Families and children in the region n...

Families and children in the region need KidsPeace to improve ....

There are 26 comments on the The Morning Call story from Dec 21, 2007, titled Families and children in the region need KidsPeace to improve ..... In it, The Morning Call reports that:

There's an impulse in modern thinking that misplaces blame when the worst confronts our communities.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Morning Call.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
WOW

Northampton, PA

#1 Dec 21, 2007
They are a top heavy company - and the kids don't come out any better - The parents need to get off their a**es and start taking notice and care of their children and their won't be a need for this type of facility
Big D

San Francisco, CA

#2 Dec 21, 2007
I agree, however, as a former employee, there were success stories. Many stories of a child coming into treatment with an attitude of F the world and everyone in it. These same children left knowing that it is not the world's fault for what happened to them, and becasme productive citizens. Now don't get me wrong, there were many stories of horror and many children that left there that were not better or in fact worse learning from other children on the units, but as a great man said one time "If I can save just one out of every 10 children in need, I have helped change the world!!"
John

Allentown, PA

#3 Dec 21, 2007
I wholeheartedly agree...Let's not throw out the baby with the bathwater.

Make those changes that are practical and feasible, but to sit on your high horse in Harrisburg and play God, when others are risking life and limb with violent juvi offenders, and take the tools & methods that are sometimes NECESSARY to deal with these type individuals away, is both reckless AND downright DANGEROUS. I think he should spend some time 'in the trenches' with these kids, before passing 'final judgment' on methods and practices. Might see things a BIT differently, I am willing to bet...Just my .02.

Keep up the good work, KidsPeace! If they don't, WHO WILL??? Our lovely prison system, and we ALL know how well THAT works...AND they don't worry very much about 'restraining' either...
John

Philadelphia, PA

#4 Dec 21, 2007
What? Saying that a staff "can't simply walk away from these confrontations" is not an excuse to smother a child to death, which is what happened in '93 and '98. The population at KidsPeace is no different than any other residential and inpatient program in this state yet their name keeps coming up whenever there are injuries from restraints.. The staff that work the floors at KidsPeace have a responsibility in this mess as does the leadership. Lets not try to blame the kids for this because there are plenty of programs out there that managed to handle these kids without killing them.
OH NO

Nazareth, PA

#5 Dec 21, 2007
Get ready KidSPeace employees. I smell lay offs after the New Year.
A Fan of KP

United States

#6 Dec 21, 2007
I confess, I'm a fan of KidsPeace and believe that their policies and practices are appropriate. Sure, people get hurt, sometimes there are fatalities, but I believe in my heart that kids are being cared for as best as possible.

That said, I wanted to mention that a friend of mine told me all about a site that is hosted/owned by KidsPeace called TeenCentral.net . It is free to kids and provides a place for them to talk about their troubles in a safe and controlled environment. I thoroughly looked at the site and decided to tell my teenage kids about it. In fact, I encouraged them to visit the site to understand what other kids are going through, and that they aren't alone. My kids visit the site now and offer their advice and opinions to other kids in need. It is such a great concept, I wish all kids entering their preteen and teen years knew about it.

I'm 46 now and thought I knew everything there is to know about being a teenager. Peer pressure, drugs and alcohol, trying to fit in with other kids, etc. Let me tell you all something right now... you have NO idea how confusing and complicated things are for kids now. The internet, cell phones with video capture, instant messaging, and youtube, etc. have changed the social dynamic in ways we cannot even begin to imagine. If you visit the teencentral.net site, do yourself a favor and click on the 'Latest Teen Stories' link. Read the topics that kids are submitting. It is chilling, upsetting and eye-opening. If you have a teenager, this site and the stories that are found within it can open the door to conversations that are important to both of you.

I've rambled enough. Like I said, I'm a fan of KidsPeace and TeenCentral.net and believe in them very much. Thank you for your time.
Rick

United States

#7 Dec 21, 2007
A Fan of KP wrote:
I confess, I'm a fan of KidsPeace and believe that their policies and practices are appropriate. Sure, people get hurt, sometimes there are fatalities, but I believe in my heart that kids are being cared for as best as possible.
That said, I wanted to mention that a friend of mine told me all about a site that is hosted/owned by KidsPeace called TeenCentral.net . It is free to kids and provides a place for them to talk about their troubles in a safe and controlled environment. I thoroughly looked at the site and decided to tell my teenage kids about it. In fact, I encouraged them to visit the site to understand what other kids are going through, and that they aren't alone. My kids visit the site now and offer their advice and opinions to other kids in need. It is such a great concept, I wish all kids entering their preteen and teen years knew about it.
I'm 46 now and thought I knew everything there is to know about being a teenager. Peer pressure, drugs and alcohol, trying to fit in with other kids, etc. Let me tell you all something right now... you have NO idea how confusing and complicated things are for kids now. The internet, cell phones with video capture, instant messaging, and youtube, etc. have changed the social dynamic in ways we cannot even begin to imagine. If you visit the teencentral.net site, do yourself a favor and click on the 'Latest Teen Stories' link. Read the topics that kids are submitting. It is chilling, upsetting and eye-opening. If you have a teenager, this site and the stories that are found within it can open the door to conversations that are important to both of you.
I've rambled enough. Like I said, I'm a fan of KidsPeace and TeenCentral.net and believe in them very much. Thank you for your time.
Just what would you consider an acceptable body count?
What is a "safe" rate of injuries?
Rick

United States

#8 Dec 21, 2007
A Fan of KP wrote:
I have to ask. What are your kids qualifications to give advice to kids in need?
John

Philadelphia, PA

#9 Dec 22, 2007
Hey KP fan: There should never be deaths caused by restraints.
teen central

Nazareth, PA

#10 Dec 22, 2007
A Fan of KP wrote:
not run by KP staff. in fact a while ago they stopped paying kp staff to monitor the site and eventually , most left. now the site is monitored by college students...and now you know the truth
once was helped

United States

#11 Dec 22, 2007
I have been reading all this back and forth about KidsPeace and I am amazed by the garbage people spew due to lack of knowledge or a personal vengence. I agree, kids should not die while at a facility that is supposed to be helping them. But, sometimes tragedy can not be prevented. They kids were being restrained for a reason, they fought the restrained and as a result things got out of hand. Would it be better if the staff did nothing and allowed these kids to harm themselves or others? I know first hand about how the staff at KP works with kids because I was one of those kids and I thank God that KP was there to help me. Have any of you nay sayers ever really thought about the number of kids that are helped because of KP? And beyond that, other than critizing those who are trying to help this kids, what have you done to help a kid facing crisis?

BTW...TeenCentral.Net is not monitored by college kids. Yes, there are college kids and volunteers who do some of the counseling, but NOTHING goes on that site without being reviewed by a KidsPeace employee that holds at least a Master's Degree. Yet again, a comment by someone who either has an issue with KP or is ill informed.
once was helped

United States

#12 Dec 22, 2007
Rick wrote:
<quoted text>
I have to ask. What are your kids qualifications to give advice to kids in need?
Who can relate to a teen better than another teen? At least by offering and receiving advice via a venue like TeenCentral.Net these kids know they are getting accurate advice. It's not like myspace where kids can post whatever they want. As I said before, nothing - including teens advice to other teens - goes on that site without be reviewed by someone with a Master's level for appropriateness. I know this because at one time I was a volunteer on the site and still help out when I can. In addition to everything being reviewed prior to being posted, the site is anonymous. KP may not be perfect, but this site is something they do right.
TeenCentral Fan

Schnecksville, PA

#13 Dec 22, 2007
I have been a Teen Central volunteer/board member for years and know for a fact that this site is not run by college students. Yes many college students are involved because TeenCentral is part of the curriculum at Lehigh University, LCCC & Cedar Crest. The students write the responses to the teens BUT every response is reviewed by a master's level staff member or Dr. Julius Licata who has been running TeenCentral since it began. It is monitored for inappropriate language, personal information, etc. but offers teens a place to seek guidance when they don't feel they have anyone else they can turn to. TeenCentral receives 2 million hits a month and it used by teens all over the world and there's no charge!
A Fan of KP

United States

#14 Dec 22, 2007
Others answered some of the questions for me already.

My teens are qualified to share their opinions and life stories because they are the peers of the teens in crisis. My teens CAN relate and can offer advice and hope and encouragement. I think their replies can be more powerful than the counselors and clinicians who manage the site.

Someone asked, "What is a "Safe" rate of injuries"? Well, having the kids in their homes, being properly parented and/or medicated, I suppose, would be a good, safe scenario. Since the kids are unable to be cared for at home - because they are a DANGER to THEMSELVES OR OTHERS, KidsPeace has accepted the job of caring for them and working with their illnesses. Accepting that challenge isn't easy, and there are risks involved, wouldn't you agree?

Risks for the kids, risks for the staff members, risks for the parents. All around, it isn't a PERFECT situation, is it?

KidsPeace risks being sued and risks public scrutiny when the kids in their care are injured.

Kids risk being injured when they try to hurt themselves or others, despite several levels of verbal and then physical restraint.

Someone said, "There should never be death as a result of being restrained". I agree, there should never be death. However, broken bones? I can see that happening. Falling and getting cut or bruised? Ya, I can understand that as well.

I spoke with someone at my current employer who used to be a staff member inside the residential areas. I heard about stabbing attempts towards other kids and staff members, kids trying to rape other kids, and worse. Adult staff members aren't paid a ton of money to do this dangerous job. They put their lives at risk to keep watch over kids that parents have been unable to care for or control. Then when something bad happens, something that was truly an accident, the parent (sometimes) swoops in and cries foul, often cashing in on the incident and giving negative press to KP.

You know, I realize that nothing I say is going to change the minds of those who hate KidsPeace for whatever reason. I'm not trying not convert anyone. I'm just offering my opinion and personal experience with their organization.
Rick

United States

#15 Dec 23, 2007
TeenCentral Fan wrote:
I have been a Teen Central volunteer/board member for years and know for a fact that this site is not run by college students. Yes many college students are involved because TeenCentral is part of the curriculum at Lehigh University, LCCC & Cedar Crest. The students write the responses to the teens BUT every response is reviewed by a master's level staff member or Dr. Julius Licata who has been running TeenCentral since it began. It is monitored for inappropriate language, personal information, etc. but offers teens a place to seek guidance when they don't feel they have anyone else they can turn to. TeenCentral receives 2 million hits a month and it used by teens all over the world and there's no charge!
Two million hits a month? WOW! Dr. Licata and the "masters level" monitors must be very busy.
If there were 100 people doing this monitoring, that means they would each have to deal with 200,000 posts every month.
TeenCentral Fan

Schnecksville, PA

#16 Dec 23, 2007
Rick wrote:
<quoted text>
Two million hits a month? WOW! Dr. Licata and the "masters level" monitors must be very busy.
If there were 100 people doing this monitoring, that means they would each have to deal with 200,000 posts every month.
Not all "hits" to the site ask for advice, they can go on and check out reponses to the same type of problem they might be having. Dr. Licata and his volunteers are very busy helping teens 24 hrs. a day 7 days a week. Have you logged on the site and checked it out....probably not since your too busy writing about something you know nothing about!
Rick

United States

#17 Dec 23, 2007
TeenCentral Fan wrote:
<quoted text>
Not all "hits" to the site ask for advice, they can go on and check out reponses to the same type of problem they might be having. Dr. Licata and his volunteers are very busy helping teens 24 hrs. a day 7 days a week. Have you logged on the site and checked it out....probably not since your too busy writing about something you know nothing about!
Something I know nothing about????
I have been researching restraint injuries and deaths for almost 15 years.
I also know that college students probably aren't qualified to councel troubles youths.
Rick

United States

#18 Dec 23, 2007
TeenCentral Fan wrote:
<quoted text>
I DO KNOW THAT YOU WILL NEVER SEE A VERDICT LIKE THIS IN THE LEHIGH VALLEY
Former Institution Worker Gets Maximum Sentence For Restraint Death
By Dave Reynolds, Inclusion Daily Express
December 17, 2007

ALBANY, NEW YORK--A former employee of O.D. Heck Developmental Center was sentenced Friday to the maximum allowed under New York law for "squeezing the life out" of a 13-year-old resident in the back of a van.

Acting state Supreme Court Justice Dan Lamont sentenced Edwin Tirado, 36, to between 5 and 15 years in prison for manslaughter in the restraint-related death of Jonathan Carey.

A jury convicted Tirado after hearing testimony that he restrained Carey, who had been diagnosed with autism and mental retardation, while coworker Nadeem Mall was shopping during a February 15 outing. During the restraint, the teenager stopped breathing and lost consciousness.
once was helped

United States

#19 Dec 23, 2007
Rick wrote:
<quoted text>
Something I know nothing about????
I have been researching restraint injuries and deaths for almost 15 years.
I also know that college students probably aren't qualified to councel troubles youths.
I believe that TeenCentral Fan was referring to your lack of knowledge regarding the number of hits vs. stories submitted to TeenCentral.Net .

TeenCentral.Net is a great resource for teens and if you could get past your anger, you might be able see that. But as KP Fan said, you'll believe what you want to believe and I will continue to feel how I do. I just think it is unfortunate to miss out on something that is genuinely positive because you are blinded by anger. I wish you well.
Rick

United States

#20 Dec 24, 2007
once was helped wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe that TeenCentral Fan was referring to your lack of knowledge regarding the number of hits vs. stories submitted to TeenCentral.Net .
TeenCentral.Net is a great resource for teens and if you could get past your anger, you might be able see that. But as KP Fan said, you'll believe what you want to believe and I will continue to feel how I do. I just think it is unfortunate to miss out on something that is genuinely positive because you are blinded by anger. I wish you well.
And I believe that since Teencentral Fan's post comes from Schnecksville she/he is probably a Kidspeace employee. who feels they have to justify there job.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Orefield Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Driver with 4 pending DUI cases gets 5th case t... Jun 15 weaponX 5
News Allentown Child Drowned In Bathtub, Coroner Say... (Mar '07) Jun 6 weaponX 36
Cosplay in Coplay, PA Apr '17 pervert panda 1
News No Duquesne City Students in Baldwin-Whitehall ... (Mar '13) Feb '17 TAG 12
News Two get probation in Pa. streetlight... Jan '17 silly rabbit 1
News Report: KidsPeace teens had sex (Feb '09) Dec '16 Bulldog mom 61
News Judge approves release of Dennis Gumbs (May '08) Dec '16 The real me 72

Orefield Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Orefield Mortgages