Isn't it a shame that a township has to crap its' pants fearing a lawsuit from an individual?

They should take the land through eminent domain for the preservation of open spaces and agriculture or recreational use.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Orefield Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Easy money Jul 11 Shell2142015 1
News Texting may cause neck and spine injury (Nov '14) Jul 10 chiropracticlocat... 122
News Allentown Man Fans Cash At Woman, She Tells Pol... (Dec '07) Jun '16 Wow 78
News Woman couldn't avoid hitting former Parkland co... (Jun '08) May '16 My sister 130
News NORC Poll: Voters interested, not excited about... May '16 WasteWater 1
News Macungie martial arts instructor charged with i... (Sep '11) May '16 Law guy 5
News Report: KidsPeace teens had sex (Feb '09) May '16 Goodmom01 60

Orefield Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Orefield Mortgages