Deltona mayor debate draws full house...

Deltona mayor debate draws full house, visions for city

There are 7 comments on the Daytona Beach News-Journal Online story from Aug 13, 2010, titled Deltona mayor debate draws full house, visions for city. In it, Daytona Beach News-Journal Online reports that:

Voters here are concerned about how to fix the city's sagging economy, foreclosure problems and lack of jobs.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Daytona Beach News-Journal Online.

Interested

AOL

#1 Aug 13, 2010
An excerpt from "Jobs drive Deltona mayoral election" by the News-Journal Online.com and updated 8/5/2010 2:15:08 AM ET:

... "Masiarczyk, who is running again after term limits forced him to leave office in 2005, touts experience as his long suit. Living in Deltona for 40 years and being active in many different roles during most of them, he knows the players, how things work and the buttons to push to turn Deltona around.
His competitors, David Santiago and Robert Desmond, suggest Masiarczyk is part of the old guard that has been unable to bring jobs to Deltona, while neighboring communities saw commercial expansion.

'Orange City thanks John Masiarczyk,' Santiago said.'They have been able to grow because of him'."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38569589/ns/38566...

Now this:

CITY OF ORANGE CITY
FY 2010-2011 PROPOSED BUDGET
Budget Highlights: Professional services has increased significantly due to funding various Tier One priority items developed from the City’s strategic planning sessions for 2010 including a Stormwater Fee Study, Fire Assessment Fee Study, and the city-wide plan/review land development codes.

GENERAL FUND EXPENDITURE DETAIL
FISCAL YEAR 10-11 (P. 37)
Account #519.315 / Description: Professional Services
ACTUAL FY 07-08 $ 4,570
ACTUAL FY 08-09 $ 10,457
ACTUAL FY 09-10 $ 29,000
PROPOSED FY 10-11 $ 253,050

http://www.ci.orange-city.fl.us/city/go ... oposed.pdf

It seems certain that Orange City is planning a commercial growth binge again ... much of Orange City's current economic growth happened on Masiarczyk's watch. It also seems certain that Orange City and its citizens will continue to have long-term benefits on the backs of Deltona and its citizens.

So what gives?
David Riffle

Bellingham, WA

#2 Aug 21, 2010
I no longer live in Deltona, but I do own properties and have had first hand experience with two of the people running for Mayor. Having moved to Deltona in 1988 and departing 2 years ago I have many years to form my opinions. I contributed to Deltona by serving on the Charter Commission 2 years ago and also participating in helping to establish a police department instead of wasting money with the Sheriff. When Mr. Masiarczyk was Mayor I was never impressed and was quite enthusiastic when Mayor Muller assumed the position. I am sorry to see that he is not running for re-election, as he was an outstanding Mayor and gentleman. I had time also to evaluate Mr. Santiago and was never impressed by him or his endeavors for Deltona. I know nothing of the other gentleman running, but I would probably back him just because of my experience with the other two.
want to move

Winter Springs, FL

#3 Aug 23, 2010
David Riffle wrote:
I no longer live in Deltona, but I do own properties and have had first hand experience with two of the people running for Mayor. Having moved to Deltona in 1988 and departing 2 years ago I have many years to form my opinions. I contributed to Deltona by serving on the Charter Commission 2 years ago and also participating in helping to establish a police department instead of wasting money with the Sheriff. When Mr. Masiarczyk was Mayor I was never impressed and was quite enthusiastic when Mayor Muller assumed the position. I am sorry to see that he is not running for re-election, as he was an outstanding Mayor and gentleman. I had time also to evaluate Mr. Santiago and was never impressed by him or his endeavors for Deltona. I know nothing of the other gentleman running, but I would probably back him just because of my experience with the other two.
You must be the lone person disappointed young foot in his mouth Mulder isn't running. The city couldn't take another four years of his repressive elistist government.The majority of the voting public didn't agree with you about the police department issue. The whole thing was a cluster F from the mistake ridden report to the lies city hall spent our money on to support their stand. Why should anyone care what the owner of rental houses thinks should happen here. You and your tenants and section 8er's bring this city down. So your one of the people that stuck us with the charter changes, bad job man. I hope you stay out of poitics where you now live.

Lisat the things Mulder did to be considered outstanding? That would be a interesting read.
Wayne

Winter Springs, FL

#4 Aug 23, 2010
Are you the Riffle that was collecting signatures to get the pd thing n the ballot. You sure fell short of the amount you needed by thousands LOL
You got all pissed off at the city because you would have had to become a political action committee and it was too complicated for you.
Riffle can't tell us what Mulder did that was outstanding because there is nothing. How about you telling us all the bloopers and blunders he committed that's way easier and will take up more space, LOL
Free At Last

Winter Springs, FL

#5 Aug 24, 2010
Riffle you wanted to stick us with another bureaucracy and then you beat it out of town. Good thing with the unemploymnet here that we don't have a police dept.to deal with and the union too.

So where the list of the outstanding things Mulder did? Outlandish is more like it. He is hiding, the one term wonder. No one wanted his endorsement. Maybe he can move to where you now live. I bet donations to move him would come pouring in.
David Riffle

Bellingham, WA

#6 Aug 25, 2010
Yes, I left Deltona after 20 years, as I see you did since your blog indicates you evidently live in Apopka, or do you? I sign my correspondence, but I see you hide behind a pseudonym.

You talk about the police department in a negative tone, but were you involved in any way pro or con? I ran the numbers and the Police Department would have been a savings over time. Anybody knows that the PD wouldn’t start one day and the Sheriff Department would depart. The Sheriff Department would always have the responsibility assisting in Deltona whether they were on a separate contract or not .. it is their duty to the citizens of Volusia County, so we had a Win-Win situation. Did you spend the hours I did talking with people and collecting enough signatures to at least have it put on the ballot? Be it a Police Department or not the citizens of Deltona had the right to decide and with it on the ballot they did. I didn’t need to become a Political Action Committee to achieve my purpose and I achieved my purpose in having it put on the ballot. Everyone I talked with, and received signatures from , was in agreement that they also were not satisfied with the coverage of the Sheriff Department so I feel very justified in my endeavor.

Due to the lack of support in our community from the Sheriff Department I initiated a neighborhood watch group in my community and had hundreds of neighbors involved. Mayor Mulder fully supported neighborhood watch and even attended a couple of our meetings along with our commissioner. Have you ever done anything to help your community? I would have welcomed your support or helped you in your neighborhood.

I volunteered for the Charter Commission and served faithfully with the other members to bring the City Charter to present time. I don’t remember many citizens attending our sessions nor inputting thoughts and ideas. Did you attend any meetings or input your ideas? We would have welcomed your inputs and you could have contributed to the new charter and been an advisor to us. Did you apply to be a member of the commission?

I get the feeling through your correspondence that all you seem to do is complain. You look for the negative in everything and everybody. Our country seems to be falling into the same category, everybody always complaining, but never coming up with solutions to problems.

Negative people often view situations as hopeless. This is usually because they are focused on the problem instead of possible solutions. I like to get people to shift their focus by asking them what could be done about any given situation. I found that communications worked very well in business throughout my career – listen, gather information and discuss.
Free At Last

Winter Springs, FL

#7 Aug 26, 2010
You say citizens wanted a police dept. but the results showed differently, who is it you talked to? You represented the minority but want to frame it like you were representing the majority. The facts are the numbers that we were recived for starting a police dept. were bogus, not factual. My understanding is that members so the Chater review committee were appointed not volunteers did that slip your mind?
What you said is a matter of public record sir, your complaints are public record.
I view the maintaining of the VCSO as a postive.
My neighborhood has a Neighborhood Watch for a while, nothing you thought up. I doubt you had hundreds of neighbors involved that would have been big news here. I see exaggeration is needed to bolster you stand.
You fought to saddle us with bureaucracy and left town. It's a good thing that the costs was exposed as bogus propoganda coming from city hall and the majority saw it for was it was, Lies.

I have bo control over where it say I'm posting from and hiding one's identity is prudent in Deltona.

You were a shill, a front man for the foot in the mouth mayor and the other confused idiots he surrounds himself with, some of whom will be departing their seats in Novemeber.
I haven't come across one citizen that is sorry he's not running, relief is what I hear, no more trashing of our city's reputation by him.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Orange City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
heroin (Feb '14) 3 hr Charlie123 8
Deltona Massacre, 5 years later? (Sep '09) Aug 14 Smith and Wesson 18
News George Zimmerman reportedly punched in face aft... Aug 7 Kev from Michigan 3
Any gay bars in deland? (Oct '09) Aug 5 Rob 5
News Deltona looks to put 'neatness, order' out on t... Aug 5 Entertained 4
who is Sanford Mayor?? Aug 3 Common Sense 1
Deltona /daytona one of the most unhealthy places (Oct '09) Aug 2 liddyditty 30

Orange City Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Orange City Mortgages