Forgotten Race and Ethnic Groups

Forgotten Race and Ethnic Groups

Posted in the Opelousas Forum

Wondering

United States

#1 Mar 1, 2013
This will probably attract the black and white racists but I'm judt wondering why Americans make such big deal about Black History, a whole month of TV shows, public ceremonies, activities at our public schools and so on. America's black history is based on African slaves which later became free and equal to white Americans and all the hardships and accomplishments over the African Americans time in the U.S. It's a sad and horrible story with a happy ending which doesnt need to be forgotten. My dilema is, why we don't make a huge deal of the other people that suffered, endured and overcome? Example, such as the original people of America, the Native Americans, commonly known as indians. November is Native American Heritage month but you dont see TV shows, walks, public speeches or any national recognition as we do with Black History Month. Natives were also enslaved, they were herded like cattle and forced away from their homes, they were raped, murdered, hunted like wild game, the race nearly completely erased. America is thriving with black people. Native Americans make up less than 1% of the US population. I'm all for recognizing the history of Americans of any race or ethnic groups but let's be fair across the board. Germans, Irish, French, Italians, Chinese and many more came to America and were mistreated as well and have endured and overcome things too. I believe we are keeping racism alive by focusing on one group. How about we make a big deal and focus in an All the People of America History Month?!
Equality for All

United States

#2 Mar 1, 2013
Wondering wrote:
This will probably attract the black and white racists but I'm judt wondering why Americans make such big deal about Black History, a whole month of TV shows, public ceremonies, activities at our public schools and so on. America's black history is based on African slaves which later became free and equal to white Americans and all the hardships and accomplishments over the African Americans time in the U.S. It's a sad and horrible story with a happy ending which doesnt need to be forgotten. My dilema is, why we don't make a huge deal of the other people that suffered, endured and overcome? Example, such as the original people of America, the Native Americans, commonly known as indians. November is Native American Heritage month but you dont see TV shows, walks, public speeches or any national recognition as we do with Black History Month. Natives were also enslaved, they were herded like cattle and forced away from their homes, they were raped, murdered, hunted like wild game, the race nearly completely erased. America is thriving with black people. Native Americans make up less than 1% of the US population. I'm all for recognizing the history of Americans of any race or ethnic groups but let's be fair across the board. Germans, Irish, French, Italians, Chinese and many more came to America and were mistreated as well and have endured and overcome things too. I believe we are keeping racism alive by focusing on one group. How about we make a big deal and focus in an All the People of America History Month?!
I agree
Yes

United States

#3 Mar 1, 2013
Totally agree.
native american

Opelousas, LA

#4 Mar 2, 2013
Wondering wrote:
Topix should have a Like button!
VPlova

United States

#6 Mar 21, 2013
Not that I am a fan of that whole month, but I get why they do it. Black history and the contributions of MANY if not all black Americans are/have been glossed over or poorly represented in textbooks and in society as a whole. Only in the last generation or so have they been covered, so, in my humble understanding of such practices, it is to bring awareness, if in a heavy handed way, to the good parts of a history of a people that had been largely ignored in the past in America.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Opelousas Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Black women 10 hr Charlie 3
jennifer york 13 hr Keith zerangue 3
Review: Fontenot Marguerite W School Of Dance-T... (Apr '13) 16 hr Rara 2
Evangeline parish president Donald Bergeron at ... Wed Sansou 15
What's going on at City Hall Wed Just saying 9
Jackass Wed fishing demonstra... 4
Town Hall worker stealing money Wed Ohhhhhh 2
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Opelousas Mortgages