Alabama lesbian's alleged Opelika attack raises hate crime controversy

Feb 10, 2011 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Everything Alabama

A lesbian Alabama woman's claims that she was attacked by a group of people outside an Opelika bar are raising discussion on advocacy sites about whether the case equates to a hate crime.

Comments
1 - 15 of 15 Comments Last updated Mar 19, 2012

“I'm here to make friends, etc.”

Since: Sep 10

Fernandina Beach, Florida

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2011

Judged:

I'm glad we have the federal hate crime law now.
aurora1

Hot Springs Village, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2011

Judged:

She was intoxicated, in a bar fight, and still tussling when the fight was being broken up at a 'birthday party'.
I find it utterly DISGUSTING when people choose to cry HATE crime instead of owning up to their ignorance and law-breaking behavior. For those of us who have shown restraint, even when our lives have been assaulted and interfered with when we WISH we had physically fought back harder, I truly look at others as they should feel disgraced. Fighting is not an answer, and noone should TAKE IT when life is not following their paths choice, but this is clearly not one of those cases!
Someone started looking at, making moves on, or talking smack to someone elses date/playmate and another person got upset- history of relationships which people have to get over and grow up.
aurora1

Hot Springs Village, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2011

She was at the microphone singing karaoke, it is possible she was bad and someone made a remark which taunted her or she made another comment which brought about conversation which didn't go well. She was not a shy person in the crowd that night.
EPTFS

Hayfield, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2011

Judged:

Just another fraud and hoax for publicity and money, like the rest.
People who stage and file false hate crimes should get the same sentence an imaginary attacker would've received.
woodcutterron

Lanett, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 16, 2011

Judged:

She was allegedly attacked by a group of people. Folks participating in the alleged assault should pay the price for attacking someone. Whether it was because she was a lesbian, or because she really bombed a song, or because she was wearing pink sneakers is irrelevant.

The beliefs of the perpetrators is irrelevant. It's the assault that caused harm. Prosecute the crime, not a belief. Getting beaten hurts no more or no less, be it for being gay, or being a bad singer.

"Hate crime" is a Judicial fallacy. "Crime" suffices.

Since: Oct 10

Hot Springs Village, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2011

Judged:

woodcutterron wrote:
She was allegedly attacked by a group of people. Folks participating in the alleged assault should pay the price for attacking someone. Whether it was because she was a lesbian, or because she really bombed a song, or because she was wearing pink sneakers is irrelevant.
The beliefs of the perpetrators is irrelevant. It's the assault that caused harm. Prosecute the crime, not a belief. Getting beaten hurts no more or no less, be it for being gay, or being a bad singer.
"Hate crime" is a Judicial fallacy. "Crime" suffices.
I oppose classifying people into a category of lesbian/homo and the like because someone wears pink sneakers.
I am a woman who finds the touch of another female in an attempt to be sensual an attrocity and skin crawling, however have close friends who I feel a hug when happy to see one another or sad as you hope to be there when times are tough should not be judged. We do receive narrowing glances from 'couples' when out with same sex 'friends' who enjoy outings at events, and Society is plagued with the Mother of Assumptions!
If this was about pink sneakers, so help us all, I hope to find just the right pair, however my size is difficult to find.
woodcutterron

Lanett, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2011

I meant Green sneakers.

Hot Springs Village, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2011

It should still depend on who through the first punch. Sticks and Stones do break bones and words cut like a knife, but how did the 'brawl begin'?

Hot Springs Village, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2011

threw/through... ick...
woodcutterron

Lanett, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2011

Judged:

Well ...Someone once tried to rob me at knifepoint ... I wasn't worried nearly as much by the would-be robbers words as was with that danged knife, heheh. I get your 'point' though.(pardon the bad pun)

I think anyone in this situation involved in any manner but defensive should be charged for the actual crime, without regard to why. It doesn't matter why, what matters is the actual harm caused.
yes

Belfry, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 5, 2011

awful
Irving

Pulaski, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 6, 2011

Judged:

Only a mental cripple would welcome the Orwellian words "hate crimes" into the everyday lexicon.
Whaaattt

Auburn University, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 7, 2011

Irving wrote:
Only a mental cripple would welcome the Orwellian words "hate crimes" into the everyday lexicon.
i agree 100%

If I call her a stupid dyke....maybe its because she is one, not because I am full of hate.
Disgust and hatred are completely different things.

Did that person who stole from me hate me?? It doesnt matter!! My shit is gone either way :)
liberals are evil losers

Pulaski, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 7, 2011

Whaaattt wrote:
<quoted text>
i agree 100%
If I call her a stupid dyke....maybe its because she is one, not because I am full of hate.
Disgust and hatred are completely different things.
Did that person who stole from me hate me?? It doesnt matter!! My shit is gone either way :)
Liberals can't survive in the real world, so they band together, don crisp Brown Shirts, and round everyone else into the cattle cars.

I've been slapping around a liberal shitferbrains who thinks that "fairness" should be legislated on the rest of us. Err America failed miserably in the marketplace of ideas, and the libtards want to force equal time on those who, at least for now, have the freedom to NOT be forced to eat their shit sandwiches.

----------

Waaaaaaah!!!!

I opened a sandwich shop, and I offered 100 percent pure shit on stale bread, and only the people from the mental hospital down the street ever frequented my place.

BOO HOO!!!!

Itís not fair!!!! Others offer something different, something that apparently people like, because they keep going back again and again and again. There oughta be a law that I be successful!

I want people to be forced to reach into their wallets and give me green pieces of paper, even though I offer only shit.

SOB!!!!

I donít believe in religion, by the way, but I do believe in Evolution, and yet Survival of the Fittest means nothing to me. I demand that Civilization bend to the demands of the mentally ill and the second class.

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2012

Too many people cry and use 'hate crime' when a common sense approach to why events have happened should be investigated and understanding why and why people should not behave the way they do would be so much more peaceful.
I dont believe that receiving a coupon to give a fraction of cost of a product you manufacture, transport to market, and sell under SEC strict rules, can ever replace the ability to have funds in your own bank account and withdraw cash to take care of yourself. There are No dollars which can make sense today, as coupons do NOT CUT MUSTARD.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Opelika Discussions

Search the Opelika Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
AL Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Alabama i... (Oct '10) 20 hr Give me a break 203
Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) Jul 23 Give Him a Brain 84
Review: Ecological Pool Systems Jul 20 Deana Mann 1
Review: Premier Obgyn Jul 20 amber 4
Clash of clans Jun '14 Mtbaker3343 1
AL Who do you support for Governor in Alabama in 2... (Oct '10) Jun '14 Rep 704
AL Recent tornado outbreak in South may set new re... (Apr '11) Jun '14 ThomasA 416
•••
•••
•••
•••

Opelika Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Opelika People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••