Jaindl sues competitor over its patent on phrase 'grand champio...

Full story: The Morning Call

A prominent Lehigh Valley turkey farm wants to gobble up all the rights to the phrase ''grand champion'' even though a competitor has a trademark on the slogan.
Comments
1 - 20 of 25 Comments Last updated Apr 17, 2009
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
SmokersAreLosers

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 15, 2009

Geez...its only a "name"
Lenny Brisco

Slatington, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 15, 2009

Like there isnt any more grand champions than Jandl's dry turkeys. Butterball is still the best, hum must be losing money in the bank market I see.
Mack

Kulpsville, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 15, 2009

The headline is wrong, you can't patent a name. This is a trademark issue, not a patent issue.
Terminator

Whitehall, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 15, 2009

Gee who juges the turkeys to be Grand Champions. Mr Jaindl or is there a contest held every year because if I understand the term Grand Champion there can only be one not many. BS
YaTurkey

Kempton, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 15, 2009

Jandls turkeys are the worst I ever had, yuk dry, stringy, tastless, not tender. They should be the Grand champion loser.
Whitehall Guy

Whitehall, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 15, 2009

They should defend their trade names in court you idiots. Like them personally or not this is a business matter and not a tasting contest.
Chef

Schnecksville, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 15, 2009

YaTurkey wrote:
Jandls turkeys are the worst I ever had, yuk dry, stringy, tastless, not tender. They should be the Grand champion loser.
Sounds like you don't know how to cook a turkey, you turkey. Jaindl's is a fine tasting bird and if cooked correctly, is not anything but moist, tasty, and delicious.
YaTurkey

Kempton, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 15, 2009

Chef wrote:
<quoted text>
Sounds like you don't know how to cook a turkey, you turkey. Jaindl's is a fine tasting bird and if cooked correctly, is not anything but moist, tasty, and delicious.
Even my dog wouldn't eat the bird he burried it. Oh by the way I am a gourmet chef....many many people have eaten my food and love it. Butter ball makes the best turkey and also Chestnut ridge a local farm. Sounds like you have been Jandlized. Once you eat one of their birds your taste buds rot out...sorry for you!
Frank Purdue

Greensboro, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 15, 2009

What a bunch of Turkeys !!

Since: Mar 07

Bethlehem, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 15, 2009

YaTurkey wrote:

I agree. I've been cooking turkeys for 40 years, and tried a Jaindl bird only once.

It stunk, and even the brine (12 hours) didn't help.

Just like you said, dry and tough.

So it's been Butterball all the way.
Scott

Bethlehem, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 15, 2009

only a fake or arrogant cook would call themselves a gourmet chef.
YaTurkey wrote:
<quoted text> Even my dog wouldn't eat the bird he burried it. Oh by the way I am a gourmet chef....many many people have eaten my food and love it. Butter ball makes the best turkey and also Chestnut ridge a local farm. Sounds like you have been Jandlized. Once you eat one of their birds your taste buds rot out...sorry for you!
doh

New Oxford, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 15, 2009

Jaindls stupid birds suc. So does Jaindl. Like he doesn't have enough money. Needs to get a REAL job.

“Your Own Peace Prize Inside”

Since: Mar 07

Hyannis, Mass

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 15, 2009

SmokersAreLosers wrote:
Geez...its only a "name"
So Burger King can use the Ronald McDonald?
slick

Whitehall, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 15, 2009

Grand champions they should earn that name. Have a turkey fight off every year. Use their 2 best turkeys. Thats the way wild birds do it to find out.
Lenny Brisco

Slatington, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 15, 2009

slick wrote:
Grand champions they should earn that name. Have a turkey fight off every year. Use their 2 best turkeys. Thats the way wild birds do it to find out.
For sure Jandls would lose
ha ha

Emmaus, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 15, 2009

doh wrote:
Jaindls stupid birds suc. So does Jaindl. Like he doesn't have enough money. Needs to get a REAL job.
He died a few years ago.....remember?
Real Turkey

Kingston, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 15, 2009

Yes, sadly, we consumers of turkey are contused about turkey. I was just saying the other day, this bland white meat can't be from a Grand Champion, why don't we have roasted lawyer tomorrow night.
Real Turkey

Kingston, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 15, 2009

doh... for the record, didn't the old man make sure the siblings had jobs by the way he structured his will? He must have known something.
me tooooooo

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 15, 2009

Real Turkey wrote:
doh... for the record, didn't the old man make sure the siblings had jobs by the way he structured his will? He must have known something.
Real turkey---get a REAL LIFE--your from Scrantom---what the hell do you know what is going on in the Lehigh Valley?
Legal Eagle

Stanhope, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 15, 2009

You can easily search the US Patent and Trademark office to see if Jaindel indeed has been assigned the Tradename for Grand Champion for turkey or fowl products of commerce. Likewise, due diligence from the Mn company should have sought out if the Grand Champion tradename was used in the related field of commerce. Ironically, the US Patent and Trademark office will check if the requested tradename was registered in the related field of commerce.

It would be good to understand the size of one company against the other to see if one of them is flexing their market turkey muscle.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Orefield Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
PA Who do you support for Governor in Pennsylvania... (Oct '10) 3 hr Bill OReilly 51,275
PA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Pennsylva... (Oct '10) Tue But Not Hussein O... 3,898
Four charged with DUI placed in Carbon... Aug 17 do what robin did 2
kidspeace housing illigals and safety Aug 12 jujubean 3
Police investigate murder-suicide Jul 28 Have U Boscoved t... 1
Weekly Alarm Jul '14 Tommy 1
Tamaqua drug sweep nets 20 Jul '14 Mark 23

Search the Orefield Forum:
•••

Orefield News Video

•••
•••

Orefield Jobs

•••