Lee County: Hate crime allegations

Feb 4, 2011 Full story: www2.wrbl.com 96

Allegations of a hate crime in Lee County are stirring questions about an Alabama law that reads like hate crime legislation. That law target crimes motivated by a victim's race, color, religion, national origin, ethnicity, or physical or mental ability (Alabama Criminal Code Title 13A-5-13). Despite a federal amendment by President Barack Obama, Alabama's law does not include sexual orientation. Nonetheless, Sheriff Jay Jones says his deputies are trained to report hate bias anyway, but that is not what happened Saturday night after a gay woman was beaten outside The Villa off Highway 169 in Opelika, according to police reports.

Read more
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

“I am happy”

Since: Jul 08

St. Petersburg, FL

#1 Feb 4, 2011
Okay, this story is interesting and I do not wish to blame the victim or victims for anything, but the story is not entirely clear. Plus, alcohol was a factor, so I am hard pressed to state whether this could have played some level of influence.
yeeti34

Opelika, AL

#2 Feb 4, 2011
Nobody gets beat down outside a bar unless they did something to deserve it.
if de-yikes and fa gs want to go out in public and attempt to spread their cancer, they have to expect consequences

“Reality is better than truth.”

Since: Nov 09

Indianapolis

#3 Feb 4, 2011
I go where I choose. If rednecks and morons don't like it, they are free to be seriously injured at my hand.
yeeti34 wrote:
if de-yikes and fa gs want to go out in public and attempt to spread their cancer, they have to expect consequences

“I am happy”

St. Petersburg, FL

#4 Feb 5, 2011
yeeti34 wrote:
If sexual orientation played a role in this, it was only due to the level of alcohol people were drinking. Granted, gays and lesbians can become an easy mark, but throw in alcohol and people simply get stupid for no reason at all when they are in any kind of social setting.

Furthermore, one of the persons that were attacked happened to be a lesbian and the other one was her friend and she is heterosexual.....

“I am happy”

St. Petersburg, FL

#5 Feb 5, 2011
cpeter1313 wrote:
I go where I choose. If rednecks and morons don't like it, they are free to be seriously injured at my hand.
<quoted text>
How very butch........

Indianapolis

#6 Feb 5, 2011
Not really; I simply have no intention of being anyone's victim. Every gay person should be able to defend themselves.
StevenFL wrote:
<quoted text>
How very butch........

Since: Oct 09

Location hidden

#7 Feb 5, 2011
That is funny. You do remember Mike Tyson got his butt kicked. There is always someone bigger and badder.
cpeter1313 wrote:
<quoted text>

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#8 Feb 5, 2011
It really makes no difference wether or not Alabama chooses to enforce the Federal law ... the FEDS will over them... I will reach out to this victim with my contacts at the Federal Dept of Justice... carry their number in my purse and meet in person with them last March in DC.....

Nice try rednecks in Alabama... but no fly for you

Indianapolis

#9 Feb 5, 2011
Tyson is a boxer; that's a very limiting fighting style. He's also an idiot. He would try to punch someone: I would probably blind them.
Honest AbeL wrote:
That is funny. You do remember Mike Tyson got his butt kicked. There is always someone bigger and badder.
<quoted text>

Location hidden

#10 Feb 5, 2011
No they won't, you dolt. The feds cannot step in unless the state requests them to do so. Sorry half-breed
Krystal Mountaine1 wrote:
It really makes no difference wether or not Alabama chooses to enforce the Federal law ... the FEDS will over them... I will reach out to this victim with my contacts at the Federal Dept of Justice... carry their number in my purse and meet in person with them last March in DC.....
Nice try rednecks in Alabama... but no fly for you

Location hidden

#11 Feb 5, 2011
You can dance all you want but I am certain you are not the baddest man on the planet. I am amazed that attitude has not already shown you the error of your ways
cpeter1313 wrote:
Tyson is a boxer; that's a very limiting fighting style. He's also an idiot. He would try to punch someone: I would probably blind them.
<quoted text>

Location hidden

#12 Feb 5, 2011
Honest AbeL wrote:
No they won't, you dolt. The feds cannot step in unless the state requests them to do so. Sorry half-breed
<quoted text>
Oh you are so wrong and have never read the full text of the Matthew sheppard act... it clearly states the feds may intervene when it is demonstrated that their interest in justice is not fully met.... Heeeeelllloooo wack job.. I was a part of pushing the bill... and spent time in DC regarding it... why do you think i'm on a first name basis with two federal civil rights prosecutors in the US Dept of Justice

Nice try but once again your Dumb

Location hidden

#13 Feb 5, 2011
Honest AbeL wrote:
<quoted text>
You know just because of your ignorance ... hell I will still get in touch with the victim, but call the my buddies at the feds this coming week on her behalf... They actually told me these were the type cases they wanted anyway.... thanks for the inspiration...loser... now maybe with your help we can get a few rednecks some federal time

Indianapolis

#14 Feb 5, 2011
And, as always, you would be wrong. The feds can step in when the civil rights of citizens are ignored by the local authorities. WTF do you think the civil rights movement was about?
Honest AbeL wrote:
<quoted text>

Indianapolis

#15 Feb 5, 2011
I don't have to be the "baddest" man; just smarter than my opponent. And it helps that I never get drunk.
Honest AbeL wrote:
You can dance all you want but I am certain you are not the baddest man on the planet. I am amazed that attitude has not already shown you the error of your ways
<quoted text>

Location hidden

#16 Feb 5, 2011
Honest AbeL wrote:
<quoted text>
Ha....HA your wrong loser!!!!!

Indianapolis

#17 Feb 5, 2011
DisAbel is always wrong. As a matter of fact, if you take his posts and do the opposite, you will ALWAYS be in the right.
<quoted text>
Ha....HA your wrong loser!!!!!

Location hidden

#18 Feb 5, 2011
Sorry sweaty but unlike you I can read

Sec. 4704. Support for Criminal Investigations and Prosecutions by State, Local, and Tribal Law Enforcement Officials.

(a) Assistance Other Than Financial Assistance.—

(1) IN GENERAL.—

At the request of a State, local, or tribal law enforcement agency, the Attorney General may provide technical, forensic, prosecutorial, or any other form of assistance in the criminal investigation or prosecution of any crime that—

(A) constitutes a crime of violence;

(B) constitutes a felony under the State, local, or tribal laws; and

(C) is motivated by prejudice based on the actual or perceived race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, or disability of the victim, or is a violation of the State, local, or tribal hate crime laws.
<quoted text>
Oh you are so wrong and have never read the full text of the Matthew sheppard act... it clearly states the feds may intervene when it is demonstrated that their interest in justice is not fully met.... Heeeeelllloooo wack job.. I was a part of pushing the bill... and spent time in DC regarding it... why do you think i'm on a first name basis with two federal civil rights prosecutors in the US Dept of Justice
Nice try but once again your Dumb

Location hidden

#19 Feb 5, 2011
You don't have any friend you child predator.
<quoted text>
You know just because of your ignorance ... hell I will still get in touch with the victim, but call the my buddies at the feds this coming week on her behalf... They actually told me these were the type cases they wanted anyway.... thanks for the inspiration...loser... now maybe with your help we can get a few rednecks some federal time

Location hidden

#20 Feb 5, 2011
It doesn't always help. It may help ease your pain when you run into the wrong person. I don't wish you any harm I have just witnessed the failings of that kind of mentality many times
cpeter1313 wrote:
I don't have to be the "baddest" man; just smarter than my opponent. And it helps that I never get drunk.
<quoted text>

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Opelika Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Bama winning the whole National Championship Mar 19 _JFG_ 4
News In case of school shooter, grab a can of beans ... Feb '15 Old Goat 1
auburn baseball Feb '15 Benny 2
News Principal: Let students hurl canned food at int... Jan '15 Neandertroll 11
Why am I criticized? Jan '15 Stannis 4
asian massage parlors (Feb '08) Dec '14 Wade1402 19
Consuela Allen (Mar '10) Dec '14 gotti 6
Opelika Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web