Heat bills soaring out of reach

As families struggle with a combination of high heating costs and a shaky economy, more customer accounts are falling delinquent, according to utilities and heating fuel dealers. Read more
broken

Emmaus, PA

#1 Feb 17, 2008
If you were not already aware of this situation, you must have been living in a bubble the past couple of years. Sadly, ways to keep your costs down were excluded from the article. While most of us already know how we can keep our energy costs down, there is always someone walking around clueless out there. I for one can't wait until I can pack away my long underwear.
moral hazard

Bethlehem, PA

#2 Feb 17, 2008
This issue will force many more people into poverty in coming years. It will become a political back-breaker for both major parties, neither of which can summon the courage to tell the American people the truth--that net energy availability for transportation, electricity generation and heating has peaked and begun to decline. At the same time demand from China, India and other developing nations is increasing, putting even greater squeeze on supplies, thus increasing prices further.
Rather than an honest discussion of our energy predicament, we'll be hearing more demagoguery about drilling our way to "energy independence"--which is impossible.
We'll hear all kinds of explanations for the coming depression except the correct one: that there is no longer enough energy to fuel exponential economic growth.
Morons

Easton, PA

#3 Feb 17, 2008
If you control your finger on the thermostat and set it at 70/72 and get a budget for the year, you'll have no problem to your heating.

I see in places that include the heat in your rent, people are apt to just leave the heat blare, for they aren't really paying for it, just in their rent.

I am sick of the people who don't give a crap about the ones that conserve, and then go for heat assistance (mostly the low income people qualify only).

Grow the hell up and act like Adults and help everyone out. I am sick of paying high utilities bills because they squeeze the hell out of me and others to pay for the morons that don't care. That said now do your job

Since: Jul 07

Sparta, NJ

#4 Feb 17, 2008
Morons wrote:
If you control your finger on the thermostat and set it at 70/72 and get a budget for the year, you'll have no problem to your heating.
I see in places that include the heat in your rent, people are apt to just leave the heat blare, for they aren't really paying for it, just in their rent.
I am sick of the people who don't give a crap about the ones that conserve, and then go for heat assistance (mostly the low income people qualify only).
Grow the hell up and act like Adults and help everyone out. I am sick of paying high utilities bills because they squeeze the hell out of me and others to pay for the morons that don't care. That said now do your job
My sentiments exactly! Some people are low income but they keep getting, and getting and getting my hard earned tax dollars! I donít receive nor ever have I received any type of government aid. My heat is set to 68, I put on an extra shirt if I get chilled, I donít put my hand out and ask for more of everybodyís hard earned tax money form LIHEAP!

DK Eastsider

Line Lexington, PA

#5 Feb 17, 2008
This miserey,like all missery is self inflicted.The wack jobs that claim we are running out of oil have been brain washed into stupidity,there is plenty of energy available but we are not permitted to go and get it,so suffer people and keep hoping for the so call alternative sources that you have been promised and keep voting for the people that are sucking your wallet dry (democrates)
DK Eastsider

Line Lexington, PA

#6 Feb 17, 2008
Notice that everybody hates the oil company for making 10 billion dollars at 7 cents per gallon sold,(They have to find it,drill for it,retrieve it,transport it to the refinery,refine it, transport it to the pump) but has no problem with the government making 44 billion dollars even though they did nothing to get the energy product to the consumer.The result of 45 years of effective brain washing from our friends in the government and press.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Orefield Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Tamaqua drug sweep nets 20 (Jun '14) Mar 16 Richard Kranium 40
News Is there a fix to car-jarring deep manhole covers? (Dec '07) Mar 12 David Abbott 9
News North Whitehall Teen Found Dead in Car, Police ... Feb '15 silly rabbit 2
News There's gold in them thar jewelry boxes (Mar '08) Jan '15 maryjaneprincton 8
News KidsPeace told to make changes -- themorningcal... (Sep '07) Dec '14 Red 214
News Allentown City Council approves appointment of ... Dec '14 silly rabbit 1
News Four charged with DUI placed in Carbon... (Aug '14) Aug '14 do what robin did 2
Orefield Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Orefield People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]