Stop! Hammer time!
what you mean

Sunset, LA

#3 May 10, 2013
sound funny but got the right to unless it was at someone
TJB

Iowa, LA

#4 May 10, 2013
Just saw it on the news.I am not surprised by his behavior,he used to whip kids with a garden hose when he was an agriculture teacher at Church Point Middle.This aint the seventies anymore Gene!!!!!
old school

Mandeville, LA

#5 May 11, 2013
TJB wrote:
Just saw it on the news.I am not surprised by his behavior,he used to whip kids with a garden hose when he was an agriculture teacher at Church Point Middle.This aint the seventies anymore Gene!!!!!
In this day and age maybe a hose would not be a bad idea when you have so many teachers having to leave their jobs because of the discipline problems in schools. All I got to say they better start building more jails, if you can not do anything with them in schools how will society be able to handle them.
Family Values Screwed

Branch, LA

#6 May 11, 2013
Violence is NEVER the answer! Gene Daigle, if he did throw the hammer on purpose, is 100% WRONG! If things are that far out of control and this is the best he can do, then he needs to get out of teaching, now! He could have hit an innocent bystander. I could be wrong, but I did not hear that he did this in self defense. That is NOT teaching; no excuse for it.

If kids are having issues at home, take them out and put them in foster care or build boarding schools (parents pay child support to take care of the costs); a better solution than building more prisons. Kids need a good start in life.

We want good citizens all the way around.
TJB

Iowa, LA

#7 May 11, 2013
old school wrote:
<quoted text>
In this day and age maybe a hose would not be a bad idea when you have so many teachers having to leave their jobs because of the discipline problems in schools. All I got to say they better start building more jails, if you can not do anything with them in schools how will society be able to handle them.
Okay,next time you have a discipline problem with one of your children or grand children cut yourself a piece of garden hose and whack them with it.After you see the results of the kind of marks and bruising it leaves you may have a change of heart and will surely be arrested for excessive child abuse.I believe in discipline but a garden hose is insane.
Solution

United States

#8 May 12, 2013
A possible solution to the discipline issue in schools is to bring back reform schools.

We don't want to just suspend/expel the disorderly students because then the will be robbing the citizens homes while they are at work.

Reforms schools should be like military schools. You have regular classes and then classes to teach the students manners and how to show others respect (after they learn to respect themselves).

There should be classes in manners and respect starting in pre-k all the way through 12th grade graduation. Taught to follow the "golden rule". Religion should be taught at home, not in schools. If taught at home, will spill over into their school life.

We want to get away from expanding the prison system!
Obamabots

Breaux Bridge, LA

#9 May 18, 2013
No violence in the schools? The students now beat the teachers! This is why we are running out of teachers! He should have wiped out the whole class like a strike in a bowling game.

When teachers were known to be the head of the classroom, and were not afraid to beat the shit out of unruly and violent students, there was no need to throw hammers.

Today's parents do not correct their children, nor teach them any boundaries. Then they turn them loose on innocent teachers and society.

Put tasers in the classroom. Give the teacher the right to defend themselves and to send the right message to students! End the violence.
Agree

Sunset, LA

#10 May 18, 2013
Obamabots wrote:
No violence in the schools? The students now beat the teachers! This is why we are running out of teachers! He should have wiped out the whole class like a strike in a bowling game.
When teachers were known to be the head of the classroom, and were not afraid to beat the shit out of unruly and violent students, there was no need to throw hammers.
Today's parents do not correct their children, nor teach them any boundaries. Then they turn them loose on innocent teachers and society.
Put tasers in the classroom. Give the teacher the right to defend themselves and to send the right message to students! End the violence.
I agree with you
Enough

Opelousas, LA

#11 May 18, 2013
Agree with what?

These are young people who tend to react based on their environment.

The teacher knew better, or should have! If the schools are run correctly, it should NEVER be about the teacher!

Violence is Never The answer.

These kids must have a terrible home life and then go to school to have a teacher throw hammers.

What?
Obamabots

Breaux Bridge, LA

#12 May 19, 2013
Enough wrote:
Agree with what?
These are young people who tend to react based on their environment.
The teacher knew better, or should have! If the schools are run correctly, it should NEVER be about the teacher!
Violence is Never The answer.
These kids must have a terrible home life and then go to school to have a teacher throw hammers.
What?
It is not the teacher's fault that the students are a bunch of hyenas! It is the parents fault. Violence is never the answer? Then you and every other failure of a parent teach that to the sociopaths you turn loose in the classrooms and then into an unsuspecting world. And quit carrying the pity pot everywhere you go. If you cannot teach your children to be human DO NOT HAVE ANY!
Enough

Opelousas, LA

#13 May 19, 2013
When kids misbehave, abuse drugs, rob homes, get pregnant out of marriage..., so you are saying parents should be punished? Put in jail? Cost taxpayers more?

From day one, the schools should be run like military schools. Teaching manners, discipline and respect to all. Those not following the rules will be put in boarding military schools (sent away) at the cost to the parents (child support). One way or the other, the kids need education or else they will rob you, kill you or sell drugs to your kids.

The whole point is to break the cycle; not call people names, right?
Enough

Opelousas, LA

#14 May 19, 2013
Gene Daigle was wrong to throw the hammer. Even he says so!
AGREE AGREE

Sunset, LA

#15 May 19, 2013
Obamabots wrote:
<quoted text>
It is not the teacher's fault that the students are a bunch of hyenas! It is the parents fault. Violence is never the answer? Then you and every other failure of a parent teach that to the sociopaths you turn loose in the classrooms and then into an unsuspecting world. And quit carrying the pity pot everywhere you go. If you cannot teach your children to be human DO NOT HAVE ANY!
I still agree with you , MY children are grown and I did wipe them when they done wrong in class Even had them to extra school work and told them from day one every one who worked at school was their mother or father and they HAD to listen to them And the same goes for my two grand children So enough you are wrong and think what you want but all teachers should have the right to wipe my children didn't die from it
Enough

Opelousas, LA

#16 May 19, 2013
AGREE AGREE wrote:
<quoted text> I still agree with you , MY children are grown and I did wipe them when they done wrong in class Even had them to extra school work and told them from day one every one who worked at school was their mother or father and they HAD to listen to them And the same goes for my two grand children So enough you are wrong and think what you want but all teachers should have the right to wipe my children didn't die from it
OK, let's say that hammer, meant for another student, hit your child and left him a vegetable for the rest of his life. You would be OK with that?

Or let's say it was you kid standing up to the teacher and the teacher hit your kid with the hammer, in anger not meaning real harm, and it killed him. You are saying your kid would have deserved it???

Violence is NEVER the answer. Gene Daigle would agree with me. He told the police he did not mean to hurt anyone, just scare the student.

Just because no harm came to anyone, doesn't mean it was OK for the teacher to do it. Mr. Daigle should drop to his knees, and I am sure he did, and thank God that no one was harmed.

I am by NO means saying that student was in the right, but he is a kid and deserved the correct non violent punishment. Let's say, suspended with extra school work to do at home. Then come back to school and issue an apology to Mr. Daigle in front of the whole school.

Students that threaten or hurt teachers should be turned over to law enforcement. Teachers are there to teach.
read first

Sunset, LA

#17 May 19, 2013
I said wipe them would be ok at no time did I say any thing about throwing a hammer read what is put down not what you want to read you must be one who write before they read I did not say any of your crap you wrote to me I know Mr. Daigle he a very good man all around You are the one talking about him I put wiping a child would be ok then and now you are the one who keep on with the hammer change your name to read first and stop with the hammer
Whew

Ville Platte, LA

#18 May 20, 2013
read first wrote:
I said wipe them would be ok at no time did I say any thing about throwing a hammer read what is put down not what you want to read you must be one who write before they read I did not say any of your crap you wrote to me I know Mr. Daigle he a very good man all around You are the one talking about him I put wiping a child would be ok then and now you are the one who keep on with the hammer change your name to read first and stop with the hammer
I think the word you are searching for is "whip"not wipe..
Enough

Covington, LA

#19 May 20, 2013
First, I don't think you can give others permission to whip your child. Police are not allowed to whip people either.

Second, you would not want to give anyone that authority. What if that teacher was having a bad day and whipped the crap out of your kid for a small infraction? Can you imagine what that would do to your kid mentally, not to mention physically?

Again, violence is never the answer.

Mr. Daigle was NOT trying to hit anyone with the hammer, from my understanding of his police statement. The student's parent did not call the police. Last week another teacher threw the top of a desk at a student because he refused to take out his workbook. When will it stop? When a student is accidently badly hurt or killed?

Again, teachers are there to teach pre arranged studies; not teach religion nor discipline the students. That is the point they are making. They need help with this! Military style schools and possibly bring back reform schools are possible solutions. Teach the students there are consequences to their negative actions and what is the correct way to behave in public.

Keep in mind, these are kids and this is the time to teach them the right way to handle themselves!

We don't want to build more jails to house teachers nor students, right?
Obamabots

Breaux Bridge, LA

#20 May 20, 2013
Enough wrote:
When kids misbehave, abuse drugs, rob homes, get pregnant out of marriage..., so you are saying parents should be punished? Put in jail? Cost taxpayers more?
From day one, the schools should be run like military schools. Teaching manners, discipline and respect to all. Those not following the rules will be put in boarding military schools (sent away) at the cost to the parents (child support). One way or the other, the kids need education or else they will rob you, kill you or sell drugs to your kids.
The whole point is to break the cycle; not call people names, right?
The whole point, which you refuse to understand, is that children are the parent's responsibility. If they are taught right at home, they will not behave like criminals in school! DO NOT throw your responsibilities on everyone and everything else and blame them for your incompetence. Sounds like you are a democrat! Children are sent to school to learn. It is not the teacher's job to do the parent's job. They are barely paid enough already. Yes, if the child is a problem, the parent should have to pay for reform school, or whatever they failed to do in the first place. Punish the parent!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Opelousas Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Where is the improvements???? (Jul '15) Sat LamiBilat 8
Dwayne Ledoux (Mar '13) Apr 21 RJD 84
pbhs does not care about our kids being bullied Apr 18 PEACE 9
st landry ems vs; acaidian amb. (Dec '06) Apr 12 Crooked company 69
drainage problems (Jan '09) Apr 12 Concerned Citizen 13
Shane cp cop (Feb '16) Apr 9 T Man 13
Heather Thibodeaux (Apr '09) Apr 9 Heather 112

Opelousas Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance