Lesser charge, lighter penalty in tot...

Lesser charge, lighter penalty in tot's death

There are 22 comments on the Beaumont Enterprise story from Jan 11, 2006, titled Lesser charge, lighter penalty in tot's death. In it, Beaumont Enterprise reports that:

Orange County Sheriff's Deputy Harry Meaux, left, leads Lewis Todd O'Dell, 41, of Buna, right, from the Orange County Jail to the Orange County Courthouse.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Beaumont Enterprise.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Justin Plunk

United States

#1 Feb 20, 2006
I know this man and I dont think he did what people say he did. I was around him everyday for months and he never got a temper. He coundnt hurt no baby. And he didnt use no baseball bat to beat someone up. The man he was accused of beating up was nothing but a meth dealer and user. He sold meth to young kids.
Stunned

AOL

#2 Jun 10, 2006
I used to work with Todd's wife, Kelly, and she was a very happy, upbeat person, always talking happily about her husband and children. If she was married to such a monster, it seems some of us would have suspected something. No one had an inkling of any unhappiness, so I wonder about the truthfulness of this story. He and Kelly eventually divorced, but it wasn't due to any violence or a raging temper on his part.
nobody

Reading, PA

#3 Jun 10, 2006
Don't know much about the story. The paper's say he & his girlfriend were living in a motel looking for an apartment. Why? I knew a woman who talked about her happy marriage, so we were shocked when she suddenly took off with her daughter and a new guy. Her closest friend filled us in, he beat her and her daughter. My ex was another one that appeared "non violent" to those outside the home. The first commenter mentions the meth dealer, that he did or did not beat up. What was his contact with the dealer? He pleaded guilty; I'll assume his girlfriend could prove she was out of the motel as stated.
child advocate

United States

#4 Apr 2, 2007
The shame is that a child died!
Saddened

United States

#5 Dec 7, 2007
It is a shame that a child died. What the world doesn't know is Todd has 3 children of his own in which he never hurt in any way. Shanna, the mother of the child, was in the hotel because Todd let her stay there because her daddy kicked her out of his house for not taking care of that baby. The reason Todd accepted a plea bargain is because there was a chance he would never be with his kids again. Also, Shanna's family knew the D.A. If Todd would have had the money for a good lawyer he wouldn't be where he is today. That poor child had prior injuries, had been sick and his lab reports were unbelievable. The question should be "why was the mother never looked at as a suspect". In the 25 years I've known Todd, he has never been violent. However, it seems to me that baby was in his mothers way of her partying life. Witnesses claim she was out at the clubs the following week. She continued to see Todd for 4 months after the death of her baby. Would you continue to date a man that you thought killed your baby? Also, during the sentencing she had nothing to say to the defendant. If I thought someone killed my baby, I would definetly have something to say before they send him to jail. There is a lot more to this story and if I had the time and space, you would definetly be disappointed in our justice system as I am.
Disappointed

AOL

#6 Dec 7, 2007
I followed this story closely. This man was innocent!!!! The tragedy in all of this is, that little baby was never priority or important enough to his mother, father or grandparents. He deserved to be raised in a structured environment with all of his needs being met. Not drug from sitter to sitter and motel to motel. The mothers partying/disfunctional lifestyle cost her the life of her child. She was responsible for her child bottom line!!! In this case, her family knew her lifestyle and knew if they did not implicate the boyfriend she would be prosecuted for the death of her own baby, so they did everything within their power (lied, slander, made threats and called in favors) to prevent that. Given the legalities, this man made the best decision for his own children. Even when your innocent you sometimes can't beat the system. Now there is an innocent man behind bars and the mother went own a year later to have another child out of wedlock. Lets hope and pray that this child is more important to her. God be with that child.
A mother

AOL

#7 Dec 7, 2007
I agree, I am a mother and if I thought my boyfriend murdered my child he would never live to see a court room. I definitely would not have continued to live with/date him for 4 months after the death of my child. She did that because she knew this man did not murder her child!!!!!
One day she will pay for not standing up for this man and helping to put him behind bars.
Saddened wrote:
It is a shame that a child died. What the world doesn't know is Todd has 3 children of his own in which he never hurt in any way. Shanna, the mother of the child, was in the hotel because Todd let her stay there because her daddy kicked her out of his house for not taking care of that baby. The reason Todd accepted a plea bargain is because there was a chance he would never be with his kids again. Also, Shanna's family knew the D.A. If Todd would have had the money for a good lawyer he wouldn't be where he is today. That poor child had prior injuries, had been sick and his lab reports were unbelievable. The question should be "why was the mother never looked at as a suspect". In the 25 years I've known Todd, he has never been violent. However, it seems to me that baby was in his mothers way of her partying life. Witnesses claim she was out at the clubs the following week. She continued to see Todd for 4 months after the death of her baby. Would you continue to date a man that you thought killed your baby? Also, during the sentencing she had nothing to say to the defendant. If I thought someone killed my baby, I would definetly have something to say before they send him to jail. There is a lot more to this story and if I had the time and space, you would definetly be disappointed in our justice system as I am.
Rhonda

United States

#8 Dec 15, 2007
As far as the meth dealer, that case was thrown out.
nobody wrote:
Don't know much about the story. The paper's say he & his girlfriend were living in a motel looking for an apartment. Why? I knew a woman who talked about her happy marriage, so we were shocked when she suddenly took off with her daughter and a new guy. Her closest friend filled us in, he beat her and her daughter. My ex was another one that appeared "non violent" to those outside the home. The first commenter mentions the meth dealer, that he did or did not beat up. What was his contact with the dealer? He pleaded guilty; I'll assume his girlfriend could prove she was out of the motel as stated.
texasbelle5

United States

#9 Dec 17, 2007
Disappointed wrote:
I followed this story closely. This man was innocent!!!! The tragedy in all of this is, that little baby was never priority or important enough to his mother, father or grandparents. He deserved to be raised in a structured environment with all of his needs being met. Not drug from sitter to sitter and motel to motel. The mothers partying/disfunctional lifestyle cost her the life of her child. She was responsible for her child bottom line!!! In this case, her family knew her lifestyle and knew if they did not implicate the boyfriend she would be prosecuted for the death of her own baby, so they did everything within their power (lied, slander, made threats and called in favors) to prevent that. Given the legalities, this man made the best decision for his own children. Even when your innocent you sometimes can't beat the system. Now there is an innocent man behind bars and the mother went own a year later to have another child out of wedlock. Lets hope and pray that this child is more important to her. God be with that child.
She may be a bad mother,who knows? The fact of the matter is, a child is dead at the hands of his biological father and stepmother. At the very best, they neglected to get medical help for this child, allowed it to die and then calmly went to bed. At the worst, oneor both parents killed this child and then wento bed, leaving the abby's corpse in his crib. No matter how you spin it, this happened on Dad and stepmom's watch.
Disappointed

AOL

#10 Dec 18, 2007
You must not have much knowledge base about this case. The biological father was not involved, his lack of involvement contributed to the childs death. There was no stepmother in this case, medical treatment was given and the child wasn't left in his crib.
texasbelle5 wrote:
<quoted text>
She may be a bad mother,who knows? The fact of the matter is, a child is dead at the hands of his biological father and stepmother. At the very best, they neglected to get medical help for this child, allowed it to die and then calmly went to bed. At the worst, oneor both parents killed this child and then wento bed, leaving the abby's corpse in his crib. No matter how you spin it, this happened on Dad and stepmom's watch.
Rhonda

Jasper, TX

#11 Jan 10, 2008
You must be thinking of a different case because the biological father wasn't there. After speaking with some of her friends, they all said she didn't care of the baby. The baby did not die in the crib. I think you are thinking of someone different.
texasbelle5 wrote:
<quoted text>
She may be a bad mother,who knows? The fact of the matter is, a child is dead at the hands of his biological father and stepmother. At the very best, they neglected to get medical help for this child, allowed it to die and then calmly went to bed. At the worst, oneor both parents killed this child and then wento bed, leaving the abby's corpse in his crib. No matter how you spin it, this happened on Dad and stepmom's watch.
ONEWHOKOWS

Temple, TX

#12 Sep 4, 2008
I CAN NOT BELEIVE THAT THERE ARE PEOPLE OUT THERE WHO THINK THEY KNOW IT ALL. I DONT CARE HOW CLOSE YOU THINK YOU ARE OR WERE I CAN TELL YOU THAT A DAY BEFORE THIS HAPPENED THE LITTLE BOY WAS WITH HIS MOTHER AND FAMILY AND WAS JUST FINE. PLAYFUL HAPPY AND ALIVE. SHE WAS LIVING IN A MOTEL BECAUSE SHE WAS WAITING FOR HER APT TO OPEN UP ON THE FIRST NOT BECAUSE SHE WAS SOME KIND OF LOSER SHE LEFT HER PARENTS HOME TO BE WITH THE BOYFREIND BECAUSE HE PRETENDED AND THEN WHEN IT HAPPENED HE LIED AND SAID THE BABY FELL OFF THE BED WHILE THE MOTHER WAS AT THE STORE GETTING FOOD AND DIAPERS. HE WAS A LOSER AND A METH HEAD AND FOR THOSE WHO DONT BELEIVE THAT THERE IS VIDEOTAPE EVIDENCE FREEDOM OF INFORMATION ACT!!! USE IT AND YOU WOULD KNOW THE TRUTH AND COULD QUIT SPREADING YOUR VENOMOUS LIES AND INACCURATE DETAILS.
ONEWHOKOWS

Temple, TX

#13 Sep 4, 2008
You seem to have alot of details confused. I love how people outside looking in think they know it all. Just because they talked to a freind of a freind of a freind. If you knew the actual facts it would be a much more interesting story. Seeing as Todd was a meth addict and hid it very well until the video evidence came out.
Saddened wrote:
It is a shame that a child died. What the world doesn't know is Todd has 3 children of his own in which he never hurt in any way. Shanna, the mother of the child, was in the hotel because Todd let her stay there because her daddy kicked her out of his house for not taking care of that baby. The reason Todd accepted a plea bargain is because there was a chance he would never be with his kids again. Also, Shanna's family knew the D.A. If Todd would have had the money for a good lawyer he wouldn't be where he is today. That poor child had prior injuries, had been sick and his lab reports were unbelievable. The question should be "why was the mother never looked at as a suspect". In the 25 years I've known Todd, he has never been violent. However, it seems to me that baby was in his mothers way of her partying life. Witnesses claim she was out at the clubs the following week. She continued to see Todd for 4 months after the death of her baby. Would you continue to date a man that you thought killed your baby? Also, during the sentencing she had nothing to say to the defendant. If I thought someone killed my baby, I would definetly have something to say before they send him to jail. There is a lot more to this story and if I had the time and space, you would definetly be disappointed in our justice system as I am.
Dryman _Hodie

Jasper, TX

#14 Oct 10, 2008
For the "One Who Knows". What happened in the past is in the past. The things that have been said in these articles, good or bad, will not make anything change. Families from both sides had to deal with a tragedy. The worst thing about the drama, is that an innocent child died. The mother of the child should have cared more about the baby and actually took care of it herself, instead of putting it off on someone else so she could have a "night out on the town", which was very common for her. Regardless if Todd was on an illegal substance, so was she, more regularly than he. She was the one who brought him into that lifestyle that he was in at the time. And this I do know for a fact. If my child had stopped breathing, I would be the one to carry him into the hospital,not some man that I knew for a few months. She didn't even start crying or show any emotions until after her dad showed up and the hospital which was far after the child was pronounced dead. And those are facts from doctor reports in the case. Everyone can think what they want to think, there are 3 people who know the truth, her, him, and the Lord.

“The Indestructible Mooze”

Since: Feb 09

Moozetown, Watacountry

#15 Jun 15, 2009
Justin Plunk wrote:
I know this man and I dont think he did what people say he did. I was around him everyday for months and he never got a temper. He coundnt hurt no baby. And he didnt use no baseball bat to beat someone up. The man he was accused of beating up was nothing but a meth dealer and user. He sold meth to young kids.
This seems to be a story with tails ...
he is innocent

AOL

#16 Sep 18, 2009
There is NO way Todd Odell did such a heinous thing. He isn't perfect...(who is?), but he certainly is no child abuser. He was set up from the beginning.
amazed

United States

#17 Jan 15, 2010
your talking about a 40 year old man and a twenty something year old girl. Your telling me she got him involved in a lifestyle of partys and drugs. How stupid can you be. And a little fyi. She was not kicked out of her parents house because of not taking care of her child. She moved out because her parents didnt approve of her dating this man. And have you thought for one minute that people have different ways of expressing their emotions. Have you concidered a state of shock and disbeleif. Maybe a little numb. You can say you will react a certain way but you never know until it happens to you. And my advice to you is not judge someone over things you hear. Thats how rumors get started.
Dryman _Hodie wrote:
For the "One Who Knows". What happened in the past is in the past. The things that have been said in these articles, good or bad, will not make anything change. Families from both sides had to deal with a tragedy. The worst thing about the drama, is that an innocent child died. The mother of the child should have cared more about the baby and actually took care of it herself, instead of putting it off on someone else so she could have a "night out on the town", which was very common for her. Regardless if Todd was on an illegal substance, so was she, more regularly than he. She was the one who brought him into that lifestyle that he was in at the time. And this I do know for a fact. If my child had stopped breathing, I would be the one to carry him into the hospital,not some man that I knew for a few months. She didn't even start crying or show any emotions until after her dad showed up and the hospital which was far after the child was pronounced dead. And those are facts from doctor reports in the case. Everyone can think what they want to think, there are 3 people who know the truth, her, him, and the Lord.
amazed

United States

#18 Jan 15, 2010
Set up!! Now thats a thought. This man has been in trouble for more than one heinous act and they all involved different people. my guess is that he wasnt set up. That he committed these things and should pay the price. People arent always what they seem so dont think he isnt capeable of doing such things. not to mention he pledey guilty. no person would ever say they did such a horrible thing just to say it. he pleaded guilty because he is guilty.
he is innocent wrote:
There is NO way Todd Odell did such a heinous thing. He isn't perfect...(who is?), but he certainly is no child abuser. He was set up from the beginning.
amazed

United States

#19 Jan 15, 2010
Every post i have read on here really amazes me. First of all what gives all of you the right to judge someone you know absolutely nothing about. The things that you people are saying are far from the truth. Its all hear say and it blows my mind that you people just keep the rumors rolling. I have known this girl my whole life. No one in this world is perfect. We all make bad choices and mistakes but that doesnt give anyone of us the right to bash one another. Your knowledge about this girl and obviously todd to is so ignorite. You should try looking into something instead of just blurting out your thoughts from stories you here. Nothing in these blogs are true or even come close to being how the storey goes. Theres so much more to it and none of you have a single clue. I truely feel sorry for the close minded, judgemental, uneducated people you are. Get the facts...not the opinions. It will really change a storey up. This world is so crazy. think people before you speak.
amazed

United States

#20 Jan 15, 2010
You say you followed this storey close? then why is it that you know so little? First of all the child wasnt drug from sitter to sitter and wasnt drug from motel to motel. In fact this was the first time the child had ever stayed in a hotel and it was due to the fact they were waiting on an aparment. it was for a few days. An the mother didnt live a partying/disfunctional lifestyle. Going out once a weekend is not disfunctional. Lots of normal loving people and parents do it. And as far as implicating the boyfriend..it took the girl a while before she even believed he would do such a thing herself. Or maybe it was she didnt want to believe she trusted such a person to be around her child. Regardless.. the fact of the matter is that this case was investigated for over a year before anything happend. Obviously they had a reason to believe that he was guilty to have persued this in the first place. And after watching him and checking in to his lifestyle they found out the truth. Maybe you should get all your fact together and then tell me what you think. otherwise i wouldnt write things about people and cases i didnt know about. it really can make a person look stupid. In this case im sorry to say thats exactly what you sound like. STUPID!!
Disappointed wrote:
I followed this story closely. This man was innocent!!!! The tragedy in all of this is, that little baby was never priority or important enough to his mother, father or grandparents. He deserved to be raised in a structured environment with all of his needs being met. Not drug from sitter to sitter and motel to motel. The mothers partying/disfunctional lifestyle cost her the life of her child. She was responsible for her child bottom line!!! In this case, her family knew her lifestyle and knew if they did not implicate the boyfriend she would be prosecuted for the death of her own baby, so they did everything within their power (lied, slander, made threats and called in favors) to prevent that. Given the legalities, this man made the best decision for his own children. Even when your innocent you sometimes can't beat the system. Now there is an innocent man behind bars and the mother went own a year later to have another child out of wedlock. Lets hope and pray that this child is more important to her. God be with that child.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Orange Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Vidor Music Thread (Sep '13) 7 hr Leticia 11
Pat Hall Aug 17 Dahellio 1
Election Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) Aug 17 District farts 977
Election Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) Aug 15 More farts 790
Debate: Marijuana - Port Arthur, TX (Sep '10) Aug 14 Addiel Portillo 11
News Family Dollar Robbed (Nov '11) Aug 12 gorge 2
Nothing but a liar Aug 3 ash 2
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Orange Mortgages