New England transplants to open Chowd...

New England transplants to open Chowder House

There are 59 comments on the North Port Sun story from Jul 7, 2012, titled New England transplants to open Chowder House. In it, North Port Sun reports that:

PHOTO PROVIDED BY DEBORAH ARNOLD Owners of Englewood's soon-to-be-opened New England Chowder House include Mario Stillo, Chip Munro and James Heron.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at North Port Sun.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
TJE

Venice, FL

#1 Jul 7, 2012
Great! I love New England clam chowder!

When are they going to open for business?
ABCD

Lenoir City, TN

#2 Jul 8, 2012
I love seafood, grow up on it in New England, but now I can't eat to much because of the GOUT, and I have lived to long in the south to say I can remember the days in New England
TJE

Englewood, FL

#3 Jul 26, 2012
I saw where they just opened for business. Has anyone tried it? Was it good? How were the prices?
ocrbmom

Sarasota, FL

#4 Jul 27, 2012
TJE wrote:
I saw where they just opened for business. Has anyone tried it? Was it good? How were the prices?
Tried it opening night, a bit pricey but you get alot of food and ithe food was excellent.. Best stuffed Shrimp I have EVER had.
ocrbmom

Sarasota, FL

#5 Jul 27, 2012
Excellent food, great stuffed shrimp
Jsb

Foxboro, MA

#6 Jul 27, 2012
My son ate there for lunch today (7-27-2012). He's born and raised in MA, and has made clam cakes and chowder most of his life. He said the NE chowda is missing something, it wasn't as creamy as it should be.(old restaurant trick, use the RI chowda and add milk to it and call it NE chowda).

The clam cakes were big, but the price to pay for that is, burnt on the outside and gooey on the inside. The batter was very salty.

I think the worst part was, he told the owner and she said they have had the problem before. She said they didn't taste right either, but she doesn't like clam cakes.

The end result was, she gave him more uncooked, salt lick, clam cakes. Really?!?!

Ok, my solution, make the cakes less salty, and smaller, so they cook. Make the NE chowda, correctly, and stop giving NE a bad rep!
Mary Beth

Englewood, FL

#7 Jul 28, 2012
We want to eat here but can't find an address! If someone as an address, please post. Thanks!
TJE

Englewood, FL

#8 Jul 28, 2012
Mary Beth wrote:
We want to eat here but can't find an address! If someone as an address, please post. Thanks!
It's the old Arby's building across McCall Road from Beef O'Bradys.
jody howarth

Sarasota, FL

#9 Jul 30, 2012
a little aggravated that the building was going on yet no mention of hiring... are ghosts working there? I looked on the internet and even went by during construction to no avail... kinda put a bad taste in my mouth... apparently like some of the people who have eaten there....
Helcia

Graniteville, SC

#10 Jul 30, 2012
jody howarth wrote:
a little aggravated that the building was going on yet no mention of hiring... are ghosts working there? I looked on the internet and even went by during construction to no avail... kinda put a bad taste in my mouth... apparently like some of the people who have eaten there....
I agree Jody. It was not very nice of them. The employees are probably family or imported from somewhere up north to work the money months. Their opening was less than supportive to our community. I won't eat the simply for that reason. I'll sit back and watch them close the doors from lack of support from the apparently snubbed locals.
sonny b

Fort Myers, FL

#11 Jul 31, 2012
Jsb wrote:
My son ate there for lunch today (7-27-2012). He's born and raised in MA, and has made clam cakes and chowder most of his life. He said the NE chowda is missing something, it wasn't as creamy as it should be.(old restaurant trick, use the RI chowda and add milk to it and call it NE chowda).
The clam cakes were big, but the price to pay for that is, burnt on the outside and gooey on the inside. The batter was very salty.
I think the worst part was, he told the owner and she said they have had the problem before. She said they didn't taste right either, but she doesn't like clam cakes.
The end result was, she gave him more uncooked, salt lick, clam cakes. Really?!?!
Ok, my solution, make the cakes less salty, and smaller, so they cook. Make the NE chowda, correctly, and stop giving NE a bad rep!
First: its chowder and not chowda.the old trick useing R.I. Chowder and add milk (wrong)NE chowder is not made that way . Get your facts straight.Born and raised in Mass no wonder' R.I. forgot more about chowder and clamcakes than Mass will ever know. Clam Cakes are difficult for even a seasoned chef to master.Give them a chance .
SCS

Rotonda West, FL

#12 Aug 1, 2012
Way pricy for Englewood. I'm not sure they can make it till season! They must have had 20 people working there! Family style picnic tables in Wrinklewood? Really? I had a hard time sitting down, I can't imagine what the seniors are going to do. The Chowder/Chowda was weak at best! It was more like the consistancy of Oyster Stew. The Clam cakes were minus the clams. The crab cakes were all cake and small for $9.95 for 2. The ones at Sweetbay were better for $1.49 ea. For a newly openned place, 3 of their drink machine were marked "Not Working". They need to scale back on the price and improve the quality before I and my friends would come back.
Raymone Smith

Englewood, FL

#13 Aug 1, 2012
I was very excited to see a new place open up in Englewood. After eating there the excitement is gone. The white clam chowder waa watery and barely had anything in it. The clam cakes are not cakes at all my best description would be clam fritters missing the clam. You order at the counter and serve yourself drinks so the amatuer nature of this business is multiple drinks sizes and prices. They have Marina Jacks pricing with no view and terrible food. I hope they change or there will be another for lease sign back on 776.
Brianna S

Englewood, FL

#14 Aug 1, 2012
The restaurant is extremely overpriced for the portions & the counter service you receive. The lobster bisque was tasteless, the New England white clam chowder was clam-less and very watery. The crab cakes were crab-less (all stuffing!). The 4 stuffed shrimp were sitting in a buttery/oily liquid and the stuffing was lacking. The lobster in the lobster salad roll was chewy and a very small portion for $15.95...no side included. For a retirement community, it was surprising to see that seating was mostly picnic tables. We will not be going back.
Brianna S

Englewood, FL

#15 Aug 1, 2012
Mary Beth wrote:
Don't bother...stop looking...save your money and your taste buds!!
Tom of englewood

North Port, FL

#16 Aug 2, 2012
Lived most of my life in "New Englewood" but this place "needs" much HELP buy PROGRESSO SOUP" & save you moneySORRY I WILL NOT BE BACK
peter v englewood

Englewood, FL

#17 Aug 2, 2012
worst chowder ever, ordered combo A 4 fried scallops and 4 fried shrimp,and some fries..over $28..Yikes will not return...try cafe 776 good food and good prices...
kenny

United States

#18 Aug 2, 2012
Potatoe soup was extremly watery no taste,aka white chowda,hush puppies not clam cakes,thats all i could afford on the menu for lunch,sorry will not be coming back try conch cafe way better chowda
Mary Beth

Englewood, FL

#19 Aug 3, 2012
This place was horrible- we ate there on Wednesday! I was the person wanting to know where it was so when someone posted the address, we went. I wish I had seen the post of "don't bother - stop looking" I spent my summers in Mattapoisett, MA and there is a Chowder House there which is authentic. This place is TERRIBLE! I really hate to say it but it's true. The NE chowder was so watery - my daughter didn't even want to eat it! The crab cakes - well, I'm not sure what they were. Although I will say the stuffed quohog was good but that was about it. And they have more people working there than they do for customers! This place will not last!
Chowderheads

Venice, FL

#20 Aug 3, 2012
jody howarth wrote:
Jody
We hired over twenty people ALL local. I'm really surprised that you were at our location as we were there every single day since March 1st with the exception of one Sunday. Very sorry you didn't get to fill out an application as we had over 300 in hand from people stopping in to fill them out. My suggestion would be to come by during non peak hours and fill out an app. As far as that bad taste in your mouth, we can take care of that too....come try the food....it's all fresh and it is awesome...ask questions of our employees and see how they joined our team!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Orange Park Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Shannon Ttent 6 hr Carlos Danger 2
Nudes. 17 hr lynn 6
Art n Illusion Hair Salon Thu Amber 7
Hookup? Thu Wicked 1
my boyfriend wants me to flash and let my tits ... Wed casey201526 1
Over 35,000 White Women are Raped by Blacks ann... (Apr '13) Wed Hurt and Sad 190
lonzie barton Jul 28 concerned 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Orange Park Mortgages