Families and children in the region n...

Families and children in the region need KidsPeace to improve ....

There are 26 comments on the The Morning Call story from Dec 21, 2007, titled Families and children in the region need KidsPeace to improve ..... In it, The Morning Call reports that:

There's an impulse in modern thinking that misplaces blame when the worst confronts our communities.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Morning Call.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
TeenCentral Fan

Schnecksville, PA

#21 Dec 24, 2007
Rick wrote:
<quoted text>
And I believe that since Teencentral Fan's post comes from Schnecksville she/he is probably a Kidspeace employee. who feels they have to justify there job.
Never worked a day in my life at KidsPeace....just had the honor of being a volunteer for TeenCentral! Maybe you should try being a volunteer...might make you feel better about yourself!
once was helped

United States

#22 Dec 24, 2007
Rick wrote:
<quoted text>
And I believe that since Teencentral Fan's post comes from Schnecksville she/he is probably a Kidspeace employee. who feels they have to justify there job.
Yeah, everyone who lives in Schnecksville works at KP. If you read their post, they acknowledge that they have been a VOLUNTEER/BOARD MEMBER for TeenCentral.Net . Again, I guess your anger and/or hostility towards KP blinds you. That's really unfortunate. Perhaps you should find a way to channel all of that energy into something worth while that actually is part of the solution vs. being part of the problem. I bet you'd be great at it if you did.
The Truth

Philadelphia, PA

#23 Dec 29, 2007
John wrote:
What? Saying that a staff "can't simply walk away from these confrontations" is not an excuse to smother a child to death, which is what happened in '93 and '98. The population at KidsPeace is no different than any other residential and inpatient program in this state yet their name keeps coming up whenever there are injuries from restraints.. The staff that work the floors at KidsPeace have a responsibility in this mess as does the leadership. Lets not try to blame the kids for this because there are plenty of programs out there that managed to handle these kids without killing them.
No one is trying to blame the kids. The staff have a tremendous responsibility. just as firefighters do. Even though they didn't ignite the fire, they are responsible for saving lives from it, and risk injury or death themselves in the process. Not all can be saved, and it is always a life changing tragedy. And no there are not "other programs that managed to handle the kids without killing them". KidsPeace is where the kids those "other facilities" send the ones they cannot handle to. See the issue here?
The Truth

Philadelphia, PA

#24 Dec 29, 2007
Rick wrote:
<quoted text>
I DO KNOW THAT YOU WILL NEVER SEE A VERDICT LIKE THIS IN THE LEHIGH VALLEY
Former Institution Worker Gets Maximum Sentence For Restraint Death
By Dave Reynolds, Inclusion Daily Express
December 17, 2007
ALBANY, NEW YORK--A former employee of O.D. Heck Developmental Center was sentenced Friday to the maximum allowed under New York law for "squeezing the life out" of a 13-year-old resident in the back of a van.
Acting state Supreme Court Justice Dan Lamont sentenced Edwin Tirado, 36, to between 5 and 15 years in prison for manslaughter in the restraint-related death of Jonathan Carey.
A jury convicted Tirado after hearing testimony that he restrained Carey, who had been diagnosed with autism and mental retardation, while coworker Nadeem Mall was shopping during a February 15 outing. During the restraint, the teenager stopped breathing and lost consciousness.
So are you saying that you trust the integrity of everyone in the Lehigh Valley to never do such a thing, that the Prosecutors, Judges in this area are incompetent, or that the Defense Attorneys are exceptionally good areound here?
The Truth

Philadelphia, PA

#25 Dec 29, 2007
teen central wrote:
<quoted text>
not run by KP staff. in fact a while ago they stopped paying kp staff to monitor the site and eventually , most left. now the site is monitored by college students...and now you know the truth
No, now you do not know the truth. It is run by staff, who VOLUNTEER their time. KidsPeace staff volunteering theor time??!! How DARE THEY!!!!! What horrible people they must be for Maters Level profewssionals to give their time and talents away despite not being paid! Thanks for shedding light on this terrible crime. Hopefully this madness can be stopped, and no one will give away anything any more!
lala

Macungie, PA

#26 May 2, 2008
Rick wrote:
<quoted text>
I also know that college students probably aren't qualified to councel troubles youths.
So you need a degree to give advice? It's not heavy counseling we're doing on TeenCentral.net . We simply read their stories, throw out suggestions, and when needed contact the appropriate people if we suspect the child is in danger. Just because college students are volunteering doesn't mean they don't know what they're talking about. The majority of the kids that go on their talk about things such as relationship problems, family quarrels, etc. Not all of them go on there talking about a crisis they are having that will require professional help so I think in most cases, the college students ARE qualified to counsel troubled youths. I'm sure most of college students have had the same problems as the kids that are writing in so the advice can come from personal experience.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Orefield Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News What About Bobby Bones? (Jun '17) 23 hr Nana 10
News No Duquesne City Students in Baldwin-Whitehall ... (Mar '13) Jan 19 UnDoc Risha 29
News Fighting sales from puppy mills (Jan '09) Jan 9 LVPMWatch 240
News Woman drove drunk with 3 children in car, cops say Jan 2 Richard Kranium 1
News Former PA Firefighter Admits Theft While in Uni... Dec '17 weapon X 5
News Is it Leather Corners, or Leather Corner Post? (Jan '06) Dec '17 pinda linda 13
News Woman caught in compromising position outside Wawa (Sep '16) Oct '17 Terry 8

Orefield Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Orefield Mortgages