Clarify the assisted suicide debate

Clarify the assisted suicide debate

There are 9 comments on the The Morning Call story from Aug 9, 2009, titled Clarify the assisted suicide debate. In it, The Morning Call reports that:

T here is a good way to resolve a large part of the debate over legalizing physician-assisted suicide.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Morning Call.

Bethlehem

Bethlehem, PA

#1 Aug 9, 2009
How many Doctors do you know that are not in it for the money? I only know a few and they are fading fast. If you disagree they why are there signs posted you must pay first before you see the Doctor. As for assisted help to end your suffering, Why do we have Hospice ? It is a place where you go to die, just run by Doctor's.
gks42

Johnstown, PA

#2 Aug 9, 2009
I said it before, I will say it again, the fifth commandment, "THOU SHALT NOT KILL"!!!!!!
Lucy in the Sky

Allentown, PA

#3 Aug 9, 2009
Mr. Carpenter, your comments about abortion and assisted suicide are troubling especially when you factor in the classic version of the Hippocratic Oath. Today’s graduates use the modern version that does NOT speak out against abortion specifically. The classic version of the Oath was written by men for men. Perhaps, you need to move into the 21st century.

Further, you comments are troubling because you have a bully pulpit from which to write some of the same absurdities that protesters shout at the Allentown Womens Center. Instead of writing about the emotional and physical complexities of decisions that people must make, you spout off the same tired rhetoric of antichoicers. Many of them yammer on and on about how much money AWC is making but fail to admit that the money they’ve made from past lawsuits with the city of Allentown. Or like in the lastest lawsuit, Joyce Mazalewski, and two previous lawsuit winners, Kathleen Kuhns and Kathleen Teay, are filing for $200, 000. You worry about profits but fail to acknowledge that health care clinics provide health care beyond abortion. You fail to mention that health care clinic staff should be paid like you get paid for your work. And because of your bully pulpit, you push your misogynist agenda and further stigmatize abortion, a legal, safe and common procedure hat over a million women choose to have.
Modern Hippocratic Oath

Allentown, PA

#4 Aug 9, 2009
I swear to fulfill, to the best of my ability and judgment, this covenant:
I will respect the hard-won scientific gains of those physicians in whose steps I walk, and gladly share such knowledge as is mine with those who are to follow.
I will apply, for the benefit of the sick, all measures [that] are required, avoiding those twin traps of overtreatment and therapeutic nihilism.
I will remember that there is art to medicine as well as science, and that warmth, sympathy, and understanding may outweigh the surgeon's knife or the chemist's drug.
I will not be ashamed to say "I know not," nor will I fail to call in my colleagues when the skills of another are needed for a patient's recovery.
I will respect the privacy of my patients, for their problems are not disclosed to me that the world may know. Most especially must I tread with care in matters of life and death. If it is given me to save a life, all thanks. But it may also be within my power to take a life; this awesome responsibility must be faced with great humbleness and awareness of my own frailty. Above all, I must not play at God.
I will remember that I do not treat a fever chart, a cancerous growth, but a sick human being, whose illness may affect the person's family and economic stability. My responsibility includes these related problems, if I am to care adequately for the sick.
I will prevent disease whenever I can, for prevention is preferable to cure.
I will remember that I remain a member of society, with special obligations to all my fellow human beings, those sound of mind and body as well as the infirm.
If I do not violate this oath, may I enjoy life and art, respected while I live and remembered with affection thereafter. May I always act so as to preserve the finest traditions of my calling and may I long experience the joy of healing those who seek my help.
Written in 1964 by Louis Lasagna, Academic Dean of the School of Medicine at Tufts University, and used in many medical schools today.
Bullywatch009

Allentown, PA

#5 Aug 9, 2009
gks42 wrote:
I said it before, I will say it again, the fifth commandment, "THOU SHALT NOT KILL"!!!!!!
What about it? How do your commandments relate to the Hippocratic oath? Medicine is not religion, thankfully.
patriot

Slatington, PA

#6 Aug 10, 2009
Playing God might have long lasting (eternal) adversity. I think the living will takes care of 90% of our concerns. I will put my trust in the living will, and the appointee in my will. And in all things, I pray I behave according to Gods will. Murder is not in his will by the way.
patriot

Slatington, PA

#7 Aug 10, 2009
Bullywatch009 wrote:
<quoted text>
What about it? How do your commandments relate to the Hippocratic oath? Medicine is not religion, thankfully.
Do you know the significance of the snake on the staff, which is part of the AMA logo? From where do you draw your opinions? I mean when drilled down and sifted through, what do you lean on?
Johnny -The See- ILDee

Allentown, PA

#8 Aug 10, 2009
patriot wrote:
Playing God might have long lasting (eternal) adversity. I think the living will takes care of 90% of our concerns. I will put my trust in the living will, and the appointee in my will. And in all things, I pray I behave according to Gods will. Murder is not in his will by the way.
There are lots of gods---all man-made. And they all seem to love murder--esp. the Triune god and Allah (All-yayhoo).
Al from Allentown

Allentown, PA

#9 Aug 11, 2009
The Hippocratic oath is meaningless. it is not law, and doctors are not required to adhere to it in order to maintain their medical license or any board certification(s). It's just a bunch of ceremony and nothing more.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Orefield Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Allentown Man Fans Cash At Woman, She Tells Pol... (Dec '07) Jun 6 Wow 78
News Woman couldn't avoid hitting former Parkland co... (Jun '08) May 31 My sister 130
News Texting may cause neck and spine injury (Nov '14) May 29 Melisa 121
News NORC Poll: Voters interested, not excited about... May 28 WasteWater 1
News Macungie martial arts instructor charged with i... (Sep '11) May '16 Law guy 5
News Report: KidsPeace teens had sex (Feb '09) May '16 Goodmom01 60
News Is it Leather Corners, or Leather Corner Post? (Jan '06) Apr '16 Denno329 12
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Orefield Mortgages