California seeks to ban free, single-...

California seeks to ban free, single-use carryout bags in retail

There are 5132 comments on the Chain Store Age story from Jun 5, 2010, titled California seeks to ban free, single-use carryout bags in retail. In it, Chain Store Age reports that:

New York City The California State Assembly on Wednesday narrowly approved a bill would make California the first state in the nation to ban single-use plastic and paper bags from being handed out free of charge at supermarkets, drug stores, convenience stores and liquor stores.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chain Store Age.

Dump Bin

San Dimas, CA

#2490 May 24, 2011
The water closet is two floors down.

Since: May 11

Baldwin Park, CA

#2492 May 25, 2011
I find it interesting that none of the beverage manufacturers or retailers of beverages provide their containers that wreak havoc on the environment for free and people are okay with that, but somehow getting charged for grocery bags is out of the question. :\
Dump Bin

West Covina, CA

#2493 May 25, 2011
I felt the air rush into my body and I felt like it was going to explode from my foot, he told local media from his hospital bed in the town of Whakatane, on North Island's east coast.
Stop the Dream Act

United States

#2494 May 25, 2011
I wished that Gray Davis, Arnold Schwarzenegger and Jerry Brown would have never been elected in the first place! What a BIG MISTAKE for California!
Dump Bin

San Dimas, CA

#2495 May 25, 2011
Nothing but windys, blows around here anymore.
OH KNOW

Hesperia, CA

#2496 May 27, 2011
The town of Phelan is doing it again. They are useing illegal alien anchor brats to build Phelan road. What do the thousands of Americans think driving thrugh there. Where is ICE? These are American jobs. So why are they giving all the work to the illegals. Whos in back of this. They are useing my tax money to pay wetbacks to do my job, while im unemployed. Americans are mad as hell at this one. I would not doubt if we do not here about shots being fired.
Dump Bin

West Covina, CA

#2497 May 27, 2011
Since Burt’s death, his descendants tried multiple times to get portions of the “golden egg” by attempting to break the trust in court, but none was successful in having any significant part of his estate awarded.

The strange case, which became public earlier this month,“one of the most bizarre, if not the most bizarre, ways of distributing money after death that I have ever run into.”
Grace

Midway City, CA

#2498 May 28, 2011
I'm fine with using re-useable bags. Just wish I didn't have to get taxed every time I need to buy a new one.
CBS

Hesperia, CA

#2499 May 28, 2011
They are going to do away with plastic bags. Ok, what about when you buy fruit, vegetables and things that you need a plastic bag for. What next, bring your own shopping cart. We are being over run by undocumented illegal alien scum and Americas idiots can only think about plastic bags. who on earth is in back of all of this. If its just a handful of people then we need to get rid of them now. IDIOTS. Id like to see the mayor of Los Angeles get replaced by an American. Remember, hiring an American is the same as made in America. Like they say white is right. And clean
Red bull gets u hard

Sacramento, CA

#2500 May 28, 2011
Grace wrote:
I'm fine with using re-useable bags. Just wish I didn't have to get taxed every time I need to buy a new one.
Now that's an idea... Reusable bags and no tax. That would boost that market.
Dump Bin

La Puente, CA

#2501 May 28, 2011
Water remains a key issue. In addition to possible contamination of surface and underground water from fracking fluids, the sheer volume of water required poses challenges, especially in South Texas, which faces a severe drought and rapidly diminishing water levels in the local aquifer.

At the rate wells are being drilled,“there’s definitely going to be a problem,” said Bay L., a local water official.
Nobody

La Canada Flintridge, CA

#2502 May 28, 2011
are these the same Geniuses who make laws like
"Giving or receiving oral sex is prohibited."
OH WAIT thats just in San Francisco my mistake.

BUSTED:-p
Call Of

La Puente, CA

#2503 May 28, 2011
Mabhunu, a murder detective, is in police detention at barracks on the outskirts of Bulawayo. The legality of the case against him was challenged by Beatrice Mtetwa, a leading Zimbabwean human rights lawyer.

"There has to be a law saying the toilet is the president's, but this was a public one," she said. "They will have had to issue a proclamation in the government gazette specifying it. I bet they didn't do that."
victor

Los Angeles, CA

#2504 May 28, 2011
Until this new law, the price of the bags was included in the price of the items sold. Charging for the bags, retailers will make more money, or they will reduce the prices of the items sold in these bags. In both cases it's the consumer that pays the bags.
The new law does not change who pays for the bags, but makes the buying more time wasting, and the retailers more prone to gouge the consumers.
victor

Los Angeles, CA

#2505 May 28, 2011
this is a anti consumer law.
victor

Los Angeles, CA

#2506 May 28, 2011
this is a fu@$ law.
sam

Los Angeles, CA

#2507 May 28, 2011
Good law.

“Purple girl in a purple world”

Since: Apr 08

Plum, Purplonia

#2508 May 29, 2011
Why is this an issue. Don't most Californians shoplift anyway?
Out There

La Puente, CA

#2509 May 29, 2011
Wimmer’s bill will be considered and debated in the new year when the 2012 legislative session begins in Utah.

Lawmakers in other states, including New Hampshire and California, have already looked into banning TSA gropedowns.
Redlands California

Hesperia, CA

#2511 May 29, 2011
When is the Redlands, California to built it up new Redlands Employment & Community Options Office of new full-service snack bar cafeteria/new Burger King Restaurant during lunch time to visit web at www.bk.com and www.communityoptions.org is will be grand opening?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ontario Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 4 hr The pharts 33,111
Rancho Cucamonga could be a better city (Sep '11) Fri Iliveinrancho 17
Poll east side pomona rifa (Mar '08) May 25 That MOFO 266
Rancho Cucamonga Mugshots and Criminal Arrest R... (Sep '16) May 25 Ido 3
Ontario Mugshots and Criminal Arrest Records (Sep '16) May 25 life 3
News San Bernardino stabbing victim, 16, was L.A. ga... (May '08) May 24 powerball win 201... 112
News Motorcycle rider dies after losing control in O... (Sep '09) May 24 Anonymous 28

Ontario Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Ontario Mortgages