Gunman Volusia: Gunman in Volusia standoff 'armed for combat'

Full story: Orlando Sentinel

Authorities said Thursday that they don't know what caused Bryan Randolph Langford to snap, killing two people and then taking his own life after shooting an Orange City police officer.
Comments
1 - 19 of 19 Comments Last updated Feb 5, 2011
Orlando Homegrown

Orlando, FL

#1 Mar 27, 2009
I'm really surprised that there aren't more guys "Snapping" over the amount of child support they are demanded to dole out! I'm all for the biological parents having to help support their offsprings but when the ousted parent (Usually the dad) has to pay so much of his income that he can't make ends meet in his own live then something is terribly wrong. My son has to pay over $700 a month for his only child from his previous marriage and basically lives from hand to mouth each and every month. He has remarried but his wife makes just enough to pay for child care for their two year old and a few groceries. His pay doesn't even cover the amount of his mortgage and power and water bills so he has now lost his home from his previous marriage and now his present wife's home is in foreclosure. Just how much do these guys have to be subjected to before they come to the conclusion that it just isn't worth it? Then you couple that with his x wife working for her father's company making a pumped up salary, remarried to a guy making 50K, living in a $200,000 home with both of them driving brand new vehicles and sucking off $700 freebie money from my son! Say what you want, I'm surprised there are not many more guys like this young man that came to end of his rope and decided to cash it in. Mark my words, we will see more of this type of desparate behavior in the months ahead only much more wide spread.
r hernandez

Austin, TX

#2 Mar 27, 2009
this will continue to get worse. child support laws are to protect the child, yes, but when a parents income is gone, or goes down, like in these times, something should be done. child support courts are ruthless. been there. somebody has to step up to the plate and fix this just one of many problems. we are human and we are imposing very difficult things on our fellow man. meanwhile innocent people are treated like criminals and killers walk the street, go figure.
Time After Time

Satellite Beach, FL

#3 Mar 27, 2009
So this punk was "ready for combat." So, you cops should be also. Why does it take so long for all of you to get on the same damnned page and take a threat to the rest of us, out? Obviously, he was more prepared for disaster than the men and women we pay to protect our communities.
uh huh

Altamonte Springs, FL

#4 Mar 27, 2009
Orlando Homegrown wrote:
I'm really surprised that there aren't more guys "Snapping" over the amount of child support they are demanded to dole out! I'm all for the biological parents having to help support their offsprings but when the ousted parent (Usually the dad) has to pay so much of his income that he can't make ends meet in his own live then something is terribly wrong. My son has to pay over $700 a month for his only child from his previous marriage and basically lives from hand to mouth each and every month. He has remarried but his wife makes just enough to pay for child care for their two year old and a few groceries. His pay doesn't even cover the amount of his mortgage and power and water bills so he has now lost his home from his previous marriage and now his present wife's home is in foreclosure. Just how much do these guys have to be subjected to before they come to the conclusion that it just isn't worth it? Then you couple that with his x wife working for her father's company making a pumped up salary, remarried to a guy making 50K, living in a $200,000 home with both of them driving brand new vehicles and sucking off $700 freebie money from my son! Say what you want, I'm surprised there are not many more guys like this young man that came to end of his rope and decided to cash it in. Mark my words, we will see more of this type of desparate behavior in the months ahead only much more wide spread.
aww thats a sad story, I feel for you.
Maybe try to get custody of the kids, and put the shoe on the other foot. Or come up with some personal agreement?
Jay

Bradenton, FL

#5 Mar 27, 2009
Unless that AK was an actual Full Auto Machine Gun it was not an 'assault weapon' that is a term thats grossly misused by people w/ an agenda and was created by Liberals to confuse people to stupid to think for themselves.

A 50.cal rifle could be a lot of things, even a Muzzle loader like what the Pioneers used and many are 50 caliber or bigger. This one was likely just a single shot weapon and was never called an 'assault weapon' by the AWB as its a standard rifle just in a big caliber
the other side

Jacksonville, FL

#6 Mar 27, 2009
first of all, trust me i understand how it may seem like she is fleecing the $700 from your son. the other side of this is that there are custodial parents who struggle each and every month because the other parent Refuses to do the right thing. My ex has not paid a red cent in 3 months. nothing. He was working at a theme park and when it closed of the winter he also stopped working. He did not look for another job, nor did he feel like applying for unemployment. please forgive me if i dont feel bad for you son. instead of being proud of him that he is doing the right thing and paying so that his kids dont have to go without you look at their mom. and wonder outloud why she needs that support. and by the way, 50k is not a lot of money either. not when you have a mortgage, car payments and other utilities. so please the guys who whine about not having enough left over, think about the idea that your kids have to go without. or that their mom would have to tell them she cannot do what they would like to do because their dad has not sent anything. child support courts are not ruthless, they are slow... you know you are behind, you know you need to pay yet month after month you choose not pay anything until the judge has to ask you why. I am sorry i dont have pitty for you.
Orlando Homegrown wrote:
Geez

Kissimmee, FL

#8 Mar 27, 2009
Simple solution to the child support issue. If you don't want to support them, don't have them. Don't have a second child if you can't support the first one. Keep it in your pants.
Well Armed

Hialeah, FL

#10 Mar 27, 2009
Time After Time wrote:
So this punk was "ready for combat." So, you cops should be also. Why does it take so long for all of you to get on the same damnned page and take a threat to the rest of us, out? Obviously, he was more prepared for disaster than the men and women we pay to protect our communities.
When are people like you going to stop relying on the government and law enforcement to protect you. Wake the $$$$ up and realize that if you don't protect and prepare yourself for anything and everything when s**t really hits the fan, yourself and others like you will be the first victims.
kman

AOL

#11 Mar 27, 2009
Jay wrote:
Unless that AK was an actual Full Auto Machine Gun it was not an 'assault weapon' that is a term thats grossly misused by people w/ an agenda and was created by Liberals to confuse people to stupid to think for themselves.
A 50.cal rifle could be a lot of things, even a Muzzle loader like what the Pioneers used and many are 50 caliber or bigger. This one was likely just a single shot weapon and was never called an 'assault weapon' by the AWB as its a standard rifle just in a big caliber
Did you see his gun collection? That 50 cal was same one used by the military and costs around 2,500 bucks. His whole collection looked to be worth at LEAST 15 grand. He had some sweet weapons. He also had a gas mask.If he would have chose to fight it out, it would have been a bloodbath.
The Phantom

Apopka, FL

#12 Mar 27, 2009
Jay wrote:
Look Mr. NRA Nut, justify it any way you want but what would you need a .50 cal. weapon for? Do you want to blow holes into the side of cars, oh wait, you have a RIGHT to carry it and you might need it for hunting a DINOSAUR or something but neverless you deserve to own it. Did you even bother to see the pictures of the ammo and gun, it WAS NOT a muzzle loader. I hope you stock up on them now cause thank god the assault weapons ban is coming back. I liked President Bush but getting rid of that ban was the dumbest thing he ever did in my opinion.
joie

Apopka, FL

#15 Mar 27, 2009
Orlando Homegrown wrote:
if your son is paying that much, he must have a nice pay check because it is a % of the income. If the income goes down go back and have the payment lowered. Or he could get custody of the child and have the ex pay him a % of her income.
onepopo

El Paso, TX

#16 Mar 27, 2009
Orlando Homegrown wrote:
I'm really surprised that there aren't more guys "Snapping" over the amount of child support they are demanded to dole out! I'm all for the biological parents having to help support their offsprings but when the ousted parent.
A few things would remedy this. We need to start raising women to understand that men are NOT a meal ticket. Women should get educated and become self supportive so if things to do go to heck in a relationship they are not completely dependent on someone else.

Also, as a man though, if you help to create a child then you are JUST as responsible for his/her well being and upbringing and you should pay.

But this guy was only paying $350/month in child support. That doesn't seem too harsh a payment for his own son.

You don't see more men doing this because most of them AREN'T criminals and even though the relationship with the woman may have ended they still LOVE their child(ren) and understand they should provide for them.

Like the other poster wrote, if you don't want the hassle of paying for kids don't have them. Both men and women are to blame here.
onepopo

El Paso, TX

#17 Mar 27, 2009
Time After Time wrote:
Problem is, the bad guy is ALWAYS at the advantage because he knows what his intentions are and we do not. Granted, if you are going to check on a guy who is suicidal you must always assume he is homicidal. But the guy had the ability to reach out and touch the officer with a rifle round that can penetrate a car and go right through a bullet RESISTANT vest.

The cop most likely has a .45 or .40 or 9mm as a side arm and maybe an AR-15 in the car. The bad guy is barricaded and gets the first shot because at this point the cop has no idea what he is driving up on.

At the onset, someone has to approach the house (absent more specific threatening information) and try to make contact. That is why this job is so dangerous because many times you just have to put yourself in a precarious situation as a matter of course.

Now, you could say we should go up like storm troopers on every call, guns out expecting a gun battle. But we already get complaints about being heavy handed, NAZI, jack booted thugs. We get sued, called to Internal Affairs etc. etc. So we really can't win for losing.

Now if they had previous information the guy was barricaded, armed, and suicidal it becomes a whole different call. In that situation you lock the area down, call SWAT and your negotiating team and use time and negotiations to try and get the guy out. The bad guy has less of an advantage because we pretty much know what he is capable of in this scenario.
WFT

Longwood, FL

#18 Mar 27, 2009
Time After Time wrote:
Let me get this straight...you think that the police, having NO idea at before being shot at that the guy was even there let along killed anyone or that he was planning for a shootout, should have come up with a full SWAT team, armored vehicle, machine guns....you're an idiot, it was a check well being call with NO indication that this was what was going on. Idiots like you already bash the police, saying dumb crap like "police state", Nazi's, yadda yadda because you got a justified speeding ticket....now you want them to respond to a barking dog call with a SWAT team????

Since: Jan 09

Deltona, FL

#19 Mar 27, 2009
Orlando Homegrown wrote:
See, women like that give all women a bad name. For reasons that's not important, my relationship with my ex didn't work out either. But instead of dragging it through the courts we agreed that $75.00/week was a fair payment for our daughter. Well, he was paying on time as agreed for a while, but just stopped paying because he was struggling financially. And I understood, but when he finally got almost 4 months behind I had to do something. So, eventually the child support enforcement is going to set up a payment amount which most likely will be more. But I really had no choice. I understand times are tough, but they are tough for everybody, but our daughter still needs things, so I have to figure out ways to get her the things she needs even though her father wasn't paying. It's too bad that your son is struggling, but I think the courts should really take into effect of both parents. There is no reason his ex should be living the way she is and he is just scraping by. Has he thought about trying to see if he can get it modified? Situations like that is bull. She is living the high life, but his current family now is struggling? What is friggin wrong with this picture?! I really do wish your son and his family the best!
donnie

Salt Lake City, UT

#20 Mar 27, 2009
damn, i wish this guys wasted off the anthony family
SIG7

Altamonte Springs, FL

#24 Mar 30, 2009
Jay wrote:
FYI the 50 cal they are speaking of will take out armored cars. It's not the standard muzzle loader, take a look at the pictures before you try and down play Sherif's horrible event. This officer you are speaking of is a very kind hearted guy. He deserves the utmost respect. He is a very near and dear friend of mine.
SIG7

Altamonte Springs, FL

#25 Mar 30, 2009
the one wrote:
"I don't think normal people should have stuff like that. It's Orange City for crying out loud. It's not Iraq," Officer El-Shami said Sunday.
Really? so Now you seem to think like the obama nuts.
I also love the spin wftv put on this story. The jungle boy on wftv said the cop was shot at with a 50 cal. Hey dipshyt if someone shot that cop car with a 50 cal the car would be close to split in two.....
First off, if you want to quote Sherif, you should of been there to hear exactly what he said. The whole statement. I agree with him, no one should have that type of gun. A 50 cal for god's sake. He is not refering to the 223 or shot guns or even hand guns for that matter, you @$$... Sherif is loved and respected and he has my support 110%. God forbid something happens to you this horrific, I hope someone talks smack about you like this. Grow a set... We love you Sherif... Get better and remember what Sarg said, you can't fix stupid....!!!!!!
Resident

Titusville, FL

#28 Feb 5, 2011
SIG7 wrote:
<quoted text>
FYI the 50 cal they are speaking of will take out armored cars. It's not the standard muzzle loader, take a look at the pictures before you try and down play Sherif's horrible event. This officer you are speaking of is a very kind hearted guy. He deserves the utmost respect. He is a very near and dear friend of mine.
4 years later and his 15 minutes are up and he has turned into an arrogant policeman..He should move on to a differant department if he could find someone that would want him...Sorry to see how you turned out El..

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Orange City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
FL 2010 Florida Governor Race Election Results a "... (Nov '10) 1 hr Dude 2,957
Who is stealing copper wire from vacent homes ? 5 hr gone blind 2
FL Who do you support for Attorney General in Flor... (Oct '10) 8 hr Liberal forever 2,121
Perfectly Convert Panasonic VRO to Sony Vegas ... 19 hr Micheal Fu 1
Florida Supreme Court disciplines 24 attorneys Wed Dude 3
My Experience of Converting 3D AVCHD to 5.1 Ch... Tue Micheal Fu 1
My Experience of Converting 3D AVCHD to 5.1 C... Tue Micheal Fu 1
•••
Orange City Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Orange City Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000