KidsPeace lays off 79 employees, slas...

KidsPeace lays off 79 employees, slashes budget -- themorningca...

There are 57 comments on the The Morning Call story from Oct 19, 2007, titled KidsPeace lays off 79 employees, slashes budget -- themorningca.... In it, The Morning Call reports that:

KidsPeace has laid off 79 workers and cut its annual budget by $20 million for 2008 less than a month after the state cut off new admissions to Lehigh Valley-based agency that treats troubled youths.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Morning Call.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Rick

United States

#48 Oct 20, 2007
Liberal Larry wrote:
What I want to know is who will pick up the slack and care for the kids that need it? Will the State? Will the county? Will you???????
The State and/or Counties were the ones who placed most of these kids there in the first place.
According to DOE records 95% of these kids are eligible for the free or reduced lunch program. I doubt their parents could afford the $275 or more per day that KP gets paid for each child.
Disgusted

Sellersville, PA

#49 Oct 20, 2007
The Truth wrote:
Enough with the rumors and guessing. Here is what the top brass actually makes...
C.T. O'Donnell (President & CEO)=$413,729
Lorrie Henderson (Chief Operating Officer)=$262,021
Joe Vallone (VP of "Advancement", or fundraising)=$208,350
Richard Boyer,(VP of Finance)=$175,435
Diane Marciano (VP of Programs)=$181,718
Jim Miller (Director of Human Resources)=$152,294
Mark Stubis =(VP of Public Relations)=$137,376
These individuals make the policies and rules that all staff below them (the ones that actually work with children) must follow. The staff are at the marcy of those decisions, just as anyone who works for someone else is. It is these people that decided that 79 OTHER hard working, dedicated people had to loose their jobs, because of the choices made by this group.
The sallaries listed here are reserved for this level of management only. Directly below these people the pay drops off SHARPY, and goes down incrimentally from there. Draw whatever conclusions you will, but this is the truth.
Thank you truth...looks like $1.5 million to me...or about 60 counselors. How many shopping days 'til Christmas?

fatboy2

“rockin pandas”

Since: Mar 07

Whitehall

#50 Oct 20, 2007
I would think their PR guy should go first because they are looking bad and next should be the HR guy who was in charge of hiring procedures then maybe the finance guy because they won't need him with no money coming in and of course Donnel because he should have seen this coming. Ah heck get rid of them all
The Truth wrote:
Enough with the rumors and guessing. Here is what the top brass actually makes...
These individuals make the policies and rules that all staff below them (the ones that actually work with children) must follow. The staff are at the marcy of those decisions, just as anyone who works for someone else is. It is these people that decided that 79 OTHER hard working, dedicated people had to loose their jobs, because of the choices made by this group.
The sallaries listed here are reserved for this level of management only. Directly below these people the pay drops off SHARPY, and goes down incrimentally from there. Draw whatever conclusions you will, but this is the truth.
Passion

Luzerne, PA

#51 Oct 20, 2007
$275 per day - amazing!! They pay you $30 a day for foster care in Lehigh County and much less in the neighboring counties! It is sad the the state of Pennsyvania will NOT pay to feed,clothe and care for them BEFORE they are violent and out of control but has no problem funding these large salaries for the people in charge at KP. The juvenile system has the largest budget in PA and foster care is at the bottom. Makes no sense to me that you would not start at the bottom to change little lives instead of trying to change teenagers. All programs are being cut in the foster system due to county cutbacks but there is always money for these violent next-step-prison offenders....explain that one to me please..
Passion

Luzerne, PA

#52 Oct 20, 2007
A large percentage of the dam kids at KP would be better served in jail - I know quite a few kids who went to KP and came out worse than they went in. I would love to see the statistics on how many are really rehabilitated and how many move on to the real jail next time. Start weeding out these kids at KP and maybe - just maybe - you will save the ones that truly deserve to be saved.
Kevin Passion

Luzerne, PA

#53 Oct 20, 2007
I used to work at KP and, believe me, they need to start cleaning house from the top down...throw out all the higher ups and hire people who genuinely care about kids - and STOP accepting the violent offenders - send them to jail where they belong
THANK YOU

Easton, PA

#54 Oct 20, 2007
The Truth wrote:
THANK YOU "The Truth"! I would LOVE to see those facts on the front page of the Morning Call! WOW, puts things into real perspective. But, we all knew that! You are SO RIGHT!
elena

Wilmington, DE

#55 Oct 21, 2007
Ania wrote:
<quoted text>
Thats cause your the type of trash they need to deal with from Philadelphia.
Grow up.
elena

Wilmington, DE

#56 Oct 21, 2007
Grow up.
elena

Wilmington, DE

#57 Oct 21, 2007
Grow up
WOW GREAT INFO

Nazareth, PA

#58 Oct 22, 2007
The Truth wrote:
Now get to the second level..here is where more waste can be found! come on more more more..
WOW GREAT INFO

Nazareth, PA

#59 Oct 22, 2007
Disgusted wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you truth...looks like $1.5 million to me...or about 60 counselors. How many shopping days 'til Christmas?
well said..this has been the problem since ct a hole took over..how many years of profit did he bring? just wondering..ps dont forget to mention the bonus bucks like 25,000 given to those admin who stay under budget.
the 25,000 is more impt than the staff numbers and the children and staffs safety
WOW GREAT INFO

Nazareth, PA

#60 Oct 22, 2007
ISN'T KIDSPEACE A NON PROFIT ORG?

WOW CT AHOLES SALARY HAS DOUBLED SINCE HE STARTED TO PUT THE COMPANY IN THE DUMPER.MAYBE ANOTHER TRIP TO ASIA MIGHT HELP. THIS GUY WINES AND DINES THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS. IN FACT HE MAKES SURE THE BOARD GOES UP TO THE KP MAINE CAPUS FOR A "REAL" LOBSTER BAKE.. FIRE CT AND ALL THE OTHERS LISTED. IN ADDITION THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS IS A FRAUD, THAT GETS WINED AND DINED ON A REGULAR BASIS..AN INVESTIGATION OF THE BOARD NEEDS TO TAKE PLACE AS WELL.
Rick

United States

#61 Oct 22, 2007
Norbert wrote:
Sterilize them, then send them home.
The employees, RIGHT???
Rick

United States

#62 Oct 22, 2007
Ticked off wrote:
<quoted text>
What a jerk! I lost my job. It didn't pay that well, but it was my job. If incompetence and needlessness were truly recognized the fat cats at the top would have taken a pay cut.
You lost your job. Aawww!
I LOST A SON THERE.
KP VET

Allentown, PA

#63 Oct 23, 2007
The Truth wrote:
Where did you get those salary numbers.?? None of those people has done a thing I would classify as "excellent"over the past 5 years and a few of them are an embarrassment. Diane Marciano has personally and indiviually made the decision to Open the Seneca Campus and take the "Gangsters" they are taking now. Both monumental disasters to kids, staff, and KP. She should be the first one fired. The fact that KP fires 80 front line workers making 25K and keeps all of the administration that wrecked the place tells you all you need to know about KP.
Paul Carpenter

Allentown, PA

#64 Oct 24, 2007
KP VET wrote:
<quoted text> Where did you get those salary numbers.?? None of those people has done a thing I would classify as "excellent"over the past 5 years and a few of them are an embarrassment. Diane Marciano has personally and indiviually made the decision to Open the Seneca Campus and take the "Gangsters" they are taking now. Both monumental disasters to kids, staff, and KP. She should be the first one fired. The fact that KP fires 80 front line workers making 25K and keeps all of the administration that wrecked the place tells you all you need to know about KP.
The numbers are published, just do an internet search for non-profit organization salaries. You can find the salary information for the last 5 years. You can watch the increases too. Do the math, look at the salary from one year to another, you will find some pretty hefty increases from year to year

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Orefield Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Judicial candidates raised $357,000 for campaigns (Dec '07) Sep 22 silly rabbit 2
News Woman caught in compromising position outside Wawa Sep 8 silly rabbit 3
News Allentown zoners reject Atiyeh plan for self-st... (Jul '07) Sep 4 silly rabbit 15
News Texting may cause neck and spine injury (Nov '14) Aug '16 Anonymous 123
News Report: Rescue in progress on Lehigh River (Jun '08) Aug '16 DJS1969 65
Hillary clinton IRS investigation Jul '16 Norman VN 1
Easy money Jul '16 Shell2142015 1

Orefield Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Orefield Mortgages