Merry Christmas Debate
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
SomethingToThink About

Opelousas, LA

#1 Oct 29, 2013
It is that time of year again, the big debate has started.

I guess the WH used Happy Holidays rather than Merry Christmas last year.

The Christmas tree is NOT a religious symbol; it is about retail and profits. So what is the big deal? The only religious tree is the one they crucified Jesus on; remember?

There are millions of greeting cards out there that have Happy Holidays and even Season's Greetings on them. Are you saying you are against these too?

Happy Holidays and Season's Greetings cover all religious holidays. I would say that is VERY diplomatic.

The Gov't gives you 100% control over your religious beliefs.

So what is really the issue here?

By the way, Christians do NOT make up the majority in the US and the number of Catholics is going down.

I was always taught that religion gives you the tools to get along with others; today, seems more like it is being used to draw lines in the sand. People using quotes from the Bible to hurt people.

Show tolerance and compassion; God does each and every day!

Something to think about!

Since: Mar 13

Location hidden

#2 Oct 29, 2013
The big deal is that Christians are losing our rights more and more each day. The secularists say they don't want to be forced to participate in our beliefs and that using the word "Christmas" in a greeting is forcing them to have some, even if tiny, participation in a Christian belief or Christian act. So, instead of giving up on the "holiday" entirely, they prefer to use another term such as the one's you mentioned. "Happy Holidays", "Seasons Greetings", whatever. What this does is it allows the secular world to tell Christians what to do. You all-inclusive people want to force us to give up our traditions, intrude on our beliefs. I've made a habit of specifically saying "Merry Christmas" when I shop at a store and a clerk uses one of the other non-religious specific greetings. If we allow all the non believers to push us around with this, they/you will continue to push and push until you push God out of every aspect of our lives. Even homeschoolers, in some states, are being bullied into not including Christianity in the teaching of their children. Where is the tolerance and compassion for Christians by secularists? It goes both ways. I am not prepared to give up my rights. To paraphrase, they'll have to pry both my bible and my weapon from my cold, dead, hands. Although, if Christians remember to hide God's Word in our hearts, we'll always be able to access it.
A wise man's heart inclines him to the right, but a fool's heart to the left.
Little FYI: holy day, which became modern English holiday, meaning both a religious festival and a day of recreation.
Libssuck

Basile, LA

#3 Oct 29, 2013
2kingsdaughter wrote:
The big deal is that Christians are losing our rights more and more each day. The secularists say they don't want to be forced to participate in our beliefs and that using the word "Christmas" in a greeting is forcing them to have some, even if tiny, participation in a Christian belief or Christian act. So, instead of giving up on the "holiday" entirely, they prefer to use another term such as the one's you mentioned. "Happy Holidays", "Seasons Greetings", whatever. What this does is it allows the secular world to tell Christians what to do. You all-inclusive people want to force us to give up our traditions, intrude on our beliefs. I've made a habit of specifically saying "Merry Christmas" when I shop at a store and a clerk uses one of the other non-religious specific greetings. If we allow all the non believers to push us around with this, they/you will continue to push and push until you push God out of every aspect of our lives. Even homeschoolers, in some states, are being bullied into not including Christianity in the teaching of their children. Where is the tolerance and compassion for Christians by secularists? It goes both ways. I am not prepared to give up my rights. To paraphrase, they'll have to pry both my bible and my weapon from my cold, dead, hands. Although, if Christians remember to hide God's Word in our hearts, we'll always be able to access it.
A wise man's heart inclines him to the right, but a fool's heart to the left.
Little FYI: holy day, which became modern English holiday, meaning both a religious festival and a day of recreation.
Curious is trying to start up an argument, saying Christians are NOT a majority in the USA. I guess, like her messiah, she would like muslims to be the majority.
http://www.ask.com/wiki/Religion_in_the_Unite...
SomethingToThink About

Opelousas, LA

#4 Oct 29, 2013
No one is taking your religious rights away from you.

You can say Merry Christmas all you want to. You can have as many Christmas Trees (even though this represents the business side of Christmas) you want to.

You, however, CANNOT tell other people what to do and say. They can refer to the holidays any which way they want to.

Religion is personal (between one man/woman and their God).

As far as the trees, maybe there should NOT be any trees on display in the public rooms of WH from now on. Agree? Only at the malls where they belong, right?

God would not want material things taking away from the "True meaning of the season". No matter if it is on the right or left side of the room.
Gunn

Elton, LA

#5 Oct 29, 2013
And you cannot tell us what to say! I bet there are more Merry Christmas' than Happy Holidays.

Who are you to decide what God wants or not? Did a Christmas tree ever hurt anyone?

Are you a Muslim? Because you are odd man out if you are, and I hope your Muslim husband throws you on a landmine soon. Or perhaps runs over you with an artillery truck.

Location hidden

#6 Oct 29, 2013
SomethingToThinkAbout wrote:
No one is taking your religious rights away from you.
You can say Merry Christmas all you want to. You can have as many Christmas Trees (even though this represents the business side of Christmas) you want to.
You, however, CANNOT tell other people what to do and say. They can refer to the holidays any which way they want to.
Religion is personal (between one man/woman and their God).
As far as the trees, maybe there should NOT be any trees on display in the public rooms of WH from now on. Agree? Only at the malls where they belong, right?l
God would not want material things taking away from the "True meaning of the season". No matter if it is on the right or left side of the room.
You can stick that tree up your arse. This isn't about trees. And who cares what they do with the current administration! Christians are expected to give up everything and just look the other way.
Intel-light

Kinder, LA

#7 Oct 29, 2013
2kingsdaughter wrote:
<quoted text>You can stick that tree up your arse. This isn't about trees. And who cares what they do with the current administration! Christians are expected to give up everything and just look the other way.
You can give up trying to argue with this moron(curious).I know who she is ,her name starts with DEB!!!

Location hidden

#8 Oct 29, 2013
Intel-light wrote:
<quoted text>You can give up trying to argue with this moron(curious).I know who she is ,her name starts with DEB!!!
Nice...Deb, Debra, Debbie, Debutante? Whatever it is, she's a black-girl wanna-be and tries to start arguments she cannot possibly win. She simply isn't equipped for it. Her mentality is grossly limited to BS leftist idealistic beliefs.
Curious

Opelousas, LA

#9 Oct 29, 2013
I think the point this person is making is that in the US, Church and State are separate and maybe religious items/traditions should NOT be in Public/Gov't bldgs. A way to keep the peace.

Throw up some festive lights and wreaths and call it a day. Decorate you homes/churches any way you want.

If you want to say Merry Christmas, do so. But, I agree, you should not be criticizing someone else for saying Happy Holidays or Season's Greetings.

As the bumper sticker says, "Jesus is the reason for the season".

Respect for all religions will be what gets us "Peace On Earth"!

Location hidden

#10 Oct 29, 2013
Curious wrote:
I think the point this person is making is that in the US, Church and State are separate and maybe religious items/traditions should NOT be in Public/Gov't bldgs. A way to keep the peace.
Throw up some festive lights and wreaths and call it a day. Decorate you homes/churches any way you want.
If you want to say Merry Christmas, do so. But, I agree, you should not be criticizing someone else for saying Happy Holidays or Season's Greetings.
As the bumper sticker says, "Jesus is the reason for the season".
Respect for all religions will be what gets us "Peace On Earth"!
Man cannot create nor find peace. Mankind, in his rebellion against God, likes to present his own versions of civilization in the best possible light. In like manner, the false prophets of Israel, as Ezekiel prophesied of our time, are to declare,“Peace; and there was [is] no peace”(13:10). God shows that peace will be elusive to those who forsake His ways.
And surely, to you as well, Curious, this will remain elusive. Since Christ said the gospel was about the kingdom of God, and men do not know what the kingdom of God is, they have concluded that the kingdom may be a particular church denomination or Christianity collectively. Others reduce it to a “warm feeling” in the “hearts of people.”
Much like the Jewish people at the time of the first coming of Christ, you miss it entirely. You go right ahead with your warm, fuzzy, cuddly feelings. Not going get too far with that, though.
A little education for you, Curious, "separation of church and state are not in the Constitution. The Constitution only forbids government sponsorship and compulsion of religious exercise by individual citizens. It does not require hermetic “separation”—implying exclusion—of religion and religious persons from public affairs of state.

Your [ideology] is sounding more like [ideology].

Location hidden

#11 Oct 29, 2013
A strict separationist view is not supported by the Constitution. Indeed, such an approach would contradict other parts of the First Amendment, in important ways. Most obviously, it would be at war with the protection of the “free exercise” of religion. If government could wall out religious persons and groups from participation in public affairs or from benefits or programs generally available to all, on the basis of neutral criteria, that would mean government could discriminate against religion. It is utter foolishness to think that the framers of the First Amendment intended such a result—and wrote an incoherent guarantee of religious liberty that contradicted itself in the same sentence, both requiring and forbidding discrimination against religion in one breath.
The strict separationist view is also at war with the freedom of speech and press, likewise protected by the First Amendment. Under a “separation” view, religious groups could not use government facilities (school buildings, public parks) for expressive purposes on the same basis as other groups. Literally dozens of Supreme Court cases reject that view. In a notable 1995 case (Rosenberger v. University of Virginia) the Court held that a state university could not refuse to fund on an even-handed basis a religious student newspaper, if it made funding available to other student publications. The Free Speech Clause forbade discrimination against religious speech or press, the Court held, and the Establishment Clause could not sensibly be read to require such discrimination.

Location hidden

#12 Oct 29, 2013
The correct understanding of the First Amendment is not that it forbids contact—and even voluntary cooperation—between church and state. Rather, it protects private religious liberty, but does so in two complementary ways. In a nutshell, government may neither compel nor prohibit religious exercise. The Establishment Clause side of the coin says that government may not prescribe religious exercise; the Free Exercise side says that government may not proscribe, disfavor or otherwise punish or prevent religious exercise voluntarily chosen by the people. But the two phrases are two sides of the same coin. It is little wonder, then, that the Supreme Court has abandoned entirely the misleading metaphor “separation of church and state.” It simply does not help explain the true meaning of the First Amendment.
This is more than a quibble. The different understanding makes a difference in results. Under a separation view, government must discriminate against religion, reject school choice “voucher” plans that include religious options, and extirpate religious references and symbols from public discourse. Under the original meaning of the Constitution, government must protect religious choices and include religious persons, groups, and speakers on an equal basis. It may recognize and accommodate religion, as long as it does not in effect compel persons to engage in religious exercises or practices against their will—the hallmark of what an “establishment of religion” was understood to mean at the time the framers wrote the First Amendment.

You and ZerO cannot rewrite the Constitution ...
American Soul

Elton, LA

#13 Oct 30, 2013
Sending Big Fat Porkbellies to Curious and a Christmas tree with a Muslim child who will appear at midnite that has been run over by a truck compliments of the Muslim father!
Curious

Opelousas, LA

#14 Oct 30, 2013
American Soul wrote:
Sending Big Fat Porkbellies to Curious and a Christmas tree with a Muslim child who will appear at midnite that has been run over by a truck compliments of the Muslim father!
You forgot to include "in the name of Jesus Christ our Lord and Savior" at the end of your post.

You are welcome.

This is exactly what I am speaking to. Look at your nasty posts in the name of God, REALLY?

Location hidden

#15 Oct 30, 2013
You, Curious, are NOT welcome. Keep making fun of God, of Christ and He will eventually show up...
American Soul

Elton, LA

#16 Oct 30, 2013
Curious wrote:
<quoted text>
You forgot to include "in the name of Jesus Christ our Lord and Savior" at the end of your post.
You are welcome.
This is exactly what I am speaking to. Look at your nasty posts in the name of God, REALLY?
Look at your anti-God posts. You are pro Muslim.
Curious

Opelousas, LA

#17 Oct 30, 2013
2kingsdaughter wrote:
You, Curious, are NOT welcome. Keep making fun of God, of Christ and He will eventually show up...
God lives through my compassionate soul!

Location hidden

#18 Oct 30, 2013
Warm fuzzy feelings. . .yup, hmmmm.
Libssuck

Basile, LA

#19 Oct 30, 2013
2kingsdaughter wrote:
<quoted text>Man cannot create nor find peace. Mankind, in his rebellion against God, likes to present his own versions of civilization in the best possible light. In like manner, the false prophets of Israel, as Ezekiel prophesied of our time, are to declare,“Peace; and there was [is] no peace”(13:10). God shows that peace will be elusive to those who forsake His ways.
And surely, to you as well, Curious, this will remain elusive. Since Christ said the gospel was about the kingdom of God, and men do not know what the kingdom of God is, they have concluded that the kingdom may be a particular church denomination or Christianity collectively. Others reduce it to a “warm feeling” in the “hearts of people.”
Much like the Jewish people at the time of the first coming of Christ, you miss it entirely. You go right ahead with your warm, fuzzy, cuddly feelings. Not going get too far with that, though.
A little education for you, Curious, "separation of church and state are not in the Constitution. The Constitution only forbids government sponsorship and compulsion of religious exercise by individual citizens. It does not require hermetic “separation”—implying exclusion—of religion and religious persons from public affairs of state.
Your [ideology] is sounding more like [ideology].
Curious does NOT believe in the Constitution of the U.S. Apparently she'd rather follow dear leader into the bowels of hell (to which they are surely headed).

Location hidden

#20 Oct 31, 2013
Libssuck wrote:
<quoted text>
Curious does NOT believe in the Constitution of the U.S. Apparently she'd rather follow dear leader into the bowels of hell (to which they are surely headed).
But...she does believe in Obama! And she believes in God, apparently. She does make reference to Him, she just believes in a [god] who represents love and does not hold us accountable for anything. Her Pharaoh complex is worrisome. None of the government plagues seem to phase her at all. Some of us know that “every knee shall bow, In heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord,”(Philippians 2:10,11). I actually fear for her. But like so many of the so-called liberal believers, she wants a free ticket to heaven by just believing and not serving God. A child of God will know that he/she is held accountable and will be disciplined for our actions when they do not line up with His Word.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Opelousas Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
I think my wife is cheating (Oct '12) 3 hr Concerned citizen 11
Racism and politics 3 hr Concerned citizen 4
stepson is wrecking my marriage 12 hr opelousas15 5
Lester Clavier Mon Mrs HLCOMEAUX 2
News A Ville Platte man accused of arson says he is ... Jun 28 Chastitty Belt 1
Whats the deal with Detective Wolf Jun 28 Sansou 6
AMERICAN FLAG and pledge in school Jun 28 Mrs HLCOMEAUX 1
More from around the web

Opelousas People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE