KidsPeace lays off 79 employees, slashes budget -- themorningca...

KidsPeace has laid off 79 workers and cut its annual budget by $20 million for 2008 less than a month after the state cut off new admissions to Lehigh Valley-based agency that treats troubled youths. Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Jeff

Whitehall, PA

#1 Oct 19, 2007
It's a shame that it had to come to this but KidsPeace was put in a difficult situation when the Dept of Public Welfare put the residential program on a provisional license. Obviously the DPW had to do something but I would argue that if they really cared about helping kids they would have worked with KidsPeace and not cut off new admissions. Instead they dealt them a virtual death sentence and forced the organization to make cuts if they wanted to survive.
Nice

Schnecksville, PA

#2 Oct 19, 2007
Kidspeace is a train wreck and where they are at now is long overdue.
Sad

Allentown, PA

#3 Oct 19, 2007
My heart goes out to all those who have lost their jobs. It's a sad, sad situation and so hard to watch your co-workers be left go. Even harder thinking that this isn't the end and I could be next :(
Court

Macungie, PA

#4 Oct 19, 2007
Sorry to hear that people were laid off... KP gets a bad rap but it really was not a bad company to work for, at all... i was there 9 years and darn proud of the work i did with those kids....
Juice

Allentown, PA

#5 Oct 19, 2007
It's bullshit wats happening wit Kp. I am a Kp employee, and I think people will not want to work for Kp in the future. Kp is putting the kids safety b4 the staff. I think they should be equally valued.
Liberal Larry

Whitehall, PA

#6 Oct 19, 2007
What I want to know is who will pick up the slack and care for the kids that need it? Will the State? Will the county? Will you???????
Well

Fogelsville, PA

#8 Oct 19, 2007
Those who can afford to live off unemployment will. But I think the majority of the workers will have no problem getting a job elsewhere.

Since: Jul 07

Lehigh Valley, PA

#9 Oct 19, 2007
Sad wrote:
My heart goes out to all those who have lost their jobs. It's a sad, sad situation and so hard to watch your co-workers be left go. Even harder thinking that this isn't the end and I could be next :(
I have to agree with you.

However, this action by KidsPeace is simply retaliation. A "get back".

Basically, KidsPeace is trowing a temper tantrum.
Shelpumpkin

Andover, NJ

#10 Oct 19, 2007
I worked at KidsPeace for nearly 10 years and was proud to say I worked there. I don't think people really understand what the organization does to help those kids in need. The community does not ever hear about the abuse the staff take from the kids and the broken bones they edure all the time. It is horrible to think that these kids will not have a place to go for help. Remember if these kids aren't at KidsPeace they will be living in your community. These kids are our future. Help them now before it is too late.
Frodo

Philadelphia, PA

#11 Oct 19, 2007
Juice wrote:
It's bullshit wats happening wit Kp. I am a Kp employee, and I think people will not want to work for Kp in the future. Kp is putting the kids safety b4 the staff. I think they should be equally valued.
That's the attitude that makes kp such a shit hole. I had quite a few friends that went to kp while they were in high school, and they all came out more fucked up on drugs than when they went in.
Ania

Mertztown, PA

#12 Oct 19, 2007
Frodo wrote:
<quoted text>
That's the attitude that makes kp such a shit hole. I had quite a few friends that went to kp while they were in high school, and they all came out more fucked up on drugs than when they went in.
Thats cause your the type of trash they need to deal with from Philadelphia.
Ania

Mertztown, PA

#13 Oct 19, 2007
RideEmCowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
I have to agree with you.
However, this action by KidsPeace is simply retaliation. A "get back".
Basically, KidsPeace is trowing a temper tantrum.
"trowing" .... learn how to spell. I have kids and a mortgage payment just like everyone else. Upper managment still have their jobs... but to think if C.T cut his salary by 3 %, or got rid of his company car, or did not take his bonus.... I could still have my job for the small amount of money we got paid at KidsPeace.
Billy

AOL

#16 Oct 19, 2007
What should a human being do if attacked by someone equal if not greater in strength then you. Isn't it a natural reaction to defend oneself. Those kids are dangerous if agitated and are also victims however just talking to someone doesn't always work. Perhaps DPW should work a few shifts without any special back up. What about the 2 riots a few months back that every police officer in Northern Lehigh was requested to back up the State Police. Our culture thinks that there should be no use of force with people in rage. Its okay for healthcare workers and police officers to get beat up and be abused themselves when they are there trying to help diffuse a situation and make things safe for everyone.

If anyone has been up close to Kidspeace they could see with 150 years that they are committed to helping children in need. Sadly the whole issue of liability takes over the treatment of others. If we don't watch ourselves our culture, society, and country will be destroyed.

Since: Jul 07

Lehigh Valley, PA

#17 Oct 19, 2007
Shelpumpkin wrote:
The community does not ever hear about the abuse the staff take from the kids and the broken bones they edure all the time.
True, but we do know all about it when you all kill kids.

I still don't understand how laying off 79 employees will make it safer for the remaining, but I guess I have to just trust it will.
Frodo

Philadelphia, PA

#18 Oct 19, 2007
Ania wrote:
<quoted text>
Thats cause your the type of trash they need to deal with from Philadelphia.
From Bethlehem actually. So were the people i'm talking about.

I've never seen any kids so fucked up from head pills than those right out of kidspeace. Some sad stuff.

I hate that spacey stare. No matter if the kid got his drugs from a drug dealer or a doctor. It's no good.

People that put kids on a lot of drugs are trash.
Rob

Fogelsville, PA

#20 Oct 19, 2007
Intresting comment. Hopefully they will be hanging out in your front yard then.
you are kidding right wrote:
<quoted text>
Spoken like a true bleeding heart liberal.
Norbert

Bethlehem, PA

#22 Oct 19, 2007
YEEHAH! Finally, incompetence and needlessness is recognized!
Ticked off

Whitehall, PA

#23 Oct 19, 2007
Norbert wrote:
YEEHAH! Finally, incompetence and needlessness is recognized!
What a jerk! I lost my job. It didn't pay that well, but it was my job. If incompetence and needlessness were truly recognized the fat cats at the top would have taken a pay cut.

“Let's Spend and Borrow Forever”

Since: Feb 07

Bethlehem, PA

#24 Oct 19, 2007
Ideally they will ALL be gone! Turn the place into a big car wash, or a golf course and lodging, or paint-ball arena, something that will actually benefit the world!
Non-profit groups breed arrogance, entitlement mentalities and incompetence!
STAY THE COURSE!
Will

Telford, PA

#25 Oct 19, 2007
Kidspeace is a GREAT organization, but the political BS ALL public schools and services deal with because of lawyers and politicians prevents ANY of them from being as successful as they CAN be! It's a JOKE, and it won't be long before public schools disappear from the face of the earth. Thank-you, politicians!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Orefield Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Weekly Alarm Oct 14 Richard Kranium 2
Woman dies after walking in front of truck on I-78 (Jun '09) Oct 8 Richard Kranium 4
Tamaqua drug sweep nets 20 Oct 8 Richard Kranium 26
Woman arrested for snorting coke with child in car Sep 23 Richard Kranium 19
Allentown Zoners vote down Allentown-South Whit... Sep '14 silly rabbit 5
Shopping Scout: August 19, 2009 (Dec '09) Sep '14 hampsoneric0 7
Lawyer: Arrest video 'favorable' to Allentown p... Sep '14 silly rabbit 3

Orefield News Video

Orefield Dating
Find my Match

Orefield Jobs

Orefield People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Orefield News, Events & Info